• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking of rescinding - [Sheraton Vistana Resort]

Welshmd

Reaction score
We're still in the rescinsion period after buying a Starwood 2bed in Orlando FL (no previous TS experience). From this forum we now realise the value of the property itself is negligible and are thinking of cancelling. But we also realise this isn't the whole story to TS...we really like the concept.

What do forum members think ? Should we stick with Starwood ? We paid US$ 20000 for membership of SVR.

:ponder:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of us here like the concept too....a lot, but we have found that you can have a timeshare for a whole lot less than buying from a developer.

I did the same as you...bought a timeshare in Orlando from a developer (Wyndham) We rescinded, and almost immediately bought through ebay.

My advice is rescind, but dont do what I did and immediately go to ebay. Take some time to do your homework..understand this thing a little better...then buy

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi and welcome to TUG! :hi:

I moved your post to the Starwood forum - welcome aboard!

YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY RESCIND! This timeshares is selling for $1 on ebay.

Then you can hang out with us, take your time and do your homework, and make a decision with no pressure!

Please read this article about rescinding - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74493

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Definitely rescind. I just traded into Vistana Fountains for my cost of $379 through RCI. :ignore:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Rescind ASAP! NO timeshare is worth $20K and certainly not the easily obtained Vistana. Save your money & buy resale or rent/trade in. Not a good "deal".

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have said- Rescind! Even if you love the place and want to go there annually, you can rent there for about the maintenance fee with no long term commitment.

We all love the concept of TS, just not in overbuilt places (like central Florida) and bought resale.

Welcome to TUG!

Let us know after you have sent your rescission letter. Do it exactly as it says in your packet (the info will be buried in the fine print). Tell us how and where you want to vacation and you will get more darn suggestions than you will have time to use.

Good Luck!

Jim Ricks

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Rescind! Rescind! Rescind! Do not go to Go. Do not collect $200. Rescind immediately.

Welshmd

Reaction score
Thinking of rescinding

Thanks - that's really helpful. If we were to buy the actual TS elsewhere, how would we go about getting the other benefits of SVR (mainly the exchanges - the whole Staroption/starpoint thing) ?

Welshmd

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks - that's really helpful. If we were to buy the actual TS elsewhere, how would we go about getting the other benefits of SVR (mainly the exchanges - the whole Staroption/starpoint thing) ?

Welshmd

Hi and welcome back.

Starwood resales cannot be converted to Starpoints. Some can be converted to Staroptions.

However, the main reason to buy a timeshare is to timeshare. It's not a good value to buy a timeshare, with the intention of converting it to Starpoints. The big question is, is it worth $20,000 just to be able to convert to Starpoints in the first place? The answer is a resounding no!

Most people feel that having a timeshare that can be converted to StarOptions is a good value - but you can buy a resale week with Staroptions.

Another excellent option for exchanging a timeshare that does not have Staroptions is trading with Interval International. Because of the Starwood to Starwood priority in Interval, you can buy a modest Starwood timeshare for less than $500 all in, and trade it for some of the top Starwood resorts - like Maui.

Here is the Starwood FAQ with more details about how Starwood works - please let us know what questions you have.

There is a lot to learn before you decide what is exactly right for you - rescind, and then take the time to do all your research, before you make that decision.

wales

Reaction score
As a fellow Welsh person, take the advice given and resind. we wish we had discovered the TUG when we could have resinded. The maintainence fees every year are a challenge. TUG is great and people are very knowledgeable.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Rescinda-Sinda-Sinda.

Get out of it while you can.

Nothing that the timeshare companies sell at full freight is worth the money -- & that goes for Vistana Orlando along with all the rest.

Buy timeshares resale. Save thousands of dollars on exactly the same thing, or the equivalent, or something even better.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

sportsduck

Reaction score
Rescind

Absolutely rescind. I made the mistake of buying directly from a resort about 13 years ago and after some experience and lessons learned, I told myself if I were to buy a second week to buy resale. Sure enough I'm in the midst of purchasing (ironically enough) a week at the Sheraton Vistana Resort. After purchase price, fees, and whatnot it is about 10% of the cost of what Sheraton offered you directly. The best part about this is it's a fixed Week 52 which has incredible trading power within RCI's Week system. Will be able to easily get a few vacations per year out of it.

Good luck in whatever you do / did.

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
i wonder if we scared her away! hope she rescinded. thank goodness i bought resale!!