• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SVO email re: II and RCI Assignments

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received the following e-mail from SVO--I usually don't prepay my MF's before assigning to II, but it appears that this may be a thing of the past. Did anyone else receive the below e-mail?

External Exchange Assignment Requirements

Dear ANITA,

There is important new information regarding External Exchange that will affect your future requests through Interval International® and RCI®*.

Beginning March 21, 2012, your annual assessment must be paid in full when you request to assign your week for a current or future Use Year. This is part of an ongoing effort to maintain the financial health of your Owners' Association.

What you need to know:
Annual assessments must be paid in full to assign your week to your External Exchange company
If you have an available week assigned with Interval International prior to March 21, then your annual assessments must be paid in full at the time you begin a new exchange request
Any External Exchange requests that are in progress or confirmed vacations with either Interval International or RCI prior to March 21 are not affected
Should you have any questions, please call Owner Services toll free at 800-847-8262, or direct at 407-903-4640 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time, or Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time.

Sincerely,

SVO Management, Inc.

*Only Sheraton Vistana Resort, Sheraton Broadway Plantation – Plantation phase, Sheraton Desert Oasis, Vistana's Beach Club and Lakeside Terrace are affiliated with RCI through agreements with the respective Association.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope didn't get it. Glad I got my 2013 in week in :)

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
I got it too, with a strange subject line: *test 1819* Announcing new requirements for External Exchange

It didn't mention SFX for exchanges -- maybe if you use them you don't have to prepay? :p

daileyad

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm amazed they're allowed to change this on us. I thought such things had to be written in the contract?

I've assigned my unit and already requested an exchange. I'm not clear - does that mean I won't have to pay mf's for it since it already has a pending request? Or will they refuse to confirm my exchange when it comes through?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Exchanging (of any kind) is not written in the contract. Starwood can and does change the rules. I am sure it's to keep deadbeats from exchanging their weeks, and then not paying the next year's MF. It's unfortunate for responsible owners, but on the other hand, it's prudent mangement.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
"I am sure it's to keep deadbeats from exchanging their weeks, and then not paying the next year's MF. It's unfortunate for responsible owners, but on the other hand, it's prudent mangement."

Agree, completely. Salty :D

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I've assigned my unit and already requested an exchange. I'm not clear - does that mean I won't have to pay mf's for it since it already has a pending request? Or will they refuse to confirm my exchange when it comes through?

From the OP:

Any External Exchange requests that are in progress or confirmed vacations with either Interval International or RCI prior to March 21 are not affected.

If you already have an exchange request in for a particular, I take the above sentence to mean that you will pay your mf at the usual time (i.e. end of Dec./early Jan.). You still have the rest of today to designate any 2013 weeks for exchange. : )

I agree with Denise (and Jarta) that it is a way to prevent owners from deposting a week and then defaulting on the mf. So while it's annoying, if it lowers the number of non-payers, I'm ok with it.

Glorian

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It's about time SVN implemented this change. I haven't received the email yet, but I'm sure I will. Proper management, IMO, should have made this change years ago.

jjlovecub

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's about time SVN implemented this change. I haven't received the email yet, but I'm sure I will. Proper management, IMO, should have made this change years ago.

I disagree. Why punish those of us who are responsible? I have never been late or not paid my MF in 12 years. Now I have to pay a full year out just to make a request. Glad my 2013 week was done already. I know many TS do this but to me it was a huge plus of Starwood that is now gone

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Exchanging (of any kind) is not written in the contract. Starwood can and does change the rules. I am sure it's to keep deadbeats from exchanging their weeks, and then not paying the next year's MF. It's unfortunate for responsible owners, but on the other hand, it's prudent mangement.

"Starwood can and does change their rules"
I wonder what this does to Pmuppet's biz plan? sorry... couldn't resist ;)

While I do not use II/RCI - I can certainly see why considering that it only takes a few rotten apples to spoil the bunch (so to speak). Like Ken - I am surprised this has not been implemented sooner.

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.:) I guess I will have to get used to paying my MFs almost a year in advance instead of paying monthly and accruing a credit.

Hopefully this will have the desired effect of ensuring that the proper money is collected and no 'deadbeats' will be able to take advantage of the system in the future. I do wonder though if the number of requests filled will be higher initially since people can't request an exchange without being fully paid up so the early bird ends up with the worm?

Anita

gcole

TUG Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Why punish those of us who are responsible? I have never been late or not paid my MF in 12 years. Now I have to pay a full year out just to make a request. Glad my 2013 week was done already. I know many TS do this but to me it was a huge plus of Starwood that is now gone

I agree. I can see revoking the week if you are late and loosing the privledge. I will be able to pull the extra 1200 bucks togetheer, but I imagine this will be the end for many. I am afraid it will backfire and mean more uncollected fees.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I have not received the email yet I already had my SDO 2014 week designated but with no search in yet since I'm looking to use it for a summer 2014 trip, so I just put in a request for HRA for March 2014 (of course, I also plan on paying the MFs when they are due in January).

It will be interesting to see if they try to make you pay the fees if you add to or change the request in place.

Last edited:

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not received the emaile yet I already had my SDO 2014 week designated but with no search in yet since I'm looking to use it for a summer 2014 trip, so I just put in a request for HRA for March 2014 (of course, I also plan on paying the MFs when they are due in January).

It will be interesting to see if they try to make you pay the fees if you add to or change the request in place.
The soonest you can designate a 2014 unit for exchange would be Jan 1, 2013...?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Yes - if it is a 1-52 floating week. The first day you can reserve it, is also the first day you can deposit it.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Sorry, I meant 2013 UY. That's what I get for browsing the boards as I'm falling asleep!:eek:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have not received the emaile yet

I received the email and do not even use the exchange systems - check your spam folder or check with SVO to make sure they have your correct email address.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It came through about 2:00 this morning.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
"Beginning March 21, 2012, your annual assessment must be paid in full when you request to assign your week for a current or future Use Year. This is part of an ongoing effort to maintain the financial health of your Owners' Association."

I'm not sure how to read this. Does this mean that in order to deposit my 2013 SVV week, I have to be current on my 2012 MFs? Or does that mean that I have to pre-pay my 2013 MFs?

I'm actually thinking it means the former only because "current" doesn't mean "pre-paid," though I'm good with it either way.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"Beginning March 21, 2012, your annual assessment must be paid in full when you request to assign your week for a current or future Use Year. This is part of an ongoing effort to maintain the financial health of your Owners' Association."

I'm not sure how to read this. Does this mean that in order to deposit my 2013 SVV week, I have to be current on my 2012 MFs? Or does that mean that I have to pre-pay my 2013 MFs?

I'm actually thinking it means the former only because "current" doesn't mean "pre-paid," though I'm good with it either way.

You'll need to have the week you are looking to assign for deposit paid in full, whether it's the current year or a future year. In other words, you'll have to prepay.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Exchange NEWS

If you are exchanging a Single week - you will probably use a "Trader" and paying what is hopefully one of your lower MF's assuming one has more than one week!

So "Half Full and Half Empty" NEWS :( :)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I second, third? :), this is a right move to get MF out of the deadbeats. It helps keep our MF down, at least on covering the delinquent portion.

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got the email today.

I have no objection to SVO making this change for SVN resorts; it's their perogative. For non-SVN resorts, I'd be ok with it if the email indicated that the BOD from my resort had made this decision. But that was not the case.

Do I have to pre-pay 2013 fees to reserve a week at my home resort? Why should I have to prepay to "assign" my week to II (especially when Starwood gets involved if I try to actually confirm an exchange)?

And yes, this is Starwood where my FAQ's under reservation requests on mystarcentral still mention "depositing" and "no fee" (not to mention reserving a week before depositing). :hysterical: :hysterical:

<<Q: Do I have to request a vacation exchange at the same time I deposit the vacation time I own?
A: No, but the sooner you enter a request, the more time your exchange company has to match a request. Planning and requesting early is important! And remember, there is no fee to deposit your vacation time.>>

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I feel your pain, but we've been down this road before - in 2009, when Starwood changed the II rules the last time. Starwood still manages your resort, and they have tremendous influence over the boards. I don't like this decision either, but on the other hand, I understand the reasoning behind it.

You pay now, or you pay later - but you pay.