• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Experience with Pet Friendly Hotels?

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see what experience others have had staying in a Marriott Pet Friendly room? Good/bad/indifferent?

I was thinking about staying in a Pet Friendly room... but was wondering how much the pets have affected the overall condition of the rooms? Funny smells and stains in the room? Clean? :ignore:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have stayed in a dozen or so. Overall no difference from the standards of a "non-pet" hotel of the same name/type. If it has a tendency to be a lower level brand then the room reflected that. The higher quality names were higher quality rooms as expected but of course usually at higher prices.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never experienced a pet friendly Marriott that did not charge a pet fee. Most of the ones I have been to lately charge a flat fee of $100 regardless of the number of nights. The fee is non-refundable.

Aren't most Marriott hotels pet friendly? I have never noticed anything negative about the policy as far as quality goes.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that there is no substantial difference except the rooms are perhaps closer to exits so the four legged companions will have a shorter walk outside.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have never experienced a pet friendly Marriott that did not charge a pet fee. Most of the ones I have been to lately charge a flat fee of $100 regardless of the number of nights. The fee is non-refundable.

+1

So it only makes sense if you plan on visiting the same resort for a number of days. If you are traveling with your pet and are making your way across several states this is cost prohibive.

Then you will have look for a pet friendly resort that has no or lower fees.

We used to stay at the renaissance in DFW that had no fee, so sometimes more upscale hotels do allow pets. But in generaly the lower quality resorts do.

La Quinta comes to mind, but it is a hotel by hotel basis.

*wood used to everywhere, for a fee, but I have seem many hotels back off from that.

Best to check the websites for pet friendly, but call the hotel directly to check for fees.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ritz Carlton Palm Beach charges $175. I found their policy interesting. I love the Ritz and wouldn't expect to be charged any less.

Pet friendly policy: It is our intent to provide you with a wonderful and enjoyable stay, but also a safe one. For the comfort and security of all guests, four-legged family members (dogs and cats only), and our Ladies and Gentlemen, select rooms are available for occupancy with a pet. There is also a $175.00 (per room) nonrefundable pet deposit fee, plus applicable taxes, that will be billed to your guest room. A portion of the deposit fee will be donated to the Big Dog Ranch Rescue. Big Dog Ranch Rescue is a unique no-kill dog rescue situated on 28 acres in Wellington, Florida whose mission it is to provide shelter, care and affection to homeless and unwanted dogs of all breeds and to adopt them out to loving human companions.

Each dog or cat must weigh 25 lbs. or under and there is a two pet limit, per room occupied. For the safety and comfort of your pet, Housekeeping will enter your room only if: (a) your pet is not present or in a portable kennel (b) you are present and your pet is leashed or crated. Please contact the hotel directly for any further questions or special arrangements and we look forward to welcoming our very special guests to
The Ritz-Carlton, Palm Beach!

So maybe the pet fee is a tax deduction :)

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Phuket Beach Club seems to be pet friendly if you have a pet rat. LOL.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Wentworth by the Sea permits pets and has pet rooms on groun level with patios for fast exit. No entra charge. Love this place.

Generally, however, Marriott is still in the dark ages when it comes to pet friendly...only if you pay a fee. Starwood/Westin and lots of upscale boutique hotels have Marriott beat big time...most without extra fees and the even provide beds and treats for the pooches.

Brian

4Reliefnow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can we develope a list of Pet Friendly Timeshares?

I have been working on a list of pet friendly timeshare resorts. Posted some exchange wanteds to try to get in. I found that many resorts listed by II are not actually pet friendly. I also found that the Four Seasons in Scottsdale and Aviara will both allow one small dog, but, I think do not say this in resort description. I called the desk. I went to tour Rancho Mannana north of Phoenix and they are now a Diamond Resort. The weeks owners are not pet friendly, but, the residence club was allowing pets and it was gorgeous (A little remote, 1o miles north of Marriott Canyon Villas) Lots of weeks available at Rancho Mannana if you search for them.

Be sure to call and verify first.

Here is my list:
Interval Search
Code Timeshare w/ Pets Allowed City State Gold Crown Tug Rating 1/12
TPM Resort at Marina Residence Club Cape Coral FL Gold
JBS Jupiter Beach Resort & Spa Jupiter FL Silver 6.81
BON Vacation Village at Bonaventure Ft. Lauderdale FL Silver 8.06

SOV Sonoma Valley Inn Sonoma CA Silver
FSA Four Seasons - Aviara N of San DiegoCA Gold 9.7

SCT Four Seasons - Troon Scottsdale AZ Gold 9.59
GCN Villas of Gold Canyon (SE of PHX) Gold Canyon AZ Gold 7
TWD Tanglewood Vacation Villas Pottsboro TX Gold 7.67
Lake Tanoma N of Dallas
RCK Bell Rock Inn Sedona AZ Silver
KOH Kohl's Ranch (N of PHX 1 hr) Payson AZ Silver 7.5
Rancho Manana Cave Creek AZ
SUG Grand Crowne Resorts Branson MO Gold
BAY Bay Club Ocean City MD 5.56
RGY Rangeley Lake Resort (NW ME) Rangeley ME Gold
GPC Gold point Condo Breckenridge CO 7.41
RCI* Vacation Village Berkshires Hancock MA

RCI* Quarter House New Orleans

Westgate Painted Mountain Mesa AZ

WSM Westgate Smoky Mountain TN 7.47
WMY Westgate Myrtle Beach SC
WTG Westgate Town Center FL 7.81
RYS Westgate Lakes Resort FL
WTO westgate Towers FL
WGV Westgate Vacation Villas FL
WMB/NPR Westgate/Newport FL
Daily management resorts - see list

Vacation Village at Bonaventure FL
WPN/WLM Willimsburg Plantation VA

Pet Friendly Marriott Hotels
MWF Marriot Residence Inn at Muskoka Wharf - pet friendly
CQR/CHX Cranberry Private Residence Club

From Sell My timeshare now
II Erie Islands Resort & Marina Port Clinton OH near Toledo
II Grand Seas Resort Dayton Beach FL
Silverleaf resorts
oak N Spruce Western MA
Fox River Western IL
Apple Mountain Northern GA

SVC-Shell Vacation Club No Pet Friendly Resorts http://www.shellvacationsclub.com/index.jsp?$ctxid=_1331634827894

INTERVAL INTERNATIONAL affiliates
ID RESORT NAME State, Province or Country
SUG Grand Crowne Resorts MO
CGE Carriage Place at Surrey Vacation Resort MO
SVA Surrey Vacation Resort MO
STJ St. Johann im Pongau Austria
ALR Alpenland Sporthotel Austria
MAA Maria Alm Austria
LSP Signum Las Palmas FL
KOH ILX: Premier Vacation Club at Kohl's Ranch Lodge (Kennel provided) AZ
RCK ILX: Premier Vacation Club at Bell Rock Inn (Has pet units with dog runs) AZ
GCN Villas of Gold Canyon (Dogs are permitted to stay w/their owner in the rooms for a $75 weekly cleaning fee.) AZ
CGM Cabins at Green Mountain (Call for availability to Festiva Resorts Reservations) MO

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
TAS, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Resort is pet friendly but only if you are checking in on Saturday. It's an odd resort that has 3 separate HOA's. One HOA is all fixed week Saturday check-ins and pet friendly. The other two are all floating week Sunday check-ins. I own two pet friendly weeks. Sometimes PCC's mistakenly list floating weeks as having a pet friendly unit option in their ads. This is not true. They also sometimes list floating weeks as having a Saturday check-in ability. Also not true. At least it is easy to keep an exchange straight. If the check-in is Saturday you know it is a pet friendly unit.

Last edited:

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wentworth by the Sea permits pets and has pet rooms on groun level with patios for fast exit. No entra charge. Love this place.

Generally, however, Marriott is still in the dark ages when it comes to pet friendly...only if you pay a fee. Starwood/Westin and lots of upscale boutique hotels have Marriott beat big time...most without extra fees and the even provide beds and treats for the pooches.

Brian

I have a problem with many on pet policies ..where you ask if a weight limit ..and they are only for 25# dogs ... large dogs are often the gentle ones and little dogs are the barkers .... or at least my Golden says so .... many Four Seasons have too small a weight limit ...thank goodness FS Aviara is large dog friendly ...we should judge dogs by their behaviour NOT their weight.

I have to say ONLY GREAT things about Drury Hotels ...they have a new style called Plaza's ( North Phoenix - Indianapolis - Frankfort ( South Nashville ) - one of San Antionio's many ...just to name a few we have stayed at .... really nice ... and any room is a pet room

La Quinta has too great of a range in quality ...see Tripadvisor to ensure you are in a nice one.

Greg

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Park Plaza (in Park City, UT) says they are now pet friendly. Their website says:

"NEW! Park City - Now a Pet Friendly Resort
Park Plaza is pleased to welcome our VIP's (Very Important Pets). Dogs are welcome up to 25 pounds. All our furry guests receive a welcome pet amenity and upon special request we can place a bed, food and water bowls in your room. Currently we have designated a few of our one bedroom suites as pet friendly. Please email hello@parkplazaresort.com to make your inquiriy and reservation."

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I also don't understand a 25 lb limit. A dog is a dog. It's discrimination.

Brian

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also don't understand a 25 lb limit. A dog is a dog. It's discrimination.

Brian
I'm sure it's a liability thing. It's hard for a dog under 25 pounds to kill a person (or even another medium-sized pet.) It's much easier for a larger dog.

I understand the "punish the deed, not the breed" philosophy, but juries award damages when people or companies "should have known" that a dog might do something aggressive, not just when a dog had previously done something aggressive. (And even if a dog had previously been aggressive, how would a resort know about that?)