Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timeshare Resort Systems > Wyndham Resorts

Wyndham Resorts Discussion of Wyndham Timeshare Systems: Club Wyndham, Wyndham Asia Pacific, Shell Vacations, Equivest, Pahio, Trendwest & Cendent

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old July 15, 2013, 08:10 PM   #1
CSB
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Carriage Hills
Shell Vacation points vs weeks question

My cousin has gone to a timeshare presentation at our (we both own there) home resort of Carriage Hills. She agreed to convert her weeks to Shell points without buying additional property or increasing the number of points aside from what they offered her for the weeks.

While she still has time to back out I am asking on her behalf....

1) What are the difficulties one faces when using points over weeks.

2) Changing to points with Shell, now International Intervals(II) is the trading partner as opposed to RCI. In practice what are both the positive and negative differences in using either trading company?

This is good for me to know as well since I am still hanging on to my weeks.
Old July 15, 2013, 08:20 PM   #2
presley

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 20, 11

Resorts: HGVC, Shell, WM
1.) I read one case where the person who changed their Hawaii week to points did not have enough points to book that same week. I'm not sure why it worked out like that. They regretted switching to points.

2.) I'm new to Shell and II, but am very happy with the trading. There are a lot of different resorts that I would enjoy that my Shell points will trade into.
presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Bill4728

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: Club Intrawest, DRI-Monarch Grand Vacations, Mountainside Lodge, Marriott Newport Coast
We own three non shell weeks at a shell resort. The offer to convert our weeks to pts was terrible. Our MFs would go way up and the number of pts we would get would not allow us to make reservations on the best weeks in our current seasons, only on the average of the weeks in our seasons.

we turned them down flat.
Old July 20, 2013, 11:17 AM   #4
rickandcindy23

TUG Member

Resorts: Wyndham,RCI,Shell, WorldMark,OKW, SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Custom House;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP (lots)
Your cousin should rescind while she can. It doesn't matter how much she paid because the value cannot be worth the cost. Look at eBay for a clue on the value of the Shell product. I love Shell myself, but people who buy retails are not so enamored, apparently, because they are paying to get rid of their points.

I have not ever regretted for a moment my "purchase" of Shell on eBay: free usage, free closing and free transfer. All 12,225 points. I get six housekeepings per year, and I get almost every benefit of Shell that members get.

The fees are high, but the value matches the fees, in my opinion. I would own California Club or Hawaii Club because the fees are lower than the others, and I like the ability to book California resorts way ahead of everyone else. It's a wonderful system.

Trading through II has been awesome for us. We traded into a 2 bed Marriott over July 4th on Maui this year. We also traded into a Marriott's Kauai Beach Club 2 bedroom for next month, and a Westin Ka'anapali for 6/9/2013, too. I am extremely happy with the trading power in II. It's been better than I expected. I still wish Shell would go back to RCI and let us book DVC through RCI Points. It was a great benefit for us.

October: DisWld with grandkids
November:DisWld again
Late November: Disneyland
January: DisWld again
March: Maui
April: Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach
rickandcindy23 is offline   Reply With Quote