• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone have something nice to say [about Mayan Palace] ???

dollydaydream

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new to this group and I'm just a guest for now, I recently purchased at the Mayan Palace............I am very concerned to see no positive reports, can anyone reassure me please.
Dolly

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I have moved this new post from the long thread in the Timeshare Boot Camp sticky.

Those who love Mayan Palace, here's your chance to shine.

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Mayan Palace and the Grupo Mayan

We will be in the Grand Mayan a week from Saturday:whoopie: :whoopie:

Our first trip to Mexico was to the MP in Nuevo, great trip. We have since stayed in the MP in PV in the Marina area, and the GM on the Rivera Maya, and the GM in Nuevo is our favorite resort.

The majority of the less than flattering posts here revolve around the sales tours. This is one gal that sincerely didn't like the large resort and has taken it upon herself to try t keep everyone away from any and all Grupo Mayan resorts. You will read her posts soon enough.:doh:

Do you have questions ? We would be happy to help you get the best out of your ownership.

Greg

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have stayed 10 weeks at the Grand Mayans in Riviera Maya and Nuevo Vallarta. We are not owners there nor do we own at any Mexican timeshare so I have no vested interest. All of our stays were exchanges through San Francisco Exchange "SFX".

In our 24 years of timesharing, the Grand Mayans are our favorite resorts by far and we have stayed at many top timeshares including the Royals, HGVC, Marriott, etc. The resorts are very well kept and the service is superb. The Grand Mayan units are quite elegant. They are one of the only resorts where we can have a great time without leaving the resort. They are more like a luxury 5* resort than a timeshare.

Last edited:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I bought from the MP in 1995 and I love their resorts. The resorts are first class and I have always gotten good service and found the employees very friendly. I wish I had known about resales before I bought but after 16 yrs it doesn't matter anymore. Yes, their sales force is very high pressure and I don't like the bad reputation they have. If it's not too late, I would recommend you rescind your purchase and buy resale.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It is probably too late, but just in case it's been less than 5 days since you bought, you should rescind, do your homework, and then buy resale for pennies on the dollar.

You have a legal right to rescind.

ArthurN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although we do not own at the MP, we would count MP properties as some of our favorite resorts. We have never had a bad trip to an MP property. As a matter of fact, we will be at the MP Riviera Maya 4/1 to 4/8 via an SFX trade. Can't wait to go. That being said, we have never attended a sales presentation and never will - why ruin a perfectly good trip. As others have stated, rescind if you can. If not, rest assured you have access to great group of resorts that you will enjoy for many vacations to come. Everything I have seen suggests that Grupo Mayan takes really good care of their properties and ensures the service is up to par as well. Unfortunately, from all accounts their sales tactics leave a lot to be desired - and that's really sad for such a class resort otherwise.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
We have had an excellent experience staying at the Grand Mayans. The Mayan Palace resorts share the same properties including the dining and the pools. During our vacations at the Grand Mayans I did not run into any people having a bad time at either Grupo Maya facilities. However, I would avoid the sales pitch.
timeshare_pest_control.jpg

dollydaydream

Reaction score
Should I buy another week on the resale market ?

Dear All,

Thank you for your advice, I do not know where to buy a week from, I purchased 3 days ago and I can't return back to Cancun. Any advice is welcome, can you really buy for pennies on the dollar ??? why would that be ??? I know when you buy a new car when you drive it away it is worth less but I was told I was purchasing a resale anyway, I am very confused 59,000 US for 10 years of fabulous vacations for 6 people seems like good value.

I am a little overwhelmed with the whole experience any advice is appreciated.
Thank you

Dolly

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You don't have to drive back to the resort - you can AND SHOULD rescind by mail immediately.

Yes, you can really buy for pennies on the dollar on the resale market - look at these Ads for resales in Mexico - http://realestate.shop.ebay.com/i.h...kw=&_osacat=15897&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Look through your purchase papers and see if you can find the instructions for rescission (although they are notorious for leaving them out in Mexico.)

If not, here is an advice article that can give you some guidance - it was written for another resort, but everything else applies to you:
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74493

Be SURE you dispute it with your credit card company immediately, and block any further payments. Be aware that they may have opened a new credit card Acct. for you - look in your purchase papers.

I would NOT call the sales office - they will do anything and everything possible to block your rescission. Even if they TELL you that you don't have the right to rescind in Mexico - YOU DO! It's the law - even in Mexico.

Don't delay - it's critical to have it post marked within 5 days of signing the contract.

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I purchased 3 days ago and I can't return back to Cancun. Any advice is welcome, can you really buy for pennies on the dollar ???
According to Mexican law you have five business days after purchasing to rescind. Check this brochure from Profecoabout your right to rescind. There should be instructions in the contract you signed about the procedure to rescind. Follow them exactly. If you can't find the instructions follow the procedure that Profeco describes: send a certified letter with your name, address, date of signing, and a simple message that you are rescinding your contract and you want any money you paid refunded immediately. It's very important that send the letter "certified return receipt" because you will need proof that you mailed it within the five-day period.

Since you are unsure if your purchase was a good deal, take some time to do some more research. Check out the resale market. Spend some more time here and learn all you can. Then after all your research if you still think your original purchase was a good deal for you, I'll bet you can buy it again. But, rescind immediately. You have just this once chance to rescind--if you let the time pass, you won't be able to do it.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh My Goodness! 3 days! Don't delay! Absolutely rescind. Do it tomorrow as that will be the 4th business day and you are only allowed to do it within 5.

Yes, you truly can buy exactly what you have for pennies on the dollar. Timeshares right now are almost worth less than nothing. People regularly PAY to give them away. PLEASE rescind following EXACTLY the instructions contained in the papers you signed. If they had you initial that you waive this privilege, don't believe it, rescission is your right under Mexican law!

I know you will get more advice over the next few days than you can possibly digest, but it's for your own good.

Welcome to TUG- You are among friends here!

Jim Ricks

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jim - tomorrow is Friday - I don't think she should wait until Monday.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
can you really buy for pennies on the dollar ??? why would that be ???
Just google "Mayan Palace Resales" to see ads for the resort you bought. The resale market for timeshares is flooded with timeshares--far more supply than demand--and lots of people want out because they can't afford the annual fees or the high cost of flights to get to the resorts.

Paying the initial cost of a timeshare is not the only expense in owning one. There are annual maintenance fees that usually always increase every year. You are liable for those fees every year as long as you own the timeshare. (I think maybe some of the Mayan Palace resorts have some feature whereby you don't pay an annual fee if you don't use your week some year, but why pay all that money to buy one if you're not going to use it. You can rent from another owner anyway, so it's often better to rent than buy these days.)

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Right here on TUG, I found 6 ads in the marketplace for 2BR/2BA timeshares at various Grupo Mayan resorts for $1000 to $6500. With both the mode pricing being $3,999.

The resorts look beautiful. I can certainly understand their appeal.

Rescind and buy resale --- right here on TUG.

elaine

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have had an excellent experience staying at the Grand Mayans. The Mayan Palace resorts share the same properties including the dining and the pools.

That is not actually true. Both the Grand Mayan - Riviera Maya and Grand Mayan - Nuevo Vallarta have their own amenities that can't be used by Mayan Palace guests. Both resorts have separate GM pools and lazy rivers as well as other amenities. Grand Mayan guests have access to both MP and GM facilities but not the reverse.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim - tomorrow is Friday - I don't think she should wait until Monday.

Y'know, that happens when you are retired. All the days are alike. Apologies to all! Yes, rescind tomorrow! JR

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you are able to rescind, and I hope you are, then I would take some time to learn more about timesharing. The bargains are always there. You can try renting a timeshare week first. They are easy to get at a reasonable price.

I don't believe in buying Mexican timeshares because Mexico is very easy to exchange into and as such have poor trading power.

Having said that, if you still want to buy, then I would recommend buying the Grand Mayan rather than Mayan Palace. Even though they share the same property, the Grand Mayan units are a lot nicer and you have more amenities. The resale price should still be pretty cheap.

You can't compare buying a timeshare to buying a car. We always buy new cars because we like the fact that we are the only ones that have used it and we aren't buying somebody else's problems. A timeshare will be used by other people regardless how you buy it.

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
Well...

When I see the local doomsayers...I have to come out to play.

.Dolly..If you are of limited means...Do as they say...I am not sure of what you purchased..but in that$$$ range ,you should have at least won top product..that is GRAND LUXXE 2b-room ..4 weeks a year.. almost unlimited golf.. many free massages ,to start..

If that is what you have purchased .... 60k is a fair price...for THAT unit..

If not you can talk to Mike for the very best way of dealing with the (system)..

Truth is...most here ,do not see what the VALUE is ,...in what you may have purchased..

Exchanging into the GRAND LUXXE is really not an option..

If you own this property..consider yourself (well cared for)..

If they sold you anything less,for that $$$$,..yes recind...

good luck....sally:)

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

Thank you for your advice, I do not know where to buy a week from, I purchased 3 days ago and I can't return back to Cancun. Any advice is welcome, can you really buy for pennies on the dollar ??? why would that be ??? I know when you buy a new car when you drive it away it is worth less but I was told I was purchasing a resale anyway, I am very confused 59,000 US for 10 years of fabulous vacations for 6 people seems like good value.

I am a little overwhelmed with the whole experience any advice is appreciated.
Thank you

Dolly

Rescind immediately.

Dolly, this is not a good value. Just look at the prices to rent someone else's timeshare - look on the TUG Marketplace, and look on Redweek.com for example. There is no way that you will pay $6,000 a week to rent someone else's.

The new vs resale is fairly irrelevant; a timeshare is new only the first night it opens. New means you are buying at developer prices, resale means you are buying a TS that someone turned back to the developer (default, or asked the developer to sell on his/her behalf) OR a TS that someone is trying to sell. Resale will be less expensive than original price - but resale through the developer is still high - and $59,000 for ten years is very very high.

Don't forget the maintenance fees (unless you have a special deal that won't include them) that you'll have to pay each year - generally in the $1000 +/- range - and of course food and drink and airfare.

Rescind immediately. You can rent someone else's, buy an inexpensive resale, or buy an inexpensive timeshare somewhere else and trade in to the Mayan resorts.

You can buy a resale on TUG, redweek.com, ebay, and other sources online. People give some timeshares away just to get out from the annual maintenance fees.

Don't worry that the deal you got won't be there ever again. If you rescind, you'll have time to do your research, and believe me, in the highly unlikely chance you decide to call them again for this $59,000 deal, they'll jump at the chance.

Last edited:

dollydaydream

Reaction score
Dilemma

Thank you, everyone for giving me your advice, I called Maria the sales gal I purchased from on her cell, and unfortunately she reminded me that I purchased a resale, it was a membership that was a foreclosure - and the 5 day cancel rule didn't apply as it was used when the sale first took place..............which makes sense, so I guess I am out of luck.................ugggggh!!!

It is not my day,

Thanks anyway,

Dolly

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you, everyone for giving me your advice, I called Maria the sales gal I purchased from on her cell, and unfortunately she reminded me that I purchased a resale, it was a membership that was a foreclosure - and the 5 day cancel rule didn't apply as it was used when the sale first took place..............which makes sense, so I guess I am out of luck.................ugggggh!!!

It is not my day,

Thanks anyway,

Dolly

You've been lied to - remember I told you not to call? :doh:

I would NOT call the sales office - they will do anything and everything possible to block your rescission. Even if they TELL you that you don't have the right to rescind in Mexico - YOU DO! It's the law - even in Mexico.

If you bought from the developer, you did not buy a resale! RESCIND! And for heaven sakes quit calling them!

One more time - do NOT believe them when they tell you that you can't rescind - they are lying!

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dolly, please listen to Denise. Rescind & do not call them again.

dollydaydream

Reaction score
I couldn't help it.

Please don't be angry, I didn't call the sales office like you told me, this was the sales gal who got us the deal, she is a good christian girl. I cannot believe she is lieing to me.

I am now feeling sick about the whole thing.

Dolly