• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recommendations for a Key West resort

spoiledprincess

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow Timesharers :)
My family would like to travel to Key West over Week 30 (end July) 2016. We need a 2 BR, 2Bath villa. If anyone is familiar with Key West can you please offer some recommendations on your favorite resort? Thank you in advance!
diane

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the hammocks is on my wish list for key west...based on others reviews and pictures on vacation there!

sadly ive not yet stayed at a timeshare there, so other than wanting to go to this particular one...I cant help much!

clairebear

Reaction score
We have a unit at the Galleon and love it. You can't beat the location and the units were given a major renovation over the last few years.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
The Galleon is a wonderful resort and has the best location in Key West.

The Hammocks is in Marathon, a hefty drive from Key West, I own there.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have a unit at the Galleon and love it. You can't beat the location and the units were given a major renovation over the last few years.

This is one resort I never see for anywhere near $1 and I've been looking for a long, long time.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ha, clearly I need more coffee, i just read "keys" =)

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Wow. The Galleon looks really nice.
Ever see that in exchange?

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow. The Galleon looks really nice.
Ever see that in exchange?

I have seen peeps try to rent their RCI exchanges there so they must come up once in a while.

kool_kat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Tuscany and HGVC at Flamingo; DVC at Bay Lake Towers
I just matched for a 2 bedroom for the week of Labor Day next September at the Galleon. I literally put in the search last week. So there are definitely exchanges out there.

I'm glad to hear that you all recommend this place. That was the only resort I could find in RCI. Now to convince my husband that we need to go to Key West for our vacation...I've only been there on a cruise for a few hours, but loved it.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
it's a fun place, but...

There are certain parts of town that you might wish to avoid late at night if you have delicate sensibilities. Of course, that applies to just about anywhere, right? Also, some bars etc.. cater to a younger, louder crowd that can get quite drunk. I suppose that might have been my crowd once upon a time... I really like some of the places with music though. Very nice around happy hour too. Don't find myself out at midnight quite so much anymore. Or awake for that matter

have fun.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I know it's been done, but it is extremely difficult to get an exchange in Key West, or anywhere along the water in south Florida. When I see a resort available, it's usually a less than gold crown place on Ft Myers Beach or somewhere north of Ft Lauderdale. Once upon a time there was a guy who daily posted his conspiracy theory about being able to get "resorts on the beach".

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
it's a fun place, but...

There are certain parts of town that you might wish to avoid late at night if you have delicate sensibilities. Of course, that applies to just about anywhere, right? Also, some bars etc.. cater to a younger, louder crowd that can get quite drunk. I suppose that might have been my crowd once upon a time... I really like some of the places with music though. Very nice around happy hour too. Don't find myself out at midnight quite so much anymore. Or awake for that matter

have fun.

I was just discussing this with my wife and some friends. Key West is like two cities, one during daylight and one after the sun goes down and the tourists return to their resorts.

clairebear

Reaction score
Spoiled Princess, My husband and I are in our fifties and have been going to Key West annually for more than 12 years. We have never encountered wild, drunk young people on any of our visits. One reason could be because we're not out super late. Another could be because Key West is not an inexpensive place to vacation. ie, many younger people can't afford it.

I suggest you go to the Key West forum at TripAdvisor for more information.

p.s. I think you'd love the Galleon! Try to get a unit with either an ocean or marina view. They're the best.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
you really need to put in an ongoing search. we have had the Galleon twice, though ongoing search. they have a one in four rule. On our last visit, I was quite sick right before, and just when we got there, my husband had the same thing, so we spent the entire time in room and left early. now I am waiting for the four years to be up to go again.

joewillie12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spoiled Princess, My husband and I are in our fifties and have been going to Key West annually for more than 12 years. We have never encountered wild, drunk young people on any of our visits. One reason could be because we're not out super late. Another could be because Key West is not an inexpensive place to vacation. ie, many younger people can't afford it.

I suggest you go to the Key West forum at TripAdvisor for more information.

p.s. I think you'd love the Galleon! Try to get a unit with either an ocean or marina view. They're the best.
I think its because your not out late. I've been on Duval between 2-4am . It can get pretty wild out there......especially on weekends and holidays. Not my bag anymore either.

clairebear

Reaction score
You're right.....I couldn't stay awake until 2am if my life depended on it. :)

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
me either, I usually am up between 2 and 4 because of insomnia, but I don't go out.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
The crowds in Key West are pretty typical, except when there is a special event going on. You can imagine the difference between the people attracted to Hemingway Days and Gay Pride Days. The most famous of all is Fantasy Fest, where the girls tend to stroll around wearing body paint. Best thing to do is Google the Key West events and make sure there is nothing planned that you might not appreciate when you are in town.

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Galleon gets my vote. It is located very close to almost everything to do on Key West. My wife and I have some mobility problems and found we could easily walk to everything.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of great things about Key West - one of them is that it can be as wild or as mild as you want it to be. While there are lots of bars/restaurants and some folks over indulge, there's also lots that serve great food and music.

Some go for the bars, but don't forget the sight seeing, historical sites, water activites or do nothing and enjoy the weather and relaxation.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Hello fellow Timesharers :)
My family would like to travel to Key West over Week 30 (end July) 2016. We need a 2 BR, 2Bath villa. If anyone is familiar with Key West can you please offer some recommendations on your favorite resort? Thank you in advance!
diane

I recently stayed at the Coconut Mallory resort.
The 2 bedrooms have both bathrooms upstairs and no half bath downstairs which was a pain during the day.
It's in a quiet area of Key West.
Had a nice tiki bar and private marina.
Nice pool and hot tub.
Lots of drunk and high naked peeps at night while we were there.
Especially in the hot tub at night. :roll eyes:
I got this exchange from online inventory.

I also got an exchange for later this year to a 2 bedroom from the online inventory to Hyatt Beach House.

The Galleon seems to require an ongoing request.
I haven't exchanged in there but have friends who have several times.