• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New MVCI opening Aug 1, 2015. Washington DC Mayflower

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Pretty big deal-especially location. Just got this email. Unfortunately its all an image so I can't post it.

71 rooms
Start booking TOMORROW
Occupy August 1.

Email was from a MVCI salesman that sends his own newsletter. Very reliable.

Here's some of the email, but no graphics:

You asked me to stay in touch, you are the first to know!

Our newest Marriott Vacation Club property is the Mayflower in WASHINGTON, DC
This will be a spectatular and iconic vacation destination in the heart of DC.

Start booking July 9th for arrivals after August 1st. Watch your owner website.

There are guestrooms, deluxe guestrooms and junior suites. I will have more details and points charts later.

Last edited:

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Interesting. The Marriott website is still taking reservations for this Autograph collection hotel into August. Wondering how the changeover will take place and what the availability will be once it opens for MVCI reservations.
Will keep checking on Marriott site.
Thanks for the info.
Brian

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Interesting. The Marriott website is still taking reservations for this Autograph collection hotel into August. Wondering how the changeover will take place and what the availability will be once it opens for MVCI reservations.
Will keep checking on Marriott site.
Thanks for the info.
Brian

I wonder if it remains both. I think there are more than 71 rooms there. Mayflower is a world famous hotel. I imagine they will keep some hotel business going. I can reserve into the fall.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
This is already listed in the Explorer collection. Sounds to me like just more hype about sales folks calling hotels in the Explorer collection a "MVC property".

Its likely they have just renewed the Explorer relationship. Its likely not coincidence that the existing postings for this place in the Explorer Collection ends on July 31, 2015 and the announcement is for August 1st.

Last edited:

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is just a glorified hotel. I am sure that they will not have MVCI amenities or activities......

Another reason why the urban locations do nothing for me.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
If this is truly an MVCI property, as opposed to the Explorer Collection, I would have expected them to tout it at the presentations where they announced new MVCI properties in Miami, San Diego and the Big Island of Hawaii. But it is possible, especially if only 71 rooms are involved.

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree - coming from sales it is likely just Explorer collection. An acquisition like that would have been discussed at the earlier corporate meetings.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't the rooms need, at a minimum, a kitchenette? The Mayflower rooms are mere hotel rooms. Here is a Marriott corporate press release from May 2015:

05/07/2015
Autograph Collection Hotels Welcomes The Iconic Mayflower Hotel In Washington, D.C., to Its Distinctive Portfolio of Independent Hotels
The Mayflower Hotel

Bethesda, MD, USA – MAY 6, 2015 – Autograph Collection Hotels, Marriott International’s distinctive portfolio of independently-rich, one-of-a-kind hotels, welcomes today the newly renovated Washington, D.C., landmark, The Mayflower Hotel. This new addition brings the Collection to 82 hotels worldwide.

The Mayflower Hotel lobbyOnce a part of Renaissance Hotels within the Marriott International family of lifestyle brands, The Mayflower Hotel now joins Autograph Collection Hotels, a group of strikingly independent hotels that are each ‘exactly like nothing else’. From The Algonquin

Hotel Times Square to the Cosmopolitan Hotel of Las Vegas and beyond, each Autograph Collection Hotel maintains its own individual style, flair and history, offering guests the rich experience of an independent hotel stay while still supplying all the benefits of Marriott Rewards®, the brand’s award-winning guest loyalty program.

The Mayflower Hotel, listed in the National Register of Historic places, opened in 1925 and has since hosted D.C.’s power scene and iconic figures, filling the hotel with a quintessentially capital spirit – and with a signature appeal as iconic as the hotel itself. It is one of the District of Columbia’s most revered hotels, a place filled with old-world elegance and steeped in the history of America’s capital.

In conjunction with the hotel’s rebranding as part of Autograph Collection Hotels, The Mayflower completed its final phase of a top-to-bottom renovation, with all 583 rooms and 74 suites undergoing a stylish makeover. The $20 million rooms project, spearheaded by The Gettys Group design firm, maintained the 10-story hotel’s historic pedigree while updating its look, presenting a sophisticated blend of elegance, grace, and contemporary taste and outfitting each guest room with the latest amenities.

“We are excited to welcome The Mayflower Hotel to the Collection, as we near our 100th hotel, which we expect to reach later this year. The Mayflower's rich history, iconic reputation, and independent spirit in the local Washington, D.C. community make it an obvious choice for Autograph Collection Hotels. The new transformation pays homage to the hotel’s past while dressing it up in grand style and remaining current. Like the rest of our portfolio of independently owned hotels, this latest addition is one-of–a-kind and true to the brand’s mantra of being ‘exactly like nothing else,” explains Julius Robinson, Vice President, Autograph Collection Hotels.

The distinctive new room designs and finishes take inspiration from the hotel’s regal past while emphasizing its present day relevance and vitality. Throughout its 90-year history, The Mayflower Hotel has always been known for its sense of style and sophistication. That beautiful elegance remains in place, with a crisp palette of warm grays complemented with furnishings of refined wood, stone, glass and jewel-toned upholstery, giving each room a residential feel that features sleek modern finishes and movable seating areas, easily customized for the purpose of the guest’s stay.

A playful addition to the décor is the exclusive signature wall, a vinyl re-creation of the hotel’s guest book displayed on the wall behind the bed, complete with artistic versions of signatures of famous guests including President John F. Kennedy, Amelia Earhart, Winston Churchill, Sophia Loren and J. Edgar Hoover.

Additional featured artwork includes a collection of prints paying homage to the hotel’s time-honored tradition of cameo silhouettes – albeit with a modern flourish. The rooms also feature classic vintage-inspired black-and-white basketweave marble bathroom floors accented with woodtone washstand-style vanity, contrasted with a warm black-on-plum paisley-inspired wall vinyl.

Moving into the 21st Century also means that The Mayflower now offers increased bandwidth for enhanced high-speed Internet access, as well as “smart thermostats” run with a chip embedded in the guest’s key card, which communicates with the air-conditioning unit when the room is occupied in order to adjust temperatures accordingly.

From its commanding post on Connecticut Avenue, The Mayflower places guests perfectly in the city center – The National Mall, business district and fashionable Georgetown in easy striking distance. Nearby are the Shaw, Dupont Circle and Foggy Bottom neighborhoods, and the U Street Corridor with their many shops, restaurants, nightclubs, art galleries, and music venues.

About Autograph Collection
Autograph Collection Hotels celebrates a collection of independent leaders in film, art, design and literature by curating one-of-a-kind travel experiences at more than 75 luxury lifestyle hotels found in the world’s most desirable destinations. Exactly like nothing else, each hotel has been hand selected for its distinction as an iconic landmark, for its remarkable design or for its best-in-class resort amenities. For more information please visit www.autographhotels.com, or explore our social media channels to learn more about championing the independent spirit:

Facebook: www.facebook.com/AutographCollection
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Autograph
Tumblr: http://autographcollectionhotels.tumblr.com/
Instagram: www.instagram.com/AutographHotels

Marriott International’s luxury and lifestyle brands portfolio currently includes The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, EDITION, JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, the Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, AC Hotels by Marriott and Moxy Hotels. Accounting for approximately 25 percent of the company’s system-wide pipeline, Marriott expects to add more than 200 luxury and lifestyle hotel projects over the next several years, reflecting over $15 billion of investment by the company’s owners and franchisees.

Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAR) Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAR) is a global leading lodging company based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, with more than 4,200 properties in 80 countries and territories. Marriott International reported revenues of nearly $14 billion in fiscal year 2014. The company operates and franchises hotels and licenses vacation ownership resorts under 19 brands, including: The Ritz-Carlton®, BVlgari®, EDITION®, JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott Hotels®, Delta Hotels and Resorts®, Marriott Executive Apartments®, Marriott Vacation Club®, Gaylord Hotels®, AC Hotels by Marriott®, Courtyard®, Residence Inn®, SpringHill Suites®, Fairfield Inn & Suites®, TownePlace Suites®, Protea Hotels® and Moxy Hotels®. Marriott has been consistently recognized as a top employer and for its superior business ethics. The company also manages the award-winning guest loyalty program, Marriott Rewards® and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® program, which together surpass 80 million members. For more information or reservations, please visit our website at www.marriott.com and for the latest company news, visit www.marriottnewscenter.com.

NOTE: The statements about the expected future growth of Autograph Collection hotels and Marriott’s luxury and lifestyle portfolio, and the amount of anticipated investment by owners and franchisees, are “forward looking statements" within the meaning of federal securities laws, not historical facts, and are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, including supply and demand changes for hotel rooms; competitive conditions in the lodging industry; relationships with clients and property owners; the availability of capital to finance hotel growth; and other risk factors identified in Marriott International, Inc.'s most recent annual report on Form 10-Q; any of which could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in or implied by our statements. These statements are made as of the date of this press release, and we undertake no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise

Contacts:
Verona Carter
verona.carter@marriott.com

Tammy Peters
tammy@ballantinespr.com

Last edited:

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. Cool news. Thanks. When I stayed there earlier in the year I thought the room could be a MVC unit. There was a large living room, kitchenette area (don't recall if there was a stove but the room was large and it definitely could accommodate a full kitchen) large bedroom and a bathroom. Very spacious.

Nice addition. Thank you for sharing.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If this is truly an MVCI property, as opposed to the Explorer Collection, I would have expected them to tout it at the presentations where they announced new MVCI properties in Miami, San Diego and the Big Island of Hawaii. But it is possible, especially if only 71 rooms are involved.

I would also think that if it was an on-boarding of a new MVCI property, we would have seen conveyances to the trust. It would also have likely been mentioned long before now just like San Diego, Miami, and Big Island. No new property here, just Explorer Collection. Odd that they would tout this if it is already in the Explorer Collection.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
71 rooms

The Mayflower completed its final phase of a top-to-bottom renovation, with all 583 rooms and 74 suites undergoing a stylish makeover.

It will be interesting to see if this is truly just the Explorer collection, or if in fact this is an addition to MVC, which would be another example (with Big Island) of Marriott converting a portion of an existing hotel to timeshares. If the Mayflower has 657 rooms, I believe 80% is considered a highly successful occupancy rate for a hotel, and if Mayflower is near that target, perhaps selling off 71 rooms of idle capacity to timeshares (and having owners who share the maintenance) makes sense. Assuming you maintain your number of guests, doesn't this increase the occupancy percentage, while finding a cost-sharing partner? :shrug:

I note that HGVC is doing the same thing -- converting an entire building at Hilton Waikoloa Village to timeshares, which makes sense because I believe their occupancy rate across the property has not recovered since the Great Recession.

I will be curious to see how this plays out.

Best,

Greg

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
New DC location is announced on opening page of my-vacationclub.com

And after checking the MVC Collection, you can book it just as any other MVC Collection property.

I stand corrected....not just Explorer Collection hype.

Looks like 4,250 points for a week in August in a Jr. Suite

According to the website....

Marriott Vacation Club® at The Mayflower sets the stage for remarkable vacations. Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., the iconic Mayflower hotel is proudly listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Owners will have access to this renowned property beginning August 1, 2015, initially as an exchange usage of their ownership through the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
New DC location is announced on opening page of my-vacationclub.com

And after checking the MVC Collection, you can book it just as any other MVC Collection property.

I stand corrected....not just Explorer Collection hype.

Looks like 4,250 points for a week in August in a Jr. Suite

Website is down at the moment for me. Likely to make updates for this?

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Website is down at the moment for me. Likely to make updates for this?

First, I do not see this as a week long destination.... But notwithstanding, what is the description of the junior suite? Will these "Villas" be on a separate floor with a separate entrance and separate amenities (such as activities or a lounge exclusive to MVCI owners) or are the MVCI rooms co-mingled with the run of the mill hotel rooms?

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
From MVCI website:

Marriott Vacation Club® at The Mayflower sets the stage for remarkable vacations. Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., the iconic Mayflower hotel is proudly listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Owners will have access to this renowned property beginning August 1, 2015, initially as an exchange usage of their ownership through the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program.

Updated room design that blends historic luxury and modern style
Located in the heart of the downtown district, steps away from Dupont Circle
Surrounded by historic attractions, cultural arts venues, famous shopping, dining and more

Room Amenities
Marriott Vacation Club® at The Mayflower is infused with a sense of refined luxury, with gorgeously designed rooms and suites that feature thoughtful perks like plush bedding and high-end bath products. High-speed Internet and flat-screen TVs help you relax and stay connected.

Accommodations Overview
Guest Room, 2 Doubles; Guest Room, 1 King; Deluxe, Guest Room, 2 Doubles; Executive Suite, 1 King; Junior Suite, 1 King, Sofabed
Updated room design, blending historic luxury and modern style
Updated marble bathrooms showcase wood tone washstand-style vanities and modern wall vinyl
In order to better accommodate owners and guests with special needs, we encourage you to contact the resort directly, prior to your scheduled arrival.
Room Details
General Amenities:
Air conditioning
Alarm clock
Crib/playard (upon request)
Electrical adapters (upon request)
Individual climate control
Iron and ironing board
Luxurious bedding — down comforters and cotton-rich linens
Mini refrigerator
Pillows: down/feather/foam
Rollaway bed (upon request)
Safe
Bathroom Amenities
Bathrobe
Hair dryer
Room Entertainment:
Satellite TV
Movies, videos, pay-per-view
Floor Plans
Guest Room, 2 Doubles
Deluxe, Guest Room, 2 Doubles
Executive Suite, 1 King
Junior Suite, 1 King, Sofabed
Guest Room, 1 King

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
This location is now on the "MVCI Resort List" take a look at the footnote.

Marriott Vacation Club Resort Directory

Marriott Vacation Club offers resort ownership in premier destinations worldwide with the option to exchange vacations at other great Marriott locations and much more. We offer distinctive resorts featuring one-, two- or three-bedrooms featuring comfortable, spacious living and dining areas, master bedroom and bath, private balcony in some villas, full kitchen, multiple televisions, washer/dryer and many more amenities. Marriott Vacation Club designs and builds spectacular resorts, setting the stage for our Owners to enjoy a lifetime of awesome vacations.

United States and Caribbean

Arizona
Phoenix
Marriott’s Canyon Villas at Desert Ridge®

California
Palm Desert
Marriott’s Desert Springs Villas
Marriott’s Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott’s Shadow Ridge
Newport
Marriott’s Newport Coast® Villas††
South Lake Tahoe
Marriott’s Grand Residence Club®, Lake Tahoe
Marriott’s Timber Lodge®

Colorado
Breckenridge
Marriott’s Mountain Valley Lodge
Vail
Marriott’s StreamSide

Florida
Ft. Lauderdale
Marriott’s BeachPlace Towers
Marco Island
Marriott’s Crystal Shores
Miami
Marriott’s Villas at Doral
Orlando
Marriott’s Cypress Harbor
Marriott’s Grande Vista
Marriott’s Harbour Lake
Marriott’s Imperial Palms
Marriott’s Lakeshore Reserve
Marriott’s Royal Palms
Marriott’s Sabal Palms
Palm Beach Shores
Marriott’s Ocean Pointe
Panama City Beach
Marriott’s Legends Edge at Bay Point
Riviera Beach
Marriott’s Oceana Palms

Hawaii
Kauai
Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club
Marriott’s Kauai Lagoons - Kalanipu'u
Marriott’s Waiohai Beach Club
Lahaina
Marriott’s Maui Ocean Club
Oahu
Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club

Massachusetts
Boston
Marriott’s Custom House*

Missouri
Branson
Marriott’s Willow Ridge Lodge

Nevada
Las Vegas
Marriott’s Grand Chateau®

New Jersey
Galloway
Marriott’s Fairway Villas

South Carolina
Hilton Head Island
Marriott’s Barony Beach Club
Marriott’s Grande Ocean
Marriott’s Harbour Club
Marriott’s Harbour Point
Marriott’s Heritage Club
Marriott’s Monarch
Marriott’s Sunset Pointe
Marriott’s SurfWatch®
Myrtle Beach
Marriott’s OceanWatch at Grande Dunes®

Utah
Park City
Marriott’s MountainSide
Marriott’s Summit Watch

Virginia
Williamsburg
Marriott’s Manor Club at Ford’s Colony

Virgin Islands
St. Thomas
Marriott’s Frenchman’s Cove

Washington, D.C.
Marriott Vacation Club® at The Mayflower**

Outside of the United States
Aruba
Marriott’s Aruba Ocean Club*
Marriott’s Aruba Surf Club*

France
Marriott’s Village d’Ile-de-France*

St. Kitts and Nevis
Marriott’s St. Kitts Beach Club*

Spain
Marriott’s Club Son Antem*
Marriott’s Marbella Beach Resort*
Marriott’s Playa Andaluza*

Thailand
Marriott’s Phuket Beach Club*

Luxury
Global
The Ritz-Carlton Club®, Aspen Highlands*†
The Ritz-Carlton Club®, Lake Tahoe†
The Ritz-Carlton Club® and Residences, San Francisco†
The Ritz-Carlton Club®, St. Thomas†
The Ritz-Carlton Club®, Vail†

* Resort is available through the MVC Exchange Company only. Other resorts are available through the MVC Trust as well as the MVC Exchange Company (except for Phuket Beach Club, which is available through the Exchange Partner Resorts).
** This resort is an urban property with hotel room style units. Please refer to resort page for a specific description of the unit configurations and available services and amenities.
† Luxury Property. When accessing a Luxury Property, other than Accommodations located in The Ritz-Carlton Club, Vail, specific reservation rules apply. For more information, please refer to the Marriott Vacation Club DestinationsTM Exchange Procedures.
†† NEWPORT COAST© is a registered trademark of The Irvine Company and is used herein with permission. Marriott’s Newport Coast® Villas is not affiliated or associated with The Irvine Company.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
First, I do not see this as a week long destination.... But notwithstanding, what is the description of the junior suite? Will these "Villas" be on a separate floor with a separate entrance and separate amenities (such as activities or a lounge exclusive to MVCI owners) or are the MVCI rooms co-mingled with the run of the mill hotel rooms?

If you click on the "Discover the Newest Property" link on the homepage of the my-vacationclub.com site, then click room amenities, at the bottom are links to all of the room layouts (there are 5 of them, ranging from a normal guest room to the Jr. Suite).

Previously as an Explorer Collection option, the room nights ranged from 600 to 1,375 points per night and there was no description of what the "room" was (could have been just a standard hotel room). Now in the MVC Collection, at least in August, the rooms per night range from 425/575 (weekday/weekend) a night for a standard guest room up to 550/750 per night for the Jr. Suites. At least the rates are much more competitive than they were as an Explorer Collection option. That said, I can book what appears to be a Jr. Suite via Marriott.com on an August weekend night using AAA discount for $269 or if I advance purchase it... for $189.

I guess we just have to look at it as another points usage option, and at least its a better value than it was in the Explorer Collection.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am curious regarding whether MR Platinum members will receive the platinum benefits when staying using MVC points. It would be nice to get complimentary breakfast and/or CL access. The Mayflower recently converted from Renaissance, so I'm not sure what the platinum benefits are.

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am curious regarding whether MR Platinum members will receive the platinum benefits when staying using MVC points. It would be nice to get complimentary breakfast and/or CL access. The Mayflower recently converted from Renaissance, so I'm not sure what the platinum benefits are.
Platinum benefits vary by brand. In the case of the Mayflower in Washington DC, there will be two properties under the same roof:
  • The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection
  • Marriott Vacation Club at The Mayflower
As Platinum member, I would expect the usual full-service hotel benefits if I stay at the Autograph Collection hotel, but only MVC benefits if I stay with MVC.

Lounge Access/Free Breakfast is only at JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance, and Marriott Hotels (not at any property classified as a resort) — and not at Marriott Vacation Club

Marriott Platinum Elite Benefits

Last edited:

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
Pretty big deal-especially location. Just got this email. Unfortunately its all an image so I can't post it.

71 rooms
Start booking TOMORROW
Occupy August 1.

Email was from a MVCI salesman that sends his own newsletter. Very reliable.

Here's some of the email, but no graphics:

You asked me to stay in touch, you are the first to know!

This will be a spectatular and iconic vacation destination in the heart of DC.

Start booking July 9th for arrivals after August 1st. Watch your owner website.

There are guestrooms, deluxe guestrooms and junior suites. I will have more details and points charts later.

Thanks for posting. I was on marriott.com yesterday looking at rooms for August 1st. I would have liked to check this out and there are rooms available but not at the 30% last minute discount of points. I called and asked about the discount. They didn't even know the place was online as MVCI yet. I was told the 30% discount isn't automatic. It depends on the resort. I said that is news to me. All of the benefit information says 30% discount...doesn't say at participating resorts. However, I just checked the benefits page and it does, in fact, say based on availability. I'd never run into that before.

Last edited:

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Previously as an Explorer Collection option, the room nights ranged from 600 to 1,375 points per night and there was no description of what the "room" was (could have been just a standard hotel room). Now in the MVC Collection, at least in August, the rooms per night range from 425/575 (weekday/weekend) a night for a standard guest room up to 550/750 per night for the Jr. Suites. At least the rates are much more competitive than they were as an Explorer Collection option. That said, I can book what appears to be a Jr. Suite via Marriott.com on an August weekend night using AAA discount for $269 or if I advance purchase it... for $189.

We stayed at this location as part of explorer collection when it was first offered back in early 2011. I dont remember the details, but I do remember it being a standard hotel room. The hotel itself is a nice old historic hotel a few blocks NW of the White House. Not a bad location. I will be curious to see the points requirements for this property once they are released.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
Thanks for posting. I was on marriott.com yesterday looking at rooms for August 1st. I would have liked to check this out and there are rooms available but not at the 30% last minute discount of points. I called and asked about the discount. They didn't even know the place was online as MVCI yet. I was told the 30% discount isn't automatic. It depends on the resort. I said that is news to me. All of the benefit information says 30% discount...doesn't say at participating resorts. However, I just checked the benefits page and it does, in fact, say based on availability. I'd never run into that before.

VOA told me the 7th floor has been reserved for MVCI. I called the hotel itself to ask if any modifications have been made to the rooms of if they were the same as the rest of the building. She said they are the same as the rest of the building. This is fine with me. I'm glad to see they are putting some properties in urban areas.

My only problem with this reservation is that the 2 dbl guest room is 575 DC points (no discount) for Aug 1. Renting points on VPE at .48/pt the room will cost me 276.00. I can get same room same night on marriott.com w/AAA for 174 including taxes.

In contrast we are going to see Billy Joel at Fenway Park next Thursday. Using the 30% DC discount I was able to reserve 2 units at Custom House for 225 DC points each. Renting extra points on VPE at .48/pt each unit cost me 112.50 per unit. Reserving on marriott.com w/AAA would cost 449.00 each unit... That's the way it's supposed to work!

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
My only problem with this reservation is that the 2 dbl guest room is 575 DC points (no discount) for Aug 1. Renting points on VPE at .48/pt the room will cost me 276.00. I can get same room same night on marriott.com w/AAA for 174 including taxes.

And there lies the issue with these one-offs posing as MVC resorts.

And if you have MR status....you likely will get a free breakfast out of the less expensive cash stay as well!!!

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
The MVCI website now has more details about the Marriott Vacation Club at The Mayflower. If you log in, you can book this property through the "Use Vacation Club Points to Reserve My Vacation" function.

The point structure is an improvement over the Explorer Collection.

I realize that some people do not find city vacations appealing, but I'm happy to see city options added to the MVCI portfolio. There is so much to see and do in Washington, D.C.: museums, history, monuments, parks, great restaurants, and more.

However, I wish the city locations would have suites configured similarly to those at Marriott's Custom House on Boston, with a living room and kitchenette. On vacation, we like to say a week or more — so we appreciate a "home away from home" instead of a conventional hotel room.