• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it OK to charge Guests??

Boppo57

Reaction score
I'm reserving a 3 bedroom townhouse Marriott Village De iLe-de France near Paris. Two other couples are sharing with my wife and I. It will cost me approx 4000 points for 9 nights. Is it tacky to ask the two couples to chip in? I have no idea how much I would charge.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't think it's tacky, but I would have clarified that up front: "Do you want to go to France and split the cost of a condo with us?" Awkward to ask AFTER you have invited them.

I would charge at least enough to cover their share of the underlying maintenance fees.

Another option is to ask one couple to cover the car rental, and the other couple to cover the groceries.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on the nature of the "sharing". It sounds like you already invited them without asking them to pitch in. Normally if you want someone to pitch in it would be part of the invite. How tacky depends on the nature of your relationship.

alchook

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Denise. If you ask people to join you in your timeshare it's akin to inviting guests to a vacation home. Fine to ask upfront for them to share the costs, because that gives them a chance to decline gracefully.

If you've already invited them and they've accepted you can't then ask them to share expenses. The polite guest reciprocates some other way.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Who invited the other 2 couples? Was a "cost" to stay mentioned to them? Many times people who know I go to GREAT places, just think it is a paid for and an extra room where they can stay as MY GUEST would be free to them.

Whenever, ANYONE mentions my travel plans and asks what type of place I am stay, I make SURE they know from my discussion of the condo -- it cost me REAL money and what the costs tend to be. Sure, some friends have ASKED about coming along but they always say upfront, they be willing to pay HALF the costs.

AS for my sibling collection, different rules. I get the unit and THEY buy everything after checking in. FOOD, DRINK, TICKETS, RENTAL CAR, GAS, even a tee-shirt or sun screen ... If several siblings are coming along, I expect they solve the DOLLAR split out of my listening range. AND I do not mention the cost of MFs or how I got THAT unit. I have a great vacation; they seem to enjoy there stay. AND yes, they do cook some very good meals in the unit.

Now, my siblings are employed; if I invite a niece or nephew (under 20yo), I expect to feed them pizza and limit their adventures costing money to what I want to pay. Over 20yo, food in the unit I will cover; all drinks are on them and dinners out are split.

Boppo57

Reaction score

Just to clarify- nothing official yet. The other two couples asked for all of the details of the trip. I sent them the link for the resort- estimated cost of airfare- and window of dates that we will go. I expect hey will coem back and ask for the cost of the unit- or offer to give me money.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I wouldn't be coy about it - that leads to misunderstandings and hurt feelings. I'd come right out and nicely ask if they'd like to share the cost, and maybe suggest 2 or 3 ways to do it. Many people just think, "Oh, it's their timeshare, it's free." They simply do not understand your underlying costes.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We always clarify upfront. "Hey, we can get a condo in XXX. There could be an extra bedroom for $XXX. Wanna go?"

Then when we get there, we start a 'kitty.' Each couple pony's up an equal amount of cash into a container, then if we go to the onsite restaurant, a round at happy hour, need something communal from the onsite c-store, taxi or bus fare for the group, it comes out of that. Sooo much easier than trying to figure out whose 'turn' it is, or to do an accounting at the end of the trip. We replenish the kitty as needed, then at the end we use it to pay the resort fees that have been charged or divide up any surplus left as we separate.

It may not work for everyone, but it works well for us, and nobody feels 'used'.

Jim

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally don't ask if they're sharing the same unit but most of my family and friends, as would we, insist on reciprocating in some way. It probably never amounts to half of the MF but its the gesture that counts.

My BIL on the multiple trips his family has come insists on half MF. He was very vocally against us getting into TSing, thought it was the biggest waste of money and risky, and I guess he feels now its the least he should do. I tell him no but his wife (my lovely SIL) always sends us the check and makes sure we cash it. Its probably more her doing than his.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We don't charge guests when they stay with us in our villas. I agree with others, you really want to make sure the terms of the deal are known upfront when you invite them to give them the opportunity to say no if they don't like the terms. If the invite is out there, it is kind of tacky to go back and ask them now.

While don't have our guests pay for any of the costs for staying in the villa, some do give us a gift, others don't. We don't expect anything.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As soon as it is considered if you expect a guest to share costs you need to state that in the first few sentences on the conversation and repeat if necessary so there is no misunderstanding.

Most guests would also want to clarify because they don't want to be surprised down the road.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
When we have been planning to go anyway and have room in our unit, we haven't charged guests. The guests have usually been family members. In one case my brother in law paid for the rental car, in another case family members took us out to eat a few times and paid for a majority of the groceries.

We kind of figure if we're going anyway we're not putting out any additional money and don't ask for reimbursement. This is just what has worked for us.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We're going to Cabo in January with friends and originally planned on timesharing. We can't get a week that works for us so we're going to rent instead. We'll be splitting the cost of the week 50/50 with our friends. I don't see how it's any different than if we are using our unit (except that my timeshare cost is significantly less than the rental cost). Why wouldn't we split the cost?

I agree that it's different if it's family.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We're going to Cabo in January with friends and originally planned on timesharing. We can't get a week that works for us so we're going to rent instead. We'll be splitting the cost of the week 50/50 with our friends. I don't see how it's any different than if we are using our unit (except that my timeshare cost is significantly less than the rental cost). Why wouldn't we split the cost?

I agree that it's different if it's family.

For us the difference is, we were already planning on using the unit. We don't incur any additional costs if there are more people in the unit. So we don't charge guests, family or friends (I did remember we have also done with another couple). If we were renting, we would of course split the costs.

But again, what works for one doesn't work for all.

geekette

Reaction score
It's important to set expectations at the start. The entire trip has a much better chance of success.

I have no hard and fast rule but generally do not charge family unless I am out of pocket, sometimes if I am not On the trip with them, or it's a pricey trip (air to Europe, for example).

If you are asking the question, then you probably think you want to or need to charge them, so, get it out in the open, everyone will appreciate it. Quite possibly a couple at home is wondering if there is a cost. Tell them before they ask.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For us the difference is, we were already planning on using the unit. We don't incur any additional costs if there are more people in the unit. So we don't charge guests, family or friends (I did remember we have also done with another couple). If we were renting, we would of course split the costs.

Pretty much the same for us. In many cases we were able to exchange our 1BR or studio in to a 2BR or 3BR unit. So having people use the extra bedroom(s) really isn't costing us any more than if we just exchange like for like in unit size.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Pretty much the same for us. In many cases we were able to exchange our 1BR or studio in to a 2BR or 3BR unit. So having people use the extra bedroom(s) really isn't costing us any more than if we just exchange like for like in unit size.

We usually had guests when we were using our timeshare unit (which is a 3-bedroom) on Maui. And if we were trading for a different time of year we always made sure we got enough bedrooms for all who were planning on going.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

I see your point. I'll have to consider that in the future.

As a guest, it would make me uncomfortable to not split the cost. I don't know why though.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I see your point. I'll have to consider that in the future.

As a guest, it would make me uncomfortable to not split the cost. I don't know why though.

What cost would you ask someone to split? Trade fee? Maintenance fees?

We've pretty much always had our guests ask if they could contribute and we've said not towards the unit. That's when the offers of car rental or food have come in.

andrea t

TUG Member
Reaction score
We never charge family or friends. Its our pleasure to have them join us. Just got back from Marbella with two girlfriends. They took me to dinner at Christina's on our last evening. I thought that was very thoughtful and more than enough.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I'd just like to chime in that this Marriott is just fabulous--stayed in August 2013. It is a great space for multiple adults--lovely patios, great area, very good local buses, if you don't rent a car. One of our favorite places ever!
We have only split with family and we subsidize it all--but they always buy a nice dinner, etc. I think that you could also propose a budget and ask the couples to pay for extras that add up such as a minivan, train/entertainment tickets, groceries, etc. instead of a cash exchange, if you wish. Something like, "I could get the condo with my Marriott points and I was thinking that you could get these items...."

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It depends on the situation, the relationships, and the reciprocity of others.

If I am going anyway have booked the unit, have extra space then I invite people and ask them to buy a couple of dinners.

I have invited a bunch of my girlfriends out for a week and booked 2 large units. My treat. All of the rooms charges they divided among themselves and each paid a portion of mine. They paid way less than my cost of the units, but I viewed it as this case, I had a much a much better time with them all there and I had bonus weeks to spare.

Now I have been asked by someone that said, hey if you go here and get a larger unit I'd be interested in going. So depending on where the unit is, what it look to get it, etc, In those situations it ends up being a more sharing of expenses, if I am travel with them.

I only rent for profit if it is not direct family, and it I am not traveling with them.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't charge guests when they stay with us in our villas. I agree with others, you really want to make sure the terms of the deal are known upfront when you invite them to give them the opportunity to say no if they don't like the terms. If the invite is out there, it is kind of tacky to go back and ask them now.

While we don't have our guests pay for any of the costs for staying in the villa, some do give us a gift, others don't. We don't expect anything.

We do not charge our guests either, nor do we expect anything. Our guests always offer to pay for car rentals, a nice dinner out or groceries. When I invite guests it is often because I scored an upgrade and have an extra suite. We enjoy sharing with our friends.

Our last guests paid car rental, some gas and a nice dinner and then when we returned, I received a notice from our church that they had made a gift in our honor. That was such a nice gesture. (We all belong to the same church.)

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
We only invite friends that we are comfortable asking to split the cost. We "charge" them 40% of the maintenance fees since we always take the master bedroom and they get the smaller one or lock-off portion. Never been a problem, they are happy to pay. Still a deal for them. We split the car rental and groceries.
When we invite nieces and nephews and/or our married son and his wife the place is free but we expect them to cover their portion of the bill when eating out.