• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Vacation Club

jwm1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing 2 weeks at a Hyatt Vacation Club resort in Arizona. I have listened to the sales pitch and searched a lot of websites regarding Time Shares. Please - Can anyone provide reviews (good or bad) of their Hyatt Vacation Club experiences? Thanks!

jwm1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks

Thanks. I have looked at the reviews of various resorts but what I am really looking for is not resort specific. I am looking for evaluations of the Hyatt Vacation Club as a whole experience - points, ability to trade both in and out of Hyatt's own chain, the 800-GOHYATT help line and their new web page system.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is an excellent system. Use the search function and you will find tons of info. Just dont buy from the developer, buy a resale and save thousands.

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin: Mission Hills, Desert Willow, Riverfront Mtn Villas, Kierland, Flex
Marriott: Grande Ocean, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs
Hyatt: Beach House, Coconut Plantation, High Sierra Lodge,
Four Seasons: Aviara, Scottsdale.
Royal Haciendas
I am a very satisfied Hyatt Vacation Club owner. I think HVC has an excellent program with outstanding resorts in many great locations. I have been very pleased with the ability to internally use my HVC club points to exchange into other HVC locations. I have also received some excellent trades through II for points that I banked. I have found the HVC employees to be very helpful and knowledgeable. I agree with the advice to purchase resale unless there is a very specific week/unit at a particular resort that you want to be assured of regularly using each year that isn't available resale.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO, the Hyatt program is second to none in the industry. The points program is a bit of a challenge until you spend a little time to understand it. From then on it's just a matter of planning ahead. Before you buy, think thru some "what-if" planning to determine the best season/unit-week that fits your vacation needs. As an example, owning a 1400 point unit will make it difficult for you to get a 2BR unit at high season HVC resorts.

I've talked to MANY Hyatt owners and I have yet to find one that feels like their purchase was a mistake. Some of those own Marriott units and feel Hyatt is the superior of the two.

Obviously you are aware the HVC program is premier, top tier and not inexpensive. If you get a good price on a unit, that's a great vacation bargain as you can easily use the point value for multiple stays and stays at resorts such as Aspen (which sell in the 6 figure range) as if you bought there.

pizzagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the previous posters, and my husband and I also feel that Hyatt is second to none!! We've owned in Key West for 3 years now. We have traded within Hyatt only, so far, but do plan on using some points we have banked with II. Understanding the points system is a little tricky at first. However, at every Hyatt resort, they have at least one "points workshop" per week where you can get all of your questions and concerns answered concisely. Even if you are a "seasoned" Hyatt owner, you can always learn something new at the workshop.

As far as the resorts themselves go....all I can say is everything we've experienced has been top notch. The staff at every resort has been more than pleasant and will go out of the way for you. The facilities are great. We just returned from an exchange into Coconut Plantation and wow...what a place!!! I admit that my husband and I were both skeptical but all of our fears went away during our first stay. Good luck to you!!!

Cathy

jwm1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all

Thank you all for responding. I agree with the comments talking about the Hyatt quality - I have stayed at many Hyatt's while traveling for business. I have found few resales at this particular resort (its new) and then the resale savings were less than the incentives offered by Hyatt. My wife and I don't really feel that Hyatt Pinion Point is a place we would like to visit year after year but it does have lower maintenance fees than other HVC properties. Since we can use all the HVC properties using our points (if there is availability) we will probably purchase there.

Since we are new to time sharing, we are finding the points system rather confusing (we think the same person who designed the points system designed the Medicare Drug Plan). But from your comments, this confusion can be overcome. Looking forward to being a member of HVC.

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Please rethink Hyatt trade within system

Please do not purchase at Pinon just because there are no weeks for sale on the resale market. Trust me those Main. Fees will go up. The developer often has lower MF when a resort is new, it is easy to sell those weeks with a low MF. We own Hyatt and have traded within the Hyatt system with NO PROBLEMS, EVER! You could own at Key West Beach House, one of the worlds best bang for the buck and go where ever you wanted. You can go to Breck or Bever Creek in the peak season ,Calf. or Lake Tahoe or anywhere because Hyatt reserves their inventory for Hyatt owners. If you call 1-800- Go-Hyatt and ask to use your points at a Hyatt resort, you will get your room. I do not think it not very often that they do not fill your request. Their service is like none other in the industry. We also own 2 weeks at a Morritts in Caymen, which is RCI - so I have something to compare to. We bought from the developer the first time around and the sales manager went into the computer to prove to me about Hyatt holding inventory. We could have gone to Beaver Creek or Breck during Presidents Week, Easter, or even the week after Christmas. This is was an eye opener for me - but remember you do not have to own at the resort you want to go to. The points can be used anywhere in the Hyatt system. We of course rescinded our contract once I found out we could buy a resale at .60 cents on the dollar. Please reconsider, the MF will go up - Hyatt is not cheap and they spend money on their resorts. The furniture gets replaced every five years or sooner - even if it does not need it. They do not wait for stuff to get shabby or worn looking. If it even remotely looks like it needs replacement - it gets replaced, the MF will go up - just something to consider.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
jwm1950 said:
Thank you all for responding. I agree with the comments talking about the Hyatt quality - I have stayed at many Hyatt's while traveling for business. I have found few resales at this particular resort (its new) and then the resale savings were less than the incentives offered by Hyatt. My wife and I don't really feel that Hyatt Pinion Point is a place we would like to visit year after year but it does have lower maintenance fees than other HVC properties. Since we can use all the HVC properties using our points (if there is availability) we will probably purchase there.

Since we are new to time sharing, we are finding the points system rather confusing (we think the same person who designed the points system designed the Medicare Drug Plan). But from your comments, this confusion can be overcome. Looking forward to being a member of HVC.

It's interesting that you might make a purchase decision on comparative maintenance fees. You probably should use a 5% per year increase in MFs over time. The Florida properties are a special situation because of the hurricane/wind/flood insurance coverage that you won't see at the other HVC resorts. Also, assume your resale value of a unit purchased from Hyatt will be 50% of the price you pay today. Unlike the vast majority of time shares, all the Hyatt resorts have substantially increased in value over time. In part, this is due to the nature of the points program and the ability to easily stay at all the HVC resorts.

As a thumb rule, my first criteria for purchase is to buy at a resort where I would be comfortable staying forever. That way, I won't be disappointed for some unanticipated future issue. Second criteria is get the very best week that fits my lifestyle. Then pricing controls.

Having said that, I know many Hyatt owners who have never stayed at their "home resort". They ALWAYS use their points to stay elsewhere. In this scenario in the HVC system, buying a season/week that best fits your lifestyle remains very important.

You might want to go HERE for more info on the HVC program and resorts.

jwm1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Information

Both comments about purchasing from developer are valid. You do pay a premium when you do. An while I agree the maintenance fees at Pinion Point will increase with inflation, so will maintenance fees in all the HVC resorts, probably at the same rate. One advantage Pinion Point may have is that there is little landscaping upkeep (its enviroment is very rocky - no grass).

My wife and I have never found a place we have wanted to always return - Pinion Point included. We are looking more at the points than the location. We are somewhat leary of Florida / Key West due to huricanes and the damage they have and will inflict.

There are several HVC resales (including 1 at Piinion Point) for resale in redweek.com. Can anyone enlighten me on typical closing cost fees including lawyer?

And speaking of points - how difficult is it to trade thru II? Has anyone
experienced a lot trades thru II? This is of interest to us as would like to see Hawaii as well as parts of Europe.

Thanks

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
jwm1950 said:
... An while I agree the maintenance fees at Pinion Point will increase with inflation, so will maintenance fees in all the HVC resorts, probably at the same rate. One advantage Pinion Point may have is that there is little landscaping upkeep (its enviroment is very rocky - no grass)....

With regard to MF in Key West, for the Beach House as an example, the line item for "Landscape/Grounds Maintenance" is about $14 per unit per week.

jwm1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Point

You make a good point regarding what is billed as an advantage for Pinion Point - From what I can see in the info provided to me by Hyatt, the biggest cost is Engineering & Housekeeping (200 per unit). The only other 3 digit costs are $143 for Gen Admin and $115 to cover Interval International's membership. The rest is small dollars but they plus the items above add up to $798 per week.

I don't mind paying a reasonable maint fee if they are using it to keep place up and the service is good (it is from what all of you have said). Thanks a lot for all your input and advice. We have until 3/31 to decide.

One disadvantage of buying resale for us is the inability to trade for Hyatt Gold Passport points - there are several places we wish to go that have a Hyatt hotel but no HVC resort. We were thinking the transfer of points the passport side might help us with these stays. But I don't think that advantage is worth more than a couple of thousand dollars -

2,200 Diamond points buys 90,000 gold passport points
90,000 points equal 6 nights in New York or about $2,400 in peak season. Since we are looking at buying two weeks we would be able to trade one week each year. We would not do that each year of course but its something the wife is interest in. And when the wife's happy.....I'm happy. So many ways to look at this
again - thanks

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you would like to see the detailed breakdown of Maintenance Fees for Hyatt Sunset Harbor, go HERE. You can easily see the Florida hurricane impacts in operating costs, but that's really not much compared to the total numbers.

Most Hyatt owners do not find the Hotel Exchange program of value. When you consider you must deposit your full week to get the hotel program, for the high end Hyatt Hotels, you get 4 days in return. That's giving up in a 2BR/2 Bath unit for a hotel room. For a quality week at a HVC resort, it might have a rental value of maybe $400-$500/day. Seven days equates to north of $2800. How does that compare to 4-5 days in a hotel room?

jwm1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks kal for your help and input. It works our great when you can benefit from someone elses experience. As you can tell - we are new to this.

Based on what you have seen and experienced, how much is the typical closing costs including legal fees?

Also, how hard is it to get into popular locations in II such as Williamsburg and Hawaii using the exchange points?

Again, thanks -

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Typical Closing Costs and Legal Fees -

Those numbers are highly variable depending who you go thru to purchase the unit. On a resale basis you should expect to pay something like $400-$500. This would include Title Insurance, closing costs, recording fees and state taxes/fees. You might avoid Title Insurance as that is an optional item.

I don't have any personal experience in exchanging my HVC units thru Interval as I never use my Hyatt properties for that purpose. I always stay at HVC resorts. However, other owners who have exchanged thru Interval report very good trading power using Hyatt properties.

I do use Interval for exchanges with my non-Hyatt properties. Personally I do not like Interval as IMHO I believe they are skimming off many quality properties before they even become available to members.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Start a little smaller

Since you are new to timesharing, I would buy one week rather than two right now. You can always get a second week later. Also check ebay -- punch in Hyatt timeshare -- and you should find two or three. You will see that the prices are much lower. Do it for closed listings as well which you can do under the advanced search function. Also check bidshares. They also have a link to backporch closings and they charge about 200 to 300 for closings. There are usually no great legal issues involved in closing a timeshare. Good luck! Funtime

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
funtime said:
Since you are new to timesharing, I would buy one week rather than two right now. You can always get a second week later. Also check ebay -- punch in Hyatt timeshare -- and you should find two or three. You will see that the prices are much lower. Do it for closed listings as well which you can do under the advanced search function. Also check bidshares. They also have a link to backporch closings and they charge about 200 to 300 for closings. There are usually no great legal issues involved in closing a timeshare. Good luck! Funtime

The problem with buying 2 timeshares rather than one high-end week with lots of points is 2x maintenance fees. The MFs for two 1100 point units would be twice that of one 2200 point unit.

There is also no assurance a prospective buyer can actually close on any resale. Hyatt has a very aggressive Right of First Refusal program. Every sale must go thru Hyatt for approval. They can make significant $$$ by grabbing a low priced unit and selling it at developer pricing.

jwm1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still doing due diligence

We are looking at a diamond and gold week - 4,080 pts. My concern is - will we be able to use this number of points each year? I am thinking we will because we will be sharing the points with our 2 grown children. (they would be sharing equally in the cost of MF as their contribution)

I have done a lot of research and based on what I have read, heard and seen, HVC is one of the best - Bothers me though that they refused to contribute information (or be interviewed) for the book "Time Sharing for Dummies". Marriott, Hilton and Disney did - Four Seasons did not.

Still doing the due diligence - Many thanks everyone's input

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
jwm1950 said:
We are looking at a diamond and gold week - 4,080 pts. My concern is - will we be able to use this number of points each year? I am thinking we will because we will be sharing the points with our 2 grown children. (they would be sharing equally in the cost of MF as their contribution)

I have done a lot of research and based on what I have read, heard and seen, HVC is one of the best - Bothers me though that they refused to contribute information (or be interviewed) for the book "Time Sharing for Dummies". Marriott, Hilton and Disney did - Four Seasons did not.

Still doing the due diligence - Many thanks everyone's input

4080 points will indeed provide you with all kinds of great options. You just have to think thru how the HVC program works i.e. 3 specific 6-month seasons. If you own 2 adjacent weeks you'll have the full leverage of all those points. If the weeks are separated by say 6 months, you won't really see a situation where you can easily apply those 4080 points together, but you would have year-round opportunities. Just do some "what-if" planning with the points chart.

Hyatt is a privately held corporation and embraces a very tight-lipped culture. And this is not limited to the Vaction Club program, but all the hotel enterprises and everything else. I find myself very surprised whenever there is any announcement from Hyatt. Almost in every situation the rumor mill has verified facts long before Hyatt even hints about something. That's just the way they are.

As an example, you would think Hyatt would have made a big splash with HVC members about their purchase of AmeriSuites. These properties lend themselves well to HVC owners who in a narrow application need accomodations before or after their HVC stays. What a captive "buying" audience.

With regard to the Dummies book, I tend to think Hyatt is much more closely aligned with Four Seasons than with the Hilton, Marriott and Disney enterprises. I think Hyatt is a step above those mass-marketers.

jwm1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks Kal for all your advise and help. Looking forward to being a member of, by all accounts, a good quality organization.
jwm

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin: Mission Hills, Desert Willow, Riverfront Mtn Villas, Kierland, Flex
Marriott: Grande Ocean, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs
Hyatt: Beach House, Coconut Plantation, High Sierra Lodge,
Four Seasons: Aviara, Scottsdale.
Royal Haciendas
If you're looking at buying 2 weeks, Kal made a good point about doing some "what if" planning to decide whether it makes more sense for you to buy adjacent weeks to leverage the points coming in at a specific time of the year or to buy weeks that are appx 6 months apart to give you broader access to weeks throughout the year. In my case, I decided to buy weeks that were spaced 6 months apart from each other so that I have points coming in at different times during the year and broader access to usage throughout the year. If this strategy made sense for you - and you were going to buy weeks with different HVC point values - you might even want to think about what time of year you would want to travel most and plan the differing point values accordingly. On the other hand, if you need multiple units in order to travel with extended family you may want to leverage the points by purchasing the same or adjacent weeks.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
As another strategy, maybe just separate the weeks by say 3 months. If there are periods during the year when you generally do not travel, then set up your points program accordingly. Try not to end up in a situation where you need to borrow points from the next year.

The Diamond weeks are generally Xmas/NY and Presidents Week, so that will automatically set one focal point to build your strategy.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Just a thought,

These boards have lots a people talking about Hilton, Marriott and Starwood and very few people talking about Hyatt or Four Seasons. WHY?

Maybe, there are very few Hyatt or Four Seasons owners? Maybe, the peolpe who own at Hyatt or Four Seasons are so happy that they don't come here to complain? Or the system is so straight forward that they don't have questions about their TSs?

I don't know, but I have thought about it.

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Hyatt II VS othere TS

We own at Hyatt and at Morritts in Caymen. You will find many people complaining about Morritts and RCI. But, not about Hyatt - it is because the resorts are really beautiful and if you trade you go thru a Hyatt advisor and not the usual timeshare hassle. All the people at Hyatt are consumer wise and that is the reason there are not compliants on this board. There are many Hyatt owners, just my thoughts - but since I own both RCI and II I can compare due to experience. I plan on ditching the Morritts weeks once the resort is worth anything on the resale market - RCI stinks compared to Hyatt and II.