• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flash Flooding in Northern Colorado (Denver, Boulder, Estes Park)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We are getting hit with some heavy, sustained rains here in Northern Colorado, and that doesn't mix will with our narrow valleys and rivers! Here is what we are getting right now: link to story.

For those possibly headed our way in the next week or so, please check for road closures, etc. as I'm sure there is going to be plenty of clean-up happening this fall. I have heard (not confirmed) that a bridge on US 34 from Loveland to Estes Park has been washed out, so getting to Estes and Rocky Mountain National Park may require some alternative routes.

Estes Park itself is experiencing some heavy flooding -- not sure how the timeshares up there are situated. Just heard Loveland schools are closing early -- the Big Thompson river comes from Estes Park down a valley to Loveland, so they are expecting some dangerous flooding conditions.

Be careful if you are in the area!

Kurt

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Our daughter-in-law's usual route to work was washed out. She drives Dillon road and goes over Hwy 287 heading west. She stayed home from work after I called to warn her. The kids never watch the news.

Last edited:

cotraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
The local TV news reported that the Big Thompson Canyon road is closed. That's US-34 going up to Estes Park. From a Denver Channel 7 news story, "The Larimer County Sheriff has ordered mandatory evacuations of the Big Thompson River Corridor at 10:30 a.m." The video in the news story is from Broomfield, not the Big Thompson Canyon.

The WorldMark Estes Park resort is located right on the Big Thompson river and some of the units are pretty close to the riverbank. They had it sandbagged last year when spring flooding was a possibility. I haven't heard anything about the resort with regards to the recent rains.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Our daughter and SIL were staying at Loveland Cabins on the Big Thompson and were evacuated this morning (they were suppose to come home today). Their cabin's deck hung out over the Big Thompson and she posted photo's on FB from the day they arrived and again this morning.

The last I heard they were going to try going over Trailridge Rd down to Grand Lake and see if there was a way around back to I-70. I haven't heard if that route was closed as well so I'm assuming they're found a way around the flooding. Since we have their dogs I'm hoping they let us know if they'll make it home tonight or if we'll be keeping the dogs at least one more day.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just had a guy over at the house this morning who said his sister came back to Las Vegas early due to the heavy rain and flooding in N CO. :(

Be safe, flash floods can be killers...

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The last I heard they were going to try going over Trailridge Rd down to Grand Lake and see if there was a way around back to I-70. I haven't heard if that route was closed as well so I'm assuming they're found a way around the flooding. Since we have their dogs I'm hoping they let us know if they'll make it home tonight or if we'll be keeping the dogs at least one more day.

Just heard at work here that all roads in/out of Estes Park are closed. Both Hwy 34 (to Loveland) and Hwy 36 (to Lyons) were washed out.

Still raining here, and expected to keep raining through tomorrow. Lots of roads closed all over Northern Colorado. The pictures coming from Denver and Boulder look terrible. Lots of flooded parking lots, roads, houses, etc. This is going to be a mess for a while.

This sort of snuck up on us. We have been having some general rains around here, but once the ground gets super-saturated, then any additional rain start running off quickly. The water gets funneled into the canyons and then it is bad news. Our high-desert topography is not meant to handle this.

Kurt

cotraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
The following has been posted on the WorldMark web site:

"Estes Park, Col., is experiencing a high level of rainfall which is causing flooding. The WorldMark Estes Park resort is being closed due to the flooding, and arrivals will not be accepted until Monday, September 16."

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
The kids were between Estes Park and RMNP. They were able to get out by going over Trailridge Rd and through Grand Lake. They've made it thru Denver and should make it home tonight.

We're scheduled to head out for Breckenridge early Saturday morning. I'm hoping getting thru Denver won't be as bad as the kids said it was today.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Glad to hear your kids got out of Estes Park OK! They should count themselves as lucky.

This afternoon downtown Estes Park was under water. This is not looking good for them. Big Thompson canyon (between Estes Park and Loveland) is evacuated. We are still expecting more rain through tonight at least.

This is a link to a Facebook album with several videos taken today in and around Estes Park (click "next" for more videos). Heartbreaking, to say the least. If you have ever been there, you know the beautiful river walk behind the shops on main street -- well that flooded out and main street is now a river. My heart goes out to all the shop owners and residents there.

Kurt

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if I should cancel my trip?? It's supposed to quit raining by the time I get there next Friday. Oy vay!! shaggy

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It will all be fine in a week. This is so unusual, and it's supposed to warm up and stop on Monday.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It will all be fine in a week. This is so unusual, and it's supposed to warm up and stop on Monday.

Shaggy was planning on going to Estes Park. I'm sorry, but this will not be fine in a week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR5kwNjzC9Q

Most of downtown Estes Park was under water. I think anyone planning on Estes Park in the near term should re-think their plans. JMO.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
US 34 from Loveland to Estes Park (Big Thompson canyon) was destroyed today. It is one of the two major roads to Estes Park from the Front range. It will probably be months before it is re-built.

Here is a picture that shows the extent of the damage. You are looking at a road that was built up 20-30 feet above the river during normal flow. Other pictures in that Facebook album show additional views of the Big Thompson canyon.

Kurt

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Right now we have reservations for the end of May 2014 for Estes Park. I'm thinking we may have to either change that trip to either Santa Fe, NM, Branson, MO or maybe even cancel the trip all together. Even if they get that roads open there's likely to be a lot of work going on with one lane closures until sometime later in the season. Trying to go in May might be to soon.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoping everyone is safe and well that lives in the area. I have to agree with the poster that said it will not all be fine in a week. I live in Calgary which flooded June20th/21st and they finally reopened the saddledome this week and the old holy cross hospital will likely never be reopened. Several sections of high river (the worst hit area) may never be inhabitable. Like Colorado we have never experienced anything like this.

Joan

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just saw this:
Sep 14, 2013 8:51 p.m.

Rocky Mountain National Park is closed to all recreational use.

The National Park Servcie said the closure includes the backcountry, all trails, secondary roads, picnic areas, and park campgrounds. Campers have relocated outside the park.

The east side of Rocky Mountain National park is under an emergency disaster declaration. The park will be closed until further notice. It is too soon to determine when sections of the park may reopen or when we will have the capacity to manage recreational use.

Trail Ridge Road, which is U.S. Highway 34 through Rocky Mountain National Park, is open for essential travel only.

Trail Ridge Road will remain open as long as weather and road conditions permit. It is highest continuous paved road in the United States, topping out at 12,183 feet.

At the request of the Town of Estes Park and Larimer County Emergency Services, park managers have been asked to only allow eastbound traffic to consist of community residents, family members of community residents providing support, emergency services and delivery trucks. This request is being made because the Estes Park community's infrastructure is overwhelmed due to the magnitude of this historic flood event. The limited resources must be focused on response and recovery. No visitors to the area will be allowed to travel east bound, even those with advance plans and reservations in the community.

Conditions continue to change. Trail Ridge Road is closed from the Fall River Entrance to Deer Ridge Junction. Trail Ridge Road is open from Beaver Meadows Entrance, U.S. Highway 36, through to Grand Lake. However, travelers should plan for the possibility of night closures if conditions warrant.

The rest of Phone and internet service is currently unavailable from most of Rocky Mountain National Park. Park personnel are currently unable to receive or make phone calls outside the local area.

U.S. Highways 36 and 34 to Estes Park were heavily damaged by flood waters and remain closed.

Scripps Only Content 2013
Basically, Trail Ridge Road (through RMNP) is the only reliable road in/out of Estes Park right now.

Kurt

Last edited:

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a sad situation. I'm so bummed out, which is so selfish but I was SO looking forward to this but I am glad I was able to cancel everything so painlessly. May this village rebound quickly. shaggy

patty5ia

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tis will NOT all be fine in a week. Many roads and bridges are washed out. Several hundred people are still unaccounted for. This is a huge disaster for CO.

cotraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to a story on the Estes Park Trail Gazette newspaper, Highway 7 south is also open with the same restrictions as Trail Ridge Road. That route is the Peak to Peak highway through Nederland and Black Hawk. Estes Park visitors will be allowed to leave town via that route, but only residents and essential personnel will be allowed into town. Checkpoints are set up along the route to enforce this policy.

One comment I saw on the WorldMark-Wyndham facebook page was that the WorldMark resort had some minor damage in the pool and spa area but the units were not flooded. The comment said that resort is currently closed until September 20 and I would not be surprised if the closure was extended beyond that date.

Note: You can read that WorldMark facebook page even if you do not have a facebook account. https://www.facebook.com/WorldMark

An update. (I saw this in a TUG Lounge thread and felt it would be appropriate to add it here) Posted on the WorldMark web site, today, Monday September 16:

"Estes Park, Col., experienced a high level of rainfall which caused flooding. The WorldMark Estes Park resort is closed due to the flooding, and arrivals will not be accepted until Tuesday, October 15. WorldMark Steamboat Springs and Granby resorts remain open."

Last edited:

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got a call from Wyndham saying all reservations have been cancelled and they were returning my points. I had taken care of that yesterday but did call to make sure everything was done properly.

shaggy

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right now we have reservations for the end of May 2014 for Estes Park. I'm thinking we may have to either change that trip to either Santa Fe, NM, Branson, MO or maybe even cancel the trip all together. Even if they get that roads open there's likely to be a lot of work going on with one lane closures until sometime later in the season. Trying to go in May might be to soon.

I am dropping plans for a trip through that area after watching an in depth weather channel report of the damage. At least 40 major bridges have been put out of action. 1300 other bridges need to be inspected. The topography of some of the land has been changed making fixing the bridges problematic in some cases. They have been air dropping photos to cut off towns to let them know how bad the situation is and to work with authorities to evacuate before winter.

This is a horrible situation for those who live there that is life changing. For vacationers this is a minor inconvenience by comparison.

Unfortunately, it will take years to recover or replace needed infrastructure.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At work, we just hired an intern a few weeks ago that lives with her parents in the middle of the Big Thompson canyon between Loveland and Estes Park. Their house was ok (on higher ground), but they had to hike out 7 miles as the canyon highway (US34) was destroyed.

The latest estimate is that they will not be able to reach their house (and cars) for 12-18 months! Can you imagine?

If you want to see a photo log of aerial shots of the flooding from Loveland to Estes Park (including the canyon), the City of Loveland posted these pictures on Dropbox. Lots of bridges gone, roads totally destroyed, houses lost. The only bright side is that most people had plenty of warning so loss of life was minimal.

Kurt

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
What a mess. So sorry to see the devastation to your community Kurt. Those poor people who will be unable to get to their homes for a year or more, it is hard to imagine.