Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Resort Regions > US - Hawaii

US - Hawaii Discussion of Hawaii Timeshare Resorts and activities/tips for vacations in Hawaii!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old July 17, 2013, 09:08 AM   #1
ajlm33

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 24, 07

Resorts: Marriott - NCV, MSU, MLE & Welk Platinum Points
Welk Resorts now in Kauai

I received my July 2013 owner's newsletter from Welk Resorts this morning and they announced that they had just just purchased a property in Poipu, Kauai. It says:

"The property is located directly across the street from the
Kiahuna Shopping Village with local stores and restaurants
and sits adjacent to the Kiahuna Golf Course. It is also
walking distance from the beautiful Poipu Beach.

The new resort will consist of six plantation-style buildings
with 164 luxurious units, in a mix of one bedroom one
bathroom suites, large one bedroom one bathroom villas,
deluxe two bedroom two bathroom villas, and deluxe three
bedroom two bathroom villas..."

Does anyone know which development Welk bought out? This is very exciting news to me, along with the Welk recent announcement of expansion into Lake Tahoe area.

Thanks.
ajlm33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Beefnot

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 1, 11
From their March press release, it makes it sound like it is just land.

Quote:
Welk Resorts closed escrow in February of 2013 on 21.45 acres of land near Poipu Beach in Kauai. The new resort will consist of six plantation-style buildings with 164 luxurious units, in a mix of one- bedroom, one-bathroom suites, large one-bedroom, one-bathroom villas, deluxe two-bedroom, two-bathroom villas, and deluxe three-bedroom, two-bathroom villas each with a kitchen, living room, dining area, and balcony or patio. It will also house a Preview Center, lobby with an Owners Lounge, Movie Theater, game room, and state-of-the-art fitness center. Set in a tropical Hawaiian landscape, guest will enjoy unique features such as a white-sand beach pool entrance, waterslides, Jacuzzis, lava rock formations and water features throughout the resort. The property has an Archaeological Preserve that will serve as the anchor for the designs, celebrating Hawaiian culture, traditions and history. The resort will incorporate both historic and contemporary Hawaiian art.
If it's land, it will be awhile before the project would be completed. If it wasn't land and in fact it was an existing property, then maybe it's Kiahuna Plantation. I dunno.
Old July 17, 2013, 10:48 AM   #3
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Starwood-WKORV, SDO, & SVR, Roark Vacation Club, Kingsbury Crossing, 3 X Kauai Beach Villas, Edinburg Residence
According to Google Maps there are 3 properties across the street - but my guess it that it's the outrigger property:

my webpage
DeniseM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013, 12:56 PM   #4
slum808
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 31, 11

Resorts: DVC VGC, WorldMark
The link below is to the Kauai county tax map key. You can zoom in and see the land size and shape of each parcel on the map. If you're looking at the map in Denise's post, the parcel directly left of the shopping center matches the size (21.45 acres) listed in the press release. This is a vacant lot on the mountain side of the hwy. For size reference the Shopping center is listed at 4.485 acres

http://qpublic7.qpublic.net/qpmap4/m...hybrid&mapmode

Last edited by slum808; July 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
slum808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013, 01:52 PM   #5
mjm1
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 10, 08

Resorts: Marriott Desert Springs Villas I; Marriott Ko Olina; Marriott DC Trust Points; Welk Resorts Platinum Program; Westin Ki
My understanding is that they bought land and will develop the resort. Welk develops nice properties, so it will be interesting to see how this one turns out. It sounds like they already picked up an idea regarding a movie room/theatre from the Northstar property in Truckee they are acquriing from Hyatt. We stopped by there a couple weeks ago and were told they have a movie room there. It will be a nice feature to have a property in Poipu. Too bad it won't be on the ocean/beach, but it won't be too far away.

Welk has been expanding their Escondido Mountain Villas section as well. We will be there in a couple of weeks, so am looking forward to seeing the growth. Sales must be good.
mjm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013, 01:54 PM   #6
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: Starwood-WKORV, SDO, & SVR, Roark Vacation Club, Kingsbury Crossing, 3 X Kauai Beach Villas, Edinburg Residence
It is beyond comprehension that they are going to build a new resort - no one is building new resorts - really weird. I am surprised that they can get funding, with the number of struggling developments in the immediate area - but maybe that doesn't impact TS financing?

my webpage
Old July 17, 2013, 02:33 PM   #7
slum808
TUG Member

Hawaii is booming again. Hyatt is building TS on Maui, Marriott will start work this year on the 4th Ko Olina tower and Hilton recently finished King's Land phase II. Aulani phase III is also just about fully open with new pools opening in September. Condotels are also in the works with the Ritz Waikiki. Whole ownership condos seem to be announced every month with about 85% of sales completed in their opening weekend.

Don't know where the money is comming from, but things are being built.
Old July 17, 2013, 02:47 PM   #8
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

Kauai is not Maui or Oahu - in this immediate area there are a number of struggling developments. Welk is not DVC, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, or Ritz, and Kauai doesn't nearly have the demand that Oahu and Maui have. Westin is still struggling to sell the timeshare that they built on Kauai a number of years ago.

Thus: I would not be surprised if they took over an existing resort, but I am amazed by new construction.

Here is another issue - this property will not be on the water.

my webpage

Last edited by DeniseM; July 17, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old July 17, 2013, 08:45 PM   #9
BocaBoy
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 5, 09

Resorts: Maui Ocean Club (Lahaina/Napili)--2 weeks; Ko Olina Beach Club; Grand Chateau Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseM View Post
Which I think would be a major negative.
BocaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013, 08:49 PM   #10
DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: Swallowtail HHI, Foxrun NC, Villa del Mar PV
Well, Poipu area of Kauai is my #1 choice of Hawaii destinations. Maybe I'm not the only one who feels this way?

Deb
DebBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013, 09:33 PM   #11
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBrown View Post
Well, Poipu area of Kauai is my #1 choice of Hawaii destinations. Maybe I'm not the only one who feels this way?

Deb
But it's not ON the water...

my webpage
Old July 17, 2013, 09:38 PM   #12
DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: Swallowtail HHI, Foxrun NC, Villa del Mar PV
Quote:
But it's not ON the water...
Funny but that seems to be a common denominator in the Welk resorts, is it not?

Deb
DebBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013, 11:59 PM   #13
mjm1
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 10, 08

Resorts: Marriott Desert Springs Villas I; Marriott Ko Olina; Marriott DC Trust Points; Welk Resorts Platinum Program; Westin Ki
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBrown View Post
Funny but that seems to be a common denominator in the Welk resorts, is it not?

Deb
True except for the Sirena del Mar resort in Cabo. It sits on a cliff overlooking the ocean. You can walk down to a small relatively private beach. Not good for walking on the beach, but snorkling can be good. You get a nice view of the arch (about 3 miles away) from certain spots on the resort too. Very nice place, but it's not Hawaii.
mjm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2013, 02:51 AM   #14
PearlCity
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Dec 22, 09

Resorts: EOY MVC Canyon Villas, Worldmark, DVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by slum808 View Post
Hawaii is booming again. Hyatt is building TS on Maui, Marriott will start work this year on the 4th Ko Olina tower and Hilton recently finished King's Land phase II. Aulani phase III is also just about fully open with new pools opening in September. Condotels are also in the works with the Ritz Waikiki. Whole ownership condos seem to be announced every month with about 85% of sales completed in their opening weekend.

Don't know where the money is comming from, but things are being built.
A 4th mko tower? On which side I.wonder?
PearlCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2013, 03:28 AM   #15
slum808
TUG Member

Between the Naia tower and lagoon 4. They use it as employee parking right now. It should have the most direct ocean front views.
Old July 21, 2013, 03:09 PM   #16
rifleman69
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 23, 05

Resorts: Pahio Bali Hai (EOY)
Quote:
Kauai is not Maui or Oahu - in this immediate area there are a number of struggling developments. Welk is not DVC, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, or Ritz, and Kauai doesn't nearly have the demand that Oahu and Maui have. Westin is still struggling to sell the timeshare that they built on Kauai a number of years ago.

Thus: I would not be surprised if they took over an existing resort, but I am amazed by new construction.

In fairness, the Westin is quite a bit pricier than other timeshare resorts in Princeville. There's a reason why it's a Westin (and to be affiliated with the St Regis).
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2013, 03:56 PM   #17
T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: Diamond Resorts Poipu Raintree Vacation Club Winners Circle
Quote:
According to Google Maps there are 3 properties across the street - but my guess it that it's the outrigger property:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slum808 View Post
The link below is to the Kauai county tax map key. You can zoom in and see the land size and shape of each parcel on the map. If you're looking at the map in Denise's post, the parcel directly left of the shopping center matches the size (21.45 acres) listed in the press release. This is a vacant lot on the mountain side of the hwy. For size reference the Shopping center is listed at 4.485 acres

http://qpublic7.qpublic.net/qpmap4/m...hybrid&mapmode
Can't be any of Denise's suggestions. None of those are adjacent to Kiahuna Golf Course.

The 21.45 acre parcel mentioned fits the description to a tee. Right size. Across the road from the shopping center. Adjacent to the Golf Course.

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong. - GK Chesteron
T_R_Oglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013, 08:55 PM   #18
jimp1072

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 29, 07

Resorts: Marriott Desert Villas II, Cliffs Club, Club Intrawest, Lawai Beach Resort
Welk Kauai Location

The only parcel that is across the street from the shopping center AND is adjacent to the golf course is the one located on the northeast corner of Poipu Road & Kiahuna Plantation Dr. This is a good location because it is within easy walking distance to restaurants in the shopping center and the beach. However, as pointed out by Denise it is NOT on the ocean and does NOT have water views. These are two huge drawbacks for many vacationers. For vacationers like me, ocean views are paramount. That is one reason Lawai Beach Resort with their fabulous ocean views is a better solution for my family.

Paradise in Zihuatanejo
jimp1072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013, 11:27 AM   #19
dannybaker

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 17, 08

Resorts: 2 weeks MArriott Grande Vista Platinum 2 bdrm lock-off Lawrence Welk 2 Bedroom original Resort Villas on the Green 2 bd
From the Welk Web page

Welk Resorts closed escrow in February of 2013 on 21.45 acres of land near Poipu Beach in Kauai. The new resort will consist of six plantation-style buildings with 164 luxurious units, in a mix of one- bedroom, one-bathroom suites, large one-bedroom, one-bathroom villas, deluxe two-bedroom, two-bathroom villas, and deluxe three-bedroom, two-bathroom villas each with a kitchen, living room, dining area, and balcony or patio. It will also house a Preview Center, lobby with an Owners Lounge, Movie Theater, game room, and state-of-the-art fitness center. Set in a tropical Hawaiian landscape, guest will enjoy unique features such as a white-sand beach pool entrance, waterslides, Jacuzzis, lava rock formations and water features throughout the resort. The property has an Archaeological Preserve that will serve as the anchor for the designs, celebrating Hawaiian culture, traditions and history. The resort will incorporate both historic and contemporary Hawaiian art.

The property is located directly across the street from the Kiahuna Shopping Village with local stores and restaurants and sits adjacent to the Kiahuna Golf course. It is also walking distance from the beautiful Poipu Beach.
dannybaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013, 01:09 PM   #20
nazclk
TUG Member

Resorts: So Cal, Hawaii, Mexico
New Resorts

Here I am trying to give away units on Kona with no takers and Welk is building a brand new resort. Hawaii on the way back ?? don't know.
nazclk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013, 03:28 PM   #21
rickandcindy23

TUG Member

Resorts: Wyndham,RCI,Shell, WorldMark,OKW, SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Custom House;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP (lots)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazclk View Post
Here I am trying to give away units on Kona with no takers and Welk is building a brand new resort. Hawaii on the way back ?? don't know.
Yeah, I mean my 2 bed Pono Kai are at least ocean view, and if I call soon enough to get my weeks reserved, oceanfront. I cannot give those away, either.

But Welk will build beautiful units. Sometimes, that is all a person really wants or needs. Look at Bali Hai. Those are sold out by Wyndham. No view, and you can get an old unit with a shabby interior for an RCI exchange. I would rather take my chances at a Welk exchange than a Bali Hai exchange.

August: Hilton's Kohala Stes/ Kingsland
November:Disneyworld
December: Peacock Suites, Anaheim
January: Disneyworld
March: Maui
rickandcindy23 is offline   Reply With Quote