• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2011] Rescind help! Need to go to Mex courts?

Marius33

Reaction score
I sent a letter to rescind within 5 M-F business days. But the Villa Group agent is telling me that in Mexico, Saturdays and Sundays count as business days, so I was one day late (signed Tue, sent letter FedEx Monday).

He's offering to cancel the contract anyway, if we don't go after the deposit ($3,155). But if we want to go for the deposit, or fight his interpretation of "business days", then he says he'll go after the entire amount ($14,000) plus fight to keep us in the contract, and we'll have to go through courts in Mexico, which he says will mean three different hearings in Mexico (Cabo I think). Obviously, we can't afford to go through that process.

Should I just accept his offer to cancel, and eat the $3,155 deposit/down payment? We did sign a form that had a line about waiving the return of the deposit, I know lots of people say that waiver isn't legally valid in Mexico, but I can't go to court in Mexico on this.

So, do I have to just lose the deposit, or is the guy lying about the need for Mexico hearings?

In case it matters, I think we were mislead during the sales process in two ways:

1) told that there was only one exchange fee though Interval Int, even if we split the week 3/4 at different resorts, but II told me on the phone that there's a separate exchange fee for each resort, and

2) told we could easily rent our first week to cover the maintenance fees for two weeks, and only use the second week, but it's a summer contract and from what I can tell with Mexico summer temps (95), I doubt that we can regularly rent out in summer (they'd assign us a specific summer week at a specific resort, which sounds pretty iffy).

Thanks for any advice.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Contact Profeco, the Mexican consumer protection agency. Here is their brochure with contact information. I think the guy is lying to you on a number of points. I don't think Sunday is a business day in Mexico & probably Saturday isn't either. The total amount of money you put down should be refundable and they cannot force you to give up your five days right to rescission, according to Profeco. The three hearings in a Mexican court are probably bogus as well.

Also dispute the down payment amount with your credit card company.

Last edited:

Marius33

Reaction score
Done it, but must I go to Mexican courts?

I sent an email to Profeco this morning, and told Amex we were disputing the deposit yesterday. I think Amex called Villa Group, which is why Villa Group finally called me last night.

Maybe Profeco will confirm that Sunday is not a business day, but Villa Group is saying they don't care if I get an email or find a website, they believe Sunday is a business day since they're open. In addition, they're saying they didn't get the cancellation letter, even though FedEx has a desk person's name.

Villa Group is saying unless I sign their letter soon, which I assume will include a promise not to ask Amex for the deposit, Villa Group will refuse to cancel, and the only way to challenge that would be to go to Mexico for multiple court hearings.

So unless there is another way to make sure the contract is canceled, I think I'll just sign the letter and eat the $3,155. I cannot afford to risk having to go to Mexico for court hearings about whether my cancellation letter was sent or was on time.

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems like you are being bullied for the $3,100...it's your money, but I'd try to find out what really happens (and not from the timeshare guy). I wouldn't accept any of his story (which is really a threat).

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Others may chime in here but most people who rescind a Mexico timeshare purchase find that the resort backs down once Profeco gets formally involved - you won't have to go to Mexico.

Stick to your guns!

Marius33

Reaction score
How do I get Profeco involved quickly?

That's great news. How do I get Profeco involved quickly? I emailed them this morning, told them the situation, asked for info about "business days," the waiver, and going to Mexico for court dates.

I think Villa Group is going to tell me this Sat that unless I agree to give up the deposit right away, they'll start legal proceedings that will mean I have to go to Mexico. The guy at Villa Group (Shane) seemed fine with me getting Profeco involved, and didn't try to dissuade me.

So I think I need more from Profeco than a simple confirmation of my complaint. Even if Profeco sends me an email confirming the "business days" and waiver issues, I suspect Villa Group is going to stick to their guns, and simply say they never got the letter. They know I don't want to risk having to go to court hearings in Mexico. Shane knows I'll blink (he's far better at this than I am).

Is there a way to quickly get Profeco to contact Villa Group to stop its threats, or some other more concrete action by Profeco?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Is there a way to quickly get Profeco to contact Villa Group to stop its threats, or some other more concrete action by Profeco?
Maybe you could call Profeco and speak to someone. There are phone numbers listed in the brochure I linked above.

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
YES call,, if it's that important call and talk with someone there, if not just send another email.. it only $3100 dollars.

I would be calling. that get's action quicker than email.. it means you are serious.

newbies got to loveum....

E

EducatedConsumer

Just curious, can a business in Mexico do anything to harm your credit in the US, or chase after you in US courts?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Just curious, can a business in Mexico do anything to harm your credit in the US, or chase after you in US courts?
Many of the operations in Mexico that do significant business with US tourists will also have a business presence in the US, specifically set up for the purpose of conducting operations in the US when it is to their advantage to do so. That includes activities such as managing collections.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many of the operations in Mexico that do significant business with US tourists will also have a business presence in the US, specifically set up for the purpose of conducting operations in the US when it is to their advantage to do so. That includes activities such as managing collections.
not to mention the consumer loan issued to purchase the TS is usually a US bank.

Marius33

Reaction score
Thanks, I called and Profeco is helping. Does it have clout?

Called Profeco, got to an English speaking person handling timeshare complaints, and she assured me Sat and Sun are not business days, so we should be OK. She says she'll review my info (contract, FedEx receipt, cancellation letter, ID) and get back to me today. If she thinks we have a valid complaint, she says Profeco will meet with a rep of the company to settle it. She sounded very professional and had good English skills. Phew. Thanks for the suggestion to call, I had missed the phone number, and assumed I'd just hear recordings anyway. (I did have to guess which number in the phone system to press, but got transferred around as soon as a human operator realized I needed an English-speaking agent.)

Does anyone know if Profeco has clout with Villa Group? If the rep does not show up to scheduled meetings, can Profeco do anything, or is it all voluntary? I think I'm going to rely on Profeco and refuse VG's offer to eat the downpayment to get out of the contract, but it would be great to know if anyone has experience with Profeco managing to settle a case.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think I'm going to rely on Profeco and refuse VG's offer to eat the downpayment to get out of the contract, but it would be great to know if anyone has experience with Profeco managing to settle a case.
That's a good plan. I know people have posted before about success with Profeco and I hope some will post again to this thread.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Profeco has clout with Villa Group? If the rep does not show up to scheduled meetings, can Profeco do anything, or is it all voluntary? I think I'm going to rely on Profeco and refuse VG's offer to eat the downpayment to get out of the contract, but it would be great to know if anyone has experience with Profeco managing to settle a case.

Profeco is a Government operation - not a voluntary one like the BBB in the US. So they do have "clout".

You are smart not to go along with any "offers" from the resort as they will ALWAYS favor themselves and you will not get what you deserve from them.

The whole timeshare world in Mexico as far as sales goes is far worse than in the US (where it is bad enough as we know!). Best to avoid any sales presentations as most of the time those that deal with them end up feeling overcharged or worse. Your story is all too common. Hope you can get out with little or no cost to you and that this is a lesson to avoid any future contact with timeshare retail sales as they all have a common approach. Avoid it.

Marius33

Reaction score
Thanks, got my deposit back

Thanks everyone, I got my deposit back. I don't know if it was Amex or Profeco, but someone must have contacted Villa Group before I did and they returned the deposit on my Amex.

Still no confirmation from Villa Group that the contract has been canceled. I assume I don't need to worry about that?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone, I got my deposit back. I don't know if it was Amex or Profeco, but someone must have contacted Villa Group before I did and they returned the deposit on my Amex.

Still no confirmation from Villa Group that the contract has been canceled. I assume I don't need to worry about that?
That's wonderful news! Thanks for letting us know. I wouldn't worry about the contract cancellation--if you got your money back, it must be finished. You have a copy of your rescission & proof they received it, so that's all you need.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There won't be a future repeat of this situation from you, but the lesson here is don't be scammed twice, buying retail in Mexico, and then believing the timeshare salesmen AGAIN about the deposit. He almost had you.
You were smart enough to seek advice from TUG and because of them, Profeco. But you still weren't immediately convinced.
Hope others can learn from this.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
That's wonderful news! Thanks for letting us know. I wouldn't worry about the contract cancellation--if you got your money back, it must be finished. You have a copy of your rescission & proof they received it, so that's all you need.

but never ever ever never misplace the paperwork for the next 50 yrs.. soon as you do they will reappear asking for money.. mark my words it has happened. Just ask clark howards audience members.. I remember hearing a story about this several years ago.. :(

still good news.. :)

dropkick

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, if you pay with a credit card and can't get to talk to someone,
call your credit card company. If they can't or won't talk to you, report the card as lost. All transactions from that point should be void, not the best advice but better than eating three thousand bucks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just a suggestion, if you pay with a credit card and can't get to talk to someone,
call your credit card company. If they can't or won't talk to you, report the card as lost. All transactions from that point should be void, not the best advice but better than eating three thousand bucks.

REALLY bad advice - the OP signed a contract which the sales Dept. would forward to the CC company - resulting in a fraudulent report to the credit card company.

equitax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Credit Card Chargebacks

DeniseM makes an excellent point. I would however like to point out that in my experience AMEX will side with the Cardmember much easier than Visa or MasterCard when it comes to disputes with merchants as the case would be here. Merchants also can only get their merchant account accept AMEX from AMEX which puts them in a deeper hole if they lose the ability to accept AMEX cards because they can't just go to another bank. I am not dissing visa and mc but AMEX does wave the sword a little more often.

I am a loyal AMEX cardholder since 1999 and have charged back about 5 times based on "unfit for intended use / merchant misrepresentation. ". Tge most notable to effectively rescind a car purchased for about 50k new.

Happy the op got money back.

REALLY bad advice - the OP signed a contract which the sales Dept. would forward to the CC company - resulting in a fraudulent report to the credit card company.

heathg

Reaction score
going through the same thing right now!

Everyone,

This site is great, we are going through the exact same thing with VILLA group right now, we signed on a Monday and sent cancellation via USPS certified on Sat. Along with a letter to there US office in San Diego. I called AMEX today and had them do an investigation. I am hoping my outcome is as successful. We gave a deposit of 4352.00 (why i did this, I have no idea) yes i am ashamed of myself.

I will post as each communication goes through. I am so excited to read these posts..

Thank you to everyone and there responses.
H

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
heathg..
you might want to start another thread for your deal.
put the resort info in title line. It make the google search better when others are trying to find info on resorts like you did..
not sure what villa you are referring to so put full name and location up there..

good luck we will be following along.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
heathg..
you might want to start another thread for your deal.
put the resort info in title line. It make the google search better when others are trying to find info on resorts like you did..
not sure what villa you are referring to so put full name and location up there..

good luck we will be following along.
No need for a new thread. The OP was talking about the Villa Group--same one that heathg mentioned.