Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timeshare Resort Systems > Starwood Vacation Ownership

Starwood Vacation Ownership Discussions about the Westin / Sheraton branded Timeshare network

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old October 20, 2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Richierich2
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 20, 11

Resorts: SDO Gold Plus
SPG Points from Explorer package

I was just at the Westin Kaanapali VIllas North property, I rented a studio for 10 days @ Rental by owner.com

I went to the timeshare presentation, and declined to buy (had already just stopped by a broker in Lahina and saw I could by the same thing for half) though they really get you excited about the extra staroption points.

I know now the best options is a resale through TUG or ebay.

At the end of it though they got me hooked to do a explorer program by showing me the increasing prices to rent next year @ expedia, and by going back for another presentation getting 50,000 SPG Points. (looks like a 5 day trip at Westin hotel to Whistler)

I called in to asked if I could actually change it to an explorer package @ Princeville since I want to go there in a year or so anyways, and but before I could ask about switching it so told me how to cancel it (which I have till the 10/22/11)

So if I can change it to Princeville and pay maybe $1000 more than renting from a owner on the TUG board, is it worth it for the SPG points to go to Princeville and tell them no again?

Since finding this site I am addicted to reading everything I can about Starwood and trying to figure out if it is best system for me. (which maybe just renting timeshares from people who don't use them) or buying a resale, though I have another 20 questions about that later.

Richie
Richierich2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2011, 09:04 PM   #2
YYJMSP

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 2, 09

Resorts: WKORV, WKORVN, SVR (Cascades, Spas), WLR, WDW -- SVN 5 Star Elite
You can buy Starpoints directly from SPG.

The regular price for 20,000 SPG points is $700. That is the most that you can purchase per year per account. If you and your spouse each have a SPG account, you can purchase 40,000 SPG points for $1,400.

They often go "on sale" for quite a bit less.

So, 50K SPG points for an extra $1000 is probably a wash if you were planning on going anyways...