• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering buying at Smugglers Notch. Please help.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
Considering buying the following unit. Prefer to keep the price anonymous for now and just learn/hear what everyone has to say. Please post suggested offer prices PRIVATELY.

It's a 3 bedroom with 3 bedrooms, 3 full baths, deck, week 31 at Smugglers Notch. Comes with a float week too. Fixed week worth 110,000 points. Floater worth 65,000 points.

I have no idea what closings costs are or what closing agency to use. If anyone has suggestions that has done those areas please suggest and let me know what to expect for costs.

I assume to ask to see a copy of clear title and verification of layout/features and rci points values. Not sure what else to ask for prior to closing.

Since doing this privately I'm aware the Smugglers benefits package costs. I've been told and confirmed that it's $1250 per person per week, so for a family of four that's $10,000 to add on. Not sure when this part happens (after closing privately with Smuggs?) nor how we let Smuggs know of the changes when we close. Do they have a say or have to approve something?

Any general suggestions or Smugglers Notch related suggestions are appreciated.

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
just closed on Smuggs Week 7 plus one floating week. Also in the RCI pionts program, private sale. 2 bed , 2 bath.

JRA services (they advertise on TUG) were used, they charge $275 fee plus any county recording fee. They recorded the deed, sent me a copy of the deed, which I faxed to smuggs contract department (ask for Angie) and now I am the new owner. I have no intention of making smuggs rich by buying the benefits package that does not transfer if I sell my unit, does not transfer if I rent my unit. Buyer and seller split 50% each on closing costs.

Last edited:

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is free at Smugglers Notch?

I saw the summer pass description (pasted below) and remember someone saying that certain things in the list are free even if you don't purchase the pass. Can anyone help me figure that out? Our unit does not have a private pool for the building (like Sycamores or North Hill units), so we think we should have access to the Courtside pool and the Fun Zone at a minimum. Here's their list:

---------------------------------------
Summer 2010

In order to fully enjoy your vacation we recommend that you consider purchasing our Summer SmuggsPass. The cost of the SmuggsPass is $45 per day (plus tax) per home. The pass must be purchased for your entire length of stay. The SmuggsPass entitles everyone staying in your home access to the following activities* and facilities:

Unlimited Use of 8 Heated Pools & 4 Waterslides:

Mountainside Water Park including the 300 foot Giant Rapid River Ride, Turtleslide and Little Smugglers’ Lagoon
Notchville Park with the Twister Waterslide and Lily Pad walk
Courtside Pool with the Flume Slide and 2 hot tubs
Rum Runners’ Hideaway, home to our 25 foot Aqua Jump

Unlimited Use of the FunZone Family Entertainment Center: giant slide, bouncy house, obstacle course, mini-golf, kid's climbing wall, arcade games, and more

PLUS:

Stretch & Go 1, 2, & 3, Smuggsational Family Social, Teen Karaoke, Sterling Pond Hike, Marko’s Magic Show, Funtastic Family Challenge, Woodland Mini-Golf, Bird’s and Bloomers Walk, Family Splashdown, Aqua Aerobics, Bootleggers’ Basin Wike, Bonfire Sing-along, Adult Basketball, Forest Heritage Wike, Entertainment with Goodtime Charlie, FunMeister’s Clubhouse, Family Ties — I-Did-A-Cart, Disc Golf, Woodland Wildlife Wike, Bigger is Better, Watermelon Walk, Aqua-Volleyball, Nature Center, Village Garden Tour, Outer Limits, Teen Alley, 80's Dance Night, Disc Golf, Teen Dodgeball Tourney, Liquid Courage Karaoke, Bingo Blast, Explore Morse Mountain, Down on the Farm, Mount Mansfield Hike, Bears and Berries Wike, Adult Volleyball, Beaver Meadow Hike, Nightspiker DJ Dance Party, Hideaway and Beyond Hike, Golf Tips, Vermont Maple Nature Walk, Pirate's Rain Gutter Regatta, High Peak Tour and more!

Discounts:

10% off the daily childcare rate at TREASURES.
15% off the purchase of non-sale items at 3 Mountain Outfitters.
30% discount off our Discovery, Trail Blazers, Adventure, Notch Squad and Explorer Camp Programs.

*Fee based activities such as massage, Artists in the Mountains, Water & Wine Trip are additional and are not covered by the SmuggsPass. These fees apply to Summer 2010 and are subject to change.
------------------------------------

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Do exchangers get these benefits? If so, then you need to reconsider a purchase there, if you can get benefits as an exchanger. What are the benefits?

Shifty, why are you considering a purchase of Smuggs, if you can trade in? What value does this thing have for you personally? Are you saying you will have to pay $10K to have the benefits as a resale buyer? So it's $1,250 X 4 X 2 units?

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
just closed on Smuggs Week 7 plus one floating week. Also in the RCI pionts program, private sale. 2 bed , 2 bath.

JRA services (they advertise on TUG) were used, they charge $275 fee plus any county recording fee. They recorded the deed, sent me a copy of the deed, which I faxed to smuggs contract department (ask for Angie) and now I am the new owner. I have no intention of making smuggs rich by buying the benefits package that does not transfer if I sell my unit, does not transfer if I rent my unit. Buyer and seller split 50% each on closing costs.

Thanks for the tip. $275 for both people seems reasonable. We were thinking we might want to have separate legal counsel, but not sure if that's necessary here.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do exchangers get these benefits? If so, then you need to reconsider a purchase there, if you can get benefits as an exchanger. What are the benefits?

Shifty, why are you considering a purchase of Smuggs, if you can trade in? What value does this thing have for you personally? Are you saying you will have to pay $10K to have the benefits as a resale buyer? So it's $1,250 X 4 X 2 units?

I'm pretty sure if I rent or deposit in RCI the renters or exchangers do not get access. Not sure if I give it to a guest (relative) with no rental fee.

I don't currently own anywhere so I can't trade in. I want the consistency of the same unit and with RCI's 4 in 1 rule I can't exchange in each year, only once every 4 years. This resort is within driving distance and a great resort and has shown to hold up value decently and rent well (though we're not considering this an investment), just in case. We rented here this past summer and loved it even though it was off season. Have done a lot of research on what the resort has to offer.

Yes, the $10K is IF WE purchase the benefits package privately ($1250 per person, per week (2 weeks) x 4). If we don't purchase the package then we pay the weekly rate each time we go if we want to and the camps are discounted instead of free. We could purchase the unit through Smuggs which would allow us to pay only $500 per person per week ($4000 total), but the seller would have to pay commissions, etc.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Shifty, if you love Smuggler's Notch and want to go there every year, you should definitely buy it, and you should add the benefits, if you can save cold hard cash by adding them now.

You are still saving a mint over buying from the developer.

I can see prime summer weeks with RCI Points, and that is why I asked why you would buy, if you can trade in, but if every exchanger has to pay for the pools and the day camp for the kids (is it really $80 per day, per kid?), and you wouldn't have to pay after that one big fee, then I say go for it.

I have no idea what a week at Smuggs is worth on the resale market. :shrug:

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shifty, if you love Smuggler's Notch and want to go there every year, you should definitely buy it, and you should add the benefits, if you can save cold hard cash by adding them now.

You are still saving a mint over buying from the developer.

I can see prime summer weeks with RCI Points, and that is why I asked why you would buy, if you can trade in, but if every exchanger has to pay for the pools and the day camp for the kids (is it really $80 per day, per kid?), and you wouldn't have to pay after that one big fee, then I say go for it.

I have no idea what a week at Smuggs is worth on the resale market. :shrug:

Yeah it's now $85/day/kid though you don't have to go all days. If you want the pass though you have to pay for all the days (7 x $45) which stinks because with traveling time you may not really be there the arrival and departure days. I was told this past summer when I called I could buy the pass 2 days in for the rest of the week but I couldn't pick and choose each day.

If we want to go there every year the exchange through RCI won't work because of the 4 in 1 rule and the rental rates are often the same as the total MF for both weeks combined.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
I merged your threads. A gentle suggestion - if you have more questions about this purchase, post them in this thread instead of starting a new one.

Here are more threads about Smuggler's Notch that you may find helpful - http://www.google.com/search?client=gmail&rls=gm&q="smugglers notch"site:tugbbs.com

Thanks. I wasn't sure if since it was different topics it should be merged or not. I guess since the same resort that's fine. I was just hoping people wouldn't skip this thread since the title doesn't mention the title info from the other thread. Note taken.

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I considered purchasing at Smuggs before. I think it used to hold value very well. Buying from ebay can save you some but not nearly as much as most of the other resorts. That has changed recently though. I've seen Smuggs on ebay for very low price recently although they do not appear too often. I think their policy on the benefit package had something to do with it. They no longer allow renters to use the benefit package. That probably had a huge impact on rental. They also added the fee for exchangers to use the facility in summer and winter. Although Smuggs prime weeks are not sitting online, it is not hard to trade in any more. Smuggs used to top my direct exchange list. I don't think it is that attractive any more since I would have to pay the same fee as an exchanger even if the owner has the benefit package. I could not even use the pool without paying over $300.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI inbounds pay $45/day/unit (not /person) in summer 2010 for a smuggs pass that covers the pools, and a 30% discount on the camps, if I'm reading it right:

http://www.smuggs.com/pages/winter/rci/summerBenefits.php

Sounds right. I think right now with very young ones we won't buy it when we go. They are so content with a little blow up pool so we can just use Courtside. When older perhaps they'll want the other pools or camps so we can start buying then.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
I considered purchasing at Smuggs before. I think it used to hold value very well. Buying from ebay can save you some but not nearly as much as most of the other resorts. That has changed recently though. I've seen Smuggs on ebay for very low price recently although they do not appear too often. I think their policy on the benefit package had something to do with it. They no longer allow renters to use the benefit package. That probably had a huge impact on rental. They also added the fee for exchangers to use the facility in summer and winter. Although Smuggs prime weeks are not sitting online, it is not hard to trade in any more. Smuggs used to top my direct exchange list. I don't think it is that attractive any more since I would have to pay the same fee as an exchanger even if the owner has the benefit package. I could not even use the pool without paying over $300.

I've been watching lots of sites online for months waiting for a decent Smuggs deal and haven't seen anything like the one on redweek that went for under $5K. Still kicking myself for missing that one. I haven't seen anything but rentals on ebay. no prime summer weeks at least. I wish there was an alert service for ebay :)

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been watching lots of sites online for months waiting for a decent Smuggs deal and haven't seen anything like the one on redweek that went for under $5K. Still kicking myself for missing that one. I haven't seen anything but rentals on ebay. no prime summer weeks at least. I wish there was an alert service for ebay :)

There is an alert service by your key words. Specify your key words and ebay will notify if there are listings meeting your key words.

Yes, prime summer weeks at Smuggs are rare on ebay at reasonable price. Even if they do show up, somebody may be asking opening bid of $18000 or so.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If we want to go there every year the exchange through RCI won't work because of the 4 in 1 rule and the rental rates are often the same as the total MF for both weeks combined.

RCI Points doesn't have to abide by 1-in-4 rules. Don't ask me why, because I don't get it either.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is an alert service by your key words. Specify your key words and ebay will notify if there are listings meeting your key words.

Yes, prime summer weeks at Smuggs are rare on ebay at reasonable price. Even if they do show up, somebody may be asking opening bid of $18000 or so.

Really? Cool! I'll have to figure out how to do that.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish there was an alert service for ebay :)
Really? Cool! I'll have to figure out how to do that.
Yep, it's really cool and very powerful. Basically, just narrow down a search exactly like you want (category, keywords, negative keywords, type of auction, and price range, and anything else you want), then click "Save this search and alert me later". You can save it and tell it how long to keep the search active.

I have dozens of them set up.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yep, it's really cool and very powerful. Basically, just narrow down a search exactly like you want (category, keywords, negative keywords, type of auction, and price range, and anything else you want), then click "Save this search and alert me later". You can save it and tell it how long to keep the search active.

I have dozens of them set up.

Thanks Michael. I should have known. Sometimes you learn the basics and then never notice the new features over the years.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have owned there for over 11 years. You cannot use any pools, including Courtside, I believe, or the Fun Zone, without a pass. You can do things like Bingo and the Bonfire Singalong, and the walks (I think), etc. but not the wikes and hikes, etc. Renters and Exchangers would have to buy a pass. If I were you I would purchase it one way or another - you will get many years of use out of it if you have small children. And no hassles with using whatever you want when you want.

Good luck!

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's not what I've been told in the past. I was told there were certain pools (Courtside) that people could use without the pass. If there were none they'd essentially be forcing people to buy the pass because who goes to a resort for the week without a pool to use? Others here have said otherwise.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Exactly. They could be right Things change rapidly! I just know when we use Courtside they have staff look at our "tags" and I know we at least used to have to sign in (we are Sycamores owners). I don't know why they went to this separate benefit package cost anyway. Except for maybe the camps, I think the whole thing is stupid and confusing.