• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Beware Of The Mayan Palace. Beware Of Their Time Share Scam!!!

Reaction score
Today`s Date: April 24, 2012.
I returned to Canada on April 21st, 2012 from my Vacation in Mexico.
I made the purchase of this time share on April 15th, 2012.
I Contacted the Mayan Palace on April 23rd, 2012 to Rescind-Cancel my Timeshare.

BEWARE OF THE MAYAN PALACE or THE MAYAN RESORTS GROUP

I am currently in disputes with the Mayan Palace in order to cancel my Timeshare that I purchased while I was staying there and after going into one of their sales presentations. I purchase the time share on the 15th of April 2012 and after reviewing the contact once I got back to Canada, I noticed that everything they mentioned to me in the sales presentation was a lie and not stipulated in the actual contract. These Sales people will tell you whatever you need to hear for them to sell you their worthless timeshare units. When I contacted them to rescind-cancel my agreement, they were very aggressive on the phone and claimed that I cannot cancel as I have passed my 5 business day limit for cancellation (even though I called on the 6th business day) and claimed that I was now liable for the full amount and that cancellation was out of the question, even though we just bought the time share and have not even used it as yet. I asked if they had a cancellation policy considering that we have not even used the time share, all we did was leave a down payment and they claimed that not only will I not get back my down payment (almost $4000.00 usd) but I would have to commit and pay for the entire agreement. I am contenting this all the way and will not quit! I can`t believe the people who are in on this can even sleep at night soundly. And after doing some research online I noticed that there are hundreds of people that have been ripped off by the Mayan Palace and the Mayan Group, many of them senior citizens or Immigrants who paid way more than they should have and often these people do not have the energy or know how to get help or the money for recourse. That is who they try to target. Their sales staff is all about the high pressure sales tactics and if that was not bad enough or if that can`t convince a potential buyer or `sucker`, they will just flat out lie to you!

After reviewing my contract I noticed that our Sales Representatives (Veronique was the sales representative and Jeff her Supervisor) had completely Lied to us and Misinformed us about what we were buying. I cannot believe that everything we were told turns out to be NOT TRUE.
After going over my contract with my son and doing extensive research on the internet, I am horrified to find out all of this negative information about the Mayan Palace and the Mayan Group in general. It has also come to my knowledge that the Mayan Group in particular has been known to use deceptive sales practices, by misinforming and out right lying to their potential members in order for them to buy time shares, the same way that Veronique and Jeff had lied to my wife and I.

THE SCAM:

We were told if we purchased 3 units, that the Mayan Palace would rent out our two units for the three weeks each resulting in an annual income of $5400.00 per year. They even said that" you can consider this a guaranteed annual income". The break down as they explained was that they would guarantee 100% that they would rent out the two units for $2700.00 usd each to their paying guests (each studio unit for $1000.00 usd for the 3 weeks and each 1 bedroom suite for $1700.00usd for 3 weeks) The repeatedly told us that not only was this a great idea for vacationing but also a great investment opportunity and that we would clearly see our return on investment within 5 years. They also claimed that most owners upgrade after 5 years because they have already made their investment back from the income that they get, when the Mayan Palace rents out your units. After speaking with a few other disgruntled members of the Mayan Palace, I learned that they do not rent out your rooms. In fact they offer no guarantee at all to rent out your rooms. They just tell you that they guarantee it in their sales presentation but when it comes to sign the contract (after reviewing my contract) I noticed everything that they had mentioned to me about the timeshare was not stipulated in writing. That means these guys will tell you anything you need to hear but their promises are not in the contract. Matter of fact the contact often totally contradicts everything we were told in the sales presentations.

Veronique and Jeff also said that due to the high demand of the Mayan Palace, each week that we purchased at the Mayan Palace, when traded with an exchange company such as CGI and SFX (these were the ones they specifically mentioned), etc. we would in return receive two weeks guaranteed. They also said using these exchange companies we would be able to travel the world including high demand locations such as New York, Paris, London Tokyo with no problem and no additional charges. Again they lied to us completely. Conveniently they did not mention anything about additional cost when dealing with CGI, SFX and other exchange companies. They mentioned nothing to us about any membership fees or exchange fees. They clearly told us that all we had to do was pay for the usage fee of $465.00 usd per week if we were to exchange, ( the same amount that we would pay if we claimed our weeks at the Mayan Palace, usage fee: $465.00 usd per week) and nothing else.

Veronique and Jeff also claimed that through our membership we would have discounted rates (50% off) on major sporting events around the world as long as they were Major League Sporting events. They even used example such as NFL Football, FIFA Soccer, and any Major Cricket or Rugby Leagues. Again this is a lie and totally false. Veronique and Jeff also promised that our membership would get us special discount (up to 50% off) on cruise ships and air fare through certain airlines. Again this was a lie and totally false.

My son was in Mexico also about two weeks before I visited and he also attended the sales presentation (on the date of March 30th, 2012) at the Mayan Palace. He spoke with a Sales representative or Supervisor named Kate, a Brazilian woman, who also promised him the exact same things. He was told how this was not only a timeshare for vacationing purposes but also an investment opportunity. He was also told that the Mayan Palace would rent out two units for him resulting in an income of $5400.00 in total for his two full units and he could keep one of the units for himself and should he want to travel to different destination points, then again he would receive double the weeks when trading in his Mayan Palace weeks through companies such as CGI and SFX. Even then they failed to mention the addition membership and exchange costs. Fortunately my son does not have the money to buy such timeshares so he did not make any purchase however he did take the presentation and he recalls everything that they said and clearly they lied to him exactly the way Veronique and Jeff had lied to me.

You can checkout other websites such as this one and or Google search for `Mayan Palace` or Mayan Palace Timeshare Scam and you will read several horror stories similar to this one if not worse. The Mayan Palace is listed in the top 3 of timeshare scams on timesharescam.com.
I will not stop disputing this agreement. If anyone else has had similar problems please feel free to post a reply. Thank you.

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please read your membership agreement ASAP and look up the Rescind clause and follow it exactly to the letter. It need to be sent by registered mail to mexico but I would also call to get fax number and fax them if you are still within the rescind period. Not sure if it is 7 days or longer. The registered postmark needs to be before the rescind backout timeframe.

I am sorry to say that you should have done some research and resisted their high pressured sales pitch. Mayan resorts/SFX are offering free studios at the Grand Mayan to SFX members depositing a prime week and there have been some livingsocial type deals for stays there with 200$ resort credit. If they can rent weeks for $1800 per week why should they work with those trip deals where they only get a fraction of the so called value?

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check the contract to see if it is 7 calendar day or 5 business days. It is not enough to call them the rescind clause in the agreement detailed what you need to exactly.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
The pregnant question is why did you wait until you got home and recission period expired to read contract?

There are tons of posts here and various approaches people have tried.

Read through them and take your choice.:wall:

Lying Developer time share scammers and resale scammers are one of bigger frauds from Mexico to USA to England!

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind now

If you are within the 5 day rescission period, please cancel now.

The promises of $5400 in income is a pipe dream, it will not happen. Think about it for a moment, if they could rent these for $5400 a year, why would they sell them?

I have never sold retail timeshare, and from the tours I have taken they all stretch the truth.

Please have them cancel now, if they are just beyond the 5 days, please have them contact

customerservice@mayanpalace.com

and explain the lies that the sales staff used to induce them to purchase and ask to cancel your purchase.
Best of luck,
Greg

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG! We will become friends. We have been warning people about the sales tactics of Grupo Vidanta for years. You are not the first. Everyone likes their resorts- hates their sales practices.

It is entirely probable that you will be held to the contract that you signed. We have seen some occasions where people have enlisted Profeco, the Mexican Government Office of Consumer Affairs. More often, though it takes people like you spreading factual, yet unflattering commentary about Grupo Vidanta's sales practices all over the Web. They monitor this site and Timeshare Forums, and many other places. If you had a nice video or audio recording of your sales presentation to post on Youtube, it would go far. In fact if you had one of those pieces of paper they did with all the circles and arrows and bug numbers to show fraud, you could dodge the bullet. But you don't, 'cause they kept 'em.

The alternative is to stick around TUG. Learn to use the timeshare you bought. Many, many TUG members awoke to find themselves in the same exact circumstances as you find yourselves in. They learned to use the TSs they bought to best advantage. Or how to rent those weeks to offset some of the MFs. It's unlikely you can rent them for more than the MF, because there are just too many rentals. And face the facts. If Mayan could rent the weeks for more than they get from you, why wouldn't they do it and eliminate the middleman- you?

We wish you well, and hope you prevail, but unfortunately, few do.

Read the Mexico Forum and learn. You saw value in the TS when you bought. Now find it.

Jim Ricks

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Ravindra&Panna,

Even though you are past the rescind period, I would send an email here explaining your situation and why you feel lied to and cheated - and do it in a civil way.

grupomayanblog@grupovidanta.com

These are staffed by some Member Services people (not related to the sales department) that are focused on cleaning up the messes caused by the sales sharks. They have helped a number of people even after the rescission period. Give them a chance to help.

Good Luck; I hope it all works out for you; If you stay an owner, I hope you can learn to enjoy the good parts.

Mike

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
You can also contact Profeco, the Mexican Consumer Protection agency, here.

Tropical lady

Reaction score
contact with Karen Rose

In a December post, "Karen Rose" listed 3 ways to obtain assistance with a complaint. Use the blog address listed here, use the customer service mayan palace address listed here, or use customerservice@grupovidanta.com.
I would guess that using the name "Karen Rose" in the subject, triages emails to a complaint resolution area of customer service since these addresses are used for coordinating transportation, reservations, and general questions as well.
Several posts have acknowledged timely complaint resolution from this area. Grupo Vidanta has made it known that they read forums and provide an avenue for resolution. Negative is that they have to do this with legitimate contract complaints, but the positive is that they do make themselves available and publicize the contact info.
If contracts are read before the recission period, member services, the legal entity, are very good to work with for solution to issues.
Hope this info helps......

Reaction score
We Reached a Settlement

First off I would like to thank everyone who replied to our post. Because of your advise and the information we read on this website, we were able to contact the member services of the Mayan Group who I must say have been very friendly and cooperative.

I have been in contact with the billing department of the Mayan Palace and the Member Services department of Vidanta. A gentleman named Christian had contacted me a week ago in regards to our dispute. He was very nice and understanding of our situation and we were able to come to an amicable resolution and settlement. I'm glad that Christian helped us out with our situation. I would like to retract my earlier post. Thank you.

Reaction score
We Reached a Settlement

Again, I would like to retract my original posting.

We have been in contact with the customer service of the Mayan Group and I have to say they have been very pleasant and helpful. After Speaking with Christian, we also spoke with a gentleman named Carlos who understood our troubles and was very polite. We were able to come to an amicable settlement. It's unfortunate that all of this occurred however I'm glad that we were able to work this out with Christian and Carlos with the Mayan Group. And to be totally honest, the reason we bought the timeshare impulsively in the first place is because we really enjoyed our stay at the Mayan Palace Resort. It is a great place and after speaking with a few timeshare owners, most have told us that the Mayan Resorts are probably the best in Mexico. Again I would like to state that I am retracting my original posting, and I'm glad to report that we were able to work out an amicable settlement with the Mayan Group.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Thanks for letting us know and I'm glad you could work out an agreeable settlement with them.

amos

Reaction score
:mad: Sadly my husband and I were also duped. I would like to know if you have had any success. I am embarassed to say our deposit was for much more.It just occurred on Dec 07,2012. we too called to rescind but 7 days had past. I am still trying to work something out.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
:mad: Sadly my husband and I were also duped. I would like to know if you have had any success. I am embarassed to say our deposit was for much more.It just occurred on Dec 07,2012. we too called to rescind but 7 days had past. I am still trying to work something out.

Have you contacted GM customer service to voice your complaint?

If not, that is what you should do. contact here: Grupomayanblog@grupovidanta.com

Explain your situation and ask for assistance; no guarantees but worth a shot. They hold the cards, so don't be antagonistic.

Mike

Victor mc

Reaction score
Good Customer service @ GM

Me and my family just stayed at the GM Nuevo Vallarta, excellent resort, my sister asked me to join the timeshare plan because she's enjoying it, we went for a presentation and I had a great deal of it. But after a few days a I was hesitating of the commitment I got due to current financial situation.

I called them back to cancel, I explained reason and within 10 days I have my money back

Thanks GM staff, and I will definitively consider it in the future

Victor

BC Bum

Reaction score
I wonder if they realize they would probably sell more units if they dealt squarely with people. Do they have to be sleazeballs?

I bought MP in 1998 and it has been nothing but great vacations and memories and wonderful friends made. Its a shame they feel they have to sell this way.

CharlesB12

Reaction score
I just want to begin with saying that my loving wife and I exchanged RCI points for a trip to Mayan Palace Riviera this past April. We get there and find the place is stunning and the service is top notch. First day there we commit to the 1.5 hour sales pitch during what they call “buyers week”. Well, in the end it was 5 hours and a majority of the presentation was focused on how these units are investments and that they give you “flexibility” in an extra week to use as a rental. The rental income was presented at $1700 net income after maintenance fees were taken out. We bought into the idea….it sounded great. Upon returning home I researched renting these units and found that they rent for far less than they stated repeatedly in the presentation. I have obtained training material that Mayan employees use explaining in detail how they leverage this with vacationers, then skim over the disclaimer sentence that is listed in the mounds of documents. This fraud has to stop. I would not have entered into this agreement if they had been truthful about this. They describe the rental agencies as partners verbally and that you get your rental check quickly in 60-90 days, which is not true. They used scratch paper to show you the money you would make renting these units and how fast they would pay for themselves, which was untrue. There was no mention of any cancellation period during the presentation, so by the time we arrived home and called to cancel our agreement….we were told it was past the 5 days. I have called and talked with a number of people. To date they have been unwilling to cancel and refund our credit card. A complaint has been filed with the Mexican Government, Profeco and FTC. If you go to any Mayan Palace timeshare resort, PLEASE do not get caught it the misleading sales pitch!!! Just enjoy the resort....

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
CharlesB, You're preaching to the choir here. We've been shouting this message from the rooftops to anyone who'll listen. We are deeply sorry that you didn't do your due diligence before you signed and that you waited until after the rescission period to discover the sad truth.

Yup, Mayan/Vidanta are not honorable people and lie and obfuscate to do what they do. They are clever to play on your 'soft spot'- whether it be give your kids great memories to 'it's a great investment'. Don't you think that if they could make all that money renting them, they'd build units as fast as they could and rent them themselves? I know- if you think about it, you wonder how you could have been duped.

Now- you are not the only one that had this happen to them. I suspect that close to a majority of TUGgers bought at least their first TS from a developer and found themselves unable to rescind. Some even bought more developer weeks and some- at Mayan like the resorts so much that they upgrade through the various levels.

The best advice we can offer is to study at the 'college of TUG'. Learn to use what you bought. It is not an in vestment- as you figured out, but they are definitely top-shelf resorts.

Welcome to TUG. Now get studying, and if you feel like doing any exchanging, I'd suggest joining TUG ($15/yr) to give you access to reviews to thousands of resorts worldwide. It's entirely optional, but most of us feel that it's the best bargain in timesharing.

Jim

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim:

Very well put!

Unfortunately like Nigerian trunk with $10 million, secret investments paying guaranteed 20%, winning a lottery one did not enter, Brooklyn Bridge, etc. scammers are a fact of life.

Hopefully, one does not get burned too bad while acquiring degree of experience.

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Brother in law bought his first time share for $24k. He told me this a week after the rescind period was up. They went on their second TS vacation at the Mayan. Once again, they drank the cool aid. This time they told me this 5 days after the rescind period. They were very excited and pleased with this purchase.
They are honest people and unfortunately believe everyone is trustworthy like them. They sincerely believe that the Mayan will sell their first TS they bought for the original purchase price (which goes for a few hundred on ebay). The cherry on the cake is that the mayan/Vidanta will find a renters for their extra weeks which will give them an annual income. .
I didn’t have the heart to bust their bubble! Nobody likes a know it all, 22 years as a top producing financial planner has taught me to keep my advice to myself until asked. Some day they will come knocking and I will send them to TUG as I have in the past! Very unfortunate!