• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just Returned from Westin St. John-WOW! (with video link)

djdavid79

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from a trip to WSJ, and we were really impressed. We've been going to Hawaii for a few years now, but thought it was time to try something new. We're both glad we did. I can't say enough about how absolutely nice people are in St. John. They seem genuinely happy, and want you to be having just as good of a time.

We stayed in Bay Vista, room 2531, 2 bedroom. The room was showing a little bit of wear, but overall in relatively good shape. Though there was a missing tile on the bar, and some of the furniture was super scratched up.

The first two days we did not venture too far from the resort, but we took the Island Tour that they were offering, basically we rode around in an open air taxi for two hours, but we really enjoyed it. It gave us a good understanding of where we wanted to go back, and what we wanted to see more of when we rented a car for the day.

This being our first trip, I am glad we took the Westin Ferry, and had all of that set up. BUT the next time we go back, we'll certainly rent a jeep and take the ferry. Getting out and about and exploring the island is what made the trip so amazing.

Advice for those that are driving: the map they give you at the resort says that Bordeaux Mountain Road (Rt 108) is a secondary road, it does not tell you that part of it is partially unpaved with HUGE holes and is all mud. At one point we were not sure we were actually on a road, but a local guy came driving the other way. He burst out laughing when we asked if this was a road, and if it went through to Centerline Road (yes, it does). There was a lot of screaming at each other in the Jeep, but thankfully we lived to tell about it. :hi:

We completely get why people are in love with WSJ. I think it probably has more to do with island itself and the people, rather than the resort. The beach at the resort is fine if you just want rest by a beach with your book. It is no where near the nicest beach on the island, but it was the only beach where I got to see a shark. It looked like a nurse shark.

Here's a video I quickly put together showing our room, some of the beaches and the snorkeling we did. Including the sea turtles. Everything was filmed with an iPhone, except the underwater, which was with our GoPro.

http://youtu.be/rKzs4bIUN6g

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
:clap:Very nice Video. What model GoPro do you have. I have a GoPro Black 3+ on order for my next trip to STT next Month. Marriotts Frenchman Cove, and the Reef Hotel combo! :clap:

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
Glad you had a great time, and awesome video! What did you use to edit?

djdavid79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I used a GoPro Hero3+ as well. The battery runs out really quickly, so have backups if you're planning on filming a lot. The 30 shots in one second is really great. I also bought a Wyrd camera pole, so it was easier to move and hold on to, and I had less of a chance of getting my fingers in the shot. The wide angle is REALLY wide.

I used iMovie for the editing and Garage Band for the music. It was my first time really sinking in to either of those programs, and I found them pretty easy to use. iMovie the easier of the two.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks for the video - excellent. Glad you loved StJ. Long trip from SF - you can see why we go for 2 weeks. Taking Rt108 is crazy - glad you didn't get stuck.
I think I am going to get the GoPro 3+ Black for our trip to StJ/WSJ in 32 days (counting down) - it has some great features I'd like to use.
Anyone want to buy a gently used Olympus TG820?

djdavid79

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 weeks is going to be a must for our next trip. I'm glad we broke up the flights and spent a night in Florida each way. STT was crazy when we were leaving, took us an hour and a half to get through baggage tagging, customs, security.

I think we are going to look into chartering a boat for a week and sail around a bit, and spend the other week at WSJ or VRBO a house.

taffy19

Reaction score
What a fantastic video and the music with the snorkeling too. I want to go there now. :cool: Thank you for sharing.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Thanks for sharing your vacation video Dennis & Mike.
St. John is so beautiful.
Glad you enjoyed it.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
2 weeks is going to be a must for our next trip. I'm glad we broke up the flights and spent a night in Florida each way. STT was crazy when we were leaving, took us an hour and a half to get through baggage tagging, customs, security.

I think we are going to look into chartering a boat for a week and sail around a bit, and spend the other week at WSJ or VRBO a house.

Yeah, 1-week is way too short. Almost sold our week, but was able to pickup an adjacent week (of course paid way too much by today's standards, but made up for it by just being there).

We stay in MIA on the way, but tough it on the way back. This year i picked up 1st class tickets on AA For the way home for just $75pp more (after accounting for luggage fees).

Next time use a Porter at STT - they will make it much smoother - well worth it.

We sailed (bareboat) the BVI for 10 days in 1991 (pre-internet, GPS) - it was quite memoriable - wish we had keyed into StJ back then, but was too much hassle to go back and forth (more so than today).

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a great video. Thanks.
We will be in BV also (I'm assuming that we have a loft? Sleeps 10?). Are there certain buildings that the lofts are in or are they just on the ends of 24,25,26,27 ? I know I've read somewhere on here how many of each type of room there is, but can't find now.
Djdavid...was the tour something offered thru the Westin? I like the idea of scouting places out. DH thinks we should just get in the jeep and go.

Lee

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

djdavid79

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure where the lofts are, but I think your assumption is correct that since it sleeps ten that you will have a loft.

The tour is offered by the westin for $25 per person. I think it was only M-F, 9:30 and 1:30, lasts 2ish hours. We went in the morning, and it was full. They said the afternoons are usually much lighter, sometimes it's just 2 people. I liked the tour because I had an idea of the distances between things, what to expect of the roads, parking, etc. All of the looking down towards a beach shots in the video I posted are from the tour.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a great video. Thanks.
We will be in BV also (I'm assuming that we have a loft? Sleeps 10?). Are there certain buildings that the lofts are in or are they just on the ends of 24,25,26,27 ? I know I've read somewhere on here how many of each type of room there is, but can't find now.
Djdavid...was the tour something offered thru the Westin? I like the idea of scouting places out. DH thinks we should just get in the jeep and go.

Lee

Lee

The lofts are one the ends of each building in Bay Vista.....8 in total.

I recommend just getting a jeep and going. You really can't get lost....much.

We are staying in a loft for our trip next week. Need any info or pics?

Tom

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score

Friends of mine had a boat for a week, touring the Virgin islands. They said it was the best vacation ever.

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tom, all the info and all the pics you choose to share will be appreciated. You could give us any heads up for our upcoming trip. We will have a jeep for the whole week, so might as well just go for it. Watching so many YouTube videos, I've already drove (watched) the whole place.

If I get an opportunity to request a bldg, are 24 and 27 still the best bets for views.

Gas prices?

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tom, all the info and all the pics you choose to share will be appreciated. You could give us any heads up for our upcoming trip. We will have a jeep for the whole week, so might as well just go for it. Watching so many YouTube videos, I've already drove (watched) the whole place.

If I get an opportunity to request a bldg, are 24 and 27 still the best bets for views.

Gas prices?

In Bay Vista section, the furthest building has the best views...

Avoid Trunk Bay when the cruise ships are at St Thomas.

We try and visit 2-3 beaches per day, starting at the furthest and working our way back.

OKPACIFIC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fabulously captured

Fabulous video!!! We just returned from a 2 week stay at Westin St. John, can't believe our paths didn't cross. We met up twice with Tuggers Mike and Donna from CA, fun time.

We were in the Hillside Villas, 1 bedroom loft, unit 3327. The villa was older and showed signs of its age like sheetrock seams splitting on the walls and watermarks on the vaulted ceiling. The tile and carpet seemed to be aging gracefully but tge walls and ceilings are still "popcorn". We were told these units were remodeled/renovated in 2008. The view of the bay made up for the age. There is a small pool between each of the hilside units. The advantage, you can park your car out side your unit, we didnt have a car. The disadvantage, you have to use the shuttles/golfcarts to get up to your unit, they expect a tip each time. We were, however, told buy HS owners that the shuttle is part of the ownership. We only tipped from that point if they went above and beyond. Taxis are only allowed in HS if you callfor one or dropping you off.

We also went on an island tour with James "Penn". We did not stop at the beaches, just paused from the cliff to take pictures. It was 2+ hours at $25 a person plus tip. A must do for newcomers to the island. The tours are 9 am and 1:30.

More to come from our trip, we own three 2Bdr units in Hawaii, but fell in love with St. John.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Avoid Trunk Bay when the cruise ships are at St Thomas.

We try and visit 2-3 beaches per day, starting at the furthest and working our way back.

vinow.com has the cruise boat schedule.
important for more than Trunk Bay - luckily this time of year has low number of cruise boats. It is a sad circus at times (almost had to save one kid from drowning while at Honeymoon). We plan our vacation around the cruise ships.

We are a 1 beach/day folks - and generally based on weather and time of day (and bug potential). It is easy to move around the north-side beaches, but a drive to Coral Bay and you are committed. (e.g. Salt Pond is ~50 mins away from WSJ)

Trunk at 4pm is a great time to go (free, no people, sunset - best to have car) - but be very wary of noseeums.
For Honeymoon/Salomon (calm days only) - pay the fee to get in thru Caneel - and get fee refunded by purchasing something.

If a couple are looking for an interesting villa to stay at (esp if you are into cooking/food) - take a look at Ted Robinson's place (Ted's Supper Club). We have Ted come to our villa and cook for us during our stay - always a highlight. Reserve ahead of time.

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trunk at 4pm is a great time to go (free, no people, sunset - best to have car) - but be very wary of noseeums.

For "bug" repellent, I highly recommend Ben's repellent.

wipes 30 DEET
http://www.amazon.com/Tender-Bens-12-count-Travel-Wipes/dp/B001GAOIME/ref=pd_rhf_pe_p_d_1

spray 100 DEET
http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Med...qid=1399315352&sr=8-8&keywords=bens+repellent

If a couple are looking for an interesting villa to stay at (esp if you are into cooking/food) - take a look at Ted Robinson's place (Ted's Supper Club). We have Ted come to our villa and cook for us during our stay - always a highlight. Reserve ahead of time.

Do note....Ted can not cook in the Bay Vista villas, only the Hillside units.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
For "bug" repellent, I highly recommend Ben's repellent.

wipes 30 DEET
http://www.amazon.com/Tender-Bens-12-count-Travel-Wipes/dp/B001GAOIME/ref=pd_rhf_pe_p_d_1

spray 100 DEET
http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Med...qid=1399315352&sr=8-8&keywords=bens+repellent

Do note....Ted can not cook in the Bay Vista villas, only the Hillside units.

Thanks for the info on the bug repellent - my bites mainly come from when I am BBQing

No Ted at BV? Yikes! Another reason to own Hillside (VGV). ;)

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
that's not fair he can't cook at BV.
That would have been neat.

Thanks for the bug spray info...will order tomorrow.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Ted needs a full oven. BV units do not have a full oven.

and even more of a reason to own VGV... :D

Ted can't make his delicious Parmesan/Tomato Focaccia (using a cast-iron skillet) that keeps us fed for a couple of days.

999674_10201516517178843_905439651_n_zps5bf0bf75.jpg

Last edited: