• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2012] "Should My Week(s) Be Enrolled?"

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Moderator Note: An attempt will be made to keep all of the information in this first post current, however, it's best to verify any information through the TUG FAQ - MVC DESTINATIONS Points Program sticky thread. All posts following this one will remain unedited so as to provide historical context, and the thread will remain open for related discussion. Please PM/email the moderator if you find outdated information in this post. Thanks!

1) First and most important! Enrollment in the DC does not equate to a permanent exchange of your Week(s) to DC Points. With respect to existing Week(s) the Destination Club is basically an overlay exchange system, with the same availability limitations as any other exchange system. Enrollment does not change any of the traditional usage options of your Week(s). You will still be able to book your home resort in season for personal use, exchange through II, rent through Marriott or privately, etc. Enrollment simply gives you the additional option of converting your Week(s) to DC Points on an annual basis for usage in the DC system.

2) Effective 6/14/12 the basic Enrollment Fee is $2,395* for all eligible Weeks. Eligible Weeks include:

- all US and Caribbean resorts Weeks sold prior to 6/20/10
- all Caribbean resort Weeks purchased direct from Marriott between 6/21/10 and 12/26/12
- all European resort Weeks sold prior to 6/18/12
- Weeks purchased direct from Marriott Resales Operations along with certain Trust Points purchases.

*Since the DC inception there have been various other incentive pricing and eligibility options for enrollment; see the TUG discussion forums for any ongoing/current offers.

3) To determine how many DC Points your Week(s) will be allotted, sign in to your owners.marriottvacationclub.com account and navigate through "Enrollment" under "Managing Your Ownership." Check the "I have read and understood the above" box and click on the "Start Enrolling Now" button. An "Exchange Program Enrollment" page will come up showing the DC Points values of your Weeks; this link should take you directly to it after you sign in. You will be able to back out of the enrollment process at this point.

The owner status levels of DC Members are determined by the total number of DC Points for which you're eligible (and not by how many you may be using in a given year.) These numbers are defined in the docs as a percentage of the aggregate total of DC Points and therefore, are subject to change. See the "DC Membership Status Tiers" section in the TUG FAQ - MVC DESTINATIONS Points Program thread and the "Benefits At A Glance" chart linked there.

4) The current annual Club Dues fee is $185 for Owners and Select Members, $225 for Executive and Presidential Members, and $250 for Chairman's Club Members. If you enroll your Week(s) you will be required to pay this annual fee regardless of whether you elect to convert your enrolled Week(s) to DC Points in a given year, and you must pay this annual fee in addition to the annual Maintenance Fees for your specific resorts. If you do not pay this fee your enrollment will end; re-enrollment will be subject to the terms and fees in effect at the time of re-enrollment.

This fee covers the per/transaction Marriott fees related to Weeks usage such as cancellations, lock-offs, MRP-exchanges, etc. There has been one fee increase since the DC introduction.

5) The Club Dues fee also covers the II dues for the new/corporate II account which will be assigned to you, as well as the Marriott-to-Marriott exchange fees through that new II account. Note if you exchange your enrolled Week(s) through that new II account to non-Marriott resorts, or, if you include a non-Marriott resort in an ongoing search through that account (regardless of whether it's ultimately matched to a Marriott resort,) you will be required to pay those II exchange fees. As well, if you own non-Marriott resorts you will have to maintain a separate II account for those.

If you have an ongoing request in your old II account, that Week deposit will remain in that account and you will have to pay the II transaction fee for its ultimate exchange match.

When all of your Weeks have been enrolled and moved into your new II account, you will be eligible for AC's from II depending on how many months/years you have remaining on your old account: one AC if you have between one year and 35 months remaining, two AC's if you have between three years and 59 months, three AC's if you have more than five years remaining. They'll be issued/processed in your old/individual account on a staggered basis, and you will have to pay the exchange fees for their use. Each will expire one year from the date of issue. Some TUGgers have been able to get a partial refund of their II dues, instead of keeping their old accounts open with these AC's, by calling in to II and requesting it.

Those of us who have enrolled our Week(s) do not see any differences between our old/individual and new/corporate II accounts. The website interface is the same, inventory is the same for exchanges and Getaways, the occasional II promotions for extra intervals are the same, access to the Choose2 program is the same, up-grading to Gold and Plat status in II is the same, etc. Through experience TUGgers have found that the Club Dues fee covers some of these II extras but not all. Discussion about current coverage may be found later in the thread or elsewhere in the discussion forum.

6) Enrolled Week(s) that were purchased direct from Marriott will retain the Marriott Rewards Points exchange option as it was originally offered. Any pre-6/20/10 external resale Week(s) which are enrolled will gain an MRP exchange option as defined in the MR-related governing document:
4.c. An Eligible Member who did not have the ability to trade the use of their Interest in a particular Use Year for Marriott Rewards points prior to enrollment in the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program shall receive the amount of Marriott Rewards points for each traded Interest as specified in the applicable Resort Rules & Regulations for the resort where the Interest is located. If the applicable Resort Rules & Regulations for the resort where the Interest is located does not identify the amount of Marriott Rewards points to be received for the traded Interest, then the Eligible Member shall not have the ability to trade the use of their Interest for Marriott Rewards points after enrollment in the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program. The option to trade the Use Period associated with the Exchange Member’s Interest per season for Marriott Rewards points shall be limited to non-successive Use Years; i.e. trades may not be made two (2) years in a row, or in the case of an every-other-year Eligible Member, at least three (3) years must separate Use Years in which trades are made, as specified in the Resort Rules & Regulations. The applicable Resort Rules & Regulations for the resort where the Interest is located shall also govern the number of Marriott Rewards points the Eligible Member may receive for the assignment of a Use Period associated with the Exchange Member’s Interest.

Basically, an enrolled external-resale Week will be eligible for the same amount of MRP that a similar direct-purchase Week is allotted, but on a reduced-frequency basis. For example, a SurfWatch Plat 3BR direct-purchase Week can be exchanged annually for 135K MRP. A same-interval Week purchased prior to 6/20/10 on the external market will gain upon enrollment the option to exchange it every-other-year for 135K MRP.

7) Occasionally there may be various enrollment incentives including reduced enrollment fees, one-time bonus DC Points, Encore Packages, etc. Any bonus DC Points given as an incentive will expire one year from the date of issue and may be used to book reservations within 60 days of check-in. The current Points Charts are linked in the TUG Points FAQ; they stipulate the number of DC Points required to reserve intervals. Play around to get an idea of how much usage value you can get out of those bonus Points - consider using them to tack on extra days to a Week(s) reservation, a weekend at a drive-to resort, etc.

Note these Points Charts are also the one you'll use to figure out usage of enrolled Week(s) that you've converted to DC Points.

8) If you do enroll your Week(s) remember that the status and usage rules of each program do not extend to the other. You follow the rules for whichever system you're using at the time. For example, if you're booking Weeks then you go by the same Reservation Windows you always have, and if you're booking DC Points then you follow the Reservation Windows for those. There are many new links on the owners.marriottvacationclub.com website to help figure out the mechanics of all the different usage options.

9) Enrollment of a Week does not transfer upon resale of the Week to the new owner, and, the new owner will not be able to enroll the Week because external resales purchased after 6/20/10 or 6/18/12 are not eligible for enrollment. Upon family transfer of an enrolled Week, the enrollment can transfer although the new owner of record may have to pay the then-current enrollment fee. (The family transfer info is based on statements from Marriott execs since the DC inception; I don't think any actual transactions have been reported to TUG.)

Generally, enrollment in the DC makes the least amount of sense for owners of a single Week who do not routinely pay more than $175 annually in per/transaction Marriott and II fees, i.e. owners who use their Weeks at home resorts in season. It makes the most sense for owners of multi-Weeks who routinely pay annual fees in excess of $215, i.e. those who lock-off and/or exchange on a regular basis. For some, the flexible usage options - less-than-7-days DC Points stays, non-weekend check-in dates, the ability to bank/borrow Points to different Use Years, etc. - are major factors in favor of DC enrollment. Certainly, some Weeks have been valued much higher than others by Marriott and the high Points allotments of those Weeks is another major factor.

Perhaps the single most hotly-debated topic related to enrollment is "skim." Briefly, in most instances the allotment of Points for a Week will not be enough to book that Week or a similar Week. Some TUGgers think this is reason enough to not participate in the DC; others accept it as "the cost of doing business." It should definitely be understood but remember that enrollment does not mean that a Week must be converted to DC Points - many enrolled members continue to use their Weeks and II exchanges as they always have.

There is no one right or wrong answer. Take a look at your usage pattern and figure out if enrollment in the DC would, a) be cost-effective on a regular basis, or b) expand your options in ways that you will most likely take advantage of in the future. Then consider your gut feelings and make your decision. Finally, whatever you decide, go on and enjoy your vacations no matter how you're able to book them! :)

Good luck - it's not always an easy decision.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Susan

what a wonderful job of answering most questions about enrolling your week.

PS I changed the title a little

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. :eek: I hope others chime in because it's for certain that I didn't include everything that might matter with such personal decisions. Plus I'll be back here editing and adding while I can (like the #9 that I just added) so if you see something wrong, don't be afraid to point it out!

Last edited:

sjnoble

Reaction score
Thank you Susan this is very helpful.

We are a single week 1-br owner, still debating whether to enroll.
We do exchange most of the time and have been getting AC's for all deposits.
So the $165 should be less than paying the II annual due + 1 exchange fee.
But do I still have to pay II for using the AC? It'd be an easier decision if the $165 would cover the use of the AC as well...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you Susan this is very helpful.

We are a single week 1-br owner, still debating whether to enroll.
We do exchange most of the time and have been getting AC's for all deposits.
So the $165 should be less than paying the II annual due + 1 exchange fee.
But do I still have to pay II for using the AC? It'd be an easier decision if the $165 would cover the use of the AC as well...

You will still have to pay to use the AC(s) you get for enrolling. They are placed in your old II account.

sjnoble

Reaction score
You will still have to pay to use the AC(s) you get for enrolling. They are placed in your old II account.
I'm wondering how about after enrolling? If I continue to use it the current way, deposit and get AC's, do I have to pay for using the AC in the new II account?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm wondering how about after enrolling? If I continue to use it the current way, deposit and get AC's, do I have to pay for using the AC in the new II account?

This is covered by the last paragraph in item 5) of Sue's original post. You have to pay to use the ACs as they are a promotional item in II.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

This is covered by the last paragraph in item 5) of Sue's original post. You have to pay to use the ACs as they are a promotional item in II.

Right, I expect to have to pay to use AC's in our new II accounts, because the latest AC offers for Weeks deposits that we got in the mail referenced our new account number and included the same exchange fees as offers we'd received in the past.

(There have been a few posts to TUG over the last couple years in which II fees have not been charged when they should have been. One that I distinctly remember is an XYZ that was booked through a new/corporate account. I think those mistakes by II reps will be few and far between as time goes on. We'll have to chalk them up as one of those things that you just have to consider yourself lucky if it happens, but you have no way to fight for it if it doesn't.)

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Sue-
great summary!!
One question though- was #6 ever definitively clarified? I know many of us were told that resale weeks could trade for reward points every other year, and there was some question in the past as to whether the "in the case of an every-other-year Eligible Member" verbiage referred to members who could trade for points every other year or to every other year owners, such that trading for points every other year for an EOY owner would mean skipping at least 3 years.

I don't really care, but if we are going to make this a sticky and present it as factual we should clarify that so someone who cares about it will have the right info. (unless it has been definitively clarified, in which case :ignore: )

At any extent, kudos for a concise reference post!!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sue-
great summary!!
One question though- was #6 ever definitively clarified? I know many of us were told that resale weeks could trade for reward points every other year, and there was some question in the past as to whether the "in the case of an every-other-year Eligible Member" verbiage referred to members who could trade for points every other year or to every other year owners, such that trading for points every other year for an EOY owner would mean skipping at least 3 years.

I don't really care, but if we are going to make this a sticky and present it as factual we should clarify that so someone who cares about it will have the right info. (unless it has been definitively clarified, in which case :ignore: )

At any extent, kudos for a concise reference post!!

Thanks, m, and no I don't think any Marriott rep or exec has put out a definitive official statement regarding the MRP-exchange option. As many of them as you'll ask, that might be as many different answers as you'll get! And none of the info on my-vacationclub.com clarifies it, either.

They do all seem to agree that an every-year option for a direct-purchase Week will become an every-other-year option for enrolled external-resale Weeks, which is why I included that specific example in what I wrote.

But until they clear up the confusion and get on the same page with the rest of it, as far as whether the "every other year" wording applies to EOY eligibility of direct-purchase Weeks or EOY ownership of any Weeks, I figured it would be best to include the actual quoted stipulation and let time and practical application dictate the meaning. Eventually, hopefully, we'll all know the answer. ;)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks, m, and no I don't think any Marriott rep or exec has put out a definitive official statement regarding the MRP-exchange option. As many of them as you'll ask, that might be as many different answers as you'll get! And none of the info on my-vacationclub.com clarifies it, either.

They do all seem to agree that an every-year option for a direct-purchase Week will become an every-other-year option for enrolled external-resale Weeks, which is why I included that specific example in what I wrote.

But until they clear up the confusion and get on the same page with the rest of it, as far as whether the "every other year" wording applies to EOY eligibility of direct-purchase Weeks or EOY ownership of any Weeks, I figured it would be best to include the actual quoted stipulation and let time and practical application dictate the meaning. Eventually, hopefully, we'll all know the answer. ;)

We probably wont' really get clarification until a resale owner of an EY week successfully exchanges for points on year then again two years after. We can chat with the reps and ask all the questions, but I never trust the answers 100% until we see some actual confirmed situations where we have evidence.

I think that item 6) is good as written, it doesn't confirm or dispute either position. It presents it as it is written in the documentation. I see no problem with it as presented, it is still factual, just open to interpretation.

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
Sue,

Excellent summary, particularly the conclusion.

We own a pair of EOY developer weeks and an EY resale, so we get variety without exchanging. We have plenty of MRPs and our DVC membership to do whatever else we want. Since we nearly always stay where we own, our regular annual fees are only an II account. No realistic savings by enrolling and the additional options don't interest us. Doubt this makes any sense in our situation.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
For item 4), I believe the consolidated fee also covers the split week fee at resorts that offer split week and the daily fee usage options at Newport Coast and Custom House. Can anyone confirm?

Edited to Add: I think I may have found something on the my-vacationclub.com website:

Your annual Club Dues include membership and reservation fees such as the following:

• Membership with Interval International
  • Interval International internal exchange fees
  • Reservation fees
  • Electing Vacation Club Points
  • Banking, borrowing or transferring Vacation Club Points
  • Additional fees may be required for Explorer Collection vacations, such as port taxes for cruises may apply. For more information about the Explorer Collection please click here.

My guess is that Reservation Fees includes those split week, lock off, and daily use fees?

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For item 4), I believe the consolidated fee also covers the split week fee at resorts that offer split week and the daily fee usage options at Newport Coast and Custom House. Can anyone confirm?

Edited to Add: I think I may have found something on the my-vacationclub.com website:

My guess is that Reservation Fees includes those split week, lock off, and daily use fees?

I'd guess the same, that they're all covered.

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is why I love the DC.........

Availability, Availability, Availability!

Check out a sampling of vacations currently available for enrolled owners:

1. Christmas in Boston at Custom House - https://public.bay.livefilestore.co...x264vzN6n4K2mqXpIZcKQ/Custom House.png?psid=1

2. New Years in a 3-bedroom at Las Vegas Grand Chateau - https://public.bay.livefilestore.co...5l00NqhlbdmyNFISN3rA/Grand Chateau.png?psid=1

3. At the beach in Oceanfront 2-bedroom Oceana Palms - https://public.bay.livefilestore.co...pZ5nR422f9fIIMmfeboDQ/Oceana Palms.png?psid=1

4. On the beach Oceanfront at Marco Island's Crystal Shores - https://public.bay.livefilestore.co...BP_c1TXyHtWhDmCjgYQ/Crystal Shores.png?psid=1

5. On the beach in Fort Lauderdale's 2-bedroom BeachPlace Towers - https://public.bay.livefilestore.co...-RR7qulyS5kPoJ7IsQ/Fort Lauderdale.png?psid=1

6. Valentines week at Summit Watch in a 2-bedroom - https://public.bay.livefilestore.co...bSew-ZnLEgIAIzUYscf6w/Summit Watch.png?psid=1

7. Presidents Ski Week at Timberlodge in a 2-bedroom - https://public.bay.livefilestore.co...IskVC1qmLZuGAy17D4T5g/Timber Lodge.png?psid=1

8. Cadillac Golf Championship Week at Doral in a 2-Bedroom - https://public.bay.livefilestore.co...C_nSdF1cQuv_Joo9m5Fa80dKsCaA/Doral.png?psid=1

9. Beach Week in a 2-Bedroom Penthouse at Ko Olina Hawaii - https://public.bay.livefilestore.co...16xYh4S-B0IyMJTxGxXvOLQqw/Ko Olina.png?psid=1

10. Spring Break in Maui at the Ocean Club Oceanfront 2-Bedroom Villa March 2013 - https://public.bay.livefilestore.co...2Xjtb8TNNMHiWVTvpwCW7rWkuhPSQ/Maui.png?psid=1

No Line, No waiting for 13 months, No calling at 8:59am. Wow!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Generally, enrollment in the DC makes the least amount of sense for owners of a single Week who do not routinely pay more than $165 annually in per/transaction Marriott and II fees, i.e. owners who use their Weeks at home resorts in season. It makes the most sense for owners of multi-Weeks who routinely pay annual fees in excess of $199, i.e. those who lock-off and/or exchange on a regular basis. For some, the flexible usage options - less-than-7-days DC Points stays, non-weekend check-in dates, the ability to bank/borrow Points to different Use Years, etc. - are major factors in favor of DC enrollment. Certainly, some Weeks have been valued much higher than others by Marriott and the high Points allotments of those Weeks is another major factor.

I think a good way to determine if enrolling for fee savings is a good option for an owners is to do this; review your last three usage year travel, exchange and use patterns. You can look at the last two years and the current or even next year if you have those already planned.

Determine the following:
How many fees did you pay to Marriott and II that would now be covered under the single consolidated fee? Add all those fees together and multiply it by 2, then subtract either $990 (Standard Owner) or $1194 (Premier or Premier Plus Owner) from that number (these are the DC annual fees multiplied by six years). Five or sic years is a good time frame to use to determine a payback on the enrollment fee, though for simplicity I have used six years in this scenario. Then subtract your enrollment fee.

If your result is close to greater than $0, then you might want to consider enrolling for the fee savings alone. If your amount is less than $0, then you need to determine if the flexibility is worth the extra costs of enrollment and annual fees.

Here are some examples:
Example 1
Single week non lock off owner with only a single Marriott week purchased from Marriott.
Year 1: Home Resort stay - $0
Year 1: II Membership - $89
Year 2: Exchange through II - $119
Year 2: II Membership - $89
Year 3: Home resort stay - $0
Year 3: II Membership - $89

Total
$89+$119+$89+$89=$386
($386*2)-$990-$595=-$813

So you will see that you are actually paying $813 more over six years simply by enrolling. Enrolling is probably not a good option unless you determine that the $813 is worth the the added usage options.

Example 2
Two week owner both lock offs purchased externally that trades through II exclusively, standard owner.

Year 1: Lockoff - $80
Year 1: Lockoff - $80
Year 1: II Membership - $89
Year 1: Exchange through II - $119
Year 2: Lockoff - $80
Year 2: Lockoff - $80
Year 2: II Membership - $89
Year 3: Lockoff - $80
Year 3: Lockoff - $80
Year 3: II Membership - $89
Year 3: Exchange through II - $119

Total
($80+$80+$89+$119+$119+$119+$119)+($80+$80+$89+$119+$119+$119+$119)+($80+$80+$89+$119+$119+$119+$119)=$2,175
($2,175*2)-$990-$1,995=$1,365

So you will see that you are saving $1,365 over six years by enrolling. Enrolling is a great option for fee savings alone. You get the added usage options as a bonus.

Do the math or feel free to post your scenarios.

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the newsletter, this is just a limited time offer.

Yes, I did see that as interesting (through May of 2013). What is also interesting is that the myvacationclub.com website also lists access to Luxury Residences (Ritz-Carlton) as a limited time offer as well.

I like the idea of a limited-time offer as it will allow the city explorer benefit in the DC to be refreshed with new options.

http://pcihosting.net/ritz/san fran.html

Anyways, our time on this earth is a limited-time offer so might as well make the best of it!

Last edited:

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Never mind. I figured out out for myself. I added three extra days to our trip to Ocean Watch in October for 600 of the 800 points I got for joining the vacation club.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now we can use DC points for stays at Marriott Autograph Collection properties.

https://www.marriottvacationclub.co...-premierplus-2012-apr-cb-learn-more-autograph

Also now use your DC points for Stay and Play Golf packages.

https://www.marriottvacationclub.com/landing/insider/2012-04/premierplus/landing/article4.html

Nice to see them adding new properties to the DC Collections options - I've had my eye on that Mansion on Forsyth Park in Savannah for a while now, but for MR use. Maybe somebody at MVW is reading TUG and took my suggestion? :hysterical:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
While Dioxide's calculations are a good dollar and cents approach, I think there are a few other things that should be considered. Personally, my cost to enroll resale weeks that I generally occupy makes the 6 year payback unlikely, and the relatively poor point allocation given to the Caribbean resorts makes converting my weeks to points too costly (for example, looking at FractionalTraveler's post, I would need basically 2 years worth of points to get a single week in Maui, yet I could rent my Aruba week for a similar price that it would cost to rent a week in Maui, so if I opted for the rental route rather than the point route it would be basically a wash while with DC points my cost would be double- not a good deal for me, at least).

That said, there are a few other intangibles that I think warrant consideration and will ultimately be the reason I join:
-Will being in the club ensure that I am not left out in the cold in the future, for whatever changes Marriott may- or may not- elect? Will Marriott potentially internalize all Marriott trades, whether week to week or with points? Will enrolled members using weeks down the road get faster trades than unenrolled legacy members due to some Marriott-II relationship?

-Resale weeks prior to June 20, 2010 have an opportunity to be grandfathered into basically full membership status (with the possible exception as to whether they can equally convert to reward points, which there is some uncertainty over the frequency [discussed above]}. While not an investment in the traditional sense of the word, many of us have substantial sums of money "invested" in our resale weeks, and ensuring future benefits makes sense from both a personal sense of usage and to protect our "investments." Will Marriott close the doors to such resale weeks in the future, and will unenrolled weeks enjoy diminished benefits?

-Premiere and Premiere Plus status owners enjoy an added discount when renting on Marriott.com and enrolled owners can rent points from other owners even if never converting their weeks to points. This can be very useful as family dynamics change and you want an additional unit for family or for friends. Using this for a single week can offset the cost of joining, and I know I am likely to use this option.

I also think that where one owns, even for single week ownerships, enters into the equation, because clearly there were some winners and some losers, relatively speaking, in the point allocations. There are some resorts where owners receive more points relative to what the unit could reasonably rent for, and thus they would be better off converting to points, and others where the market rate rentals are relatively considerably more than the point allocations, and for those properties renting their week and renting from others (or even from Marriott.com using the owner discount) would be more cost effective. Thus, while a single week Aruba owner, for example, would be better off trading in weeks or renting, a single ski week owner, Maui owner, HH, Ocean Pointe, etc., owner might benefit from trading in points. So it is not just the number of weeks, but where you own that warrants consideration.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Great Thread!

I don't know what to do... I am not currently enrolled but am considering it.
Does the DC cover II trade fees?

Here is my situation:

- Resale: Desert Springs Villas II, 2 bedroom, lock off
- DC points:2150
- II Membership: I own another property, non-Marriott so I have to pay II membership anyways
-Usage: always trade with II, lock off annually.
- 1 Lock Off Fee annually
- 2 II Trade Fees annually

It doesn't look like using the DC points will benefit me at all.
I usually trade my lock off for something high end, Maui, Kauai, NCV, etc.

I am not familiar with MR since I am resale, but joining DC now would give me access to MR. Is it worth it to join for MR and saving on lock off and trade fees?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Last edited: