• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI points vs TPU what to buy next for trading

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a few threads on two of the TS forums that i visit asking specifically about where to find Low MF, High TPU value resorts....the locals are very hush hush about that information...It became such an issue on another forum, i ended up with a temporary ban

If you knew how to buy gold bars for below melt value...would you publicize it online....or would you take advantage that only you knew that and profit as long as you could?

BTW, my resort/week gets 53 TPU's

But I do know how to buy gold below melt value ... send $1500 and I'll prove it to you.

I would never keep how to do it secret while claiming I could do it online ... but that's just me.

----------

My "original point" is that there is such a disparity and wide ranging operational difference in RCI's calculations between points and TPU's that it is just silly to set up a single or even several test exchanges and call that proof that one or the other is "better".

Sounds like Ford and Chevy guys arguing at the drive in. :)

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I have a few threads on two of the TS forums that i visit asking specifically about where to find Low MF, High TPU value resorts....the locals are very hush hush about that information...It became such an issue on another forum, i ended up with a temporary ban

If you knew how to buy gold bars for below melt value...would you publicize it online....or would you take advantage that only you knew that and profit as long as you could?

BTW, my resort/week gets 53 TPU's

What? :eek:
It's finally sinking in? :p

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
But I do know how to buy gold below melt value ... send $1500 and I'll prove it to you.

I would never keep how to do it secret while claiming I could do it online ... but that's just me.

. :)

Here's one that everyone already knows about. Several week 52 lockouts in Orlando get over 95 TPU's for $ 700 - 800 in MF's. Here's another, several 1 bdrm summer weeks in Ocean City MD get 45 -50 TPU's for around $350. That's as much as you'll get out of me.

Come on. We all really know the answer here. Prime Holiday Lockoffs in Orlando and summer weeks near or on the ocean with low MF's will get superb TPU costs. It's not really rocket science.

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I hate all this TPU's verses RCI points issues.
The truth is at least as I've observed it, is that some things are better in TPU's and some things are better in RCI points, just like some things are better going thru the mini portals.

If we weren't such TS addicts, we would have no clue that one was better than the other and we'd just take what we got, but since that is not the case, we obsess over a difference of $100. Yes I'm also guilty of this and checking which way is best for me to get what I want.

That's why I recommend to newbies not to commit to any system full force but to consider buying biennials and getting your feet wet, cause as we all know, if someone hangs out on TUG for any length of time they're gonna get bit by the TS bug. :eek:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate all this TPU's verses RCI points issues.
The truth is at least as I've observed it, is that some things are better in TPU's and some things are better in RCI points, just like some things are better going thru the mini portals.

If we weren't such TS addicts, we would have no clue that one was better than the other and we'd just take what we got, but since that is not the case, we obsess over a difference of $100. Yes I'm also guilty of this and checking which way is best for me to get what I want.

That's why I recommend to newbies not to commit to any system full force but to consider buying biennials and getting your feet wet, cause as we all know, if someone hangs out on TUG for any length of time they're gonna get bit by the TS bug. :eek:

Yea, neener neener - what she said.

:hysterical:

fishingguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
if costs are too high, you may not come to same conclusion

If I had costs of 1 cent or higher per RCI Point, I probably wouldn't think RCI Points was as much a bargain. But run the numbers using 1/2 of that cost on the previous examples, and things present a totally different picture. :D

Yes, you can still get properties that deliver 100K+ RCI Points for less than .5 cents per point (just like the big-rare TPU weeks properties) -- they are out there and for just closing cost too. Unfortunately, you won't find many speak about them, because as pointed out by someone else; 'mum is the word. [For example, the last 2 I picked up delivered 130K points at .45 cents per point. I got them for closing cost and filing fees; and I'm patiently waiting for more to come along. You won't get any more out of me....]

---------

In the end you can base your like/dislike for RCI Points or Weeks on cost; availability; inventory; being able to raid inventory on one side vs the other; fees; ability to buy and find them; your own travel plans; etc. But not everyone may come to the same choice based on their own specific preference, or make the same recommendations based on their situation.

That's why TUG is such a great resource; many will explain the details and factors that influence their opinions and decisions.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
My costs per TPU are half what I said, too. I was using an average cost of a TPU, compared to what the normal TUG conversation is on the value of an RCI Point (around 1 cent). If the average is around a penny, for me it makes very little sense. It used to make more sense. I would still be happy, if my Aussie points weren't getting a major beating because of the value of a dollar. It used to be .0067, and now it's .011.

I thought the value was good, but we doubled our vacations on the week side, as soon as this new system went into place. I got rid of four Meadow Lake contracts in one day, on MRN, because for us, the value was no longer there in RCI Points. But we still honestly need to keep those 140K or so points we have left at Meadow Lake and the Australia resort. I need the flexibility that points offer.

e.bram

Reaction score
Cullen. I agree that figuring out which TSes have high TPUs is not a job for Einstein or Feynman just as knowing $1000.00/oz gold is a good deal. But where do you find them?

fishingguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
general thoughts

Here' some general thoughts on how-where you might look, beyond the typical eBay or even TUG listings. Of course you should already have a plan or idea of what you want ahead of time; so you can recognize a garage sale bargain when you see it. (That includes already having a target resort, feel for current MF, stability of MF, condition of units/grounds, resort rating, atmosphere, etc.):

1. Next time you are at a resort, ask the people behind the desk, office staff or others about owners who may want to get rid of their TS. A lot of older or established resorts don't have a system for reselling or disposing property, but may pass along a name or number of an owner they know of, who can't use the TS any longer. [Of course this won't work if the resort currently sells conversions or bulk transfers property to another seller, or is associated with any TS brokers in the local area. But a foreclosed property might just come up if your timing is right, especially at a quiet mom-pop resort. You can leave a card with the office, just in case something comes up that you may be interested in.] If you are already an owner at the resort, don't forget to casually mention it!

2. Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with other owners while sitting in the pool, in the exercise rooms, relaxing in the lounge, etc. at the resort. Casually mentioning that you are looking for more TS at the resort can sometimes open doors.

By the way, if you are at the resort during week 52, then chances are you will meet some owners with property for that week. In addition, senior owners often network with other aged owners, who are in the same situation.... :ponder:

3. If you own at a small resort where you wouldn't mind getting more TS, then it might be worthwhile getting to know some of the HOA/POA board members....

I'm convinced that the vast majority of owners looking to get out from under their TS, don't have a clue about how to do it. So oftentimes they don't do anything but muddle along in their bliss -- but are happy to jump at the first chance that falls into their lap. Hey, the PCCs have already made this very obvious!!! [If you've been around TUG for very long, you likely know how to get a deed transferred, resort ownership changed, etc.; so are light years ahead of the pack.] If you make it painless and easy for them as possible, they will often give it away to get out from under the MF. :D

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get lost in these discussions of tpu vs points and which is better and which gives you the biggest bang for your buck when compared, one to the other.

it seems to me that you should buy the specific week at the specific resort that you intend to use the most...RCI and trading there is only there for the once in a while special case.

I know folks buy to trade, but it seems to me that with few exceptions if you have a great trader you are inevitably trading down; in season or quality or size. If thats not the case it's only because RCI has made a mistake in valuation, and you are taking advantage of it....and if your trading strategy depends on looking for mistakes, wont you be making your vacation decisions based on something other than where you want to vacation, and what kind of vacation will that be.

Now if you tell me that you are depositing early and reserving your week(s) to use late, like me using my 74000, penny a point, Vacation Village at Parkway points to reserve 8-10 weeks at 6000-9000 points wouldnt it be just as good to book "Last Call" at $300 a week or less

Although RCI works as an exchange market place for those few times you might not want to use the week(s) you own. (membership and exchange fees make that an expensive option); I think the best use of RCI is for the Last Call reservations...

Although I maintain an RCI membership, I dont need to be bothered by trading power at all

Nolathyme

TUG Member
Reaction score
So.....

Under RCI points last minute reservations, I have read

Florida resorts are 7.5K
Branson is 6K

Has anyone else seen any trends on areas and point values for last minute reservations?

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although RCI works as an exchange market place for those few times you might not want to use the week(s) you own. (membership and exchange fees make that an expensive option); I think the best use of RCI is for the Last Call reservations...

Although I maintain an RCI membership, I dont need to be bothered by trading power at all

I think it takes a special person who will vacation exclusively at the last minute. Also, if you have a special location or resort you want to go to, how frequently will that ever happen. But there are many who do just that and love it.

It may be an equally special person that constantly enjoys planning vacations a year or more in advance. I'm that goofball. I love the anticipation and the challenge of using all our available points, both RCI & Wyndham.

If you get your TPU's cheap enough, it cost's no more to exchange than to get last minute calls. In addition, if you have enough cheap TPU's, you can go to the special places of your choosing, at high end resorts, in prime time and still not pay more than $500 for a week, even for a 30TPU trade. While I do own in the most visited locations for my vacations, I own purely to trade. The cost to benefit ratio of exchanging is better than any other option for our travel patterns.

I do, however, find the variety of TS applications from us all pretty incredible. As inflexible as much of the public views TS, we're all living proof that they are amazingly flexible, if you put a little bit of time into it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
While I do own in the most visited locations for my vacations, I own purely to trade. The cost to benefit ratio of exchanging is better than any other option for our travel patterns.

Exactly what we do. We own some Hawaii, which we use ourselves and will not deposit, not ever again. :rolleyes: And we own other resorts which are a great trade value.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
-snip-
I do, however, find the variety of TS applications from us all pretty incredible. As inflexible as much of the public views TS, we're all living proof that they are amazingly flexible, if you put a little bit of time into it.

I think experienced timeshare vacation "chefs" love the challenge of "cooking" a wonderful vacation.

Some demand only the finest ingredients and only cook "luxe" vacations, some love the meat and potatoes vacation like Paula Dean.

Some even like the challenge of making an inexpensive brisket or ribcage into a nice "meal" to save money for their family.

I think sometimes new cooks have to make a few fallen souffle' before they reach their stride and some luck out - here the more experienced cooks can often help the newer ones to avoid obvious miscues like over-salting.

But ... some will still like cumin more than oregano and onions more than peppers.

BTW I like BBQ Ribs with mashed potatoes and coleslaw. :hysterical: :rofl: :hysterical: