• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham's hand is in MY cookie jar! Their tenant is sitting in my Fixed Week unit.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Started this thread to seek info on OPTIONS or ways to proceed.

I try to put my guest in my Fixed Week unit at a Pompano Beach. A Friday checkin but I was calling Saturday around 5PM. Front Desk supervisor could NOT find my name on the inbound guest list. Asked her to go look on the Owner's List as I am a Fixed Week Owner. Told her my unit number - what is the problem - is someone in MY UNIT?

She had to call me back after researching "this". Research WHAT? I own the week and the unit should be empty. Her story to me was this was a screw up which happens sometimes with the computer system when it uploads the inbound list to the resort.

On the my other thread, posters are suggesting this happens more often to Fixed Week owners than once in a Blue Wyndham moon.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Started this thread to seek info on OPTIONS or ways to proceed ...

1. Call Wyndham Reservations, ask to speak to the escalation department.

2. Explain what happened and state that you want an equilvant number of Wyndham points as compensation for the loss of use of the fixed week and the embarisment to you and your guest by having to put the guest up in different accommodations.

3. If that does not work, contact:

Brenda George

Director Consumer Affairs

Consumer Affairs Department

Office of the General Counsel

Wyndham Vacation Ownership

(407) 626-5195 direct

(407) 370-5204 fax

brenda.george@wyndhamvo.com

I believe she is still there. If not than ask for her replacement.

4. If that does not work, file a complaint with the BBB of Central Florida against Wyndham Vacation Ownership and Wyndham Vacation Resorts as well as the Resort POA.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Robert.

Still need suggestions - in one sense, I don't want to start WWIII but I know that they are getting more brazen IF they actually have the computer system "stealing" units. This is NOT that I didn't checkin on Fri by 4PM - these people were in that unit before 4-5PM Saturday.

Is ANYONE staying at the Wyndhams or in FLL RIGHT NOW? The unit's checkout day is FRIDAY --- I need a spy! PM please ...

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Wish I could be a spy for you.

Sorry for the issues with Wyndham and your fixed week. It's absolutely disgusting that Wyndham would steal your week, and they owe you for it! I would be very angry, if this happened to me.

Wyndham is really crusing for a lawsuit on this one. I hope other fixed week owners find this thread.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Started this thread to seek info on OPTIONS or ways to proceed.

I try to put my guest in my Fixed Week unit at a Pompano Beach. A Friday checkin but I was calling Saturday around 5PM. Front Desk supervisor could NOT find my name on the inbound guest list. Asked her to go look on the Owner's List as I am a Fixed Week Owner. Told her my unit number - what is the problem - is someone in MY UNIT?

I'm sorry but I don't understand Sat is after Fri yet you say you called on Sat to verify - do you mean the Sat BEFORE your check in or the Sat after?

If someone is in there BEFORE your check in - well, might it be their week?
If someone is there after - I've heard of resorts using a unit if you don't call and "confirm" your week or "occupy" your unit at check in time.

Please clarify

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
You own that room at that week. If someone was in squatting in your house and you couldn't gain access, what would you do?

Contact the police, explain to them that someone is illegally staying in your property and you would like them removed, let Wyndham deal with the unhappy renter

Why treat this any differently then a squatter staying in your home?

Last edited:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
You own that room at that week. If someone was in squatting in your house and you couldn't gain access, what would you do?

Contact the police, explain to them that someone is illegally staying in your property and you would like them removed, let Wyndham deal with the unhappy renter

Why treat this any differently then a squatter staying in your home?

The police would probably treat this as a civil matter and indicate that an eviction proceedure would need to be used. That would take over a week.

Remember, the occupant also has a lease claim to the unit because Wyndham gave them that.

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think your issue is with Wyndham not the people currently the unit. Here is my question, If there is a mechanical issue in your unit for your week, are you given a comparable/better unit during the same week or are you just "out" your week?

Jason

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The police would probably treat this as a civil matter and indicate that an eviction proceedure would need to be used. That would take over a week.

Remember, the occupant also has a lease claim to the unit because Wyndham gave them that.

While I agree that the police would not want to inject themselves into what they would look at as a civil matter, the truth is that it appears that Wyndham rented something they don't own.

I smell a lawsuit. Depending on the numbers of people involved, I'd be very tempted to go to the press. If Princess lines can delay/detain ships over a couple hundred people with diarrhea, Wyndham can get judged by the court of public opinion over renting other peoples' property.

This isn't finished by a long shot.

Jim

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't understand Sat is after Fri yet you say you called on Sat to verify - do you mean the Sat BEFORE your check in or the Sat after?
... I've heard of resorts using a unit if you don't call and "confirm" your week or "occupy" your unit at check in time.

Please clarify

My FIXED WEEK unit does NOT require me to comfirm occupancy. I found a renter on Saturday afternoon and called immediately. I knew I had "lost" Friday night, but it appears Wyndham rented this unit BEFORE hand as my name was NOT even assigned to my FIXED WEEK UNIT as the inbound guest. When it took Wyndham over an hour to call me back while LOOKING for my week (?????), I had already offer to supply them with a copy of my deed or MF bill or contract number. I even ask when this first started, my unit SHOULD be vacate as I own it.

AS for occupying my week --- do I have ONLY 5 minutes to claim it as MINE before they can use/rent/seize it as THEIR property??? Remember, this was NOT past the 24 hour period of check in when I first called.

stevelb

TUG Member
Reaction score
My FIXED WEEK unit does NOT require me to comfirm occupancy. I found a renter on Saturday afternoon and called immediately. I knew I had "lost" Friday night, but it appears Wyndham rented this unit BEFORE hand as my name was NOT even assigned to my FIXED WEEK UNIT as the inbound guest. When it took Wyndham over an hour to call me back while LOOKING for my week (?????), I had already offer to supply them with a copy of my deed or MF bill or contract number. I even ask when this first started, my unit SHOULD be vacate as I own it.

AS for occupying my week --- do I have ONLY 5 minutes to claim it as MINE before they can use/rent/seize it as THEIR property??? Remember, this was NOT past the 24 hour period of check in when I first called.

Can we know the actual name of the resort in question, please.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

Did they offer you a comparable unit at the resort for your time requested? Not sure if you provided that already.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Did they offer you a comparable unit at the resort for your time requested? Not sure if you provided that already.

See post 1 on this thread. I believe, they did take the guest in a different unit according to a post on a different thread on TUGS. To the issue of damages, I do not think this makes a whole lot of differences. The issue is the Orginal Poster was denied the use of a deeded week that was rented out by Wyndham for there profit purposes and the cooresponding problems that created.

MAINER4GOOD

TUG Member
Reaction score
See post 1 on this thread. I believe, they did take the guest in a different unit according to a post on a different thread on TUGS. To the issue of damages, I do not think this makes a whole lot of differences. The issue is the Orginal Poster was denied the use of a deeded week that was rented out by Wyndham for there profit purposes and the cooresponding problems that created.

I would talk to the Resort Manager or someone high up to see what they are going to do to fix the mistake. If you feel the compensation is not enough, tell them what you feel is needed. Mistakes do happen, your guests got accommodations, and this is not a reason to go lawsuit-happy.

As a Resort Manager, this has happened to me a couple of times for various reasons over the years. It was not done for financial gain for the resort, but done to save money (if possible) for the resort. I understand Wyndham doesn't have the same financial issues I worry about, but they do need to make it right for the owner.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think it might make a difference. Seems like it would come down to what the contract states. This has to occur frequently. Also, I am assuming that the maintenance fees were paid in full?

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked to the Resort Manager Monday afternoon. I have met him several times. He admitted this was a computer problem that has happen before (losing fixed week owners and having other "guests" assigned to their deed unit). I asked where did these "guests" come from? (as EVERY reservation in the points reservation system is ASSIGNED a unit number). Were they Wyndham points owner, Extra Vacations (Wyndham rental arm of the corporation) or RCI Exchangers? He said he didn't know. I called my unit later and asked for "Linda"; when told there was "no Linda here", asked if they rented Linda's unit from LINDA? "No, they rented that unit from Wyndham".

Maintenance fees paid via credit card before year end.

No compensation offered. My inbound guest was assigned another unit when they did checkin on Sunday AM (my week started on Friday).

Wyndham tries to improve the Wyndham corporate bottom line EVERY chance they get. HOA can just issue another special assessment. T/S are filthy rich - they can pay more.

Will PM name of resort, if asked.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I think I know which one because you had previous post of a last-minute rental.

This is inexcusable, and I am digusted with Wyndham. Yes, they do rent all of the points for $8-10 to current members, too, who use resorts and probably Wyndham keeps the cash and doesn't give that money to the individual resorts for wear and tear, housekeeping, etc. :mad:

Last edited:

MAINER4GOOD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked to the Resort Manager Monday afternoon. I have met him several times. He admitted this was a computer problem that has happen before (losing fixed week owners and having other "guests" assigned to their deed unit). I asked where did these "guests" come from? (as EVERY reservation in the points reservation system is ASSIGNED a unit number). Were they Wyndham points owner, Extra Vacations (Wyndham rental arm of the corporation) or RCI Exchangers? He said he didn't know. I called my unit later and asked for "Linda"; when told there was "no Linda here", asked if they rented Linda's unit from LINDA? "No, they rented that unit from Wyndham".

Maintenance fees paid via credit card before year end.

No compensation offered. My inbound guest was assigned another unit when they did checkin on Sunday AM (my week started on Friday).

Wyndham tries to improve the Wyndham corporate bottom line EVERY chance they get. HOA can just issue another special assessment. T/S are filthy rich - they can pay more.

Will PM name of resort, if asked.

Linda, I would go back to the Manager and let him know what you expect for compensation. In my opinion, being reasonable would net you the best results. Even if it is a $100 dinner or $100 gift card for their mistake, it lets them know that they screwed up and you know they screwed up. After all, they had the space because they had room for your guests.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Linda, I would go back to the Manager and let him know what you expect for compensation. In my opinion, being reasonable would net you the best results. Even if it is a $100 dinner or $100 gift card for their mistake, it lets them know that they screwed up and you know they screwed up. After all, they had the space because they had room for your guests.

I believe the rental arm of Wyndham charges 40% as a "booking" fee and then, deducts housekeeping charges OFF after that. The HOA/Resorts/Owners almost Never get more than $20 per night - and ONLY for the number of nights rented out. One 1 rental per week (so if the first guy asks for 1 night, the other 6 nights it sits empty). The resort manager is slave to who the computer says is INBOUND and can reassign a unit in very limited situations - handicap, damaged unit, police tape, big ass VIP level. The resort does NOT collect money unless the computer tells them to.

I don't think he has even a gift card for Subway ... sales gets all the goodies.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is one of the many problems that the recent spate of changes Wyndham has unilaterally decided to impose - much like the infamous Wastegate - that made us decide to sell our ownership despite over 15 years of very satisfied use. It had become increasingly and uncomfortably clear that Wyndham holds all control and you as an owner are left to beg for your rights - deeded week or points - it doesn't seem to matter. Think about it. What recourse do you really have when the resort is managed by Wyndham, the collections, reservations and BOD are all run by or controlled by Wyndham - then there is you, the tiny owner is a vast sea of others. They know it makes zero sense to try to get judicial satisfaction even if your rights are trampled as the cost to you would far exceed any potential win (and there is zero guarantee of a win). So you are reduced to pitting one area of Wyndham control against the other(s). Guess who tends to win!

It is all too typical of a developer controlled operation and why we sold not only Wyndham but all our ownerships that didn't have owner control and independent management. And of course it helped that we can get virtually any timeshare at any time far cheaper renting than owning in 99% of the cases. The two we kept just happened to be our favorites or we may have sold those as well. Good luck trying to get justice from the very people who are screwing you over to begin with.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why does it not surprise me? :ponder: They definitely got caught making $ off your property and oops you discovered them. Unit should of been empty as they have their $ from it via paid up maint. fees.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, they do rent all of the points for $8-10 to current members, too, who use resorts and probably Wyndham keeps the cash and doesn't give that money to the individual resorts for wear and tear, housekeeping, etc. :mad:

Yes this is a horrible situation. The resort may not have had space Friday night for Linda if her or a guest arrived.

Wyndham most have ownership, right to use of billions of points that they can and should be able to rent out.

Unsold inventory
Plus partners
Owners give points to offset mfs

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

Nemo dat quod non habet.

One of the things I actually learned in law school! "You can't give what you don't have."

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Nemo dat quod non habet.

One of the things I actually learned in law school! "You can't give what you don't have."

Yes, as a general rule, you are right, however, Wyndham has physical control of the timeshares, and as had pointed out to me a number of times by the sales staff, if I do not buy more timeshares from them, they will start taking mine. That is why, in my bad joke, I welcomed the orginal poster to the Wyndham "We do not like you" club. And, yes, I have had to insist my reservation be honored or let me complete the reservation. A couple of locations have told me to leave the resort immediatly when I declined to buy another timeshare from them.

Also, please see post 14. Someone who ID'ed himself as a non-Wyndham resort manager, explained that when it happens with him, it is to do it to save money for the Resort.

Also, I remember, over the years of a couple of scandles that involved Real Estate, where a non-owner sold properties that did not belong to them then took the money and ran.

You would be referring to what ethical attornies would follow.

Last edited:

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
. They know it makes zero sense to try to get judicial satisfaction even if your rights are trampled as the cost to you would far exceed any potential win (and there is zero guarantee of a win)...

One thing you may want to look into is suing Wyndham in small claims court. You don't need a lawyer, make them jump through hoops and would probably get more out of them than from them directly.

Jason