• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Presentation Today Park City- Offered Free Enrollment

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Went to a presentation today while staying at Marriott Mountainside. Incentive I took was 20,000 reward points. Presentation started with how great the point system was and how bad II was. According to the salesperson only 10% of owners are using II now. Mentioned a lot of new resorts New York, Washington DC. San Diego, Hawaii, Australia, Bali, and an island off of Hong Kong. He mentioned by the end of the year there would be 65 resorts in the system.

Point purchases started at 4,500 points, then 3,500 then 2,000, then 1,500 and the lowest purchase was 1,000 points. Points were 12.00+ and going up next month. Mtc fee 50 cents a point. For 1,500 points and above there was a discount off the $12.00 per point plus double your purchase in bonus points. 1,500 points were $19,000+. All purchases would include free enrollment of my weeks, which would cost $2,395. Declined to purchase.

I currently own a Silver Season Summit Watch worth 1,400 points and EOY Kauai Beach Club worth 3,375 points. The Kauai Beach Club unit was bought resale, but before the cut off date.

The person came in to offer the vacation package. 4 nights for $1,195 including 50,000 Marriott reward points and first declined. When we declined the closer said, "Oh I see your weeks are not enrolled, we can include free enrollment if you purchase the vacation package. So we decided to enroll. Figured over the next couple years will save a couple hundred in II fees as we always lock off and do 2 trades.

Now that we are enrolled, I was wondering if I an eligible to rent points from owners. What is the going rental rate? I have 2 weeks deposited in II now so I guess I will still have to use II to trade those weeks? I received a confirmation email my weeks are enrolled. Is there a website to go to? Any hints on scheduling? Is there any reason I should buy more points at this time?

Any hints on using the system would be appreciated.
Thanks

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We did the exact same thing. Going for 4 night over spring break in Tahoe with our encore package.

- Yes you can rent points. Going rate is .45-.55 a point.
- You should see the options for your points in your online account in a week or two.
-Yes, the weeks in your old account will have to be used up there

No reason to buy points now, you can rent for the same price as MF, with no upfront cost.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
The person came in to offer the vacation package. 4 nights for $1,195 including 50,000 Marriott reward points and first declined. When we declined the closer said, "Oh I see your weeks are not enrolled, we can include free enrollment if you purchase the vacation package. So we decided to enroll.

That was a good deal. Probably better than the original deal offered at the beginning for $600 I believe which included 500 free points. Congratulations....now it will be interesting to see if you like using points vs trading weeks.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Was the 4 night package at any resort or just the one you were staying at. Was it just for off season or anytime?
Certain specified resorts. I'll post the full list later if no one beats me to it.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
Are both your weeks acquired before the cut-off date? I bought mine after and hoping someone has an experience with getting it enrolled without having to purchase points.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
I currently own a Silver Season Summit Watch worth 1,400 points and EOY Kauai Beach Club worth 3,375 points. The Kauai Beach Club unit was bought resale, but before the cut off date.

The person came in to offer the vacation package. 4 nights for $1,195 including 50,000 Marriott reward points and first declined. When we declined the closer said, "Oh I see your weeks are not enrolled, we can include free enrollment if you purchase the vacation package. So we decided to enroll. Figured over the next couple years will save a couple hundred in II fees as we always lock off and do 2 trades.

So they offered to enroll you for free even though you had a resale week (bought prior to DC) if you bought the vacation package?

I just may be persuaded to attend a presentation at our upcoming visit at ShadowRidge just to get this offer. Have no intention of buying any points, but have been on the fence to enroll our 3 weeks (2 developer purchase and 1 resale bought early). But I just hate sitting thru all their "how wonderful DC is" spiel.

Also, since you just enrolled, do you have to pay the annual DC fee of $185 now or not til next year?

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
So they offered to enroll you for free even though you had a resale week (bought prior to DC) if you bought the vacation package?

I just may be persuaded to attend a presentation at our upcoming visit at ShadowRidge just to get this offer. Have no intention of buying any points, but have been on the fence to enroll our 3 weeks (2 developer purchase and 1 resale bought early). But I just hate sitting thru all their "how wonderful DC is" spiel.
Yes, when they offer you the encore downstairs, say "I thought my weeks would get enrolled with this offer." Did ours at Shadow Ridge.

Attached is the list of resorts.

We enrolled in June, and didn't have to pay the fee until the end of the year (for the next year).

Attachments

• encore.jpg
    encore.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 101

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The list of resorts attached is the same list I was presented. I do not know about the $185 enrollment fee for this year. I should have asked. I may try to get a few nights in New York when it opens if it is open by June.

Looking over the fine print the price is locked at $12.92 a point for 12 months and the stay must be completed in 18 months. Minimum purchase is 6 beneficial interests so 1,500 points to have the price locked in and the $1,195 applied to the purchase. This was not mentioned. Since I doubt I will be purchasing points this doesn't make a difference.

I was wondering if anyone has attended their encore presentation and how hard sell they were.

Will I eventually be getting a link to a website and some information that explains how to use the program?

The Summit Watch week was bought from developer and the Kauai week was bought pre cut off date- don't remember exactly when.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Will I eventually be getting a link to a website and some information that explains how to use the program?
Did you get your "Please confirm your enrollment" email? We got this about 2 weeks after the presentation.

About 3 weeks after confirming, we received a "Welcome to the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations exchange program!" email and the DC options showed up in our account.

No real documentation unless it came in the mail that I don't recall, but the 2nd email has a link to learning center: Vacation Club Learning Center

We never received any notice/invoice for DC dues until the December billing for 2016.

Powerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to the sales presentation at MFC and it was actually a very enjoyable experience. At the end was offered the option to enroll both of our resale weeks (pre 2010) for $695 without the encore stay and required presentation requirement. Also received $175 to attend today's presentation. Seemed like a good deal to me.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are both your weeks acquired before the cut-off date? I bought mine after and hoping someone has an experience with getting it enrolled without having to purchase points.

This is a good question and could make it worth purchasing a vacation package for some existing DC members.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

This is a good question and could make it worth purchasing a vacation package for some existing DC members.

The OP of the thread linked in post #5 indicated it was for pre 6/20/2010 external weeks. Not sure that they would offer what is a screaming deal when they offered what was close to extortion with the promotion that ended last year where they offered to enroll otherwise ineligible weeks by buying a certain number of trust points.

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
The OP of the thread linked in post #5 indicated it was for pre 6/20/2010 external weeks. Not sure that they would offer what is a screaming deal when they offered what was close to extortion with the promotion that ended last year where they offered to enroll otherwise ineligible weeks by buying a certain number of trust points.

Therein lies the rub. It appears that the 'enroll your weeks for free with purchase of an Encore package' offer applies only to 'pre-2010' resale weeks (an excellent offer to consider IMHO) versus the offer dioxide references that is for 'post-2010' weeks (which we also heard during our last presentation for our unenrolled post-2010 week) where you had to 'buy' the number of points your unit was worth in DC to be able to enroll it (which I agree with dioxide is ridiculous).

"Pre" versus "Post" makes all the difference in this conversation.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Therein lies the rub. It appears that the 'enroll your weeks for free with purchase of an Encore package' offer applies only to 'pre-2010' resale weeks (an excellent offer to consider IMHO) versus the offer dioxide references that is for 'post-2010' weeks (which we also heard during our last presentation for our unenrolled post-2010 week) where you had to 'buy' the number of points your unit was worth in DC to be able to enroll it (which I agree with dioxide is ridiculous).

"Pre" versus "Post" makes all the difference in this conversation.

The OP mentions that his week was Pre June 2010, but I don't see where it was a requirement to make the deal work. It would be interesting to find out.

Cobra1950

Reaction score
On top of the incentive discussed, Marriott is now willing to take back low value Bronze and Silver weeks of people no longer wanting to pay escalating maintenance fees (if they buy minimum DC points), Not a bad deal if you have two or three of these things with $1500+ per week each. I have been told this at two presentations in last 2 months!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
On top of the incentive discussed, Marriott is now willing to take back low value Bronze and Silver weeks of people no longer wanting to pay escalating maintenance fees (if they buy minimum DC points), Not a bad deal if you have two or three of these things with $1500+ per week each. I have been told this at two presentations in last 2 months!

MVW has been actively buying back Weeks for quite some time now although there is no guarantee that any certain Weeks will be accepted. (See details and discussion in this thread: Marriott is BUYING BACK TIMESHARES [2012 / Ongoing].) Did they say during your presentations if the Bronze and Silver Weeks that they'll take back as a Trust Points purchase incentive, are Weeks that won't be accepted in the buyback program? It's understandable if you didn't ask but I figured it was worth checking just in case. Thanks!

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
The OP mentions that his week was Pre June 2010, but I don't see where it was a requirement to make the deal work. It would be interesting to find out.

When the free enrollment incentive was first introduced and since then, every report to TUG about it has been that the incentive is available only for otherwise-eligible Weeks (i.e. pre-6/20/10 US and Caribbean Weeks, pre-6/18/12 Euro Weeks.) Several TUGgers who received emails about it from their sales reps were able to verify that it applies to only eligible Weeks. It's also been discussed in several threads related to sales presentations and/or Trust Points purchases.

Last year beginning 8/27/15 there was a Trust Points purchase incentive that allowed enrollment of otherwise-ineligible Weeks purchased prior to 8/15/15. That incentive was extended once through 12/30/15 but as far as we know it's no longer available. (See this thread: New Sales Incentive - Enrolling Post-6/20/10 (formerly ineligible) Weeks.)

Last edited:

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing was mentioned in the presentation about taking back my Silver week if I bought into the points program. All the numbers used were combining the point values from the weeks I own with the additional purchased points.

It did seem like the resale week had to be bought before the 2010 cutoff date for the offer to be valid. The salesman checked the eligibility before he started the offer and and the person who sold the encore package made a comment about my weeks being eligible for the offer.