• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welk Timber Ridge in Branson--Rescind?

hillyerd

Reaction score
We just left the resort and I thought we got a pretty good deal, but after the last two hours of research I've done now I am confused all over again. Here is what we got: for $13995 we got 180,000 eoy even years, HOA of 1039 eoy, we also got unlimited getaway weeks thru Interval international. and 2 roundtrip tickets to Hawaii.

While I realize any time you buy through the developer you pay more. I am trying to figure out if the unlimited getaway weeks are of any real value. Since the weeks are thru them we don't have to pay an additional exchange fee do we? I know if we convert our points we do, but I am not sure if we do otherwise.

I need help, and need it quick, as all of you know I have 5 days to rescind. I also can't seem to find any resale units at this lodge. Please help, newbie who would love to start building vacations through timeshares, and I thought I knew what I was doing....

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind...you can buy a resort that is affiliated with II (resale of course) and you will get access to unlimited getaways. You could also buy something affiliated with RCI and use their getaway program. You can also find resorts that are dual affiliated. While I am not familiar with Welk points I know that this is no bargain and you can SAVE THOUSANDS.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
We just left the resort and I thought we got a pretty good deal, but after the last two hours of research I've done now I am confused all over again. Here is what we got: for $13995 we got 180,000 eoy even years, HOA of 1039 eoy, we also got unlimited getaway weeks thru Interval international. and 2 roundtrip tickets to Hawaii.

While I realize any time you buy through the developer you pay more. I am trying to figure out if the unlimited getaway weeks are of any real value. Since the weeks are thru them we don't have to pay an additional exchange fee do we? I know if we convert our points we do, but I am not sure if we do otherwise.

I need help, and need it quick, as all of you know I have 5 days to rescind. I also can't seem to find any resale units at this lodge. Please help, newbie who would love to start building vacations through timeshares, and I thought I knew what I was doing....

All Interval members have access to Getaway weeks. Interval "reserves the right" to limit the number of Getaway weeks, but I've never heard of ANYONE who was limited.

Getaways are basically "excess inventory". So you'll find more of them in areas that are overbuilt like Branson, Orlando, Sedona, Phoenix, Palm Springs, etc. You'll also find more of them during the "shoulder" (non-prime) portions of the year.

Whether you bought through Welk or even on the secondary market you have access to the Getaways and also you PAY the same amount for them. They vary in price from roughly a couple hundred bucks up to $1000 or more. While Getaways are often great deals, Welk really wasn't giving you anything that you wouldn't get if you bought somewhere else.

Buying from the developer is very expensive. You'd do much better buying on the secondary market. I saw that a week ago there was a 90,000 point (every year) Welk on ebay that had no minimum bid and which received no bidders. I think that equates to the same number of points per two years as what you bought. But with closing costs, it would have only cost you about $500. http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-000-WELK...31090089317?pt=Timeshares&hash=item4d1681d565

I suggest that you rescind exactly according to the requirements in your documentation package.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind NOW

Welcome to tug you just saved $14,000

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So did you rescind that BlueGreen purchase you posted about back on December 10th? Here, to refresh your memory: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183806

A hint: research first. rent next. Buy when you can't rent at the location you are just frothing to get back to, not before.

Buying first then asking here about the wisdom of doing it is playing with fire. One day you won't get that rescission letter in the mail in time.

Jim

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We own in the Welk system and are pretty happy with it. That said, like others, I would recommend that you rescind your purchase immediately.

Do more research into the various systems and determine which one fits your needs the best. If you decide that Welk is the one you want, you can buy point packages on Redweek.com and probably on others too. You will save a lot of money. The other incentive they gave you (flight to Hawaii) isn't worth the difference.

Good luck.

hillyerd

Reaction score
We did rescind the bluegreen. We are apparently suckers. We have vowed to never go back to anyones presentation. We are eager to be owners and start going on great vacations. We thought we had done enough research on here this time. I appreciate the feedback everyone has given. Passepartout I agree we are flirting with fire, we really thought we had done our research this time, it was half the cost of what we had seen in the past, I had done research (I thought) I will get it rescinded tomorrow. And start again with our research.
If anyone would like to give us recommendations we like to do one vacation a year and a lot of weekend vacations throughout the year (Dallas, Branson, Kansas City, St. Louis) we live in Arkansas. Is there a company that would fit our needs the best in anyones opinion. Thank you for all the help.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

ineedavacation33

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see you've already rescinded, but just wanted to post that we purchased with Welk in San Diego (Escondido) and got 300,000 points eoy on even years for around $15k in 2010, and I believe they have a higher general exchange value than Branson, but I'm not an expert. We didn't know anything about timeshares at the time and should have rescinded and looked at the resale market, but lesson learned. That being said, we are please with Welk in general, both with the property and the exchange values that we get through RCI. The Welk salespeople are very sketchy though and definitely left a bad taste in our mouths, but we have gotten some great exchanges in the last 2 years and a few long weekends at the resort that have been good. Just wanted to share our experience with Welk and give you a cost comparison.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are many posts here about finding out about the resale market when it's too, late. The overall consensus is to hang around long enough to figure out how to get maximum realistic value through maximum USAGE, and too let go of most of what the salesman promised you

Last edited: