Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timesharing > Buying, Selling, Renting

Buying, Selling, Renting Discuss all aspects of buying, selling and renting timeshares here. No advertising allowed!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old February 20, 2011, 06:22 AM   #1
TUGBrian
Administrator

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Mar 24, 06
Wall St. Journal article on Timeshares and resales

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Started as an article specifically about Marriott spinning off its timeshare division, after a few hours on the phone with the reporter...it took on more of a spin towards the horrible resale market!

Hope he does more articles, he seemed genuinely interested in timeshares...and visits mexico regularly.
TUGBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2011, 10:06 AM   #2
alicep12

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 21, 11
Defunct Timeshare Market

I also read the article. Mention was made of "increasing default rates".
What are the consequences of simply defaulting on the contract, ie: simply stopping MF payments? AP12
alicep12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2011, 10:15 AM   #3
TUGBrian
Administrator

TUG Lifetime Member

same consequenses you would face if you defaulted on any other loan or mortgage payment etc.
Old February 21, 2011, 10:31 AM   #4
ronparise

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 10, 11

Resorts: Wyndham, Worldmark, and weeks in New Orleans, San Antonio, New Mexico and Hawaii
consequences

As Brian suggested; not paying maintenance fees will subject you to certain consequences.

Chances are there will be many here that will rail against the thought that anyone would just walk away from their contractual obligation. But of course thats not your question. You seem to realize that there will be consequences and your un-stated question is...What are they?

My answer is ...It depends.

It depends on the resort and their policy,

First understand that you are in debt to the POA at your particular resort. They might start the collection process with few nice phone calls. they might employ a collection company and they could foreclose. On the otherhand, they might just accept a deed in lieu of foreclosure and hold the time to rent or resell.

Possible consequences of not paying are bad credit, garnishment of wages and or other assets, foreclosure. Of course the debt continues to mount up, until you are off the deed

If you cant or just wont pay, I suggest trying to sell it first, If you cant sell it contact the POA and tell them your problem and offer it back to them. If none of that works you are stuck with no good choices

my website

my other website

Last edited by ronparise; February 21, 2011 at 03:01 PM.
ronparise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2011, 11:35 AM   #5
e.bram

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Surfside resort(MA) 3 weeks OceanCliff I&2 (RI) Newport Overlook(RI) 2weeks
I say, bring back the debtors prison.
e.bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2011, 03:15 PM   #6
ronparise

TUG Member

Resorts: Wyndham, Worldmark, and weeks in New Orleans, San Antonio, New Mexico and Hawaii
e

While a debtors prison is an interesting option to consider. And it might be enough incentive to make sure those than can pay; do pay. The fact is, if the debtor truly cant pay; the debt dosent get paid. And in the case of a timeshare resort the maintenance fees will be increased for everyone else. The better solution in my mind is a meaningful collections policy, carried to its logical end...foreclosure. The resort can then either resell the time or rent it.

Although I dont know the details, I spoke with a small resort that is offering for sale (at rates more than the dollar sales on ebay, but less than replacement cost or retail) the weeks that they have taken back. It seems that the goal is to get these weeks in the hands of someone willing and able to pay, and away from those that dont pay as quickly as possible//// This is a policy that makes sense to me.

my website

my other website
Old February 21, 2011, 09:00 PM   #7
e.bram

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Surfside resort(MA) 3 weeks OceanCliff I&2 (RI) Newport Overlook(RI) 2weeks
Why foreclose. I assume the majority of the owners who want to quit paying MFs would happily deed back their TSes. What makes you surmise that the TS could sell TSes that don't bring any bids at $1.00.
e.bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011, 06:28 AM   #8
ronparise

TUG Member

e

my thoughts exactly, as I suggested in my post:

for the debtor...If you cant pay for it, and you cant sell it; give it back

and the poa needs to get it cash-flowing again, which to me, means, either sell it or if that cant be done rent it

You bring up an interesting question...what if there is really no market for this week, If thats the case and there are lots of these worthless weeks, then its time for some creative action and a restructure of the resort ownership and operations...which could be to close the resort in the off season..to save the operating cost, or perhaps end the timeshare and resell the units as condos...or in the extreme...do a Friar Tuck...declare bankruptcy

my website

my other website
Old February 22, 2011, 07:46 AM   #9
dmorea
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Dec 15, 06

Resorts: Stratton Mountain ski-in s- out condo Royal Caribbean ,wk12 Marriotts ManorClub-pl Marriott MOU Plat ski
What makes you surmise that the TS could sell TSes that don't bring any bids at $1.00.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect , I thinks its very possible.

The same reasoning that people buy from the sponsors at retail rather than buy resale.. thousands do... you decide to stay at a resort and like it... theres one available for not so much extra nothing like developer costs.. I can see the appeal. Marketing a few at a time with the resorts backing rather than by individual owners and having a rental pool might be cost efficient too and lend a certain feeling of security of knowing who you are dealing with as opposed to a private owner...
dmorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011, 07:50 AM   #10
TUGBrian
Administrator

TUG Lifetime Member

there are a few better solutions than the current one at many resorts for sure (just pursuing foreclosure)...

one would assume that things certainly cannot keep heading the way they are heading without some sort of change.

youll find arguments on all sides for what may or may not work unfortunately...and change is a very difficult thing for many resorts (and owners for that matter) to deal with.

no matter what decision is made, there are some people that wont agree with it.