• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Random Stuff - WSJ, June '14 - Hill Folk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Delayed 7hr at SFO (AA to MIA - should listen to my own advice) - arrived 4am instead of 9pm - so much for not taking red-eye. Upside: plane was half-empty, pilots had petal to the metal, fastest landing ever! We were flying! Got Exit row. We hadn't back out from the gate - so they deplaned us quickly before getting new plane otherwise we would have been stuck on plane for hours.

Anyway... rental car was waiting at STT (4dr Wrangler XL) - Amalie has best vehicles. Unfortunately they sold their business, but assured me that new owners would keep their business model (new cars - sell after 1 year of use) - hopefully true.

Car barge worked great again - very little traffic to RedHook - $30 one way.

Everything pretty much the same up here on The Hill. Siding and Roofing looks great.

Pool and Patio been resurfaced, new BBQ area, ramp for wheelchairs - new lighting, and umbrella made for heavy weather. Waterfall re-tiled.

Landscaped - and foliage cutback. I hear that helps reduce mosquitoes.
Big tree next to our villa is gone - was great shade, now balcony exposed - improved view, but prefer the natural coverage. Not sure if it was cut - or came down during storm (maybe a bit of both). Oh well...

They put soft pads on the DR chairs - great solution for scraping of chairs against tile floors.

Everything is in order - a bit worn, but still liking the remodel for the most part. Of course - this is StJ afterall (shower curtain too short - drives Robin crazy.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Free Cycle was empty for the most part - I thought they were going to put in key reader?
We did score beach chairs in great condition - so that was nice (I don't even think these are sold on StJ) , but was pretty much all that was there. I still think it is a great idea, but just needs process improvement. IMO

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Dave, thanks for keeping us Hill folks updated. I was wondering this weekend when you will be on ST John:)
Where is the Free Cycle located? Sounds like s good idea.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the title of this thread, David. The "Hill Folks" at WSJ sure don't conjure up the same image as the "Hill Folks" in my neck of the Ozark woods! Thanks for the smile. ;)

Sorry your flight down took so long, but now that you're in St John - enjoy!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
A 7 hour delay? Yikes!

Glad you're in paradise! Enjoy your week.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to reading your report........11 months and counting for us.

We are going to rent on STT next May. Disappointed to read that the owners sold out. I was going heavy on your recommendation.

Bummer about the flight delays......The hazards of West Coast living.

Last edited:

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
I fly a lot. Our family had 74 flights in the past 2 1/2 months alone. I have never missed a flight, had my luggage missing, or been delayed any significant amount of time. 7 hours!!! WOW. It sounds like you are keeping your spirits which is easy to do when you know you are headed to paradise.

I also have found the Freecycle basically empty all three times that I have checked. A key card would help a lot IMO.

Have a great trip David. We are headed to Roatan later this week or we would have joined you in SJ. We are looking forward to our trip in SJ in November.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Not much of a trip report - I have taken some photos that I will post. Still checking out my new UW camera/video. Haven't seen much yet.

I think Robin is bringing the bad flight mojo - her previous flight was delayed 6 hours - ORD-SFO on UA. This time - the plane had a leak - I was willing to chance it... ;)
We had to wait for another plane to be sent from JFK.

Pretty low key here - very few people around.

Went to Owners Update - $125 for an hour - not much real news - caught up with happenings on StJ more than the resort as I kept changing the subject from improving our vacation experience by buying more TSs - no thanks - I am at my limit.

The new BBQs are sweet.

Was avoiding mosquitoes bites, but nope... Now have to spray.

Housekeeping took our precious king fitted sheet today - they got ink on it - Robin is not happy - but a least we retrieved it. The maid was very sorry - ink pen leaked. The island dialect can be hard to follow - took me awhile to figure out what she was trying to tell me.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
A 7 hour delay? Yikes!

Glad you're in paradise! Enjoy your week.

I think every single time we've connected through SFO, we've ended up with massive delays. Kinda nice to hear it's not just happening to us...

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry you and AA seem to have such bad luck. I've flown millions of miles with them over the last couple of decades and have never had any long delays that were their fault. Only weather, or the volcano in Europe closing the whole airspace for a couple of days. I guess now I'm going to get stranded during my current trip because I said that ...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Maybe the FreeCycle use peaks and wanes...

3 levels of Internet service - free and 2 pay levels (like $8/day and $16/day) - I am going with free - slow but works for me. Probably too slow to upload photo

Folks next to us are smoking like chimneys (inside and outside) - including cigars - sad...
and stinks... luckily they are short-timers.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
^^^ So, call management and complain. Salty

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Everything is in order - a bit worn, but still liking the remodel for the most part. Of course - this is StJ afterall (shower curtain too short - drives Robin crazy.

We are staying in one of the pool villas for the first time and were surprised at the poor construction quality and overall condition of the unit. We stayed in the 2br Hillside townhouse 2 years ago and thought it was marvelous. Are the pool villas coming up on their end-of-life?

For example:
* lots of cracked tiles
* a few ripped screens (makes it impossible to open the window or sliding door to get fresh air)
* lots of water damage with poor repair work (and accompanying musty/moldy smell)
* lots of rips, stains, and gouges in the furniture
* overall sloppiness of construction not related to wear (e.g. large gaps between granite backsplash and wall, new tiling over top of old tiling, filling tile gaps with mortar/grout rather than cutting a tile to fit, etc.)

Overall I'm not too impressed. Would be disappointed to be an owner of one of these units. Maybe its an anomaly?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Worst WSJ trip report ever... ;)

Sorry - nothing to add - I will have to wait to post photos.
Weather has been more cloudy than sunny.

Went sailing yesterday (Friday) on Survivan - got lucky with the weather and had a great sail - just the 4 of us. Snorkeled at St James and Lovango.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We are staying in one of the pool villas for the first time and were surprised at the poor construction quality and overall condition of the unit. We stayed in the 2br Hillside townhouse 2 years ago and thought it was marvelous. Are the pool villas coming up on their end-of-life?

For example:
* lots of cracked tiles
* a few ripped screens (makes it impossible to open the window or sliding door to get fresh air)
* lots of water damage with poor repair work (and accompanying musty/moldy smell)
* lots of rips, stains, and gouges in the furniture
* overall sloppiness of construction not related to wear (e.g. large gaps between granite backsplash and wall, new tiling over top of old tiling, filling tile gaps with mortar/grout rather than cutting a tile to fit, etc.)

Overall I'm not too impressed. Would be disappointed to be an owner of one of these units. Maybe its an anomaly?

When you read the reviews of the resort (hotel, actually), you read much of what you just wrote, which explains the rating of 3.4 out of 5 stars.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
When you read the reviews of the resort (hotel, actually), you read much of what you just wrote, which explains the rating of 3.4 out of 5 stars.

I guess I thought the timeshare villas would be in better shape considering they were recently remodeled with owner assessments. The construction quality of the remodel is pretty marginal.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score

It also explains why a decision has been made to rebuild and convert the hotel rooms to timeshares over time.

The Hyatt resort (as WSJ was previously known) was devastated in 1995 by Hurricane Marilyn and remained closed until 1997 when Westin/Starwood bought the property.

"A lawsuit filed in St. Thomas District court reportedly alleges Finland's Skopbank "plotted" against the Hyatt Corp. in removing Hyatt from managing the former Hyatt Regency hotel on St. John. The Virgin Islands daily News reports Hyatt is asking $100 million in damages, claiming Skopbank planned to "use" Hyatt to repair the property after Hurricane Marilyn and then get rid of the management company so Skopbank could sell the hotel "in good shape." Hyatt's attorney is quoted saying he expects the case may get consideration next year and that, in the meantime, Hyatt has no plans to regain its management of the resort. St. Croix consultant working on floating condos (5/6/97)"

http://www.caribtravelnews.com/c0597_01.htm

http://www.paramountlodging.com/sell/transactions/files/10049_hotel_advisory.html

Having the resort sitting closed and leisurely repaired for 2 years did nothing for the structural integrity of the buildings at WSJ. Plus, from time to time, other storms have damaged the buildings at WSJ. Salty

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Always fun to meet other Tuggers - we had drink and snacks with ferndale (Joy) and her family down at their 3Bd pool villa. Nice folks - they said the Scuba diving was great and made me miss diving. They had incredible video of a large octopus.

I didn't see any construction issues, but wasn't looking closely. Her DH mentioned an AC problem that was quickly fixed by Maintenance - but they didn't mention any other issues. I like the 3Bd pool villas, but think they should have tiled the main floor (like ours) instead of having it carpeted.

It seems more crowded this week - lots more 4WD parked outside our buildings. During last week we had the pool area by our building to ourselves much of the time. A neighbor was mentioning to me that yesterday evening a large group from the BV villas invaded our pool area - interesting... I hope this does not become a common occurrence as I do not think their MFs pay for VG pools.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Panoramic shot (a bit distorted) of pool area between B33/B34

null_zps7face09c.jpg

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Maho Bay is always great - turtles galore, big eagle ray, large barracuda, schools of squid hanging out - all sorts of fish - perfect weather - flat ocean - slight breeze - no mosquitoes

I have video and photos, but on UW camera - and no way to transfer until I get home.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Maho Bay is always great - turtles galore, big eagle ray, large barracuda, schools of squid hanging out - all sorts of fish - perfect weather - flat ocean - slight breeze - no mosquitoes

I have video and photos, but on UW camera - and no way to transfer until I get home.

You are such a teaser! :)
BTW, the pool looks nice.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Think we just had an earthquake - a few minutes ago...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You are such a teaser! :)
BTW, the pool looks nice.

I was trying the panorama function on iPhone 5

Btw - if you want to use a cell phone (w/o roaming... Ouch) - Verizon does not work - AT&T does
(That has to be a 1st) - only my phone works.