Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timesharing > Buying, Selling, Renting

Buying, Selling, Renting Discuss all aspects of buying, selling and renting timeshares here. No advertising allowed!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old January 27, 2011, 08:56 PM   #1
ada903

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 26, 08

Resorts: Starwood, Marriott, Worldmark
Claiming a timeshare sale 1099-S form on my turbotax

Does anyone know where to properly claim the 1099-S timeshare sale on my tax return using Turbotax software? It is not a home sale or an investment so I am not sure which category to file it under! Thanks!
ada903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2011, 06:31 AM   #2
Dave H
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 28, 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by ada903 View Post
Does anyone know where to properly claim the 1099-S timeshare sale on my tax return using Turbotax software? It is not a home sale or an investment so I am not sure which category to file it under! Thanks!
First the usual.... not a tax accountant.... but I think there is a specific form for the sale of real estate that gets filed as part of the tax return. you might want to check www.irs.gov it might be done as part of Schedule "D" but again, not sure of exactly where.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2011, 07:01 AM   #3
ada903

TUG Member

That's what i found on the internet too, that you have to use schedule D, but not sure where on turbotax online to find that.. I'll keep digging. Thanks Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
First the usual.... not a tax accountant.... but I think there is a specific form for the sale of real estate that gets filed as part of the tax return. you might want to check www.irs.gov it might be done as part of Schedule "D" but again, not sure of exactly where.
Old January 28, 2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Talent312

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 4, 07

Resorts: HGVC, Gatlinburg
In a sense, it is the sale of a "home," just not a principal residence.

I'm using TaxAct online this year (I find it better suits my needs), but if memory serves, one can bring up a complete list of Forms and Schedules in TurboTax thru a tab or link on the menu line.
― Robin Williams (revising his quote from Dead Poet's Society)
Talent312 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2011, 08:45 AM   #5
janej
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 26, 05
Do you have to include all timeshare sales in your tax? I've never received 1099 for timeshare sales and have not made any profit on any either.
janej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2011, 08:57 AM   #6
ada903

TUG Member

If you received a form 1099S, you must report the sale. I think even if you don't receive one, you must report the sale. The profit is taxable. If you made a loss however, you cannot claim a deduction for the loss, unless you argue the property was an investment.

I ended up putting it under investment income, specifying that it was a personal use item and not an investment, after searching Q&A's on this topic.
Old January 29, 2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Miss Marty

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05
Post Form 1099-S 'Proceeds From Real Estate Transactions'

IRS Publication 523

If the 1099-S was for a timeshare or vacation home:

The property would be considered a personal capital asset to you and the sale would be reportable on Federal Schedule D. A gain on this sale is reportable income. If you incurred a loss on the sale you are not allowed to deduct this loss since it is personal use property. For inherited property the asset would be considered investment property and the capital gain or loss would be reported on Schedule D. If you have a loss the IRS will be looking for the sale to be reported on your return, so you would enter a cost equal to the sales price so that the gain/loss reported is zero.
Miss Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2011, 05:30 PM   #8
Mel

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Orange Lake Country Club, Kissimmee Tropical Breeze (x2), Panama City Beach
If you inherit it, and sell it, it is considered investment property. However, if you use it yourself once you inherit it, it is converted to personal use property. Unless you purchase a timeshare for the specific purpose of renting it out, and do so on a regular basis, you'll be hard pressed to convince the IRS it's an investment property so you can claim a loss. Also remember, if you claim it as an investment property you have to recapture allowed depreciation (whether you claimed it or not). You'll also have trouble claiming it as rental property if you didn't report the income from it each year on schedule D.
Old January 30, 2011, 09:59 AM   #9
Rent_Share

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 10, 05

Resorts: WorldMark 15K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
if you didn't report the income from it each year on schedule D.
IMHO the prior rental income,expenses and "depreciation" would have ne on a schedule C
Rent_Share is offline   Reply With Quote