Timeshare Users Group Online Discussion Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home | Resorts & Reviews| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Online Discussion Forums > Timesharing > Buying, Selling, Renting

Buying, Selling, Renting Discuss all aspects of buying, selling and renting timeshares here. No advertising allowed!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
NEW! Add a 'Timeshare Vacation History' link to your posts! Learn How

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Member Banner Travels the World w/photos! Follow the Banner!

[No ad shown when registered users are logged in]

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old September 12, 2012, 05:22 PM   #1
aflores
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 27, 12
Elimination of Maintenance fees

Has anyone dealt with Resort Members Association from Orlando, Florida.
They claim they can eliminate your timeshare maintenance fees.
aflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2012, 05:28 PM   #2
jnrgault
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 20, 10
aflores asked: Has anyone dealt with Resort Members Association from Orlando, Florida.

That's my question too. If anybody reading this has info please include me too. Thanks

Last edited by jnrgault; September 12, 2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: to add original question
jnrgault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2012, 05:29 PM   #3
jnrgault
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 20, 10
By-the-way why am I listed as a guest? I think I am a member>
jnrgault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2012, 05:38 PM   #4
AwayWeGo
TUG Review Crew: Veteran

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Grandview At Las Vegas [triennial - points]
Paying Your Membership Dues Is Only The Beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnrgault View Post
By-the-way why am I listed as a guest? I think I am a member>
After you join up with TUG, you change your own status on the web site.

If you click around a bit, I'm sure you'll find some entries describing how to do that.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.
The Chief Of Staff since 1964.
Playing horn since 1955. Breathing air since 1942.
AwayWeGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2012, 06:15 PM   #5
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: Westin Ka'anapali, Sheraton Desert Oasis, Kingsbury Crossing, Edinburg Residence, Kauai Beach Villas x 7, Dolphin's Cove
They will eliminate your maintenance fees when you pay them several thousand dollars, to take your timeshare off your hands.

To display your membership, you need to go to your user profile and change your status to member. For all the details, click on BBS HELP and scroll to the very bottom of the page.

TUG TIPS:
*To edit errors in your title, click EDIT, then GO ADVANCED.
*You can contact posters directly, by clicking on their blue user name.
DeniseM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2012, 06:40 PM   #6
timeos2
Tug Review Crew: Rookie

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 11, 05

Resorts: Now Cypress Pointe w/Diamond Club,Cove@Yarmouth Former: RCI Points Rayburn Country, DVC/Wyndham - Wastegate gone gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflores View Post
Has anyone dealt with Resort Members Association from Orlando, Florida.
This is the usual ruse to get you to pay thousand for what nyou can do for little or nothing yourself. IF you decide to deal with them it will cost you plenty and in the end you may or may not be"out" of your ownership.

I wouldn't recommend even trying. Recycle the bogus "offer" (it only makes money for them) and if you really want to find a new owner use the marketplace here or the many other places that will find you a new owner for little or nothing from you.

This is a misleading name for a bogus "organization". Ignore it is the best advice. I posted a message about them a few months ago:

See it here
(and DON'T fall for this).

ADOPT A TIMESHARE!
BUY RESALE!

Proudly Microsoft & Apple free with WebOS, Droid Samsung S4 & Verizon Wireless - DW w/Chromebook

timeos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2012, 06:44 PM   #7
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: Westin Ka'anapali, Sheraton Desert Oasis, Kingsbury Crossing, Edinburg Residence, Kauai Beach Villas x 7, Dolphin's Cove
Here are some warnings signs with these kinds of companies:
1) Did you get an unsolicited sales call or mailing or email from them?

2) Do they say that they already have a renter/buyer for your timeshare? (Or an established market like people attending conventions.)

3) Do they claim that they can get your money back from another scammer?

4) Do they want you to pay hundreds/thousands of dollars for a title search, or transfer fees, or taxes, or a closing fee, or appraisal, or ANY large fee, UPFRONT?

5) Are they offering to rent/sell it for far more than the market value?

6) Do they want you to pay a large up front fee that supposedly you will get back?

7) Do they want your credit card number over the phone?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, then this is the usual scenario:
Once you pay the fee and receive the contract, you discover that the company has only promised to advertise your resort, not to rent/sell it, and they don't mention having a renter/buyer in the contract.

Then, you won't hear anything from them for a long time, and when you contact them, they will tell you that the renter/buyer backed out, but they will advertise your timeshare on their over-priced website.

Finally, when you try to get your money back, they will point out that you signed a contract, and it's only for advertising.

When you try to challenge it with your credit card company, they will tell you that you only had 60 days to dispute the charge, and that it's too late to do anything.
This is a bitter pill to swallow, but right now, most timeshares are selling for 0-20% of the original retail price. It's not a good time to sell a timeshare.

To see what your timeshare is really worth on the current resale market:
1) Register with ebay
2) Sign in
3) Search for your resort by exact name
4) From the menu on the left click "completed listings"
5) The next page will show you current selling prices

(Be sure you look at the completed listings - those are actually SELLING prices - you will find asking prices all over the place, but what really counts is what they actually sold for.)

TUG TIPS:
*To edit errors in your title, click EDIT, then GO ADVANCED.
*You can contact posters directly, by clicking on their blue user name.
DeniseM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2012, 09:36 PM   #8
dougp26364
TUG Member

There are a lot of companies looking to fleece people they consider suckers. Most people who buy a timeshare do so at the developers round table as an impulse buy. It's usually a bad buy because of how much it costs and the fact it's more complicated to use than booking a vacation on a website such as Orbitz, Travelocity or Expedia. Timeshare requires planning further in advance than what most people can or are willing to do.

Thus, people feel suckered. These outfits use the exact same tactics used when you purchased your timeshare from a developer. They tell you what you want to hear, get your money and, after that, they don't really care. Developers use the promise of great family vacations for a lifetime without going into all the details. Scammers use the promise to easily get you out of your MF's.

This is likely one of two scams.

1. Pay and upfront fee and they promise to transfer the title to their company. If they actually do this (some don't, they just take your money), they'll dump it on E-bay for $1 plus closing costs (they own the closing company, more profits. Anything they get from the sale is more profits) or they'll put it into some sort of trust or LLC that declares bankruptcy. Many timeshare HOA's have taken precautions against such tactitcs by refusing to transfer the ownership/membership to anything but an individual. Some evern require upfront MF's equal to a couple of years inadvance or cost prohibitive transfer fee's. In those cases, the only thing your out of is your money.

2. The travel club angle seems to be the next big thing. They tell you they'll take your timeshare and add it to their inventory. They'll charge you an upfront fee to belong to their travel club. Maybe you can get out, maybe not. It appears to me you're trading one set of problems for another but, I haven't really seen much about this angle. On the surface it looks like corporations that promote taking these timeshares for free and adding them to their rental pool. Perhaps they make a profit. More likely they go bankrupt. It could be their counter move to HOA's poison pills for the so called "viking ship" bankrupt LLC tactic.

There are two things that I'm almost certain of: They'll want money up and you're timeshare will have to be paid in full (no liens or loans). If either of those two items pop up in conversation, be very cautious because it's usually just a scame to seperate you from your money and still leave you holding the bag on your timeshare ownership. Just like when you first purchased you timeshare, it might look good on the surface but there's a dark underbelly that can get you in the end.
dougp26364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013, 03:08 AM   #9
Travel Dog

BBS Reg. Date: Jan 14, 13
I've been thru this many times.

Hello I have tried this a few time, companies that claimed to be able to get rid of my maintenance fees. The truth is most of them tried to scam me, I used to sell timeshares and I know most of the angles they tried to use, Like listing services to sell my timeshare. The truth is I still want to travel, I just don't want the bill.
What I found was a happy middle ground. I legally eliminated my timeshare and replaced it with a travel club so my annual bill is only $199.00 and I get something like 80% off the Internets best prices, so I was cool with that and the fact that I would have been paying at least another 20 years of maintenance before sticking my children with this ever growing maintenance fee. So I avoided paying out more then $20,000.00 dollars in fees and I spent about 6K for the travel club and the legal elimination processing which took about 74 days to come out of my name.
There are plenty of companies that do it, but I was referred to one called Vacation With Ease and was very happy with them, so happy I listed them here and even put their link in my profile.
Good luck to all of you who are trying to do something like this I am very happy now and I just stayed a week in the Wyndham resort for 48 per night in a 2 bedroom condo it was amazing.
Travel Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013, 03:20 AM   #10
T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: Diamond Resorts Poipu Raintree Vacation Club Winners Circle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Dog View Post
Hello I have tried this a few time, companies that claimed to be able to get rid of my maintenance fees. The truth is most of them tried to scam me, I used to sell timeshares and I know most of the angles they tried to use, Like listing services to sell my timeshare. The truth is I still want to travel, I just don't want the bill.
What I found was a happy middle ground. I legally eliminated my timeshare and replaced it with a travel club so my annual bill is only $199.00 and I get something like 80% off the Internets best prices, so I was cool with that and the fact that I would have been paying at least another 20 years of maintenance before sticking my children with this ever growing maintenance fee. So I avoided paying out more then $20,000.00 dollars in fees and I spent about 6K for the travel club and the legal elimination processing which took about 74 days to come out of my name.
There are plenty of companies that do it, but I was referred to one called Vacation With Ease and was very happy with them, so happy I listed them here and even put their link in my profile.
Good luck to all of you who are trying to do something like this I am very happy now and I just stayed a week in the Wyndham resort for 48 per night in a 2 bedroom condo it was amazing.
Shill alert!

“If at first you don't fricassee, then fry, fry again.
T_R_Oglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013, 07:41 AM   #11
theo

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Mar 21, 07

Resorts: 3 resorts, 7 weeks and NO MAS!
Thumbs down Pure Bull$&*t...

Quote:
.... I have tried this a few time, companies that claimed to be able to get rid of my maintenance fees. The truth is... <snipped babble>. Good luck to all of you who are trying to do something like this <...yeah, good luck indeed>...blah, blah blah.
Don't insult our intelligence; this is the wrong place to (very unconvincingly) peddle such utter nonsense.
Semi-literate shills like you come and go (...and they generally "go" very quickly indeed) all the time here.

To suggest that turning over $6,000 in cash to a completely unknown entity, in a futile effort to evade a (voluntarily adopted) contractual obligation is somewhat humorous, but also more than just a little insulting.

That being said, I do applaud your bravery in so very boldly stepping forward for a swift decapitation.

Last edited by theo; January 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013, 09:31 AM   #12
dougp26364
TUG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougp26364 View Post
There are a lot of companies looking to fleece people they consider suckers.
Quote:
And this is an example of another company trying to fleece people out of their money.
dougp26364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013, 10:01 AM   #13
timeos2
Tug Review Crew: Rookie

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 11, 05

Resorts: Now Cypress Pointe w/Diamond Club,Cove@Yarmouth Former: RCI Points Rayburn Country, DVC/Wyndham - Wastegate gone gone!
Quote:
All on board for a Turnip Truck fall!

ADOPT A TIMESHARE!
BUY RESALE!

Proudly Microsoft & Apple free with WebOS, Droid Samsung S4 & Verizon Wireless - DW w/Chromebook

timeos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013, 10:36 AM   #14
csxjohn

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 25, 12

Resorts: Tropic Shores, 2br X 2. Summer Bay, 3br L/O. Bluegreen Pts.
Peggy Alert!!

Quote:

Get off the couch and listen to a live local band tonight!
csxjohn is offline   Reply With Quote