• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just wondering?

lanemarie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sooo, I am wondering what percentage of timeshare owners know about Tug?

It seems like a lot of people I talk to have timeshares and when I mention Tug they have never heard of it. I found it about 8 months ago when researching a resale.

I have learned a great deal about TS and I am super grateful.

But, I keep wondering how well known is this website?:rofl:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id say the overall % is very small.

industry wouldnt remain as it is if the average owner knew =)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'd think it's probably quite a lot. There are some 40000+ registered members, last I'd heard. So at least that many know. Add in spouses and friends and former members, visitors and guests, and the number may easily be doubled or tripled. Add to that those folks who stumble across Tug from the Web, as I did, and that number is likely very much higher.

In my case, after returning from my first timeshare vacation, staying with my brother in his Mexico timeshare, I thought maybe I might like to know more about timesharing in general. I Googled a number of search terms, and Tug came back on most of the hits. I came to the Tug website, and have never left. Now, several timeshares bought and sold later, I still learn new stuff on Tug all the time.

Whether it's a majority of timeshare owners? Probably not. If you do the math of how many timeshares there are, multiplied by how many weeks each unit can be sold as, the numbers get pretty high pretty fast. Example: A timeshare with 100 units could have 5200 weeks owners.

And that doesn't count all the Points people.

Dave

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bid shares in their timeshare quiz says

"There are approximately 6.7 million timeshare owners worldwide, owning about 10.7 million timeshare weeks."

40,000 Tug members / 6,700,000 X 100 = 5.9 % 0.59%

Thank you COSkier

Last edited:

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
ARDA probably keeps statistics but would ball park as follows.

Interval has around 2 million members and RCI around 4 million. While there is some duplication this would be offset by people who belong to other exchange companies or none.

So, 6 million into 60,500 equals about 1%

No wonder the Developers and resale scammers have tons of potential victims who we try and educate.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont think its the percentage of timeshare owners that know about tug that is the important figure..

Owners that have purchased directly from the developers, for the most part, I think, already know not to buy anymore from the developer.

The more important number and the one that is of the most importance to the developers is the percentage of the general population that has money and or good credit, and that dont know about TUG...This is the low hanging fruit or uneducated buyer, that the developers pluck.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tell All

Sooo, I am wondering what percentage of timeshare owners know about Tug?

It seems like a lot of people I talk to have timeshares and when I mention Tug they have never heard of it. I found it about 8 months ago when researching a resale.

I have learned a great deal about TS and I am super grateful.

But, I keep wondering how well known is this website?:rofl:

I would think the percentage is rather low just from the communications my wife and I have had with fellow timesharers. Many times when we have gone to or left a presentation we have mentioned to people about not buying until they have been on Tug. We also have talked to lots of people in the pools and rec. areas about Tug.
One thing I've noticed is people act as if they are too busy to bother. We found this out with our niece and her husband (and yes they both have important jobs and make about 3 times what my wife and I earn). We talked to them about not going to or buying at any presentations and have told them about the Tug website many times. When we were with them in St. George they decided to go to a presentation and we talked to them again.
They know we own 4 timeshares and they still bought from the developer.
Can't figure people out.
Bart

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id gander that TUG has "reached" far more than just the tens of thousands that participate on the forums in the near 20 years of its existance....so the % is probably a good bit higher than less than 1%

that said, id be shocked if it was in the double digits overall for all current timeshare owners.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I have yet to find a TS owner at a resort I've been to that knew about Tug. Now, granted, I haven't talked to all that many but you'd think I'd find at least one.

I tried to talk to a lady going into a sales presentation in Williamsburg about units at that resort on eBay for $1. I was sitting at the resort supplied computers and she would not even look. She said "that can't be" and went into the meeting.

Go figure.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
They know we own 4 timeshares and they still bought from the developer.
Can't figure people out.
Bart

Two couples talking at the Westin Maui poolside, both having made their second developer purchase.

I traded in on 4000 Worldmark Points, Maintenance Fee $240 exchange $140 and membership 1/2 of $89

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I tried to talk to a lady going into a sales presentation in Williamsburg about units at that resort on eBay for $1. I was sitting at the resort supplied computers and she would not even look. She said "that can't be" and went into the meeting.

Go figure.

I think a lot of people don't accept what they can't understand. When I mention at my work that I own three timeshares, I get a lot of raised eyebrows, and comments like, "Gee, it must be nice being so rich!" When I try to explain that I buy all my timeshares on eBay for a dollar or two, they think I'm lying to them, to try and get off the hook about being "so rich." WhatEVER. After awhile I stopped trying to explain. :shrug:

But then again, these are the same people who ask, "So where are you going on vacation NOW?" And who give me a hard time about always traveling off to some fancy place. They say, "I wish I could go on the kind of vacations you do." I just smile at them, and quietly think, "You could, you stupid jerk. If you weren't so boneheaded." :)

Dave

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I think a lot of people don't accept what they can't understand. When I mention at my work that I own three timeshares, I get a lot of raised eyebrows, and comments like, "Gee, it must be nice being so rich!" When I try to explain that I buy all my timeshares on eBay for a dollar or two, they think I'm lying to them, to try and get off the hook about being "so rich." WhatEVER. After awhile I stopped trying to explain. :shrug:

But then again, these are the same people who ask, "So where are you going on vacation NOW?" And who give me a hard time about always traveling off to some fancy place. They say, "I wish I could go on the kind of vacations you do." I just smile at them, and quietly think, "You could, you stupid jerk. If you weren't so boneheaded." :)

Dave

I get this same response from my co-workers. :hysterical:

They just don't believe that I bought stuff for $1. :ignore: I don't own too many $1 TS's but I do have a few. I always offer to help others who already own a TS, usually in Orlando, but surprisingly they actually use that Orlando TS as their vacation. Go figure.:ponder:

I rarely use my Orlando TS's in Orlando. I get much better value using them elsewhere and trading in, but try explaining that to the skeptical who don't want to pay the $89 to RCI. :rolleyes: I've even tried to show them the free exchange companies but most people just don't want to be bothered. :wall:

I always seem to find someone in the hot tubs that wants to talk TS's and they almost always have never heard of TUG. :shrug: I've friended a few on Facebook and given them my screen name here and OY in case they finally decide to delve in, but I've yet to have anyone that I've met contact me.:confused:

I guess the "if it's too good to be true, it must not be true" mentality is so ingrained in our culture that even when they see you doing it, they still think you are holding back some vital information. Whateverrrrr. :p

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont think its the percentage of timeshare owners that know about tug that is the important figure..

Owners that have purchased directly from the developers, for the most part, I think, already know not to buy anymore from the developer.

The more important number and the one that is of the most importance to the developers is the percentage of the general population that has money and or good credit, and that dont know about TUG...This is the low hanging fruit or uneducated buyer, that the developers pluck.

Ron:

Yes, TUGGERS, BBB, consumer magazines, etc. only reach a minuscule fraction of potential victims. This is reason Sea-gull is finishing his mansion.

You might find it interesting to to WWW web site and read Main Man's pitches to security analysts.
He lays it out how his sales weasels skewer the naive.

He states there are about 8 million TS owners vs my ball park 6 million and rent share 6.7 million. Think he is using ARDA number.

Also points out there are 53 million red hot qualified prospects that should be TS owners. He egregiously omits how he calculated but that is a lot of warm bodies.

Lastly he states 68% of Wyndham owners upgrade which documents his parking pass body snatchers are doing a great job. Is consistent with his other statement that first time purchase is just 117K points.

Phcmom

Reaction score
I was one of those ....let's say naive...people! But luckily I found this group in time. I mailed my rescission letter yesterday. I will be joining in the discussions on this forum before making another purchase. And I do hope to make a more informed choice.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I get this same response from my co-workers. :hysterical:

They just don't believe that I bought stuff for $1. :ignore: I don't own too many $1 TS's but I do have a few. I always offer to help others who already own a TS, usually in Orlando, but surprisingly they actually use that Orlando TS as their vacation. Go figure.:ponder:

I rarely use my Orlando TS's in Orlando. I get much better value using them elsewhere and trading in, but try explaining that to the skeptical who don't want to pay the $89 to RCI. :rolleyes: I've even tried to show them the free exchange companies but most people just don't want to be bothered. :wall:

I always seem to find someone in the hot tubs that wants to talk TS's and they almost always have never heard of TUG. :shrug: I've friended a few on Facebook and given them my screen name here and OY in case they finally decide to delve in, but I've yet to have anyone that I've met contact me.:confused:

I guess the "if it's too good to be true, it must not be true" mentality is so ingrained in our culture that even when they see you doing it, they still think you are holding back some vital information. Whateverrrrr. :p

My feeling is that timesharing can be so complicated that people don't want another new thing to try to figure out.

That, and all the warnings people see about TSs being a rip off, they are predisposed to stay away.

I keep thinking that I don't want to own any longer and should just rent but last summer I wanted to travel on a specific week and wanted the Atlantic Ocean at my door. I could not find one with 3 exchange companies and all the exchange and rental ads here and on other sites.

So now I'm trying to find a unit that will fit that need.

Luvstotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
People flat-out believe that timeshares are a scam and a rip-off, in my experience. If they hear I got mine for $1, I know they secretly feel I've been ripped off somehow. They'll say things like, "you get what you pay for", and "no one would sell that cheap."

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
People flat-out believe that timeshares are a scam and a rip-off, in my experience. If they hear I got mine for $1, I know they secretly feel I've been ripped off somehow. They'll say things like, "you get what you pay for", and "no one would sell that cheap."

Taking it a slightly different direction, I rarely will admit in public that I own a resale timeshare.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you say you paid full price your stupid and got ripped off, if you try to explain the retail market, the disparity in unbelievable

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
My feeling is that timesharing can be so complicated that people don't want another new thing to try to figure out.

That, and all the warnings people see about TSs being a rip off, they are predisposed to stay away.

I keep thinking that I don't want to own any longer and should just rent but last summer I wanted to travel on a specific week and wanted the Atlantic Ocean at my door. I could not find one with 3 exchange companies and all the exchange and rental ads here and on other sites.

So now I'm trying to find a unit that will fit that need.

I guess you are right. With so much to worry about in real life only us seriously dysfunctional TS addicts are crazy enough to obsess over our vacations years in advance. :hysterical:

I have my whole year planned already for next year and my co-workers haven't even talked about where they are going next week let alone next year. :)

And funny that you are wanting Atlantic beachfront because that is exactly how I got into this TS mess in the first place. I wanted to guarantee my place in the sand in an oceanfront unit and set out to find one that was perfect on ebay and the rest is history. :cheer:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Its amazing how much people are willing to pay for a TS. One person I met in Mexico at the hot tubs was explaing why he thought he was going to buy a studio for over $15K. Just joking I said I could sell him a one bed unit for $xx. The next day we went to owners services desk and transfered the rtu to him. I think there was 18 years left.

Last Feb a guy at the pool was woo hooing about his recent purchase of a Monte Cristo Estate at Sunset Beach. He paid over 100K and was almost 70. It just makes you wonder.

Other times we mention Tug or Ebay and I guess when I tell the story its not as believable as my wife. She has helped a handfull of people, mostly young married couples, understand what was going on.

I would rather sell them one of mine if they really want to buy.

Bill

thylightguy

Reaction score
I have been a HGVC member for about 14 years now, and today I stumbled upon TUG and I am very computer/internet savy... I work online for crying out loud! I am not sure if it would be a good thing of more know about the forum to be honest... but I am glad I found it. Glad to be here.

phyllispsu

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluetree Resort
I own a timeshare and today is my first time on this forum.I'm a member of ii forum someone referred me here I've been looking at daelive for getaways have anyone personally purchased or used daelive getaways .My deposit is with ii but i might change to daelive but i need to get some feed back about them

Thanka