Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > General Discussion > TUG Lounge

TUG Lounge The place for all discussions that don't fit into the other defined forum areas. Posts discussing politics, religion, and controversial social issues that are not directly related to timesharing are not permitted.

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old July 27, 2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Cathyb

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Marriott DSV I & Newport Coast; Westin Mission Hills; The Whaler/Maui July 4; Pono Kai/Kauai /Wk 52; Worldmark; Carlsbad
Question How to get Hard Water stains off shower glass door?

We have a see-thru glass shower and have faithfully used that Tilex after showers. However we now notice 'hard water stains' that have no feel when you rub your hand over the area.

Yesterday we put Lime-Away on some of the area -- no evidence of improvement . Any ideas on what we can buy to remove this 'yuck' and not harm the glass surface?

TIA
Old July 27, 2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Passepartout

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 10, 07
I just used CLR to remove calcium hard water build-up from where it dries on our brick and aggregate walks outside. It bubbles and seems to take the stuff off pretty well. I've seen it at home centers. Wear rubber gloves and you may want to use an old 3-M scrubber pad.

To keep your glass shower clean, squeegee it after you shower. It just takes a few seconds. After 10 years, ours still looks like new.

Jim Ricks
Old July 27, 2011, 09:43 AM   #3
pittle

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05

Resorts: Grand Luxxe, Buganvilias Sky Suites, Mondavi, Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, Punta Pacifico
Spot-X

There is a fine powder called Spot-X that works wonders. I first bought it on the internet when we moved into a house that the shower doors looked awful. It came with a very fine non-scratch scrubbing pad, but cost much more than the same product that I found at Lowes without the scrubbing pad. The bottle is yellow with a red cap and bright blue label.

Once you get it clean, buy a good squeegee and teach everyone that uses the shower to squeegee off all the water after a shower. You will be amazed how much better your doors will look and how long they stay spot-free.
Old July 27, 2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Phydeaux

BBS Reg. Date: May 20, 10
CLR, then sqweegy after every use.
Phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Rose Pink
TUG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathyb View Post
We have a see-thru glass shower and have faithfully used that Tilex after showers. However we now notice 'hard water stains' that have no feel when you rub your hand over the area.

Yesterday we put Lime-Away on some of the area -- no evidence of improvement . Any ideas on what we can buy to remove this 'yuck' and not harm the glass surface?

TIA
Had the same problem with windows that were spotted by the sprinklers. Nothing, nothing worked. I tried all the products and nothing worked. Sometimes I think it is the glass that has altered and is not something on the glass. I've also had drinking glasses that cloud up over time. Nothing gets the stuff "off" them. I googled it and read about a condition called "sick glass." It is actually a change in the glass itself and therefore will not come off.

I hope this is not your problem and that you can find something that will work.
Old July 27, 2011, 11:01 AM   #6
pjrose

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 28, 05

Resorts: Royal Caribbean, Royal Islander
There was a long thread about this a few years ago:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread....ighlight=glass

I had that problem on my windows; supposedly during a heavy rain if the rain came through the screen, it took metal (?) from the screen and that, over the years, etched the glass. However I got it off with this incredible stuff that I believe was called Zap .....it came in a plastic canister with pre-satured wipes....but I think it was discontinued.

If your doors are one-way mirrored, don't put anything on the coated side. (I don't know if that's the inside or outside )
pjrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2011, 07:19 AM   #7
Dori
TUG Member

Resorts: Lowveld Lodge
I think my shower doors have sick glass. I have tried everything and they never look any better. I think the problem is the glass itself, but because it is a 3-part slider, the cost is horrendous to replace the doors.

Dori
Dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Don

TUG Member

Resorts: Wyndham National Harbor, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Sands Ocean Club, Sea Oats Beach Club
Try Magic Eraser. It works on ours, but ours may not be as bad as you describe yours to be.
Old July 29, 2011, 08:23 AM   #9
Cathyb

TUG Member

Resorts: Marriott DSV I & Newport Coast; Westin Mission Hills; The Whaler/Maui July 4; Pono Kai/Kauai /Wk 52; Worldmark; Carlsbad
Thumbs up Thank you all for your ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathyb View Post

TIA
Thanks so much! I've got my 'cleaning product' list from here and the other post recommended -- As someone once said ' I'll be back' when I find the product that does the job. You Tuggers are terrific
Old July 29, 2011, 01:08 PM   #10
pedro47

TUG Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrose View Post
There was a long thread about this a few years ago:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread....ighlight=glass

I had that problem on my windows; supposedly during a heavy rain if the rain came through the screen, it took metal (?) from the screen and that, over the years, etched the glass. However I got it off with this incredible stuff that I believe was called Zap .....it came in a plastic canister with pre-satured wipes....but I think it was discontinued.

If your doors are one-way mirrored, don't put anything on the coated side. (I don't know if that's the inside or outside )
Is Zap the product use to remove wall paper?
pedro47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2011, 02:14 PM   #11
pjrose

TUG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro47 View Post
Is Zap the product use to remove wall paper?
No, it was specifically to clean hard-to-clean glass. I can't find it online anymore. It came in a cannister like the shopping-cart wipes at stores. My guess is that it had very strong chemicals that were not allowable (?). I'm not sure it was called Zap - maybe ZZap, or something like that.
Old July 29, 2011, 04:02 PM   #12
RonB
TUG Member

Lime Away
Spot-X Hard Water Spot and Stain Remover
Bar Keepers Friend

I have not tried any of these, but they may help ~ Ron
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2011, 10:03 PM   #13
Rose Pink
TUG Member

You can also try scraping with a razor blade to see if anything comes off. Be careful not to scratch the glass.
Old July 29, 2011, 10:54 PM   #14
Kal
TUG Member

I have been using a product I purchased from a company that sells window glass. It's worked very well but recently my wife purchased a product at an automobile parts store to clean the finish on her car. It is called Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit. It removes "environmental contaminants, fallout, brake dust, tree sap and more that have bonded to the paint finish".

It really does the job. She used it on the windshield and the results were fantastic.

Give it a look!
Old July 29, 2011, 11:57 PM   #15
pjrose

TUG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
I have been using a product I purchased from a company that sells window glass. It's worked very well but recently my wife purchased a product at an automobile parts store to clean the finish on her car. It is called Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit. It removes "environmental contaminants, fallout, brake dust, tree sap and more that have bonded to the paint finish".

It really does the job. She used it on the windshield and the results were fantastic.

Give it a look!
This is a great idea. Someone recently recommended it to me to restore the finish of dull weathered paint. His truck had a beautifully shiny finish, though he said it was awful when he first bought it before he used the "clay". Meguiar's products are excellent.
Old July 30, 2011, 12:32 AM   #16
muranojo
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05
We live in a hard-water area and our lower windows would occasionally get hit by the sprinklers. Shower Power worked for me, and it's marketed as a shower cleaner product.

However, we have the same problem with the glass shower door. It's tough to train people to squeegie after every shower when they're in a hurry. Heck, it's tough to get DH to remember to turn on the vent fan before getting into the shower.
muranojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2011, 08:07 AM   #17
Cathyb

TUG Member

Lightbulb Lime-away--didn't work fo us

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB View Post
Lime Away
Spot-X Hard Water Spot and Stain Remover
Bar Keepers Friend

I have not tried any of these, but they may help ~ Ron
Lime-away failed -- boohoo. Applied three different applications over an hour. That was the first stuff we tried. Also just bought Magic Eraser and no luck. Will keep trying the other suggestions. Thank you all!
Old July 30, 2011, 08:19 AM   #18
vckempson

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 14, 10

Resorts: Wyndham, Smokey Mts & Pagosa Springs (330k pts) / 3 Lockoffs in overbuilt, overhyped places (Cheap TPU's)
If it is truly hard water calcium, then Muriatic acid will take it right off. That's the definitive solution for calcium deposits. It's very caustic stuff, so use gloves and pore a little bit outside into big plastic cup. It is an acid after all. If will foam up like crazy as it disolves the calcium. Protect the surrounding area with plastic, open your windows and have some water to dilute and rinse. You can get it at Sears Hardware, or Home Depot. If that doesn't take it off, then it's not calcium build up from hard water.

If the glass is oxidized, I saw this stuff on TV that's made to clean auto headlights. It restores/repairs the oxidation so it's clear again. I have no first hand experience with it, but just saw it on TV yesterday. Here's a link to check it out.

http://www.asseenontvus.com/fast-brite/

Good Luck!

Last edited by vckempson; July 30, 2011 at 08:21 AM.
vckempson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2011, 10:34 AM   #19
Kal
TUG Member

Muriatic acid is a pretty strong acid as it will eat concrete AND any metallic trim around the glass window. IMHO, I wouldn't use it as you could easily end up with a much bigger problem.