• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Whats the highest TPU you've ever seen?

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just bought a TS that seems to give me between 37-50TPU's if i deposit both sides of my lock off...13-25 if just one side...and because of my limited knowledge about RCI...my assumption was that 25TPU's was about an average number....I was VERY excited to hear that that wasn't true...that average was closer to 10-15TPU..it gives me hope that i could get two average weeks for one side of my lock-off

So...Now i was wondering....if 10-15TPU is around average....Whats the HIGHEST you've ever seen for a single room(one side of a lockoff or an entire TS) for a week?....i've heard of Manhattan club getting around 60 TPU...But could that really be the highest?

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
60 is definitely the highest. NYC timeshares are the main ones at or near that level. Some week 51/52 Orlando units get close to 60.

The last time I looked, only about 1000 deposits on RCI were in the 33-60 range (out of about 175k).

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
60 is definitely the highest. NYC timeshares are the main ones at or near that level. Some week 51/52 Orlando units get close to 60.

The last time I looked, only about 1000 deposits on RCI were in the 33-60 range (out of about 175k).

Both great news...i was a little worried about my week...when it doesn't fall on july 4th its only worth 37 TPU's (The small side that i'd trade worth 18) But it looks like i shouldn't really be worried about 18...Sure i won't get top of the line 3br places for that, or disney...But sounds like i'll atleast be getting the average level stuff, maybe even slightly more then that...and when it does fall on the 4th...i maybe able to get TWO weeks for my 25 TPU!!

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Ride
first,, what is the place giving 40-50 TPu.. edit... the patriots place wk 27 unit.. is that a 2 bed lock or 3 bed lock..

and another question is how can you determine trade value of EOY units without know the unit number.

was looking on redweek and see a unit I like but it EOY usage. I wanted to find out what the TPU's were giving before trying to figure out is i want it..

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since points lite (aka TPU) often differ depending on whether one is talking about the number given for a deposit or the number required for an exchange into the very same week at the very same time, when you mix the discussion of both, you are comparing apples and oranges.

RCI is institutionalizing trades up by regularly giving more points lite to certain resorts or areas that they are worth. What they are really worth can be seen by what RCI is offering them at for exchange. It is also institutionalizing the shortchanging of other weeks by regularly offering them at points lite levels higher than what they give for the deposit, so that those owners can not even trade into their own week! Of course, which side of this situation a timeshare owner comes out on has little to do with exchanging, but on the contrary it has to do with what is advantageous for RCI's rental program and insider relationships with developers.

RCI is also offering trades up for an extra fee to a special category of owner, those who have lockouts. Split and recombine and pay an extra fee and voila, they can trade up. If RCI is going to offer trades up for an extra fee, they at least ought to offer it to all their members.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a 2-bedroom unit in Whistler that gets 60 TPU's for President's Week.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI is also offering trades up for an extra fee to a special category of owner, those who have lockouts. Split and recombine and pay an extra fee and voila, they can trade up. If RCI is going to offer trades up for an extra fee, they at least ought to offer it to all their members.

RCI does offer the combine-for-a-fee option for all owners, not just those who have lockouts. It's also available to those who have multiple deposits, or leftover TPUs from other exchanges, etc.

Of course, I can see why they do this for lockouts: Two deposits vs. one = two exchange fees.

However, from a lockout owner standpoint, aren't two units for one maintenance fee also more valuable in many cases when the owner wants to rent? (Meaning they should also bring more value when exchanging.) For example, owners could rent their 2 bd for $2k or they could rent the 1 bd for $1.5k and the studio for $900.

I think these have always been benefits to a lockoff--splitting to rent or splitting to deposit.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
They give substantially more points lite to dividing and then recombining a lockoff and payment of the fee, an opportunity that is simply not offered to owners of a standard 2BR. A standard 2BR owner cannot split his week, pay a fee, recombine it, and get substantially more points lite by doing that. And in family vacation destinations, like Orlando, this would tend to lead to an oversupply of smaller units and could eventually lead to a shortage of larger units. This would make it even more out of step with supply and demand.

It is not just Orlando, where 2BR's are much more in demand than 1BR's. That is also true at the OBX, and I suspect anywhere families tend to vacation. It may not be the case in less family-oriented destinations as, say, Las Vegas. RCI's numbers, then, for any family-oriented destination encourage people to deposit in a form, smaller units, that is opposite where the higher demand is. They are standing supply and demand on its head to try to get more money for themselves, one combining fees, and two rental or exchange fees.

But the lockouts is the smaller part of the problem. The bigger problem is overpointing certain areas or resorts allowing built-in trades up for those areas or resorts. One of the defenders of Points Lite on these boards who owns in an overbuilt area has commented that he has a week which RCI takes 9 points lite to exchange in, but awards him 32 points for his deposit. Well, it is clear that the market is saying the week is really worth 9 points, and what RCI is doing is letting him trade up substantially. If his week is worth 9 points lite, he ought to get 9 points lite for his deposit, not 32. People like that fiercely defend the new system, as one would expect. They have gotten a windfall and don't want to lose it. People like me who rattle that cage represent a potential threat to their windfall.

RCI does offer the combine-for-a-fee option for all owners, not just those who have lockouts. It's also available to those who have multiple deposits, or leftover TPUs from other exchanges, etc.

Of course, I can see why they do this for lockouts: Two deposits vs. one = two exchange fees.

However, from a lockout owner standpoint, aren't two units for one maintenance fee also more valuable in many cases when the owner wants to rent? (Meaning they should also bring more value when exchanging.) For example, owners could rent their 2 bd for $2k or they could rent the 1 bd for $1.5k and the studio for $900.

I think these have always been benefits to a lockoff--splitting to rent or splitting to deposit.

Last edited:

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

Your post and response is logical and spot on. Of course RCI gets more income from exchange fees on 2 separate lockoffs than they do from one exchange. I would make it attractive for a depositer to split their weeks too if I was RCI in order to get 2 exchange fees. And yes many owners can get more money by splitting their lock-off and renting 2 weeks to 2 different families than they could renting the whole unit to one family.

RCI combining for a fee is available to all, not just those who own lock-offs. Once again you are correct and Carolinian is wrong. Carolinian wants to condemn RCI no matter what the facts are and no matter how well the new program is working for the VAST MAJORITY of TUGGERS.

Carolinian has not deposited or exchanged a single week under the new weeks program yet he wants to condemn the system at every turn. Those of us WHO ARE ACTUALLY EXCHANGING USING RCI and who like the new program MUCH better than the old system are told we are wrong constantly by a guy who has never used the program and never will. Is that open minded, unbiased, analytical? Nope Carolinian hates RCI and looks for any bad thing he can find to post on his personal negative RCI PR campaign.

When I ask for advice on most anything I ask for advice from someone who has PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and some level of expertise, not someone who hates something they have never used. To any reading these threads and looking for RCI advice, look for advice from those who have mastered the new program. Do not be misled by a poster who relentlessly posts negative comments about an exchange program they have never even used once and never will no matter what facts and successes people post about on TUG.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Carolinian, why do you think lockoffs are the only people who can combine their weeks for higher TPU's?

I love the new system. I can take all of my Colorado weeks, combine them, and use the points for MANY exchanges. We own five Colorado weeks that are worth 18-29 TPU's, so I combine them to get around 125 TPU's for $2,500 or so. That's about $20 per TPU, so a Disney resort costs me $500 + exchange fee. Our favorite resort on Kauai, Shearwater, is only about 25-30 TPU's. I just got a 2 bed at Hilton's new Parc Soleil in Orlando for 10 TPU's. TEN! That's incredible.

Then there are my other weeks, which are better values for trading. My trading power on Val Chatelle is way up, and that was quite important to me.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
They give substantially more points lite to dividing and then recombining a lockoff and payment of the fee, an opportunity that is simply not offered to owners of a standard 2BR. A standard 2BR owner cannot split his week, pay a fee, recombine it, and get substantially more points lite by doing that.
Owners of lockoffs have the advantage OUTSIDE OF RCI as well. You can split and rent one side out, sometimes for enough to cover your maintenance fee. Or you can split and rent both sides out, making quite a bit more than renting it as a whole. Or you can split it and deposit each side separately into one of the smaller exchanges (or II if your resort is affiliated) and get two weeks. Or you can split and stay two separate weeks in a smaller unit. Owners of a non-lockoff 2BR unit don't have those options.

This was a large part of my decision to heavily favor lockoffs, and I bought almost all of my timeshares BEFORE 11/15/10, when RCI made trading powers transparent. That transparency only reinforced what I already knew (and made me realize that lockoffs were even better than I thought).

You can rant and rave about how unfair it is that some people can have an advantage from lockoffs, but you're just spitting in the wind. There are reasons that lockoffs are worth more, whether you like it or not.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
A standard 2BR owner CANNOT split and combine.

A 2BR lockout owner CAN split and combine and get a lot more points lite by paying an extra fee.

That is a huge difference.

The fact that either one can combine leftover or completely different weeks, doesn't make them equal at all. Far from it.

But this is much the smaller of the issues. The big one is the overpointing and the built in trades up that guarantees to the fortunate few. If a week is only worth the 9 points lite that RCI offers it for as an exchange, it should NOT be given 32 points lite as a deposit. Period!

Wonder how many points lite RCI gave to the depositor of that Hilton in Orlando? I'll bet it was more than 10! But 10 is what it is really worth.

Carolinian, why do you think lockoffs are the only people who can combine their weeks for higher TPU's?

I love the new system. I can take all of my Colorado weeks, combine them, and use the points for MANY exchanges. We own five Colorado weeks that are worth 18-29 TPU's, so I combine them to get around 125 TPU's for $2,500 or so. That's about $20 per TPU, so a Disney resort costs me $500 + exchange fee. Our favorite resort on Kauai, Shearwater, is only about 25-30 TPU's. I just got a 2 bed at Hilton's new Parc Soleil in Orlando for 10 TPU's. TEN! That's incredible.

Then there are my other weeks, which are better values for trading. My trading power on Val Chatelle is way up, and that was quite important to me.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Wonder how many points lite RCI gave to the depositor of that Hilton in Orlando? I'll bet it was more than 10! But 10 is what it is really worth.
Hilton bulk banks large numbers of weeks for their members, and the members have a portal to exchange into RCI inventory for a certain number of Hilton points. Everything is based on unit size. So a 1 bedroom of 3,400 points trades for a 1 bedroom in RCI. Hilton owners pay a premium for these exchanges. I wouldn't use Hilton points for that, if I owned Hilton.

We own Shell Points that cost about 2 cents each. I get them free on eBay, usually with free use. It costs 2,500 points to exchange into a studio in RCI through the portal Shell provides to owners. 3,500 for a 1 bedroom, 4,500 for a 2 bedroom. So the Hilton Parc Soleil would cost me $900 dollars in that system. :eek:

But the Manhattan Club are 58-60 TPU's, and I can get one of the summer studios for 2,500 Shell Points. So that is a great value.

I believe RCI's TPU system is the most fair, but I will take advantage of exchanges through Shell's portal whenever I can.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
1BR's are a lot harder to rent than 2BR's most places. As someone renting his own unit, I would much rather have a 2BR out there for rent than chancing two 1BR rentals.

Many of these lockoffs are in family vacation areas, where the bigger demand is for larger units. Encouraging deposits as smaller units is simply defying the logic of supply and demand, and standing that on its head when it comes to valuation for exchange. It is just another example of RCI's numbers being based on what RCI thinks will bring it more dollars, not the internal market dynamics of an exchange system.

While the flexibility of doing different things with lock-outs, admittedly has an appeal, the main OBX opportunities for that have been in developer-controlled resorts, something I avoid like the plague, and I do not recall seeing that feature in any European resort I have considered owning at.

It is not so much that it is ''unfair'' for people to have certain advantages by owning a lock-out. What is wrong is an exchange system that seems to thumb its nose at every turn at the realities of supply and demand, and this is just one example. And if people can trade up for an extra fee, that ought to be availible to all.

But again, the lockouts are just a small part of the problem. The overpointing to try to cover RCI's rental to the public activities is the big problem. Those who happen to own in the areas RCI finds it beneficial to either their own rental operations or to developers they are in bed with to overpoint, are along for the ride and piggyback on the overpointing. Those of you who get this windfall certainly do not want to see it end, and I am not surprised that you constantly try to sing the supposed praises of the system that gave you the windfall.

Owners of lockoffs have the advantage OUTSIDE OF RCI as well. You can split and rent one side out, sometimes for enough to cover your maintenance fee. Or you can split and rent both sides out, making quite a bit more than renting it as a whole. Or you can split it and deposit each side separately into one of the smaller exchanges (or II if your resort is affiliated) and get two weeks. Or you can split and stay two separate weeks in a smaller unit. Owners of a non-lockoff 2BR unit don't have those options.

This was a large part of my decision to heavily favor lockoffs, and I bought almost all of my timeshares BEFORE 11/15/10, when RCI made trading powers transparent. That transparency only reinforced what I already knew (and made me realize that lockoffs were even better than I thought).

You can rant and rave about how unfair it is that some people can have an advantage from lockoffs, but you're just spitting in the wind. There are reasons that lockoffs are worth more, whether you like it or not.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
You consider it fair for a system to offer a week like Bill's for exchange for 9 points lite but give him 32 to deposit it????? Or the VV@P week a Tugger found and posted where a year in advance, RCI was giving 50 points lite for a deposit but offering the verysame week at the very same time for exchange at 10 points lite? (Apparently after the spotlight was put on that one, those numbers have since been revised but they still give a lot more points lite for a deposit than they want for an exchange).

Or is it fair for RCI to offer Manhattan Club owners in the 30's for a deposit but at the very same time requiring 58-60 points lite to trade in? Sooner or later MC owners will figure out they are being hosed by RCI and wake up and give their weeks to SFX.

I guess the answer with the Hilton week is that with the different systems, we do not know how many points lite RCI gave for that week.

Hilton bulk banks large numbers of weeks for their members, and the members have a portal to exchange into RCI inventory for a certain number of Hilton points. Everything is based on unit size. So a 1 bedroom of 3,400 points trades for a 1 bedroom in RCI. Hilton owners pay a premium for these exchanges. I wouldn't use Hilton points for that, if I owned Hilton.

We own Shell Points that cost about 2 cents each. I get them free on eBay, usually with free use. It costs 2,500 points to exchange into a studio in RCI through the portal Shell provides to owners. 3,500 for a 1 bedroom, 4,500 for a 2 bedroom. So the Hilton Parc Soleil would cost me $900 dollars in that system. :eek:

But the Manhattan Club are 58-60 TPU's, and I can get one of the summer studios for 2,500 Shell Points. So that is a great value.

I believe RCI's TPU system is the most fair, but I will take advantage of exchanges through Shell's portal whenever I can.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
1BR's are a lot harder to rent than 2BR's most places. As someone renting his own unit, I would much rather have a 2BR out there for rent than chancing two 1BR rentals.
You and I (and most here on TUG) think that way, but the majority of renters don't. They're used to TINY hotel rooms, and to them a studio or a 1BR is a luxury. It takes some experience before you can wrap your mind around the concept of getting a 2BR (or larger) unit.

Before I discovered timeshares, I seldom ever got a suite (other than an occassional upgrade to a Junior Suite). Once, I rented a presidential suite (which had two bedrooms and a large living area) at a really run down hotel in San Antonio for about $150/night, with a large group. They refurbished the hotel and started charging more like $500/night for that room not long after that, so we never got to do that again. Another time, we rented a 1BR suite at Grandview in Las Vegas, and it was incredibly spacious to us at that time. (We've never stayed in anything anywhere near that small since we got into timeshares!)

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
While the flexibility of doing different things with lock-outs, admittedly has an appeal, the main OBX opportunities for that have been in developer-controlled resorts, something I avoid like the plague, and I do not recall seeing that feature in any European resort I have considered owning at.

It seems to me the problem you have with RCI isn't the system itself but the way it treats what most people would consider a poor vacation location...the OBX...Others have found that other low travel locations like South Africa have also gotten lower points with the new Points Lite System....They've gotten rid of their SA TS's because of that...Maybe since the OBX has such a low value....and you are looking for something with a higher Value in Points Lite you should buy something in Myrtle Beach or Virginia Beach...Places people actually go to, that aren't as over built as the OBX

The thing is, RCI is sorta a Private Company...would you walk into a diner and start yelling about how it only costs them $5 a pound for fries but they sell them for $7.50 a plate? We've got a pretty good idea of how the system works on this forum...if its not working for YOU, maybe you've got to make some changes

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess the answer with the Hilton week is that with the different systems, we do not know how many points lite RCI gave for that week.
Hilton and Shell have no Points Lite values for trading back in. It's all based on unit size. The beauty of my Shell points is I can get inventory from weeks or points. I see Shearwater in both. A Wyndham Shearwater on Kauai in prime season gets 109,950 RCI points (at 1.2 cent per point, my cost, that is expensive). I can get Shearwater with my Shell for 4,500 points. That is a great way for me to use Shell.

You can get a 1 bedroom at Manhattan Club for the same number of Shell or Hilton points you can get a 1 bedroom in Orlando in the slow season, because it's all "red". Who would use Hilton for Orlando? People who want DVC, which all cost 25 TPU's, except the holidays, where the same weeks cost slightly more points (32-37).

I would rather stay in the Hiltons, but if it's more costly to use what you own, which I suspect it is, then trade into the DVC weeks and save money.

Disney owners don't get a certain number of Points Lite either.

Yes, I think the system is more fair than ever. It may not be perfect, but I am speaking to what I own versus what I get. I am well pleased.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
You want to get personal with what I own, never mind that of those I own, I have posted that my OBX week does okay in points lite, and it is my UK summer weeks that really get hosed. The examples I tend to use of the rare hard to find places that get screwed in Points Lite are ones I do not own like London, St. John in winter, Bermuda in summer, Charleston in warm season, Savannah / Tybee Island in summer, the French Riviera in August, Venice, etc. Some people here have a real tunnel vision for what they personally own and some seem to want to attribute that to others. I don't own either ultra-rare timeshares (although my southern England summer weeks are close) not do I own in the classic overbuilt areas of the US or Europe. When I analyze the system what stands out are the two ends, which is what I have looked at - the rare weeks on one end and the overbuilt areas on the others. Comparing those two, the system is rigged and stands supply and demand on its head.

As to the changes in what I personally own, the one thing that hit me more than any other was the fact that my summer UK weeks, which outtraded my summer OBX week in the ancien regime at RCI, now have only 2/3rds the points lite. RCI claimed they were not changing value, but as others have seen with their own weeks, RCI was speaking with a forked tougue.

Now to set a few of your fallacies straight:

You seem to simply not have much information on the popularity of travel destinations in your post. Someone else posted visitor numbers on the OBX compared to other areas in one of the thread in the last few weeks. I suggest you go back and look at it, and then comprehend that the number of timeshare units per visitor on the OBX is a lot less than some of the other areas. The whole thing is about SUPPLY vs. DEMAND, and you have to take both into account, as owners of overbuilt areas such as yourself rarely want to do. As far as Virginia Beach goes, many Virginians much prefer the ambiance of the OBX and that is why they go there instead of the urbanized Virginia Beach. At most timeshare resorts on the OBX, the majority of owners are Virginians.

As to South Africa, you post also shows that you simply have not looked at the visitor numbers. I suggest you do so before shooting from the hip with such a post. But the RCI availibility numbers in its exchange pool also tells the tale. There are usually about the same number of availible weeks in one overbuilt resort in overbuilt Orlando as there are in all 183 resorts in all of South Africa. Low availibility means a positive supply / demand curve while high availibility means a flat supply / demand curve.

It seems to me the problem you have with RCI isn't the system itself but the way it treats what most people would consider a poor vacation location...the OBX...Others have found that other low travel locations like South Africa have also gotten lower points with the new Points Lite System....They've gotten rid of their SA TS's because of that...Maybe since the OBX has such a low value....and you are looking for something with a higher Value in Points Lite you should buy something in Myrtle Beach or Virginia Beach...Places people actually go to, that aren't as over built as the OBX

The thing is, RCI is sorta a Private Company...would you walk into a diner and start yelling about how it only costs them $5 a pound for fries but they sell them for $7.50 a plate? We've got a pretty good idea of how the system works on this forum...if its not working for YOU, maybe you've got to make some changes

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
But the RCI availibility numbers in its exchange pool also tells the tale. There are usually about the same number of availible weeks in one overbuilt resort in overbuilt Orlando as there are in all 183 resorts in all of South Africa. Low availibility means a positive supply / demand curve while high availibility means a flat supply / demand curve.

Yes, but people are actually renting those weeks in Orlando....thats the difference...Low Availablity only means a positive supply/demand curve...IF there is a DEMAND...places like the OBX, while some may like to go occationally, i don't know why...aren't anything like places like Orlando which is a HAVE to go for every family atleast once...and A LOT go every single year...There is a reason Orlando was able to be so overbuilt with BOTH hotels and TS's and you don't see these places closing down daily...People go there ALOT

Meh, in the end does it really matter what RCI decides to base its points values on? its their game, we're just playing it....

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
If one uses the tunnel vision of what they own and what they trade for, there are winners and there are losers. You still don't anwer about whether you think RCI giving a lot more points lite for a week in an overbuilt area than they give it out on exchange for is ''fair''. Yes, the person who gets that windfall loves it to death as we have seen from posts on these boards, and the person who trades in gets the illusion they are getting a bargain. But is it fair and honest? Similarly, the person who owns a rare, hard to get week for is given a lot less points lite for a deposit than RCI charges for an exchange - have they been treated fairly?

Hilton and Shell have no Points Lite values for trading back in. It's all based on unit size. The beauty of my Shell points is I can get inventory from weeks or points. I see Shearwater in both. A Wyndham Shearwater on Kauai in prime season gets 109,950 RCI points (at 1.2 cent per point, my cost, that is expensive). I can get Shearwater with my Shell for 4,500 points. That is a great way for me to use Shell.

You can get a 1 bedroom at Manhattan Club for the same number of Shell or Hilton points you can get a 1 bedroom in Orlando in the slow season, because it's all "red". Who would use Hilton for Orlando? People who want DVC, which all cost 25 TPU's, except the holidays, where the same weeks cost slightly more points (32-37).

I would rather stay in the Hiltons, but if it's more costly to use what you own, which I suspect it is, then trade into the DVC weeks and save money.

Disney owners don't get a certain number of Points Lite either.

Yes, I think the system is more fair than ever. It may not be perfect, but I am speaking to what I own versus what I get. I am well pleased.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
If one uses the tunnel vision of what they own and what they trade for, there are winners and there are losers. You still don't anwer about whether you think RCI giving a lot more points lite for a week in an overbuilt area than they give it out on exchange for is ''fair''. Yes, the person who gets that windfall loves it to death as we have seen from posts on these boards, and the person who trades in gets the illusion they are getting a bargain. But is it fair and honest? Similarly, the person who owns a rare, hard to get week for is given a lot less points lite for a deposit than RCI charges for an exchange - have they been treated fairly?

Define over built...Are you talking about places like Orlando that have ALOT of TS and Hotels, yet during holiday and summer weeks are STILL fully booked..or places like the OBX that have 10-15 TS that stay at half or less capacity during all seasons?

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
And those with the rare weeks should realize that they are getting hosed and should not play RCI's rigged game. They should use alternatives, using their weeks at their resorts, renting their weeks, or using other exchange companies. Let the people who own in overbuilt areas all exchange among each other with their inflated points lite numbers, and let those with the hard to get weeks move on with their weeks where they will be treated fairly.

If you don't know why people want to go to the OBX, I suggest you look at a map. There is a thing called a beach which inland Orlando just doesn't have. I lived in Florida for a year and like going there, but except for obligatory trips for young family members to see the mouse on very rare occaisions, I would bypass Orlando entirely. If I am going to Florida for a vacation, it will be within walking distance of a beach. Now if you want to compare people who vacation at the beach with those who do so by visiting a mouse, then the mouse is going to come on very much on the short end of the stick.

Overbuilt, BTW, means they have more supply than demand. Yes, a lot of people go there, but there is more supply in timeshares relative to the timeshare demand. It is the relation between those two that matter, not the absolute numbers of either one.

Yes, but people are actually renting those weeks in Orlando....thats the difference...Low Availablity only means a positive supply/demand curve...IF there is a DEMAND...places like the OBX, while some may like to go occationally, i don't know why...aren't anything like places like Orlando which is a HAVE to go for every family atleast once...and A LOT go every single year...There is a reason Orlando was able to be so overbuilt with BOTH hotels and TS's and you don't see these places closing down daily...People go there ALOT

Meh, in the end does it really matter what RCI decides to base its points values on? its their game, we're just playing it....

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lets talk southern England, where deposits never show up online with any exchange company as they are immediately taken by ongoing searches (if it is RCI it might be a search for the rental pool rather than for a member, of course). This is high demand relative to supply. On the other end of the spectrum are the overbuilt areas like Orlando or the Canary Islands where there is ALWAYS a glut of inventory availible online. Heck, my resort in the UK rarely shows any online availibility any time of year, which is a stark contrast to the overbuilt areas which always have loads of weeks avalible. It is simply supply and demand that seperate the men from the boys.

You clearly know absolutely nothing about occupancy at either place you refere to. And you also don't seem to comprehend that number of timeshares has only a passing relationship to number of timeshare units, which is the key metric. Two resorts on the OBX have less than 10 timeshare units each. Several others are under 30 units. Only four have any size and those would only be medium sized at best by Orlando or even MB standards. Then most summer owners use their weeks rather than exchanging or renting. In fact, year round at the resorts I am personally familiar with, a majority of owners use their weeks. The resort on which I served on the board was generally full from spring break until Thanksgiving, plus Christmas and New Years and had fair occupancy in February and early March. The off weeks were 48-50 and 1-6. We had five resorts that helped each other out finding spare units for each others board members for meetings, and I can remember early November meetings that between five resorts we still had to rent hotel rooms for a majority of our board members as there were not enough timeshare units availible. You also might want to drive down the beach road from Kitty Hawk to Nags Head on an October weekend and see how many motels you can find without a ''no vacancy'' sign. It won't be many.

Define over built...Are you talking about places like Orlando that have ALOT of TS and Hotels, yet during holiday and summer weeks are STILL fully booked..or places like the OBX that have 10-15 TS that stay at half or less capacity during all seasons?

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can i just repeat that the OBX is no good i think my friend once went there and caught cooties and ask what any of the rambling posts about how evil RCI is has to do with the Original Topic?? All these long posts are making my eyes tired

Last edited: