• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval international unit size upgrade fee??

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am searching II using a 2 bedroom deposit, and all 3 bedrooms now list a $59 unit size upgrade fee?! When searching with a 1 bedroom, it is $59 more for a 2 bedroom and $118 more for a 3 bedroom. Best of all, a studio is a $177 extra fee to confirm a 3 bedroom for a total of $356?! Of course, the studios do not list any kind of unit size fee refund for a downgrade in unit size when searching with a 1 or 2 bedroom deposit. No warning was given of this "enhancement" and not cool at all interval.

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow - I must have missed this change. When did this start?

At first I thought not too bad, assuming this fee is for size upgrades that my original unit didn't have the power to pull. But, I just looked at Orlando low demand periods that I could pull 3 BR options with my 1BR. Now, looks like I need to pay for it.

Yep, sad day, especially knowing that I would probably take advantage of it! But, what this may do is stop the purchase of buying E-Trade and obsessively looking for a larger unit daily! That would be ok.

Tradetimes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same story for me..new fee this morning...not there yesterday...
More money for II...less for traders!

:mad:

We should buy stock from II today...the profit will going UP!!! i will not lose everything ;)

Last edited:

Tradetimes

TUG Member
Reaction score
From my one bedroom

+118 for three bedrooms..
+ $177 for 4 bedrooms..

next step..pay xtra or better quality...premier to elite +59$..+118+177..oups should dont want to give bad idea to II

Last edited:

Tradetimes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Message from II:

The cost to upgrade your unit size is $99 per upgrade step. Interval Platinum members will pay a reduced rate of $59 per upgrade step, and Interval Gold members will pay a reduced rate of $79 per upgrade step. The Unit-Size Upgrade fee is in addition to your exchange fee.

There is no upgrade fee for instant exchange confirmations made within the Flexchange window

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Ugh, it's a dark day for II exchangers.

I agree, this company is already making a ton of money and it's indeed a very sad day.

I wonder if they will still charge this fee, for those resorts that only have 2 bedroom units?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
A couple of months ago I upgraded a higher value, in week and unit quality, Marriott 1 bedroom week for a lower quality 2 bedroom Westgate week without a fee.

This is still better IMHO than the higher membership fee's and exchange fee's charged by RCI. It amounts to a usage fee for those who upgrade in size. It's also less expensive than paying MF's on the appropriate size unit to exchange 1:1

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Message from II:

The cost to upgrade your unit size is $99 per upgrade step. Interval Platinum members will pay a reduced rate of $59 per upgrade step, and Interval Gold members will pay a reduced rate of $79 per upgrade step. The Unit-Size Upgrade fee is in addition to your exchange fee.

There is no upgrade fee for instant exchange confirmations made within the Flexchange window

So, what would be the flexchange window? Is it 60 days prior to departure?

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, worse than I thought!!!!

Per II FAQ:

Q. What is the cost to upgrade my unit size?

There is no upgrade fee for instant exchange confirmations made within the Flexchange window.

So, it's really $99 if you don't have gold/platinum membership, which is more than 50% of the exchange fee of $179. This will start to make exchanges a bad value in many cases, when you add in yearly II membership fee, exchange fee, unit upgrade fee, MFs, taxes, etc... to get the true cost of exchanging...

Great3

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
This puts them more in line with the small independent exchange companies, which is a step down for II. The thing that irritates me the most about these type of upgrade fees is that they charge you more to get a larger room, but when you trade down from a 2 bedroom to a one bedroom, they don't give you any type of credit.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Upgrade fees or EPlus as well!!!!

Again, from II FAQ:

Q. Do I have to pay for a unit-size upgrade on an E-Plus retrade?

If your E-Plus retrade is being confirmed into a larger unit than your existing confirmation, then the E-Plus retrade is subject to the Unit-Size Upgrade fee.

There is no upgrade fee for E-Plus retrades made within the Flexchange window.

So, it's now $54 + $99 at least if you are hoping to upgrade to a larger unit using eplus retrade.

Great3

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Message from II:

Oh yes there is! Just looked this morning and my Marriott studio for Aruba July 9th check in was a $99 unit upgrade fee for a 1 bedroom.

WTF:mad:not happy with this change as I have ALWAYS upgraded my studio for FREE and just bought another 2 bed lock out. And double whammy just upgraded SO interval account to Platinum when he owns an every other year unit and I own 2 lock offs and will trade more grrr. ( upgraded his account to get 2 free guest Certificates in my name for the Marriott credit on 14 day stay since I am the rewards member :wall:)

Can't put into words how unhappy I am right now:crash:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
This puts them more in line with the small independent exchange companies, which is a step down for II. The thing that irritates me the most about these type of upgrade fees is that they charge you more to get a larger room, but when you trade down from a 2 bedroom to a one bedroom, they don't give you any type of credit.

This. There should be a unit size exchange credit on your account when you downtrade.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There is a 2 br at Marriott's Canyon Villas at Desert Ridge for July and I don't see an upgrade fee when using a 1 br unit to search.

Check again to see if the upgrade fees apply during flexchange.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I am ok paying the extra fee if the weeks were comparable time and place as then a unit upgrade is occurring.

Unfortunately now downgrading time and place can cost more money. I think this fee will probably make owners of high demand studios, one bedroom weeks use Rci instead of II unless they are trading for a comparable time and place.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am ok paying the extra fee if the weeks were comparable time and place as then a unit upgrade is occurring.

Unfortunately now downgrading time and place can cost more money. I think this fee will probably make owners of high demand studios, one bedroom weeks use Rci instead of II unless they are trading for a comparable time and place.

That will only work if their resort is affiliated with II. For most Marriott and Vistana properties, RCI isn't an option.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Here is the full breakout from the FAQ regarding upgrade fees. Sneaky of them to just add this in to the regular "Interval International" FAQ. No separate section.

Q. How can I upgrade to a larger unit?

Unit-size upgrades are offered when making an instant exchange confirmation. Upgrade opportunities are based on availability and are not available for every exchange confirmation.

Q. What is an upgrade step?

Upgrade fees will be charged for each step, or unit size confirmed that is larger than the unit size deposited. For example, if you upgrade a one-bedroom unit to a two-bedroom unit, you will be charged for one upgrade step. If you upgrade a studio unit to a two-bedroom unit, you will be charged for two upgrade steps.

Q. What is the cost to upgrade my unit size?

There is no upgrade fee for instant exchange confirmations made within the Flexchange window.

Q. How many steps can I upgrade my unit?

The number of steps you can upgrade your unit is based on the unit size of the week you deposited and exchange availability.

Q. Why can’t I see any larger units when I shop for my exchange?

The exchange program is based on the comparable value of the week you are depositing to the week you are looking to confirm. For example, if you deposit a unit that sleeps four, your trading power allows you to confirm a unit that sleeps four, regardless of the unit size. The opportunity to upgrade to a larger unit will appear from time to time, as it is based on availability. Additionally, only weeks owners are eligible for unit-size upgrades. Points owners will not be affected since the number of points they relinquish determines the unit size confirmed.

Q. I cancelled my exchange. Do I receive a refund for my Unit-Size Upgrade fee?

The refund of Unit-Size Upgrade Fees operates the same way as the refund of exchange fees does. If your cancellation is within 24 hours of your exchange confirmation, your Unit-Size Upgrade fee will be refunded. If a cancellation is made after 24 hours, no fees will be refunded.

Q. Can I upgrade a Getaway?

No, unit-size upgrades are not available for Getaways.

Q. Can I upgrade a ShortStay Exchange or Interval Options?

No, unit-size upgrades are not available for ShortStay Exchanges or Interval Options.

Q. Will I get a chance to upgrade my unit size if I placed a pending request?

At this time, unit-size upgrades are only available with an instant exchange confirmation. If you placed a pending request and a larger unit becomes available, you may be contacted by an advisor from our Vacation Assistance Department, who will offer you the unit and collect the Unit-Size Upgrade fee.

Q. Do I have to pay for a unit-size upgrade on an E-Plus retrade?

If your E-Plus retrade is being confirmed into a larger unit than your existing confirmation, then the E-Plus retrade is subject to the Unit-Size Upgrade fee.

There is no upgrade fee for E-Plus retrades made within the Flexchange window.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Here is the full breakout from the FAQ regarding upgrade fees. Sneaky of them to just add this in to the regular "Interval International" FAQ. No separate section.

Well that answers the OGS question. Thx

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I missed that one! So this actually is no surprise then. I'm just glad I secured my 3 bedroom at surfwatch for next spring as there's no way I'm paying almost $400 to exchange into silver season since I used a 1 bedroom non-Marriot.

More off season large units will sit. I wonder if this will lead to a decrease in the trading power for 3 br off season weeks. I am sure II will have no problem selling them as getaways.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
More off season large units will sit. I wonder if this will lead to a decrease in the trading power for 3 br off season weeks. I am sure II will have no problem selling them as getaways.

Definitely. I used the small side of a Sheraton Broadway plantation lockoff to grab a late March 3 bedroom at surfwatch. But at $400 exchange fee, I'd likely just have waited until 59 days or less out to see what's left. And it'll be very interesting to see what happens to Orlando and Branson, ect offseason larger unit inventory that can already be had for $400-500 as getaways!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Next thing you know II will start charging for each step you go up in terms of a resorts rating. So one extra strep from Premier to Elite, two extra steps from Select to Elite, and three extra steps from non rated to Elite.

These are the picky kind of fees I dislike with the independents. Some charge for size including total occupancy (so a 2 br sleeps 6 going to a 2 br sleeps 8 would be charged an extra fee) and season.