Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timesharing > Exchanging

Exchanging Discuss all aspects of exchanging timeshare intervals here including RCI Points, whether through Exchange Companies (RCI, II and Others), or directly with other owners. Please no advertisements which belong elsewhere on TUG. Ads will be deleted.

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old February 20, 2011, 11:18 AM   #1
tcrny
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jan 23, 11
How to exchange for cruise - II or ICE?

Hi everyone. At Christmas we purchased for first time a 2 BR at Westgate Palace in Orlando for week 51 and want to exchange for a cruise this summer. This is my first timeshare and I'm confused where to start. With our timeshare we have membership to II and ICE. I'm trying to read up but so much info that I'm not sure which place to contact first. Has anyone done this and point me in the right direction? Thanks so much.
tcrny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Cheryl20772

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 5, 10

Resorts: Panama City Beach 308K VIP, Grand Seas Daytona (Club Navigo) - 1 wk
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrny View Post
Hi everyone. At Christmas we purchased for first time a 2 BR at Westgate Palace in Orlando for week 51 and want to exchange for a cruise this summer. This is my first timeshare and I'm confused where to start. With our timeshare we have membership to II and ICE. I'm trying to read up but so much info that I'm not sure which place to contact first. Has anyone done this and point me in the right direction? Thanks so much.
We haven't used II or Ice to book a cruise, but have looked at RCI and I'm afraid you are going to find it's going to cost you more money than you expect to exchange for a cruise. It's never a points = cruise swap. Just to prepare you for the inevitable.
Cheryl20772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2011, 01:34 PM   #3
eal
TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Geoholiday points, Pacific Shores, Manteo Beach, Glacier Wilderness, Poste Montane, Villas of Sedona, Whistler TwinPeaks
You would be MUCH better off finding a cruise at a reliable discounter such as vacationstogo.com and using your timeshare either for a vacation or a trade. You will end up paying lots of $$ extra for a cruise through any exchange company.
eal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Judy
TUG Review Crew: Expert

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 10, 05

Resorts: Legacy Resort World of Orlando; Hatteras High;Worldmark; Buddy Dive (Lions Dive Bonaire)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eal View Post
You would be MUCH better off finding a cruise at a reliable discounter such as vacationstogo.com and using your timeshare either for a vacation or a trade. You will end up paying lots of $$ extra for a cruise through any exchange company.
First check the prices on all the cruises you're interested in on vacationstogo.com, other online discounters, and on the cruise lines' websites. THEN, with the prices, including taxes and fees, in your hand, call II and ICE to see what they'll offer. I agree with other posters that usually, you're better off to just purchase a cruise and use your timeshare for something else. But occasionally the exchange companies offer a good deal. Be careful, the ICE and II cruise representatives are salespeople and especially if you haven't cruised much before, it's easy to misunderstand their pitch and pay too much Don't forget to consider the value of your timeshare and its maintenance fee.
Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011, 04:23 AM   #5
Carolinian

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05
Be sure to add up all the fees. Very often the cash cost of a ''cruise exchange'' is more than you could buy the same cruise for from a cruise discounter. And the cruise discounter, unlike the ''cruise exchange'' does not require you to give up your timeshare week!

Here is a list of clickable links to cruise discounter sites:

http://www.timeshareforums.com/links/cruise-ships-8/
Old February 22, 2011, 06:30 AM   #6
Learntoselltimeshare

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 21, 11

Resorts: Liki Tiki Village Week 47 Worldmark 10,000 Pts
Being an ex-timeshare sales guy I can assure you that timeshare's were never meant to be cruise programs. This is the math you need to use to evaluate a cruise option.

If you purchased a 2 bedroom at Westgate for Christmas week you prob paid about $18,000, and I assume you financed it so you are probably paying at least 13% interest. Your Maint. Fee for Orlando has to be around $650 or more as well. So if you own a timeshare for 10 years (normal loan time) you will spend
the following each year....

Estimated monthly payment $268x12 = $3216
Maint. Fee = $650

Total $3866 per year you spend on your timeshare.

Add to that the fees they will charge you to trade in your week for a cruise (average $250 per person) and you have one of the worst cruise deals possible.

Now if you paid off your timeshare and didn't finance....

$18,000 divided by 10 years (average length of time an owner keeps a timeshare) $ 1800 per year plus the $650 = $2450 per week a year.

Now $2450 divided by 7 nights is $350 a night for a 2 bedroom condo for Christmas week, an ok price. But $350 a night for a Cruise plus the fees they charge you is absolute robbery....

My sites Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84ud42-L_dU
Learntoselltimeshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2011, 04:36 PM   #7
tcrny
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jan 23, 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learntoselltimeshare View Post
Being an ex-timeshare sales guy I can assure you that timeshare's were never meant to be cruise programs. This is the math you need to use to evaluate a cruise option.

If you purchased a 2 bedroom at Westgate for Christmas week you prob paid about $18,000, and I assume you financed it so you are probably paying at least 13% interest. Your Maint. Fee for Orlando has to be around $650 or more as well. So if you own a timeshare for 10 years (normal loan time) you will spend
the following each year....

Estimated monthly payment $268x12 = $3216
Maint. Fee = $650

Total $3866 per year you spend on your timeshare.

Add to that the fees they will charge you to trade in your week for a cruise (average $250 per person) and you have one of the worst cruise deals possible.

Now if you paid off your timeshare and didn't finance....

$18,000 divided by 10 years (average length of time an owner keeps a timeshare) $ 1800 per year plus the $650 = $2450 per week a year.

Now $2450 divided by 7 nights is $350 a night for a 2 bedroom condo for Christmas week, an ok price. But $350 a night for a Cruise plus the fees they charge you is absolute robbery....
Yes, you are pretty much right on regarding the price. Thank you very much for explaining this out for me ... it makes perfect sense. Because we told them we mainly cruised, thats what they used as part of sale tactic. But absolutely, your explanation really helped me. Thanks so much!
tcrny is offline   Reply With Quote