• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SFX

jlm77

Reaction score
I read a post from sellingtimeshares.net today - 5 tips for HGVC owners. It mentions that HGVC is affiliated with SFX - San Francisco Exchange as well as RCI. Someone else posted this week about SFX.

I an not familiar with SFX. Can someone share some information. Am I missing out on something???

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
[Correction: Please see PigsDad and Hurnick's posts below for the correct info.]

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
[Correction: Please see PigsDad and Hurnick's posts below for the correct info.]

Last edited:

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
But does HGVC do bulk space banking with SFX?

No offense, but it's easy to get exchanges in Mexico with just about any exchange company - this would not attract me to SFX. YMMV

One benefit to book with HGVC via SFX is paying $76 reservation fee with HGVC instead of the $209 reservation fee with RCI.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But does HGVC do bulk space banking with SFX?

What does bulk space banking have to do with whether or not HGVC is affiliated with SFX??? There is clearly an affiliation, and that is what I was responding to. Not sure why you think affiliation == bulk space banking. :confused: (maybe I misread your response?)

No offense, but it's easy to get exchanges in Mexico with just about any exchange company - this would not attract me to SFX. YMMV

Not sure if you looked an the complete page I referenced. The affiliation with SFX allows HGVC members to book Grand Luxxe properties (which are NOT available via RCI) and also Club Donatello in San Francisco (non-Mexico). For someone who only owns HGVC, their affiliation with SFX can be a very useful benefit.

Kurt

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
No offense intended. Personally, I would not join SFX for access to those 4 properties. YMMV

*I deposited my Westin Ka'anapali week with SFX once, and was disappointed with the results, so I would be reluctant to deposit an expensive week with them again. IMNSHO, their inventory is very limited compared to II and RCI, so for me, it's not a good value.

If you own HGVC, and want to go to those 4 resorts, it looks like it would be a good value, assuming that the value of your HGVC deposit isn't more than just renting.

Inventory in SFX vs. II/RCI is limited, I"ll grant you that. But RCI (via HGVC) can't get you into the Grand Bliss/Grand Luxxe either. II can, but not via HGVC.

I chose to get an SFX membership as it's been significantly cheaper than RCI (for me). I can deposit my 2400 point Las Vegas week (1 br) and use it to get a 2 BR Grand Luxxe (get free 1 -> 2 bedroom upgrade), even with the extra $300 Grand Luxxe upcharge and $150 (I'm diamond level) exchange fee. Especially considering that my week at hilton for 2400 points "costs" about $400 in MF. Given that a 2 BR Grand Luxxe rents for around $2000/week, I think a total of $850 is quite reasonable. Especially if you have other people go (2 bedroom) and share the costs. And that doesn't take into account my bonus weeks or vacation cash I can use to drop the cost another $100 or so.

If I compared apples to apples, I'd take a 2 BR Grand Mayan, no additional charge and the $150 exchange fee. So that puts me at $550 vs. HGVC cost is 4800 points plus $200 RCI fee, so about $1000 for the same thing.

But I consider SFX an add-on. I would NEVER use the HGVC points to get into SFX directly via Hilton (WAY horrible of a deal). Go buy an SFX membership separately and supplement it with whatever else you have.

Just my opinion of course.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
*Corrected - Thank you for explaining - sounds like it can be a good deal for some owners.

Last edited:

Dojan123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does SFX allow the use of reclaimed points? I understand the Fiesta Americana does not. I want to go to Mexico in 2016 and would like to use some of my saved 2015 points.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've received Hilton resorts as exchanges through SFX 4 times. I have no idea how they got into SFX's inventory, but that's a good percentage of my exchanges.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No offense intended. Personally, I would not join SFX for access to those 4 properties. YMMV
HGVC members don't have to join SFX to have access to these six properties. Because of the affiliation with SFX, HGVC owners can use their points to directly book those properties -- we don't even speak to anyone at SFX.

You obviously have a beef with SFX (from your previous experience), but I just want to correct any misinformation that has been spread in this thread for anyone wanting to know how SFX and HGVC are affiliated.

Kurt

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Inventory in SFX vs. II/RCI is limited, I"ll grant you that. But RCI (via HGVC) can't get you into the Grand Bliss/Grand Luxxe either. II can, but not via HGVC.

I chose to get an SFX membership as it's been significantly cheaper than RCI (for me). I can deposit my 2400 point Las Vegas week (1 br) and use it to get a 2 BR Grand Luxxe (get free 1 -> 2 bedroom upgrade), even with the extra $300 Grand Luxxe upcharge and $150 (I'm diamond level) exchange fee. Especially considering that my week at hilton for 2400 points "costs" about $400 in MF. Given that a 2 BR Grand Luxxe rents for around $2000/week, I think a total of $850 is quite reasonable. Especially if you have other people go (2 bedroom) and share the costs. And that doesn't take into account my bonus weeks or vacation cash I can use to drop the cost another $100 or so.

If I compared apples to apples, I'd take a 2 BR Grand Mayan, no additional charge and the $150 exchange fee. So that puts me at $550 vs. HGVC cost is 4800 points plus $200 RCI fee, so about $1000 for the same thing.

But I consider SFX an add-on. I would NEVER use the HGVC points to get into SFX directly via Hilton (WAY horrible of a deal). Go buy an SFX membership separately and supplement it with whatever else you have.

Just my opinion of course.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to also pay $299.00 for the upgrade to diamond. So you must also add that into the cost. If HGVC, is affiliated with SFX, you MAY be able to get a free account, gold. Exchange fee is$189.00, and you pay for upgrades. Upgrades run from $199 to $299.00. It is a tiered system. With VIDA, I have a free membership and upgrade, at gold, and $189.00 exchange fee, but no yearly fee.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pigs dad - thank you - I stand corrected.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

jlm77

Reaction score
So how do you book with SFX? I've been a member since 2005 and have never heard of this program. I've done exchanges through RCI to Mexico, but if SFX offers a resort that is a better fit, it may be something to look at.

Looks like they are "more expensive - require more points." So I guess my next question is it worth it? Are the higher point value justify to the cost. I've not done any research on their resort offerings but assuming they are higher quality accommodations, which justifies the price. Are they comparable or greater than RCI's crown ratings.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to also pay $299.00 for the upgrade to diamond. So you must also add that into the cost. If HGVC, is affiliated with SFX, you MAY be able to get a free account, gold. Exchange fee is$189.00, and you pay for upgrades. Upgrades run from $199 to $299.00. It is a tiered system. With VIDA, I have a free membership and upgrade, at gold, and $189.00 exchange fee, but no yearly fee.
I think anyone who owns a timeshare they will accept can be a Gold member. Changes were made to their program a few months ago and while it costs $299. to become a diamond member, you can pay $699 and get a 10 membership. The 10 year deal sounds really good on a cost per year basis, but I couldn't fork over that much money for something that I "might" use.

It used to be my primary exchange company, but now the fees rival RCI. Gold members pay $209. for an exchange and additional fees if it is an upgrade.

So how do you book with SFX? I've been a member since 2005 and have never heard of this program. I've done exchanges through RCI to Mexico, but if SFX offers a resort that is a better fit, it may be something to look at.
From what others have posted, it sounds like you call HGVC and use your points to book those resorts. Since they are very high point requirements, you may be better off doing a regular exchange through SFX.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
.......From what others have posted, it sounds like you call HGVC and use your points to book those resorts. Since they are very high point requirements, you may be better off doing a regular exchange through SFX.

Correct, just call HGVC customer service and you can book Grand Mayan or Grand Luxxe for only $76 reservation fee.

Grand Mayan point values are reasonable at 1BR=3,400pts and 2BR=4800pts for 1 week.

Grand Luxxe point values are similar to Grand Waikikian.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does anyone know if booking directly through HGVC for one of the Grand Mayan properties allow you to bypass the 1 in 3 (or 4?) restrictions that RCI imposes?

Kurt

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Does anyone know if booking directly through HGVC for one of the Grand Mayan properties allow you to bypass the 1 in 3 (or 4?) restrictions that RCI imposes?

Kurt

Yes, booking thru HGVC bypasses the RCI 1 in 3(4) rule. I just talked to HGVC customer rep and there is no restriction for booking a Grand Mayan property through HGVC via SFX. You can book as often as you want, as long as there is availability.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

The new member plans are shown here:
http://www.sfxresorts.com/membership-programs/

I took a lifetime membership about 8 years ago ("lifetime" being 33 years or some odd number like that). I believe the cost back then was $1400 but they also gave me (2) 4-day cruises on Carnival which I took (probably "saved" about $800 total).

Yes, if you are a VIDA member (ie, you bought/own at the Mayan properties) they give you some sort of SFX membership and bonus weeks. But IMO, the cost for HGVC was significantly lower than VIDA membership, granted, I"m stuck with the 1-3 rule (or whatever as it changes all the time) with VIDA/RCI/SFX.

although II, from what I hear, has no 1-in-whatever rule for VIDA properties.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know about HGVC, but it's waived through SFX.

If you're referring to the 1-in-3 rule, no it's not. SFX still maintains a 1-in-3 rule, although now it's changed so that it's only through SFX.

Meaning:
2010 you booked via RCI (RCI also has its own 1-3 rule)
2011 you booked via SFX

That means the next time you can book via RCI is 2013
That means the next time you can book via SFX is 2014

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

Looks like they are "more expensive - require more points." So I guess my next question is it worth it? Are the higher point value justify to the cost. I've not done any research on their resort offerings but assuming they are higher quality accommodations, which justifies the price. Are they comparable or greater than RCI's crown ratings.

Book via HGVC? Never done it. Their point level is way too high vs. what I get with SFX directly.

(again, I can book a 2 BR Grand Mayan with SFX via their program--exchanging my 2400 point 1 BR HGVC Vegas/Flamingo).

BUT I had to pay to be an SFX membership (OK, I CHOSE to be a member).

I'd say SFX is greater than/equal to the QUALITY of the resorts in RCI. But their inventory/availability is significantly less, IMO (again, all depends on where you want to stay).

They seem (SFX) really strong in Mexico.

But it's not for everyone. I just feel that IF you want SFX properties, get a membership or exchange a week with your HGVC to SFX vs. booking SFX via HGVC directly due to the horrible (IMO) point requirements.

But again, I like to stay at the Grand Luxxe/Grand Bliss.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
1 in 3 or 4 rule

Forgive me for asking, but, what is this rule that everybody keeps talking about.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vida, has a rule that if you can only book thier resort, or RCI has the rule, of 1 in 3 so, if you book in 2015, you cannot book it for 3 years. SFX Does not honor that rule.

Last edited: