• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2006] Found WORM in my chocolate!

bhrungo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today I was eating some chocolates that had been in our pantry for a few months. I ate a few Dove chocolates, then I went and ate a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup. I was in the process of opening another peanut butter cup and noticed a little white worm wiggling around in the wrapper! It was alive, white with pink on each end! I immediately threw it on the counter but then picked it back up to inspect it. Then I opened a few other wrappers to look for more worms. Didn't find anymore. I feel sick to my stomach wondering if I possibly ate a worm or two....I'm also wondering what type of worm this is and where in the heck it came from! Hope I don't get sick. I threw the entire bag of chocolates away, even sealed bags. UGH! :annoyed:
My husband said I shouldn't have eaten the chocolates anyway, since I am supposed to be on a low-carb diet! haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can relate. Years ago, I opened a Hershey with almonds bar while driving. When I started to pop the candy into my mouth, my daughter screamed for me to stop. It turned out there were worms.

It seems that Walgreen's had candy that was beyond the date it should be sold......I think the wormy things were from the almonds in the candy bar.

Last edited:

Gadabout

Reaction score
bhrungo said:
Today I was eating some chocolates that had been in our pantry for a few months. I ate a few Dove chocolates, then I went and ate a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup. I was in the process of opening another peanut butter cup and noticed a little white worm wiggling around in the wrapper! It was alive, white with pink on each end! I immediately threw it on the counter but then picked it back up to inspect it. Then I opened a few other wrappers to look for more worms. Didn't find anymore. I feel sick to my stomach wondering if I possibly ate a worm or two....I'm also wondering what type of worm this is and where in the heck it came from! Hope I don't get sick. I threw the entire bag of chocolates away, even sealed bags. UGH! :annoyed:
My husband said I shouldn't have eaten the chocolates anyway, since I am supposed to be on a low-carb diet! haha

Probably moth larvae. Think of them as protein.:D

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not to worry. Most of the red and pink dyes used in food are made from extract of crushed bugs. (True.) One little worm won't hurt.

Who knows? In some cultures that worm might have made that a premium chocolate!!

Last edited:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You're sick :(

T_R_Oglodyte said:
Who knows? In some cultures that worm might have made that a premium chocolate!!

nickis

TUG Member
Reaction score
SSSSSShhhhhhhush don't tell everyone they will all want one LOL:p

Azjim66

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a long time ago that there is some allowable percentage of insect material in chocolate.

Gadabout

Reaction score
Jim and Cindy said:
I remember reading a long time ago that there is some allowable percentage of insect material in chocolate.

Just about all food has insect material in it--if people looked at all their food under a microscope, they probably wouldn't want to eat a lot of it. :p

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fern Modena said:
You're sick :(

I don't know if he is or isn't - but he makes a good point. Many cultures (including Europeans) enjoy eating honey that contains honeycomb filled with the bee larva & pupae. It's considered a delicacy, and it has a lot of protein. When bears attack bee colonies they are more interested in the larva & pupae than the honey (of course they'll eat both)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We've clearly overlooked something here. Worms in chocolate would obviously not occur if RCI Points members weren't able to raid Weeks inventory.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happens lots of times is warm weather. If you look closly you will see tiny holes in wrapper. Common problem in grocery stores.
Bart

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
bhrungo said:
I was in the process of opening another peanut butter cup and noticed a little white worm wiggling around in the wrapper!

Keep quiet about it or everybody will want one.

bhrungo said:

You should have thrown away the chocolate and kept the worm as that would be protein :D

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh now come on--if it had been a bottle of tequilla, this wouldn't have been a problem, now, would it? :whoopie:

Just kidding, I would've died right there. AND thrown out the entire contents of my pantry!

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
bhrungo said:
Today I was eating some chocolates that had been in our pantry for a few months. I ate a few Dove chocolates, then I went and ate a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup.

That's your problem. In our house, chocolates never last more than a few days. Especially DOVE. But really, this is a gross story. I've never heard of worms in chocolate and I'll certainly be more careful examining packages in the store. Is no food sacred?

iiderman

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is most likely an Indian meal moth larvae... A couple of years ago I found a whole nest of them in an opened box of cookies in my pantry!

It was the most disgusting thing I ever experienced! :eek: As a result of my discovery I almost needed to get therapy!!! I threw away everything in my pantry (and I mean everything!) Called an exterminator who recommended moth traps.. He said this happens in 40 percent of households and the owners never even detect them. I couldn't eat or get the sight of those creepy crawlies out of my mind for weeks!

The traps worked great and I think we got rid of all of them. I still jump if I see something flying in my kitchen thinking it's an adult month looking for a place to lay it's eggs! To this day, I will not store any unsealed foods in the pantry. In our house everything (even stuff like pasta, crackers, rice) go in the fridge..

If I were you, I would go carefully through your entire pantry and make sure this was an isolated problem.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it was some kind of larva.........

kjgrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here I have been going around all my life thinking my mom was telling me some kind of story when she said that she had found worms in a candy bar. I thought she was just trying to get me not to eat chocolate.

Go figure my mother actually knew what she was talking about, who would of known?

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
MusicMan (Formerly JP) said:
Technically, I think the worm is in Mezcal....

This is true. Tequila does not have a worm in it.

CSB

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I read a whole discussion on moth infestations in people kitchens just recently in another forum. It seems that you can bring these things home with you from the store unknowingly. Best advice - especially in warm climates is to put things like flour, rice, etc in the freezer for 2 weeks to kill the larva.

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score

nickis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to make you feel really sick it wasn't a worm it was a MAGGOT lol

Courts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jestjoan said:
It seems that Walgreen's had candy that was beyond the date it should be sold.......
I unknowingly bought milk from Walgreen's that was expired....too trusting...but no more.

In military, we had biscuits that I thought had sesame seeds. Well, the cook said the flour comes with "bugs" very often. No biggie. :(