• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How does this scam work?

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I've seen the answer, but I couldn't find it. I'm offering a rental week.
I typically get offers like this, with the "certified check from my employer overseas." But this guy seemed a little different in that I had email correspondence with him that went back and forth over a short time span.
How does the scam on these work?
As for the
cost, we are alright with it.I will like
you to know that my wife's employer will be the
one responsible for all our vacation expenses as a wedding gift and
they have promised to send you a certified check as soon as you have
penned down this date for us.Please get back to me with the
following details....

1.Your full name to be on the check
2.Full Address to mail the payment to
3.Home and Cell phone number

So that the payment can be mailed out to you soon. I will be waiting to
read from you asap.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
The check is from an overseas bank, so your bank takes forever to figure out if it'll clear, by the time the find out the check is invalid....they have already checked out and gone

OR

The check is from an overseas bank, they 'Accidentally' send you more then the room costs, asking you to refund the overpayment...you send them money, by the time your bank finds out the check is invalid....they are gone

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I know I've seen the answer, but I couldn't find it. I'm offering a rental week.
I typically get offers like this, with the "certified check from my employer overseas." But this guy seemed a little different in that I had email correspondence with him that went back and forth over a short time span.
How does the scam on these work?
As for the
cost, we are alright with it.I will like
you to know that my wife's employer will be the
one responsible for all our vacation expenses as a wedding gift and
they have promised to send you a certified check as soon as you have
penned down this date for us.Please get back to me with the
following details....

1.Your full name to be on the check
2.Full Address to mail the payment to
3.Home and Cell phone number

So that the payment can be mailed out to you soon. I will be waiting to
read from you asap.

Even if it takes your bank six months to figure out the check was bogus, they reserve the right to DEBIT your account for the full amount of the check.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
The check is from an overseas bank, so your bank takes forever to figure out if it'll clear, by the time the find out the check is invalid....they have already checked out and gone

OR

The check is from an overseas bank, they 'Accidentally' send you more then the room costs, asking you to refund the overpayment...you send them money, by the time your bank finds out the check is invalid....they are gone

The scam is the refund, (via Western Union) they could care less about the underlying week/merchandise

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/12/checkoverpayment.shtm

The fact that people are still asking gives hopes to the scammers

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
They may even try to sweeten the pot by sending a cashier's check for far more than the amount. Frame it. It's worthless. Don't even bother making a reservation for the 'wedding gift' vacation- they have no intention of using it anyway.

Jim

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The kicker to me is... this guy negotiated the price down.
Oh well.

Are they saying the check is from overseas? If not, take the check directly to the bank that it is written from and cash it.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are they saying the check is from overseas? If not, take the check directly to the bank that it is written from and cash it.

Ugh... I included the exact wording for what he sent. He didn't mention the overseas part... but that doesn't mean it's not from there.
The formality of the wording seems contrived.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
They may even try to sweeten the pot by sending a cashier's check for far more than the amount. Frame it. It's worthless. Don't even bother making a reservation for the 'wedding gift' vacation- they have no intention of using it anyway.

Jim

That is the scam - A Fake CASHIERS CHECKS for more than the reuqested amount, once refunded the original will turn out to be bogus.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I sell alot of items on Craigs List ranging from $1 to several hunded dollars. I've gotten many scam letters and they are usually easy to recognize.

The only thing this response has in common with the obvious ones is some of the wording.

"As for the cost, we are alright with it." I've never had anyone ask for a lower price then use this approach.

"I will like you to know" instead of "I would like you to know brings up images of Peggy in the TV credit card ads.

They are not offereing to send more than you ask, yet. That could come later.

On the surface this leans towards the legitimate side.

If it were me I would talk to my banker, who I've gotten to know over the years, and ask her how to get funds transfered electronically into your account without the other part seeing your account number. When I bought my boat I had to do this in person so his bank gave him the info I needed then I added my info and I faxed it to my bank.

My rule of thumb is that if it doesn't sound quite right I pass on the deal. My Craigs List ads always say "cash only" and I don't deal with checks. That may not work in your case.

Once an electronic transaction is deposited into your account it is your money.