• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where to Start???

apples1996

Reaction score
I a brand new to this board and only discovered it 3 days AFTER I purchased a Shell Vacation Club. I purchased 7000 points if the USA WEST which they offered me 7000 bonus points for the first year. I happened to stumble on a resale place storefront while walking in KONA, HI the next day. They offered me the same points (without the bonus points) for less then half the price. I know I want California resorts in my "homebase" but washed sure if I am making a good tradeoff. SVC sold me this one for 19,667. I am sure many of us get caught up in the moment. Before I even found the resale office I had sent my rescind letter the morning following the day I signed the contract. Now I a wanting to know if the $8000 is a good deal. The maintenance fees will be about 1400 a year which includes the other little fee that is added. I would love to have the opportunity to stay in Florida as well as my daughter is a competitive cheerleader which has us going to Orlando and Destin in alternating years.

Please take it easy in me as I am new. Please don't respond privately as I would like for others to hear your feedback as well.

Thanks for your time,
Sharon

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Sharon - You were right to rescind your purchase from the developer. Even the purchase from the storefront reseller seems highly priced, to me.

To get an idea of the going prices for Shell points, go to the marketplace on this website and run an advanced search on ebay for completed auctions that match what you are looking for. That will give you an idea of what the going rate is.

Found this current listing on ebay.

Welcome to TUG!

elaine

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Storefront resellers are selling other peoples weeks. If the price is too high, make a (much) lower offer. The owner can either take it or refuse or counter. The first timeshare I bought was through a local timeshare broker and I offered half of what the seller listed it for and he took my offer.

eBay is the bargain basement of timeshare. If you cannot find a week to buy there, then look at completed sales and reference those in your offer to the broker.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Elaine. Unless I did it wrong I didn't see any of the Marketplace forum.

Look to the right on the red line right at the top of the page and click on ''Marketplace'' on that line.

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just in case you could not find it, I am posting a link to a great deal from the marketplace here on TUG. It looks very similar to what you are looking for.

LINK

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I a brand new to this board and only discovered it 3 days AFTER I purchased a Shell Vacation Club... I would love to have the opportunity to stay in Florida as well as my daughter is a competitive cheerleader which has us going to Orlando and Destin in alternating years. ...
There are some happy Shell owners on these boards, but if you decide to buy Shell, I'm sure you can find something for way, way less than $8000-- like maybe free.

Also, Shell has rather high annual fees. You can trade into Orlando and Destin using cheaper weeks; you don't need a high-end resort system like Shell just to get Orlando and Destin trades.

I suggest spending some time reading these boards before buying anything. There are a lot of nice timeshares being given away here on the Bargain Board and the Bargains area of the classifieds. You may be able to find something good for $0 to $500 here. Just be aware that the annual fees are the real cost -- within a few years, they will total far more than the purchase price.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
I would love to have the opportunity to stay in Florida as well as my daughter is a competitive cheerleader which has us going to Orlando and Destin in alternating years.

You may want to buy Destin and trade into Orlando when you need to. Then again you may just want to rent when you need to... it's cheap and you don't accept the ongoing liability of annual maintenance fees.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Apples1996, TUG is just about the gentlest forum you'll find. The TUG Marketplace is up in the red stripe at the top of this page. You''ll find all kinds of timeshare stuff for sale/rent/swap.

But I would respectfully suggest that if you have the timeshare bug, you read through at least the stickies in the Newbies, and Buying, Selling, Renting forums. Then in the 'system' forums of 'mini systems' like Shell that capture your interest. You'll see that there are several minis, and all have a learning curve to need to work out to use them to your best advantage.

We suggest that the first timeshare someone buys be somewhere they want to go half or more of the time. A place you can drive to, because if your life situation changes, airfare is a large expense you can still vacay without.

Happy reading and shopping. The planning for vacations is the best thing about them.

Jim Ricks

apples1996

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for you wonderful adivce. I have sent the rescind paperwork three ways to make sure they recieve it. I have never dealt with rescinding before so I hope all goes well. I express mailed to the address on the rescind letter and sent a express copy to the resort where I had the sales pitch and faxed a copy to the fax number on the business card of the lady who did the paperwork with us (finance lady). When I texted my sales lady to let her know we were canceling and why she told me good luck with my inferior product. LOL

I know my husband is set on buying 4500-7500 Shell Vacation Club. He likes to have the "home" resort in the WEST for SVC. Does anyone have any opinions on this compared to other TS companies? I want good trading power for Destin for cheer competitions and vacations with myself and the girls when he doesn't want to go. I am a school teacher so I get more time off then he does and he reminds me of that often. LOL I told him he chose his profession just like I chose mine.

Thanks,
Sharon

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
and faxed a copy to the fax number on the business card of the lady who did the paperwork with us (finance lady). When I texted my sales lady to let her know we were canceling and why she told me good luck with my inferior product. LOL

to which you thank her for not selling you points that too would become an inferior product

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Look on Ebay, you should be able to find a contract or contracts that will meet your needs for less than the cost of going out for dinner.

I bought a total of 3 contracts totaling 7550 annual points in the Hawaii club for $35 all in, and 2012 MF paid, and the seller paying the transfer fee. You have to be careful on Ebay, read the listing completely and throughly to make sure you are bidding on WEST club points.

Good luck!