• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI fee for adding an extra authorized person

Coach Boon

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seacrest Surf and Racquet ClubHilton Head
Hi All,

Has anyone ever run across the request by RCI that to add an extra authorized person to their system? To add me onto the file, they wanted to charge me $150.00 for 5 years!! :mad:

I do our exchanges but the RCI registration is in my wife's name. So I wanted to speak to a rep. She told me since I wasn't an authorized representative that she could work with me. I get that - it's a security thing. When ever I run into this situation, my wife speaks to them et voila, I'm now authorised - for FREE! I can't believe they want to charge me to do this.

From a customer service point of view, this is bad policy. Anybody else run into this problem?

Coach boon

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I was told that if the deeds were in my name only, I couldn't add my DH to my account. If I changed all my deeds and submitted the documentation, he could be added. Truthfully he has nothing to do with the TS so it is easier to keep him out of it. Occasionally we need to drive seperately to a stay and if he arrives first it would be nice to not have to worry about the resort letting him check in. So far no one has denied him a key when he says he is my husband and lives at the same address (even we have different last names.)

What annoys me is that when agents call from RCI or II (II calls way more often), they always want to talk to Mr or Mrs ____. Doesn't seem to bother them at that point that my husband is not on the account. They have no problem giving out account info or upcoming exchanges as long as there is a potential to get a credit card.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you just got the wrong rep - I would try again and have your wife explain that you are not unauthorized, you are married.

I always have the same problem with other businesses on the phone. I pay ALL the bills, make ALL the travel arrangements..... Verizon won't speak to me, DishTV won't speak to me, Sharp Propane won't speak to me... My husband doesnt even KNOW his own passwords - I made them all up:)

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I always have the same problem with other businesses on the phone. I pay ALL the bills, make ALL the travel arrangements..... Verizon won't speak to me, DishTV won't speak to me, Sharp Propane won't speak to me... My husband doesnt even KNOW his own passwords - I made them all up:)

Sounds like our house, dh says if he ever endorses a check he's going to be in trouble - the bank won't recognise his signature. He too chooses to know nothing....if I die he's going to be in a world of hurt.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like our house, dh says if he ever endorses a check he's going to be in trouble - the bank won't recognise his signature. He too chooses to know nothing....if I die he's going to be in a world of hurt.

and add to that - he cant answer ANY of the security questions, because since I do all the online info - they have my answers not his. He tried to do something online for DISHTV and got his mother's maiden name wrong - I used MY mother's maiden name:)

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too thought that the deeds had to be in both names for both to be on the RCI account. One thing you can do is to draft a "power of attorney" for all issues related to RCI business, including but not limited to billing, payments, searches, exchanges, and deposits. Send them a copy and have them file it and notate the POA in the file. They can't charge you a dime for that and they have no choice but to abide by the legal powers thus appointed.

I'm sure you could find and complete such a POA with any number of computerized estate planning documents kits.

jlwquilter

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do all the RCI stuff (and most of the bills, etc.). I called on the Points account once, which I had put in DH's name only (we are both on the deed however). When the rep asked who she was speaking with, I simply used my DH's name. A masculine name. The rep paused and stammered a second and I interjected "I get that alot". And she was 'no, no, it's fine! Ah, what can I help you with?" and the rest was history. I could of course answer all the password and info stuff as needed.

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do all the RCI stuff (and most of the bills, etc.). I called on the Points account once, which I had put in DH's name only (we are both on the deed however). When the rep asked who she was speaking with, I simply used my DH's name. A masculine name. The rep paused and stammered a second and I interjected "I get that alot". And she was 'no, no, it's fine! Ah, what can I help you with?" and the rest was history. I could of course answer all the password and info stuff as needed.

I thought I was the only one who did this. The poor rep's don't know how to respond because they didn't want to insult me and I knew all the passwords, secret questions, etc. I don't do it alot because it is a pain, but have done it.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score

I thought I was the only one who did this. The poor rep's don't know how to respond because they didn't want to insult me and I knew all the passwords, secret questions, etc. I don't do it alot because it is a pain, but have done it.

You two are hilarious. I don't think I could hold myself together while the rep was squirming in his seat.

Silverxuan

Reaction score
Love it!!

The most daring I ever got was having my boss (he's cool) act as my husband on the phone with the bank to get them to talk with me.

It was about this one loan that's just in my husband's name. But I'm the one who's the "financial manager" of the family, so I'm the one who keeps track of EVERYTHING.

My husband was off on a long driving trip so he wasn't available to call in giving me authorization to speak with the bank. There we were sitting in my boss's office, with me telling him the answers to all the security questions, while both of us were trying hard not to laugh out loud! :hysterical:

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwquilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS8260456

I love this! I'll be trying it next time I have this problem - :rofl::hysterical:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I believe that the fee also covers guest certificates in that name for 5 years.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, both names only need to be on the FIRST deed. when yo add other resorts, RCI will verify the ownership with the other resort, but doesn't have to see the actual deed.

I know this because we had an issue with one of our resorts - we purchased our third week at the same resort as our second week, but the accounts were not originally merged because they were deeded differently. The first was only in his name, the most recent in both our names. Once the weeks were deposited into our account, RCI didn't care.

The space bank operated like any other bank in that respect. It doesn't matter whose money it is, once it is deposited. It can only be accessed by the account owners.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
My husband, like others mentioned above, couldn't even tell you what resorts we own, let alone how to manage them and our RCI Weeks, RCI Points, and II accounts. I tell him the dates to mark off on his calendar and tell him enough about where we're going so he knows what sort of clothes to pack.

He is also like that in our family affairs and it recently came back to haunt him. He needed to renew his commercial drivers license (that he never uses, but who knows when he might want to). He couldn't provide any mail to the local DMV to prove he lived in Tennessee. After much discussion, they told him he could bring his wife to vouch for him as long as we brought the marriage license. First trip on one of my rare days off, they added the requirement to see bills in MY name. Came home and got the bills and he got his license. The irony is, they never ask me to show any kind of ID. He could have taken any female along with the paperwork and been fine. :hysterical:

Sheila

Coach Boon

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seacrest Surf and Racquet ClubHilton Head
Too funny but...

I love the impersonation thing. Too funny. :hysterical: I'll make sure to use it one day for a hoot.

But... here's my point aside from the deed thing and maybe I'm missing something here, why should RCI which is purely an exchange company charge me to be registered so that I can talk to them, make changes to reservations etc... If anyone who is authorized and allows their designate to have access to their account there shouldn't be any costs involved whatsoever. That's what I disagree with.