• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2015 ] Westin Nanea on sale now

tperez

Reaction score
All,

Just getting ready to check out from WPORV and thought I'd post about the owner's update we attended. It turns out they have just started selling Nanea. The resort will have two views: Resort View and Ocean Front. Ocean Front are the hammerheads at the end of the buildings like they have at WKORV and I recall they were the same amount of staroptions at the OF at WKORV. At Nanea, there will not be any lockoffs, just 1bd, 2bd, and 3bd units. Not surprisingly, the drawings of the resort looked great.

Also, they are selling HomeOptions. What they presented us were the prices for blocks of 81,000, enough for a 1bd, which would convert 1:1 to staroptions if used elsewhere. Price was about $31,000 for 81,000 homeoptions. What we looked at were for Resort View so I'm not sure what the pricing would be for the Ocean Front. The HomeOptions were supposed to allow greater flexibility in reserving back to back weeks, partial weeks, and stays beginning in the middle of the week.

Interestingly, because my wife and I own at WKORV and WKORV-N, they offered to purchase back some of our timeshares as part of a package to buy into Nanea.

Also, there wasn't any discussion at all about a Westin trust or Flex program or whether these HomeOptions would work at any other SVN property to get priority reservations.

That's about all I can remember. We didn't buy into Nanea, but we did take the gift certificate and had dinner at the other Nanea... the restaurant here at WPORV:)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How much is the maintenance fee for 81K Homeoptions?

For future reference, a good way to collect data is to take pictures of documents and price lists when the sales person is out of the room, with your cell phone.

Last edited:

tperez

Reaction score
We didn't see any maintenance fee numbers because we never got that far in the presentation. I have to say that the Starwood update is very refreshingly non-hard sell. Once we said we weren't interested then we moved along pretty quickly, which was very appreciated.

I also own at Marriott and Diamond and have been to updates for each system very recently. They are tortuous marathons.

Also, unfortunately we left our phones in the room so didn't get any pix. Will have to remember that for next time!

jabak5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF (Maui) 2bd (even year)
WLR (Cancun) 2bd (odd year)
WKR (Scottsdale) 1bd Premium X 2 (both even)
Westin Flex annual
And that’s it, no more. Definitely done!
Interested in knowing if they quoted an "estimated" maintenance fee.

A SIDE NOTE, I always feel free to take a snapshot of documents, prices, whatever with my cell phone. In my opinion, you needn't wait until the salesperson is out of the room. They are trying to sell you something. It's not like top secret information.
I'm sure the sales person we bought our first Starwood Timeshare through was very happy we took snapshots of paperwork. Yes, we did purchase through the developer (Starwood) We're happy and that's all that counts! We had the salespersons name on a photo when we decided we wanted to purchase 3 months later and worked with that salesperson so he would get the credit.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have to say that the Starwood update is very refreshingly non-hard sell.

This completely depends on which sales person you get - we've had both good and bad.

tperez

Reaction score
No, sorry didn't get an estimated MF either. I should have thought about that but was so intrigued about this whole HomeOptions thing that it slipped my mind. I kept looking for the "trust" (I experienced the Marriott change into a "trust") so didn't think about MF. I was surprised not to hear any discussion at all about a trust.

One other thing I remember is that the Starpoints conversion was a little lower than what I get at WKORV or WKORV-N. There I get about 46,000 starpoints (plus a 10% bump because of my 4* elite status) for a 1 BD. Nanea was a very strange number, like 43,740 for the 81,000 HomeOptions conversion.

jabak5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF (Maui) 2bd (even year)
WLR (Cancun) 2bd (odd year)
WKR (Scottsdale) 1bd Premium X 2 (both even)
Westin Flex annual
And that’s it, no more. Definitely done!
This completely depends on which sales person you get - we've had both good and bad.

I guess we have been very lucky. Have been to about 7 (at WKORVN and WLR) have never had any pressure. Some have even been informative and never more than 30 minutes. On the other hand, attended a presentation for the new Hyatt on Maui in Nov. 2014 and it was extremely high pressure even after we said we weren't interested but just wanted so information on their system. Keep us the entire 90 minutes. That unsold us on Hyatt.

Lookingtobuy

Reaction score

I went today at wkorv to our owner update. They started selling 72 hrs ago. I asked about flex system. Sales rep said never heard of it. The new property is a deed. Your home options or flex options as they said are deeded to the property. They offered us 85,000 to put us to elite and offered to retro our two bdrm eoy in the north for 32,700. Also said we can get 100,000 star points plus credit of our explorer package and gold status and couple of minor things. Maintenance fees were around $1400 yearly according to the second guy. We refused. Property is said to open in 2017. I asked if they would buy ours back and put it towards the new one. He said no. New resort is also voluntary. Salesperson also said something about being unable to resell it or no value to person buying it. Was designed that way. I am assuming he means since it is a voluntary resort you cannot go to other resorts.

Kuljeet

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Sounds like they are following the WSJ-CV model for selling this resort. Very interesting how many flavors of ownership they are creating. It's amazing that anyone who isn't timeshare- and TUG-obsessed ever figures out how to use it.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I went today at wkorv to our owner update. They started selling 72 hrs ago. I asked about flex system. Sales rep said never heard of it. The new property is a deed. Your home options or flex options as they said are deeded to the property. They offered us 85,000 to put us to elite and offered to retro our two bdrm eoy in the north for 32,700. Also said we can get 100,000 star points plus credit of our explorer package and gold status and couple of minor things. Maintenance fees were around $1400 yearly according to the second guy. We refused. Property is said to open in 2017. I asked if they would buy ours back and put it towards the new one. He said no. New resort is also voluntary. Salesperson also said something about being unable to resell it or no value to person buying it. Was designed that way. I am assuming he means since it is a voluntary resort you cannot go to other resorts.

Kuljeet

Do the options convert to star points?
How many star options for II exchanges?
Is 85,000 a 1 bedroom oceanfront?

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
All,

Just getting ready to check out from WPORV and thought I'd post about the owner's update we attended. It turns out they have just started selling Nanea. The resort will have two views: Resort View and Ocean Front. Ocean Front are the hammerheads at the end of the buildings like they have at WKORV and I recall they were the same amount of staroptions at the OF at WKORV. At Nanea, there will not be any lockoffs, just 1bd, 2bd, and 3bd units. Not surprisingly, the drawings of the resort looked great.

:cheer: We will be at WPORV from 9/2-9/14(12 days), Caverns and Niihau diving :cheer:
Will attend owners update to try and get more complete info & pics of details.
May use my GoPro attached to my hat:D

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Do the options convert to star points?
How many star options for II exchanges?
Is 85,000 a 1 bedroom oceanfront?

Most likely an Oceanfront 1-bedroom is 95,700 HomeOptions to align with the recent bump at the other Maui resorts. A non-Oceanfront 1-bedroom is likely 81,000 HomeOptions.

Similarly, HomeOptions can likely be converted to Starpoints by multiplying the HomeOptions by 0.54.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I also wonder if the MFs will be based on star options or deeded view? If SOs than oceanfront would have higher MFs than Oceanview?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I don't think there will be a deeded view or a deeded size. You are buying UDI home options. MF will be based on Home option/Star option.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I don't think there will be a deeded view or a deeded size. You are buying UDI home options. MF will be based on Home option/Star option.

How would that affect resale? (still chuckling at salesman's 'worthless' comment)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Looks like tperez beat me to it... was busy with friends and moving villas at WPORV.

I meet with Sales on Fri, and was able to get some info, but typical with Sales they trend to respond to questions with a question (very irritating)

As mentioned (in other thread) - Nanea will have 3 and 2Bd OF, and 2 and 1Bd Resort View (no LOs). The 1Bd is 840sqft.

They usually do not give out prices unless you intend to buy (and I wasn't), but got a price for a 2Bd OF since I was curious on how it compared to our 2Bd - price is $76K (Today! :D), which is less than I thought they would be.

No detail on MFs - other other than 'comparable' to WKORV/N.

They are selling HomeResort Options (much like WSJ-CV) where you can reserve any time period (8-12 months) based on the amount of options - and any check-in date (not limited to Fri-Sat-Sun check-in).

They did not leave any paperwork laying around - not that there was much. Of course they had my VOIs for potential to exchange for Nanea, but didn't persue because I was not buying.

I did get video and photos of the animated flyby and resort drawings - which I will post when I can upload.

Not sure where other person got their info - but not selling as deeds, but more like WSJ-CV.

Sales comment: Nanea is Voluntary and made it sound as if these are better for both seller and buyer - I called BS and backed up with facts (which they do not seem to appreciate)

As I was not on an official Owners Update (no spouse, no incentives) - I did not find them to be overly pushy, but I did find that their attitudes a bit annoying and condescending - like I was the problem with my pointed questions and how could I not buy (typical) - plus very rushed as I think they had some big fish biting. I was there to discuss something else - they mentioned that they just started selling Nanea. If I were to buy Nanea it would only be for a 1Bd OF which they do not offer, and tried to sell me a 2Bd OF which I do not need (and not interested in a 1Bd resort view).

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Looks like tperez beat me to it... was busy with friends and moving villas at WPORV.

I meet with Sales on Fri, and was able to get some info, but typical with Sales they trend to respond to questions with a question (very irritating)

As mentioned (in other thread) - Nanea will have 3 and 2Bd OF, and 2 and 1Bd Resort View (no LOs).
They usually do not give out prices unless you intend to buy (and I wasn't), but got a price for a 2Bd OF since I was curious on how it compared to our 2Bd - price is $76K (Today! :D), which is less than I thought they would be.

No detail on MFs - other other than 'comparable' to WKORV/N.

They are selling HomeResort Options (much like WSJ-CV) where you can reserve any time period (8-12 months) based on the amount of options - and any check-in date (not limited to Fri-Sat-Sun check-in).

They did not leave any paperwork laying around - not that there was much. Of course they had my VOIs for potential to exchange for Nanea, but didn't persue because I was not buying.

I did get video and photos of the animated flyby and resort drawings - which I will post when I can upload.

Do you recall whether the $76K was for a 2bd OF or a 2bd RV?

That seems about right for RV, but really low for OF.

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda taken aback by the single sink in the bathroom for the 1BR, and only single sink in the 2nd bathroom for the 3BR layout (needing to support guests from 2 bedrooms). FWIW.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Do you recall whether the $76K was for a 2bd OF or a 2bd RV?

That seems about right for RV, but really low for OF.

I agree it seemed to be lower than I thought, but sales guy said 2Bd OF - but again this was Sales. Actual price written on big piece of paper was $75,981.
I was inquiring to know how it compared to WKORV OFD. When I asked why this was so different than the OFD paper 'price' ($124K) - no response other than to divert questioning.

Why do they always write big on a piece of paper when describing 'deals' - like an elementary school teacher?

They had an iPad with sizes, but the info was incorrect as it had same picture deformed all 3 floor plans (just 1 Bd floor plan) - so good to see links to floor plans.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Wow, I'm surprised they only have kitchenettes and not full kitchens. That lost countertop space is significant to me. Will be curious to see if refrigerators are full size.

Interesting.

Best,

Greg

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I'm kinda taken aback by the single sink in the bathroom for the 1BR, and only single sink in the 2nd bathroom for the 3BR layout (needing to support guests from 2 bedrooms). FWIW.

I agree - also will these extra bedrooms have King or Queen size beds - I suspect Queen size. We are so used to King size, that sleeping on a Queen (like studio at WPORV) seems very confining.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
'Never heard of FLEX system'. Very interesting, indeed..

Kuljeet

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Wow, I'm surprised they only have kitchenettes and not full kitchens. That lost countertop space is significant to me. Will be curious to see if refrigerators are full size.

First Coral Vista, now Nanea. Reducing the kitchen footprint does allow them to squeeze more "living space" into smaller units. Perhaps also, changing demographics make full kitchens less necessary than they once were?

I was once handed the wrong folio when checking out of Harborside and noticed that the occupants had purchased multiple (expensive) meals every single day of the stay. Anecdotally, it seems like a lot of people don't use the kitchens other than to prepare breakfasts, a couple of casual meals, and frozen drinks. For those purposes, a kitchenette is totally fine.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Interesting.

Best,

Greg

This also is annoying - when asked questions like these - it always comes back to 'this is what our Owners prefer' - which is BS. The kitchenettes do not have sufficient counter or cooking space - annoys Robin to no end.