• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean Pointe

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I was able to book a two bedroom and one bedroom at this resort for next summer, just yesterday. I am having second thoughts, though. We are used to a Myrtle Beach/Hilton Head vacation in terms of beach, family atmospher and entertainment. We have been to Disney's Vero beach a few times and really like that resort, even though there really isn't much entertainemnt (i.e. outlets, family dining, tourist shopping) outside the resort.

How does Ocean Pointe compare to those locations? Also, the resort looks very nice but is there much to do within a short walking or driving distance from the resort.

Also, I heard it costs $20 a day to park there? That can't be true? We are Marriott owners and used our Marriott week for these trades.

Thanks for you help. I am thinking I need to cancel this and hold out for Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head but I wanted to see what everyone had to say about the resort.

One last thing. I currently have a two bedroom and a one bedroom for the same dates. If I changed the one bedroom to a studio, would the resort combine the two bedroom and studio to make a three bedroom for us? If so, would it be worth it in terms of more living space or would it be better to keep a full two bedroom and one bedroom. We would like to all be together but...

Thanks, everyone.

-Jim

Lardan

Reaction score
We love Ocean Pointe, and we have not been to other resorts you mentioned. We are going back to Ocean Pointe for a week in about two weeks.

Never had to pay for parking there. No, there is not a whole lot to do close to the resort other than the beach. But, it sure is a nice resort and grounds. We have one teenager and two preteens with all of them also enjoying the resort.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Hi Everyone. I was able to book a two bedroom and one bedroom at this resort for next summer, just yesterday. I am having second thoughts, though. We are used to a Myrtle Beach/Hilton Head vacation in terms of beach, family atmospher and entertainment. We have been to Disney's Vero beach a few times and really like that resort, even though there really isn't much entertainemnt (i.e. outlets, family dining, tourist shopping) outside the resort.

How does Ocean Pointe compare to those locations? Also, the resort looks very nice but is there much to do within a short walking or driving distance from the resort.

Also, I heard it costs $20 a day to park there? That can't be true? We are Marriott owners and used our Marriott week for these trades.

Thanks for you help. I am thinking I need to cancel this and hold out for Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head but I wanted to see what everyone had to say about the resort.

One last thing. I currently have a two bedroom and a one bedroom for the same dates. If I changed the one bedroom to a studio, would the resort combine the two bedroom and studio to make a three bedroom for us? If so, would it be worth it in terms of more living space or would it be better to keep a full two bedroom and one bedroom. We would like to all be together but...

Thanks, everyone.

-Jim

No fee's to park at Ocean Pointe. You're probably thinking about Beachplace Towers in Fort Lauderdale.

Ocean Pointe is a little more secluded. There are great pools at the resort and a great beach with crystal clear water. They rent skim boards, wave boards and surf boards. You can take a snorkle tour, go parasailing or take a drift fishing charter. There is a water taxi that will take you over to Clematis street, which has a good varity or restaurants. We like to go over to City Place where there's shopping, several restaurants and a huge movie theater.

There are other things to do in the area but, we normally go there to relax. There's not a great deal within walking distance. There is Sailfish Marina, which has a nice restaurant and the water taxi. There is also a new shoppping center that was just starting to get restaurants back in as well as stores. We really enjoyed the Wings store, which is like a Walmart for beach supplies.

Some will suggest that this is not a nice neighborhood. We've been going to Ocean Pointe since 2001 and have never fealt threatened. Most of the homes or condo's on the island go for over $1,000,000. Now the neighborhood on the mainland or across Blue Heron Bridge is a little dicey but, that's not the same neighborhood and I've never seen a problem on the island. BTW, watch your speed. Rivera Beach and Palm Beech Shores PD certainly will.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Larden. I only have until 2PM today to cancel or keep the II reservation so I appreciate the quick response. You sure do make me feel better about the exchange, too. Vero Beach is very laid back, not much to do outside the resort but there is at least a mall and some family friendly places to eat not far away.

The resort looks beautiful and big. I like the idea of not having to leave the resort very much.

Does anyone know if the three bedrooms are dedicated or are they lock-off units?

Are there grocery stores and walmarts near the resort? Just trying to get an idea of how remote the resort is.

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
Thanks, Larden. I only have until 2PM today to cancel or keep the II reservation so I appreciate the quick response. You sure do make me feel better about the exchange, too. Vero Beach is very laid back, not much to do outside the resort but there is at least a mall and some family friendly places to eat not far away.

The resort looks beautiful and big. I like the idea of not having to leave the resort very much.

Does anyone know if the three bedrooms are dedicated or are they lock-off units?

Are there grocery stores and walmarts near the resort? Just trying to get an idea of how remote the resort is.

The three bedrooms are lock-offs. All the three bedrooms are Ocean Front. Most of the two bedrooms & lock-offs you get through trade are NOT Ocean front. I would think it would be very unlikely that they would combine a two bedroom and a lock-off and give you a three bedroom.

Ray

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at Ocean Pointe several times over the years and have had a lot of fun taking trips to Palm Beach. That is where the SUPER rich have homes and the shopping there is like being on Rodeo Dr. I think it's called Worth Ave. We took a couple of cruises, too, in the bay between West Palm Beach and Palm Beach to look for manatees and to see the FABULOUS homes on that end of Palm Beach (I think I saw Rush Limbaugh by his pool!) You will love it at Ocean Pointe!!!

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

There is a Grater Gator grocery store a short distance from Ocean Pointe. I've walked it in the past when I needed more than I wanted to get at the Marketplace on site. There is the Oceans Mall, which has been slow to rebuild after the hurricanes but, it's getting there. Ocean's Mall has Johnny Longboats for a restaurant. I'm not certain if any others have gone in yet. There is also a Max and Eddie's restaurant that use to be pretty good but, reviews have been rather poor these past few years. We enjoy eating at the restaurant at Sailfish Marina but feel they're better for breakfast and lunch rather than dinner.

There is a large Publix grocery store a couple of miles away that you can get to without going over the Blue Heron bridge. It's in a nice neighborhood and there's a strip mall with several shops. There's also a Duffy's Sports Bar that often has some decent specials. We'll eat there a few times per trip because the food/service has been good and the prices are reasonable.

As I mentioned earlier, there's a store called Wings at the Ocean Mall. Very reasonable prices on their merchandise. We have been to Walmarts and K-marts but, I honestly can't recall excatly where they are. I've never gone far from the resort to get to them.

While the resort has the feel of being remote on Singer Island, it really isn't remote. I believe the Palm Beach Gardens Mall is only a couple of miles away. There's also a large outdoor shopping mall desinged like a small town a couple of miles away. You may feel a little remote but civilization is just a short drive away.

glnrcker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney's Vero Beach and Ocean Pointe are similar except DVB has that great slide and the pirate ship water sprinkler area for the little ones. The rooms are in much better shape at Ocean Pointe. Family atmosphere is the same at both, lots of children's activities. Some free, some fee. Even the nightlife is similar and not within walking distance of either (except for Sailfish Marina, which has the Thursday night festival). If you like DVB, you will like Ocean Pointe as we did. We have little ones age 5 & 6. Have a great time!

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is just the best info, everyone. Thanks!!!

We decided to keep the units we have booked for next 4th of July. This place sounds just like Disney's Vero Beach (which is probably my favorite beach resort) only Ocean Pointe may even be better. I love the slide at Vero Beach and the kids pirate ship is a lot of fun for the little ones. But, sounds like Ocean Pointe put in a splash park, which sounds like something the kids will love. The beach seems nicer at Ocean Pointe than Vero, too.

Can't wait to go.

Lardan

Reaction score

We decided to keep the units we have booked for next 4th of July. This place sounds just like Disney's Vero Beach (which is probably my favorite beach resort) only Ocean Pointe may even be better. I love the slide at Vero Beach and the kids pirate ship is a lot of fun for the little ones. But, sounds like Ocean Pointe put in a splash park, which sounds like something the kids will love. The beach seems nicer at Ocean Pointe than Vero, too.

Can't wait to go.

I really think you're doing the right thing, it really is a very nice resort and area. They boast of having the highest owner return of any other Marriott resort.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

Can't wait to go.

As an owner who goes every year, I've not heard of a splash park being added. A very nice miniture golf course and a putting green was added this past year.

Davidr

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also own at OP and go every summer. My kids enjoy the activities. There is not a lot things to do off property within walking distance. One of things we like about OP is that is that you are not in the middle of nowhere. A 10 minutes or less drive gets you 2 big Publix supermarkets, a Walmart, a Target, Gander Mt, a Cheesecake Factory, tons of high end restaurants and countless Walgreens and CVS.

The mainland part Rivera Beach is "the hood". I'd avoid stopping at night on Blue Heron Blvd west of the bridge or US 1 north within 4 blocks of Blue Heron or US 1 south. The Singer Island part of RB is fine.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The three bedrooms are lock-offs. All the three bedrooms are Ocean Front. Most of the two bedrooms & lock-offs you get through trade are NOT Ocean front. I would think it would be very unlikely that they would combine a two bedroom and a lock-off and give you a three bedroom.

Ray

I would agree, it would be difficult for the resort to match up a 2BR and studio unit to make a 3BR. Because the occupancy size is different for n ocean front 2BR vs an ocean side 2BR, they usually keep people in the view they exchanged in to.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would say there is more to do at Ocean Pointe within a 10 minute drive than there is to do at HHI resorts. JMO.

gottspd

Reaction score
It is encouraging to read this thread as I'm in the same boat as the op. We booked a week this coming September as a replacement for the week we had to cancel at Myrtle beach and I'd been concerned about whether ocean pointe was going to be a good place to take my family. I'm feeling better about it now.

NJN2Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Ocean Pointe now..

We are in 8312, 8311 3BR lock off. This is a handicap accessible unit, in the Sailfish building (we requested a high floor sailfish but not the accessible). The view is nice but I would like to be up at least another floor. We are 3BR Grande Vista owners who used Florida Club to book. New since our last visit is a splash pad for the kids, and a putting green. Our boys, 6 & 7, love it here. We visited the Loggerhead Marine Life Center, went out on a catamaran snorkel boat (awesome!) and down to the Sailfish Marina for the Thursday night art festival. The boys did a "kids night out" on Wednesday night while the adults went to Capt. Charlies Juno Beach Reef Grill. They had a great time and we had the most fantastic meal of our trips here, we will definitely return there. It is not much to look at from the outside, but the food and service was outstanding. We are headed to Manor Club next week, but I could stay here all summer!

One other note, almost forgot! Apparently, the City of Palm Beach has made some type of change in the docks near Clematis (sp?) Street and will no longer allow commercial boats to dock there, even temporarily. This means that the water taxi no longer runs from the Sailfish to Clematis Street. It didn't ruin our trip, but we were looking forward to the variety of foods available there. Apparently it is only about a 15 minute drive, but we had walked to the Marina and didn't feel like walking back to get the car and drive there. So, we spent the evening browsing the art festival, people watching and feeding the vast numbers of fish right off the dock!

thickey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Jim.
Were you able to make the trade via an online search, or did you put in a request and it got fulfilled?
Thanks.
Tim

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Tim. On-going search, but there is a story behind it.

I also own WM points and had a broad request for any 3 bedroom for next summer at Ocean Pointe or Marco Island or Surf Watch. I had a few other Myrtle Beach resorts that are not Marriott thrown into the mix, too.

A rep called me on Wednesday with a 2 bedroom at Ocean Pointe using my WM points and in searching on-line inventory, I also knew there were several studios available for 4th of July 2012. I asked the rep if I could use my 2012Marriott Branson week instead of WM points and he let me do that, but I had to give him my one bedroom for the two bedroom. Then he asked if I wanted to use my 2012 Branson studio deposit to also get a studio at Ocean Point for 4th of July week. I asked him to check if there were any one bedrooms available instead and he looked and there was one available so that's how I got the one bedroom.

The whole time I was debating this trade, there was also a two bedroom 4th of July week at Ocean Pointe sitting in on-line inventory but it was a Thursday check-in. I could have pulled that unit with my Branson studio but I didn't like the checkin day being a Thursday. We will be driving down there from Ohio so we need a day on either end of the reservation to get there an back and a Thursday check-in would eat-up too much vacation time.

Seems like there were a lot of 4th of July week Ocean Point deposits this week into Interval. I could tell they were owner deposits because all the deposits were one bedrooms and studios and the check-in dates matched. Of coarse the one bedrooms went really fast and the studios are still there. There was also a full 2 bedroom sitting in II for most of the day on Wednesday. My guess is that only Marriott folks could see it though.

I posted a while back (actually I was singing a sad song) about how Marriott is not depositing summer weeks at any of the beach resorts. Someone responded to my post to let me know thatMarriott did a bulk deposit of summer 2011 Ocean Pointe weeks around September of 2010. She said there were many 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom deposits. If I were you and wanted to get something at Ocean Pointe for next summer, I would be checking II and the sighting board pretty frequently after this month. Other's may have a better idea as to when Marriott releases summer beach weeks as bulk deposits, though. Hope this helps.

-Jim

Hi Jim.
Were you able to make the trade via an online search, or did you put in a request and it got fulfilled?
Thanks.
Tim

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Since Ocean Pointe is sold out, I'm not sure how Marriott would be doing bulk deposits at this resort. Owners reserve the week they want and deposit that week or, they allow Marriott to choose the week for them. Marriott would not have enough Marriott owned inventory to do bulk deposits.

With the new DC, I suppose owners who trade their resort weeks in for DC points would be providing inventory to Marriott that Marriott would have control over. Since the DC is only a year old I really don't see buld deposits happening.

We are only in the second week of July. It would make sense that owners where just now reserving a holiday week and depositing those weeks for exchange. Most owners have it in their minds that holiday weeks have the highest exchange power. Sometimes that's true, sometimes it isn't. Still, owners jump on those holiday weeks banking that they'll get them the most exchange power possible.