Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timesharing > Buying, Selling, Renting

Buying, Selling, Renting Discuss all aspects of buying, selling and renting timeshares here. No advertising allowed!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old February 7, 2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Timeshare prison

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 7, 13
Not paying Maintenance Fees

I would love to get out of the timeshare I have owned for 15+ years. It's with Raintree (used to be Club Regina when I purchased). I dug up my old regulations for the resort which states in Chapter IV, Article 4.4 "Non-payment of the Maintenance Fee during 2 (two) consecutive years shall imply rescission of the contract."
Does anyone have any familiarity with someone trying this? I remember some years ago asking the agent who sold it to me about how to get out of it and she said "Oh, just don't pay for 2 years". It is all paid for except for the maintenance fees of course. The current expiration (it seems that every time they make some kind of management change they increase this) is 2046. I will not live that long and really don't want to pay these fees until I die.
Thanks
Timeshare prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2013, 11:17 AM   #2
bogey21
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 8, 05

Resorts: Orofino at Straight Creek, CO
Call and ask if they would rather have it right now than wait until you don't pay for 2 years. They might say yes. Who knows unless you ask.

George
bogey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Passepartout

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 10, 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeshare prison View Post
I dug up my old regulations for the resort which states in Chapter IV, Article 4.4 "Non-payment of the Maintenance Fee during 2 (two) consecutive years shall imply rescission of the contract."
Boy, it sure would simplify things for all timeshare owners- AND the HOA's if ALL contract were written this way. Don't use or want it, just don't pay. The end.

I don't know how or if it would work with deeded properties, but for the points, or vacation club type, that would be the ticket.

Jim
Passepartout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2013, 08:21 PM   #4
dougp26364

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: DRI, Marriott Grand Chateau & Ocean Pointe, Grand Lodge on Peak 7, Spinnakers French Quarter, HGVC
Sounds to me as if you've been provided a way out. If they try to collect, send them a copy of that provision of the contract and state it's your intention to exercise your contractual right. If they try to ding your credit record, you can challenge the report and send the credit bureau a copy of the provision in the contract, showing you're recinding the contract rather than not paying a debt.

We made the mistake of joining a travel club several years back. Once we figured out we weren't going to use it, we just stopped paying the membership fee's. They kept trying to get us to pay for several years before giving up. It was never reported as a bad debt on our credit reports. The company finally went bankrupt (Travel More Now) but apparently had their contracts bought out. We were contacted by the "new" company about paying our membership fee's and turned them down flat. We haven't heard anything for a few years now. In the end, it was as simple as not paying out membership fee's.

Last edited by dougp26364; February 7, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
dougp26364 is offline   Reply With Quote