• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal and Mexico grocery questions

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
First can we bring things like peanut butter, popcorn stuff like this into Mexico? Do we have to claim these items upon entering Mexico?

At the resort do they have small containers of condiments and other things? I hate buying large bottles only to throw them away.

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
They had salt in our unit at the Royals...first time I've ever seen that!

We brought a few things in sealed packages that we felt we would not be able to find in Cancun (like Instant Breakfast). You do not have to declare anything like that...but you can't bring fruit or veggies in.

The Royals store sells a lot of stuff, and of course you can order grocery delivery from Cancun Valet too. I thought the yogurt in Mexico was really cool because of the unique flavors.

Sharon

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are ordering thru both places. Can't seem to get 2 liter bottles of Coke with Cancun Valet. Hubby is real undecided on beer. He loves his Miller Lite which isn't sold in Mexico. I told him to just stick with Corona's. :)
It's not like we are big drinkers anyway.

JEFF H

Reaction score
Each Royal resort has a well stocked mini-market that has small sizes of most every condiment you could want.
They stock beer,soda,fresh,canned and frozen food items and there is really no reason to order groceries thru cancun valet or the royals inadvance for delivery.

I would Caution thoes that plan to not declare food items you are bringing into Mexico.
If you are selected for search and found with items not allowed you can be fined.
The Mexican customs form asks if you have any products made from plant or animal and most food items do fall under this catagory. its very simple to check this box and cover yourself.
I have had food items seized at the cancun airport by Mexican customs in the past and the rules seem to change with the wind.

doggiesdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
JEFF H said:
Each Royal resort has a well stocked mini-market that has small sizes of most every condiment you could want.
They stock beer,soda,fresh,canned and frozen food items and there is really no reason to order groceries thru cancun valet or the royals inadvance for delivery.

I would Caution thoes that plan to not declare food items you are bringing into Mexico.
If you are selected for search and found with items not allowed you can be fined.
The Mexican customs form asks if you have any products made from plant or animal and most food items do fall under this catagory. its very simple to check this box and cover yourself.
I have had food items seized at the cancun airport by Mexican customs in the past and the rules seem to change with the wind.

I agree with Jeff. There is no reason to bring food with you. The Royals have just about anything you might want including peanut butter and jelly. Cancun also has the same stores for grocery shopping as we have here. Bring your smile and have a good time. The rest is waiting for you there.

Mike

Joe L

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Mike. There are huge grocery stores downtown that have everyting u might need. We usually shop at the Royals store the first day for the essentials for that night. The next morning we have the breakfast buffet then we go grocery shopping downtown. We take the bus there and cab back.

lizhecht

TUG Member
Reaction score
They sell small amounts in the Royals grocery store that are just about right for a week. I usually buy the jar and take it home with me or give it to the maid at the end of the week. But don't just leave it in the fridge and write her a note that you gave it as a gift so she isnt accused of stealing.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
I always bring just a few items to get us by until we go shopping. Fruit, vegetables and meats are not a good idea. Last time I went through customs inspection, I had no problems, but the previously mentioned 3 no-nos were not something I had brought with me.

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I had only planned on peanut butter, my popcorn, coffee, teabags, things that I'm not sure I can get of "my brands". Oh ya, forgot my low-cal cranberry juice for my vodka. :D

kasha

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from the Sands this week. We have 2 young children so we always bring a jar of peanut butter, a jar of spaghetti sauce ($$$ in Cancun for some reason) and pop corn. We then have grocery delivery from Cancun Valet for Saturday afternoon (for $20 you can't go wrong). We then fill in with other misc items during the week from the Royals grocery store. I don't see why anyone would want to waste half a vacation day shopping downtown for groceries?? For 20 bucks have Cancun Valet do it for you. We have always had salt, pepper and coffee filters already left in the room for 5 straight years now.
I've found over the years that I really like Dos Equis beer (Bud Light drinker). It's 10.85 pesos per can in the Royals store.
HAVE FUN!

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on this one Kasha!! ;) There is no way I want to grocery shop!! I don't like to do it at home let alone on vacation. We have ordered groceries so I'm excited not to have to mess around with shopping. We actually ordered from both Cancun Valet and the resort.

lizhecht

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wait I have to put my two cents in, I love to grocery shop in Cancun! Its fun to see all the different things I can get. I love the beautiful vegetables which I can't buy in the North East US until late august. I enjoy the breads that you pick out by hand and I especially like to see the differences in the common brands and how they are packaged in Mexico.
But I also bring some things I don't want to buy too much of, like sugar, microwave popcorn, and a couple of emergency packages of easy mac.
Spaghetti sauce? I'd be too afraid it would break in my bags.

cymomtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Liz, going shopping is the highlight of our trip. The lime peanuts we have to stock up on to bring home. There are some many things to see at the store and try. We are in Cancun for two weeks so a couple of hours at Sams and Walmart to shop are fun and interesting.

kasha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Liz

Spaghetti sauce comes in plastic bottles now! The wife packs real well. :)
With the spaghetti and having two kids under10 makes for 2 meals (a real $$$ saver). :p

quezsmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
lizhecht said:
Wait I have to put my two cents in, I love to grocery shop in Cancun! Its fun to see all the different things I can get. I love the beautiful vegetables which I can't buy in the North East US until late august. I enjoy the breads that you pick out by hand and I especially like to see the differences in the common brands and how they are packaged in Mexico.
But I also bring some things I don't want to buy too much of, like sugar, microwave popcorn, and a couple of emergency packages of easy mac.
Spaghetti sauce? I'd be too afraid it would break in my bags.

I agree! Every year we have a fight over who gets to go to Costco to do the shopping. It seems like 1/2 of our party loves to go and the other half don't mind staying back. I love seeing all the new things they have and if you go early enough we get it done in 2 or 3 hours including our travel time. We tend to have a huge group ( approx. 20 people) so it's really worth it to spend a few hours buying cases of beer, water, soda, etc. We save tons of money and the ones doing the shopping love it. We made 3 meals (dinner) for approx $9/person. You can't go wrong with that! I have also gotten some really cool clothes at the Costco in Cancun that I can't find in the States. I also had to return a pair of pants that didn't fit and didn't have any problems returning them to our local Maryland Costco. I guess it's all about what you enjoy. My hubbie would rather spend the day sleeping on the beach so it all works out!

Jan

Enrico

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does a U.S. Costco membership entitle one to shop at Costco's in Mexico? We were given a "day" pass for the Costco in Cabo, but they seemed reluctant and it was sort of a hassle.

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, your US Costco membership does not work in Mexico. But, they will give you a day pass in Cancun and it is not a hassle. Just tell them at the front door, and they will have you go to the member services desk. It doesn't take long at all. Also, I have notived, that no mater when we have gone to Costco (although we normally go on Sunday am or Saturday eveninng) it is not crowded! It is nothing like the crowds at the Costcos here in Tucson. It is actually a pleasant shopping experience!

Michelle :)

cymomtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not shopped at Costco but my Sams card works fine. The only thing I have found to not work in Cancun is US gift cards. Sams and Walmart will not accept US gift cards (at least before Wilma).