Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Resort Regions > Mexico

Mexico Discussion of Mexican Timeshare Resorts and activities/tips for vacations in Mexico!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old June 2, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1
member-tx

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 2, 12
Global Golf Connections, anybody has used them? [Mayan Palace]

I bought a Grand Mayan ( Mayan Palace) week and they suggested to rent my week using Global Golf Connections and other companies.

I would like to know if somebody has used these companies and if they really rent the weeks after you pay the membership

Thank you,

R
member-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2012, 03:52 PM   #2
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Starwood-WKORV, SDO, & SVR, Roark Vacation Club, Kingsbury Crossing, Edinburg Residence, 7 x Kauai Beach Villas
This is a common ploy used by timeshare sales people - The sales people lure people into buying by telling them they can rent their extra weeks for big bucks - it's just not true.

Travel to Mexico is depressed, and there is a glut of Mexican timeshare rentals on the market. Right here on TUG, we have rentals in our classifieds for $1 at nice Mexican resorts.

This "rental company" will take your money, list your timeshare for far more than it will ever rent for, and that will be the last you ever hear from them. They have no intention of renting your TS - they make their money from the upfront fee.

If you are still within the rescission period, you should definitely rescind, because you can literally buy timeshares in Mexico for $1.

If you feel like you were defrauded, you may be able to get out of this deal, even if you are past the rescission period, which is 5 days in Mexico. Profeco is a legitimate government consumer agency that helps consumers. They aren't fast, and you will have to be VERY persistent with them, but they can help.

Here is a brochure from Profeco, the Mexican consumer protection agency.

We also know that people that complain loud and long on the TUG Mexico Forum are often contacted by Mayan Palace and offered a resolution, because the company doesn't like the bad publicity, so I am going to more your post there. You will want to respond to this post and explain exactly how you were mislead by Mayan Palace to have the desired effect.

Good luck!

my webpage

Last edited by DeniseM; June 2, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
DeniseM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2012, 07:24 PM   #3
aliikai2

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05
Exclamation The sad truth is that there is no High Dollar Rental market

for most timeshares, and even the great Mexican resorts are included.
The MP units do rent, we routinely rent Grand Mayan and Mayan Palace weeks. The don't get those Sales Weasels prices however. If you just bought, you will be hard pressed to rent for your annual fees plus costs for ads, Paypal, etc, as they fees are much higher for the newer contracts.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by member-tx View Post
I bought a Grand Mayan ( Mayan Palace) week and they suggested to rent my week using Global Golf Connections and other companies.

I would like to know if somebody has used these companies and if they really rent the weeks after you pay the membership

Thank you,

R
Old June 4, 2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Jose.GonzalezTS

BBS Reg. Date: Dec 9, 10
global golf connection

I have checked the website and seems like it was made by a sales representative from Mayan Palace. It shows in detail the "logics" of why they need your week for rental.
In their website they claim the are short around 4,000 weeks for rental purposes on the second semester of 2012. If they are so short in weeks, Why would they still need you to pay an upfront fee in order to rent them?

Do yourself a favor and donīt pay any money to these people. Use MP; the resorts are beautiful.

Never pay upfront to sell, rent, donate or cancel your timeshare.
Jose.GonzalezTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2012, 11:17 PM   #5
MuranoJo
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose.GonzalezTS View Post
I have checked the website and seems like it was made by a sales representative from Mayan Palace. It shows in detail the "logics" of why they need your week for rental.
In their website they claim the are short around 4,000 weeks for rental purposes on the second semester of 2012. If they are so short in weeks, Why would they still need you to pay an upfront fee in order to rent them?

Do yourself a favor and donīt pay any money to these people. Use MP; the resorts are beautiful.
Now that's a good one. Building a website to substantiate sales' claims that there's a huge demand for rentals.

I'm a MP owner, and as Greg said, they do rent. I have holiday weeks so I get a very nice return typically. However, good advice to just use them--outside the sales sharks, the resorts and people are wonderful.
MuranoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2012, 03:05 PM   #6
mexican traveler

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 12, 12
Thumbs down Mayan Palace/Grand Luxxe

Beware of the timeshare presentations at this resort. After saying no several times during the 4 hour presentation, we were presented with the investment aspects and rental income this resort would generate. Our "rep" actually wrote down on the explanation sheet for us that it would rent for $1,600 net maintenance fees. Upon returning to the states of course we found this to not be true in any way, shape or form. They materially and intentionally misrepresented the facts to generate a sale. I'm sure if I needed a kidney he would have promised me one.
Any help out there?
mexican traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2012, 05:28 PM   #7
pjrose

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 28, 05

Resorts: Royal Caribbean, Royal Islander
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican traveler View Post
Beware of the timeshare presentations at this resort. After saying no several times during the 4 hour presentation, we were presented with the investment aspects and rental income this resort would generate. Our "rep" actually wrote down on the explanation sheet for us that it would rent for $1,600 net maintenance fees. Upon returning to the states of course we found this to not be true in any way, shape or form. They materially and intentionally misrepresented the facts to generate a sale. I'm sure if I needed a kidney he would have promised me one.
Any help out there?
Yes, there is help. You have come to the right place.

Nothing counts but what is written in the contract. The rest is as you know misrepresentation. Although if you have that notation about $1,600 in writing, it may help your case.

Did you actually buy? Rescind immediately, if you are in the five day window, and do it exactly as spelled out in the contract.

Even if not, contact customerservice@mayanpalace.com with all the details.

If you used a credit card, file a dispute with the credit card company.

Search this forum for "grupo mayan", "mayan palace", "karen rose" (a customer service person or pseudonym), and "rescind" and you'll find many people in the same situation - some of whom did get refunds or cancellations or satisfactory resolutions.

If you are well beyond the recission period, then contact Profeco, the Mexican agency that helps with fraud; search this forum for Profeco information.

Others will undoubtedly chime in with similar and additional suggestions.

And please, don't just hit and run - come back and let us know what you're doing, how it's going, what's working, and the eventual result.

Last edited by pjrose; July 12, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
pjrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Tropical lady

BBS Reg. Date: May 29, 10

Resorts: Grand Luxxe, Mexico
Post some info for you....

For the best results email Karen Rose at grupomayanblog@grupovidanta.com as this should be a designated customer service area for contract issues after the sale.
What did you purchase...Grand Mayan or Mayan Palace? You mentioned a Grand Mayan (Mayan Palace) week, but these are two different levels.
Just some info for you....it states in your contract that your membership is for the use and enjoyment, not for rental, investment. or resale. Also under member acknowledgments that you will sign the contract only after you have read and understood. As you start the rescinding of the contract you need to be aware of these contract statements you signed and decide how to acknowledge these when they may be brought forward in your case.
Just some thoughts for you as you go forward.......
Tropical lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2012, 08:55 AM   #9
mexican traveler

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 12, 12
Grand Luxxe

We "Purchased" a Grand Luxxe. I haven't heard from custome service at the web site provided. Interesting how this company can admit to these tactics and stay in business. I have filed with Visa. Hopefully, they pay attention to how many people have problems with this comany.
mexican traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2012, 09:09 AM   #10
Karen G

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 17, 04

Resorts: Pueblo Bonito Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican traveler View Post
I have filed with Visa. Hopefully, they pay attention to how many people have problems with this comany.
You still need to deal with the contract you have with Grupo Mayan/Vidante, and keep trying to get a resolution with their customer service dept. You also have nothing to lose by filing a complaint with Profeco as mentioned in posts #2 & #7. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Karen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2012, 07:39 AM   #11
Tropical lady

Question you need more info.....

Mexican Traveler,
My post was info for member-tx, but still applies to your situation.
Usually you get a response within 72 hours, but I would use the name Karen Rose as this may be a section of customer service assigned to contract issues. Did you try to rescind? It reads that you bought for rental only and not your use?
As I mentioned before, the use of sales, rentals, etc, are in the contract. While renting out is not something we would be interested in doing, I have talked with other members who do rent for similar prices, but on their own and not through any company. Go onto Aimfair (GL owners and others) and look at the rental offers. Do they get these prices? You might want to join the forum and discuss with GL members. Hope this helps.....

Last edited by Tropical lady; July 24, 2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: added sentence
Old October 22, 2012, 03:49 AM   #12
TT TX

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 22, 12
Grand Luxxe Residence Club Riviera Maya

We signed a contract this afternoon for the purchase of what we thought was 4 weeks at the Grand Luxxe Residence Club Riviera Maya. After reading the blogs on this site I feel sick!

They agreed to buy back our 4 existing time shares through Equity Acquisition Services Inc. The total they have agreed to pay for these is a little of $55,000

In addition to the 'equity' from our existing timeshares we are paying them another $85K + for the new ownership. The contract states 2 Registered' weeks but the contract is then broken into 4 weeks for 100 years and an additional 2 weeks for 10 years.

The sale guys assured us that we would have a 5 year agreement to rent back the 4 main weeks for $4,200 per week; $16,800 total per year. The rentals will be through Global Golf Connections who we are to contact immediately on our return home, who will send an additional contract for the rental of these 4 weeks, and will pay us $16,800 in January of each year.

The remaining 2 weeks will cost us $1,499 to use, at the current rates (This is essentially maintenance)

After the initial 5 year period we can decide if to use or rent the 4 main weeks.

I paid a deposit of $20K+ with my American Express card.

Having read the blogs here I fear that we have been completely scammed and need help urgently to pull out of this deal! Any suggestions and recommendations please?

We are here until Saturday so we need to act quickly. ..... I'm feeling more sick as I write!

Help please ....
TT TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2012, 03:58 AM   #13
ilene13
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Nov 1, 08

Resorts: 3 platinum wks Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club 1 platinum wk Marriott's Surfwatch, 2 wks The Royal Sands, 1 wk Royal Hac
Go to the sales office ASAP and rescind immediately. You have 5 days from date of purchase. Do not do anything else today until you rescind!
ilene13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2012, 04:10 AM   #14
TT TX

Thanks Ilene13, sounds like good advice! I can't see anything in the documents about cancellation, rescinding or cancellation fees - any ideas?
Old October 22, 2012, 07:21 AM   #15
mikenk
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 17, 08

Resorts: Grand Luxxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT TX View Post
Thanks Ilene13, sounds like good advice! I can't see anything in the documents about cancellation, rescinding or cancellation fees - any ideas?
In the contract somewhere will be a statement that you have 5 days to rescind.

Take everything and go to Member Services - not to the sales department and say you want to rescind. They will be in a different building - used to be downstairs close to the main restaurant - but haven't been there in a while so not sure,

I love the resorts but all of the guaranteed rental stuff is BS - won't be in the contract.

Good Luck,
Mike

Last edited by mikenk; October 22, 2012 at 07:26 AM.
mikenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2012, 08:01 AM   #16
TT TX

Leaving for the Service Center now - I'll report back later!
Old October 22, 2012, 11:06 AM   #17
TT TX

Smile

The guys in Member Services were very courteous, and our concerns were satisfactorily resolved!

Last edited by TT TX; October 22, 2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Curious should have read courteous!
Old October 22, 2012, 12:12 PM   #18
pacodemountainside

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jan 11, 08

Resorts: Wyndham VIP 315K, AVP Floating Week
Quote:
The guys in Member Services were very curious, and our concerns were satisfactorily resolved!

I am just curious what they put in WRITING and had signed by authorized executive.

Per your original post rental contract can't be done until you return home and rescission period expired.

"The sale guys assured us that we would have a 5 year agreement to rent back the 4 main weeks for $4,200 per week; $16,800 total per year. The rentals will be through Global Golf Connections who we are to contact immediately on our return home, who will send an additional contract for the rental of these 4 weeks, and will pay us $16,800 in January of each year."

$4,200 net rent to you for super deluxe unit and prime week is hard to visualize or document in rentals I have seen.

I would spend a few bucks and have local attorney review!
Old October 22, 2012, 02:24 PM   #19
TT TX

AsI said before, all is good now. Thanks Paco
Old October 22, 2012, 06:35 PM   #20
pacodemountainside

TUG Member

Quote:
AsI said before, all is good now. Thanks Paco
The beauty of this form is sharing. Virtually daily concerned people post and ask for advice from experienced people here.

It is so frustrating never to get a meaningful response on how their problem played out and pass along good info for future reference. Of course, if one is sworn to secrecy or signs confidentially agreement end of line.

But as Karen and PJROSE posted, share what worked for you. Did they void contract?
Old October 22, 2012, 07:35 PM   #21
ilene13
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Nov 1, 08

Resorts: 3 platinum wks Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club 1 platinum wk Marriott's Surfwatch, 2 wks The Royal Sands, 1 wk Royal Hac
Quote:
The guys in Member Services were very courteous, and our concerns were satisfactorily resolved!
Unless you rescinded, I would not believe anything that they told you!
ilene13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2012, 07:37 PM   #22
Tropical lady

Smile A good outcome....congrats!!!!

Paco,
So glad it worked out for you. If others are not familiar with the system they advise going to sales and recind. As advised you did not not, but went to member services. If you are satisfied, that is fine. That for anyone is the bottom line....you got your concerns resolved and we should be happy for you. At least you came back and posted the outcome unlike others who post and never let us know what happened. Best wishes.....
Old October 22, 2012, 07:56 PM   #23
pacodemountainside

TUG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical lady View Post
Paco,
So glad it worked out for you. If others are not familiar with the system they advise going to sales and recind. As advised you did not not, but went to member services. If you are satisfied, that is fine. That for anyone is the bottom line....you got your concerns resolved and we should be happy for you. At least you came back and posted the outcome unlike others who post and never let us know what happened. Best wishes.....
Have I had too many Margaritas and not enough chips and salsa?
Old October 22, 2012, 08:34 PM   #24
mikenk
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 17, 08

Resorts: Grand Luxxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilene13 View Post
Unless you rescinded, I would not believe anything that they told you!
Actually, having much experience in the Grand Mayan system, what is in the contract is honored. You do not have to rescind; you just have to make sure what was told and what you are acceptable with is in the signed contract and addenda.

From his (or her) comments, I believe the OP is fully aware of that fact and worked out an acceptable deal. A few years back, I spent several half days negotiating what I wanted. Member Services (not the idiot sales people) will negotiate in good faith.

I don't share with anyone what I negotiated; its nobody's business, Besides, if I got a deal better than others, than they would feel bad; if they got a better deal, I would feel bad. lose-lose situation.

The important point is TT-Tex learned from us and resolved the issue.

Mike
mikenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2012, 11:04 AM   #25
Tropical lady

Red face oops!

Paco,
Just realized I replied to TT-TX and addressed you. I apparantly did not have enough Margaritas!

Mike is correct about our system....any questions, problems, or wanting to rescind goes to member services and not sales. Whether the outcome was a rescind or further negotiation, the report posted is a satisfied outcome and I understand not sharing details.