• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welk Ownership

_Bryan_

Reaction score
Hi All,

Like the sticky says, I found TUG and saved thousands (or am in the process of saving thousands). So thank you all so much for that!

Last Saturday, I got suckered. They offered us 240,000 points for $24,000, and made it sound like a great deal. Of course, I did my due diligence and realized that I needed to immediately rescind, which I'm in the process of doing. I gave the developer a call to give them a heads up, and of course they're trying to sales pitch me again.

The current pitch is $12,000 for the same 240,000 points, with about $2,000 (by my calculation, not theirs) in added bonuses (7 night cruise for 2, round-trip airfare for 2, etc). They also have claimed a few things that I won't get if I purchase through a reseller rather than them. Some of the things the listed were Getaway Deals through II & Bonus Time nights at Welk resorts.

I replied telling them that according to my research, the Getaway deals were available to any II member. He responded that because Welk is "platinum" or "premier" level resort, they could book getaways up to a year in advance, while through a reseller, I'd only get 30 days to book (and thus much lower availability). Is this true in TUG experience?

The other major point he had was that Welk retains Right of First Refusal, and that at any price equivalent to or less than about $8,000 for that 240,000 points, they would step in and make the purchase rather than letting it be re-sold. Is this true?

I'm still not inclined to go with this new offer, just because they already tried to hose me so bad... But he's got me thinking again.

What do you guys think?

Appreciate the great community you guys have put together!

-- edit --
The other thing he said that II won't offer through a reseller, and thus I could only get through them was 2 for one exchanges on II. Meaning, put up 240,000 points on II, and receive 2 weeks in a 2br in return (with one having some blackouts and the other being unrestricted). Is it really true you only get that through the developer?

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
certainly seen them sell for far less than $8000....300 and 500k package sell for less than 2 on ebay all the time.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I replied telling them that according to my research, the Getaway deals were available to any II member. He responded that because Welk is "platinum" or "premier" level resort, they could book getaways up to a year in advance, while through a reseller, I'd only get 30 days to book (and thus much lower availability). Is this true in TUG experience?

It must have been uncomfortable for him when he pants burst into flames.

I can buy getaways with both of my II memberships up to 9 months in advance. I may be able to book up to a year in advance, but I never plan that far ahead.
My Shell was resale, cost me $1. and I have another II membership via another resale for a boutique resort that I paid $53. for. Both allow me the getaways beyond 30 days.

Here's some resales for Welk Platinum. http://www.calresorts.com/Welk-Resorts-Mountain-Villas.html

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
-- edit --
The other thing he said that II won't offer through a reseller, and thus I could only get through them was 2 for one exchanges on II. Meaning, put up 240,000 points on II, and receive 2 weeks in a 2br in return (with one having some blackouts and the other being unrestricted). Is it really true you only get that through the developer?

I guess if his pants were already on fire, he didn't think it would matter to tell some more lies.

I get the special AC offers from II. I don't use them, but I do get them and you can see in my above post how much I spent to earn that benefit.

_Bryan_

Reaction score
certainly seen them sell for far less than $8000....300 and 500k package sell for less than 2 on ebay all the time.

Interesting. According to some other sources, the ebay sales typically get ROFR'd.

presley said:
It must have been uncomfortable for him when he pants burst into flames.

I can buy getaways with both of my II memberships up to 9 months in advance. I may be able to book up to a year in advance, but I never plan that far ahead.
My Shell was resale, cost me $1. and I have another II membership via another resale for a boutique resort that I paid $53. for. Both allow me the getaways beyond 30 days.

Here's some resales for Welk Platinum. http://www.calresorts.com/Welk-Resor...in-Villas.html

Thanks! I had actually put in an email to Brent (the proprietor of that site). I'm mostly just curious what the success rate of a sale is vs. a ROFR at this point.

It sounds like the only perk I'd even kind of be losing is the "Bonus Time" though, which seems pretty negligible to me... Certainly not worth several thousand dollars.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting. According to some other sources, the ebay sales typically get ROFR'd.

still cheaper than buying from welk directly =)

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that you would miss out on bonus time. I do not own Welk, so I can't say for sure. The reseller in my above post would know.

If you are genuinely concerned that a resale contract will be ROFR, remember you can always offer to pay more than the list price. For example, there is a similar package for sale on the that resale site listed for $3500. You can offer to buy it for $7K if you'd rather do that.

_Bryan_

Reaction score
I don't believe that you would miss out on bonus time. I do not own Welk, so I can't say for sure. The reseller in my above post would know.

If you are genuinely concerned that a resale contract will be ROFR, remember you can always offer to pay more than the list price. For example, there is a similar package for sale on the that resale site listed for $3500. You can offer to buy it for $7K if you'd rather do that.

Yeah, good point. I certainly don't want to pay more if I don't need too... And that reseller pointed out that even if it does get ROFR'd, that entitles me to a 100% refund where I can just try again with a different re-sale. Since I'm not on any kind of immediate timing schedule, that seems like a great option to find that actual line where they truly do ROFR.

It seems pretty obvious that (once again) there's really no reason to buy through the resort. I left the developer a voice message yesterday telling him I was confident I could get what he was offering for $5,000 or less. I gave him 24 hours to get back to me if he could match that price... Rescission letter goes in the mail this afternoon either way :)

Thanks again for your great advice.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Bryan, look for the thread started by Liz Spada Wolf as she is selling her 300k points in Welk. Liz is great and would be a good person to deal with if you are brill interested in buying resale.

Mike