• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott reward points BEST use--HELP--

Dan B

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have well over one million Marriott points, from cr. cards and timeshare
converions. I would PLEASE like to know the best way to stretch and use
these points. I would like to travel and NOT buy any merchandise.

Thanks, Dan B.:)

taffy19

Reaction score
Hi Dan, I would read Brian's posts as he does wonders with the MRPs. His user name is pwrshift so click on his profile and read all his posts as you can find them there quickly. There are other experts too but he knows how to travel well and take advantage of these points. :D

You came to the right place here. Have fun learning.

pvangordon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh those points aren't worth anything....I'll take 'em off your hands so you don't have to make these kinds of decisions. :)

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
By far the single best use of points (and I know Brian would agree) is to obtain FF miles and hotel stays through the "Travel Package" awards. Even if you don't use the hotel portion of the award and turn it back to Marriott for credit, the FF miles are much cheaper that way than just obtaining the FF mileage awards.

See post #2 in this thread, for example, to see a calculation of the benefit of obtaining hotel stays and FF miles that way.

Also, see this thread from the old BBS for an example of what iconnections refers to.

ArtsieAng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was curious about Marriott's 'Point Savers' plan. Does anyone know if there is a 'travel package' offered which considers the reduced points needed for the hotel stay during this time frame?

So, instead of the 235,000 travel points needed for a 7 night stay, if you travel during the 'point savers' time frame, is there any 'travel package' offering the same deal for less points?

I browsed through the threads, but did not see any mention of one.....I could have missed it.

Thanks............:)

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
The travel package is just that "a package". One gets the hotel and the FF miles. If the hotel is offering "points saver" award space, one has to crunch the numbers on which method (new award or using package cert) will provide best bang for point.

For the OP, another thing I would advise and did not see mentioned is to burn points contemporaneously, as much as possible, especially with the anticipated devaluation coming. Also, I've found making rolling award reservations at your desired locations can bear fruit, especially during periods when Marriott decides to "change" their reward category. That happened to us this year in Australia, so now we can decide whether to use our package cert for one of the existing reservations, or "buy it up" to the newer, higher category for a subsequesnt reservation. Often, you won't know such has taken place unless you are consistently making reservations at a property.

If I had over a million points, I'd order up a number of travel packages right now. Who knows how much longer Marriott will have them, and, since you can split them up, you can use some of the miles before the airlines make it next to impossible to secure award tix. If flying UA, be aware of a substantial increase in redemption mileage cost, especially for premium cabins, after October 16, 2006.

Safe travels!

Pat

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
. . . burn points contemporaneously, as much as possible, especially with the anticipated devaluation coming . . .

camachinist,

What sort of devaluation are you speaking of? Are you suggesting that Marriott will discontinue the Travel Packages or make some other significant change to the MR program?

Barry

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
jerseyfinn said:
. . . burn points contemporaneously, as much as possible, especially with the anticipated devaluation coming . . .

camachinist,

What sort of devaluation are you speaking of? Are you suggesting that Marriott will discontinue the Travel Packages or make some other significant change to the MR program?

Barry
Yes. It has been discussed on FlyerTalk. We also have significant points from our developer purchases and my use of the Marriott hotel system. I've converted nearly everything into travel packages and future hotel certs.

My real concern is how Marriott will handle the timeshare surrender points situation, as it is really the only ongoing perk developer purchasers receive. If there's a substantial (or even modest) devaluation, and surrender points remain static, in light of increasing MF's/fees, etc., there are going to be problems, IMO.

We just saw a substantial change in UA's award system values, due to implement in October. SPG (*wood) also made (or is making) changes to their program. As travel continues on the upswing, the pressure to incent customer loyalty appears to be waning, IMO. I'll be happy to be wrong, but in any event, we're positioning ourselves for the changes I anticipate.

Pat

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
So it sounds like you are doing a lot of traveling within the next year! How long are the hotel certs good for? I need to start using up my points if what you are saying comes to pass. What's the best way to get-up on all this? Is there already a thread on this?

Kazakie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lets not leap before we look

Lets not leap before we look

Marriott = Stable, profitable, not going anywhere, although may devaluate reward point values
Airlines = Unstable, unprofitable, probably not going anywhere, may also devaluate reward point values

Would you really rather be banking those miles with one airline rather than Marriott (or Starwood or Hilton)?

Unless you do a lot of flying internationally, and with hotel rates continual increases, even at 1 for 1, hotel points could be of greater value than airline miles (especially if you can find availability and stay 7 consecutive days) - but you really have to run the math, there's no one rule for everyone.

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Lets not leap before we look

o it sounds like you are doing a lot of traveling within the next year! How long are the hotel certs good for? I need to start using up my points if what you are saying comes to pass. What's the best way to get-up on all this? Is there already a thread on this?

Actually, we are....Europe, Asia, Australia are on tap...

Certs can be extended for one year beyond their expiration date by calling customer service. I got the information on our situation in writing from customer service back in February when I noted the hotel category change.

You'll have to search the Marriott forum on FlyerTalk. There may also be some details here on TUG, but I don't recall.

I personally prefer to have currency in tangible assets (hotel bookings/airline tickets) rather than in some corporate bank I have no control over. Remember that small print that says they can change the rules/benefits of the program at any time without notice? ;)

Perhaps the canaries (myself and some others) have heart conditions, or perhaps there really is gas in the mine. ;) Folks will have to decide for themselves, after reviewing the relevant information.

Pat

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
. . . Yes. It has been discussed on FlyerTalk. . .

camachinist,

I'm not trying to make a big issue out of this, but speaking wholly with the purpose of clarity in mind, I think it's a pretty loose assumption to announce that Marriott is "devaluing" the MR program without elaborating more specifically on the source. I too follow Flyer Talk regularly, and the Marriott board there. The only thread that I recall which discusses "devaluation" is this thread from March 2006. The context of the thread is entirely different from what your remark seems to imply. In the thread someone complains because Marriott has raised the category rating of several properties ( a relative devaluation ). As the unofficial Marriott rep notes, a hotel's category rating is in part a product of how popular it is as a destination where folks want to use their MR points. More demand = a higher category rating, hence more MR points needed for a stay.

Indeed Marriott reserves the right to make changes to the MR program ( even the option to discontinue it, although that's highly unlikely ). But as MVCI owners, I do not believe that we are under threat of a wholesale program devaluation if that is what you mean.

Once again, I'm not trying to rake you over the coals here, but lots of folks are new to MVCI and they could get unnecessarily panicked. By all means, if you've heard something else, please share the link as I too like to follow all issues Marriott since we're also committed TS folks.

Barry

Kazakie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a question for the Marriott Rewards "value" theorist.

You can only spend 3 nights in a cat 7 hotel - which is 90,000 points.

Or you can get a 7 night travel package, burn 270,000 points, and get your 3 nights (lose 4) and 120,000 airline miles (with no immediate plans to use them) which equates to 1.5 Marriott Reward = 1 Airline Mile.
http://marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

(or use the three free hotel certs that Hilton gave you, stay at a Hilton, and don't use any Marriott points)

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was a specific discussion involved, after the news on SPG came out, and I recall Socrates being involved, unofficially of course. I'll have to check his posting history to see if I can find it. I don't believe I posted to the thread, but will look. <Edited to add that I will also check the SPG forum>

The gist was a recital of the last time Marriott had a currency devaluation, which was before we started participating in 2002, and how they were due for another one, now that travel had rebounded and the hotel business was booming. The premise was, now that hotel prices were substantially rising, but points earning and burning forumulas were remaining static, an increasing window of liability (and loss of potential profits) was forming, and one which couldn't be corrected by a change of category.

Category changes happen all the time, based on factors only Marriott is privvy to, although Socrates once said it was due to the internal compensation level to the properties. Some go up and others go down. I noted that in Australia, where the Sydney Harbour property went up, and another in an outlying district of Sydney went down. <Edited to add that I noted he changed "the formula" in the most recent thread, which you linked, and, unfortunately, he deleted all his posts back during the Marriott concierge era in 2004, so I can't find the former formula I recited>

What I'm talking about is a change in points requirements for hotel certs and travel packages. Truthfully, I could even see the travel packages going away, which would be a devastating move, IMO.

I have a ton of money invested in Marriott, both as an owner and shareholder, and I'm seeing things on a lot of levels that give me pause. Since there are people here at TUG who are very well connected with Marriott, I'm sure if I'm way off base they'll be along to correct me. Since no one really knows either way until Marriott makes an official announcement, my conjecture and any rebuttal are merely opinion. I've learned to trust my instincts in business, and that's why I took the actions I did with regard to our Marriott points. Time will tell.

Pat

Last edited:

Kilby5924

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best use of points is in a travel package if you are looking at how to get the most value out of your points but I tend to look at my points little differently than just getting the most value at of my points ,and if you have a million points and the ability to continue to earn points. You might want to consider this, while I use my points in travel packages; I also use them to add luxury to a stay, for instance. We spent points to upgrade our room to Cloud Club service while at Desert Ridge. This may not be the best use of points but it turned our stay into something very special. Another example, we used a travel package to stay at the Marriott Kauai Beach hotel we got enough points to fly out first class and we also upgraded our room. Both our example of using your points for items that you might not spend your money on but they sure are nice. Incidentally when we were staying at Desert Ridge someone called from there vacation planning called and asked us to tour the villas and since we were staying in Cloud Club they would give us double gifts. So we got 30,000 MR points for doing a tour. That covered our upgrade for the three days we were there. I don’t if Marriott will devalue points but I can’t think of a reason why you would let your points total go much above 540, 000 points unless you had a specific use for those points. It just puts you at to much risk having that much value in one company, just like you wouldn’t put your entire financial asset in one banks hands nor should you put your entire vacation dollars with one company.
Sheldon

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Dan B said:
I have well over one million Marriott points, from cr. cards and timeshare
converions. I would PLEASE like to know the best way to stretch and use
these points. I would like to travel and NOT buy any merchandise.

Thanks, Dan B.:)

Dan...don't you just love it when somebody rains on your parade and is full of doom and gloom? United Air is just raising their FF levels to what all the other airlines have done a year or so ago...sure, nobody like to see it but it simply levels the playing field.

There have been shifts in category levels of Marriott hotels right from the start of the new program several years ago - that was the whole idea and some hotels will earn higher levels based on performance and those that don't perform will go lower -- just like in any successful business. Marriott won't devalue their points for fun or greed - these are used by their best customers and they don't want to send them to Starwood. And if they do, you can bet they won't change them as much as the room rates have been increasing.

It's nice to stay in a top performing hotel IMO. When I stayed a week on points last year in Marriott Grand Flora Roma it was Cat6 and so nice I couldn't believe it wasn't a 7 like the Camelback Inn was in Scottsdale. But this year Grand Flora is up to Cat7 while Camelback is down to Cat6. Shifts happen.

Your deed states the number of points your timeshare week is worth and that won't change - but each year your maintenance goes up so the cost of those points go up too (hopefully the same rate your income goes up). That means use them sooner than later, but later is OK too. Over the last year, some hotel rates have gone way up - such as Desert Ridge from $360 last year in April to $529 this April, so at least the paying public got a bump in the number of points they earned. I got 16,000 points for 2 nights there this year but a business expense.

The best way for you to use your points IMO is to cash 540,000 points for 2 Cat7 certificates and 240,000 FF miles. I do this every 2 years by giving Marriott back 2 of my 6 weeks every year for 220,000 pointsso I'll have 440,000 points added back in for the next trip in 2 years...and more with my hotel stays on business. And splitting my remaining lockoff suites, I still have 8 weeks of timeshare holidays with AC's as well...best of both worlds.

Using AA's levels of 90k FF miles USA to Europe (UA is 80k until Oct) for first/business class seats on a 2 class airline (these are better seats than biz class on a 3 class airline) you'll need 180,000 FF miles (that leaves you with 60k FF miles for future flights (or 2 domestic economy). Price these seats on on Expedia or Travelocity to see what the 'value' is - probably $10,000 for two (maybe more) and you can use the special airport lounges and fly in absolute comfort for all those hours!

Hotels: Now book a week in London Park Lane at 255 GB pounds a night - that's worth $3300 and no taxes. Then stay a second week in Rome at the Marriott Grand Flora (free connecting flights) worth 390 Euros a night and that's worth another $3400. Go prime time in the best hotels when spending points...don't waste them on a $200 a night hotel in low season.

Hmmmm....that's worth about $17,000 if you were paying cash! Nice. Now if you bought a $24,000 preconstruction Marriott timeshare to get that trip, what did the timeshare really cost? And if you didn't buy the timeshare would you take the luxury trip at all? Finally ... do you really care if someone spends stressful weeks trying to get it all for $10,000 instead?

It's great fun working it all out - have a great time. Marriott's ratings went up in the Freddie Awards this year - Starwood went down - so something is working for them.

Brian

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian,

I JUST bought my first timeshare, a 2 Bedroom Platinum Summer at Timber Lodge in Tahoe. I have read for a long time in TUG about buying on the secondary market, yet in the sales pitch, use of the points, which are unavailable unless purchased from Marriott, seemed to make sense. It seemed that over the years, that extra value would make the extra cost worthwhile. That was Wednesday. Since then I have been wondering if that were true or just sales talk. I was going to ask that question today on TUG and read your letter above.

But unlike you, I have only the one timeshare...at a cost of $31,500. If I trade it in every other year so I still have an annual one week vacation (this is a lockout), it will take me 8 years to have the vacation you described! And I would be giving up 8 annual weeks of vacations to do this! Is it still worthwhile? Should I be looking for a preconstruction Marriott instead and return the current Timber Lodge while I still can ( I have until Wednesday).

Are there any other ideas besides preconstruction purchases to keep the costs down, yet get the most benefit?

Jeff, in San Diego

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received the new Elite offer coupons in the mail. They are offering a "European Hopper". Spend 7 nights in any 3 European Hotels of your choice. You get 1 certificate va;ie for 3 nights and two valid for 2 nights. Usable at all Marriott, Reinssance or Courtyards throughout Europe. You can claim this for only 150,000 points. ZOffer valid through 12/31/06, Reward code 14EH.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Jeff...my post above was directed to DanB who has over 1 million points to use.

Your case is quite different and more difficult to realize the full benefits of the points program as there are several points to consider. I do think you need more than one week to 'get there' within a reasonable time - preferably lockoffs so EOY you can split and deposit and have a timeshare holiday every year and at the same time have a deposit for points. However, it's not always that simple. You have to start somewhere and no doubt you will be like the rest of us and buy more Marriotts. :)

The cost of the unit comes into the analysis...for points management the best things to look for are lockoffs (for the reason above), the purchase price, the number of 'incentive to buy' points given to you for purchasing and if there are any non-use years (preconstruction) where you can get points instead of use, the annual maintanance fee, the number of points you get for trading - these get you started. Example> MBP can trade EY for 110k points (platinum) but the MF is $1000 which makes the points too expensive IMO compared to MMC which trades EOY for 110k points for a $620 MF. When i bought those two resorts they were priced under $17k and came with upwards of 300k points incentive. In 2002 MSE and MCV were under $19 and came with 500k points each. No longer. So it depends on what you got up front to buy, what the annual maint charge is to trade for points and how many you get.

Hope that helps.

Brian

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
These 'combo hotel' packages sound interesting but I haven't tried them (Hawaii, UK). The only thing that might make me nix them is they don't come with FF miles - yet gobble up 150k points for a week. If Marriott puts in an air package with them, they'd be a winner for sure as it's a nice way to move around and see the country for a few days in each place. However, to get 120k FF miles for another 120k points (270k total) is the key attraction for the Cat 7 air&hotel pkg or a little less for Cat 6...that's 1 pt per mile!

Brian

KathyPet said:
Just received the new Elite offer coupons in the mail. They are offering a "European Hopper". Spend 7 nights in any 3 European Hotels of your choice. You get 1 certificate va;ie for 3 nights and two valid for 2 nights. Usable at all Marriott, Reinssance or Courtyards throughout Europe. You can claim this for only 150,000 points. ZOffer valid through 12/31/06, Reward code 14EH.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
KathyPet said:

I just saw this on the website when I logged in to check my point balance. Since I only have 168,000, this might be a good one for us.

We have two timeshare weeks in the British Isles booked for next year with (I think) five free nights between them. I was thinking of just booking a hotel in London. Wonder if you could use the 3 night and one of the 2 nights for consecutive stays in the same hotel?

Got to go read those details and compare it against other options!

Sheila

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
pwrshift said:
The cost of the unit comes into the analysis...for points management the best things to look for are lockoffs (for the reason above), the purchase price, the number of 'incentive to buy' points given to you for purchasing, ... the annual maintanance fee, the number of points you get for trading - these get you started. Brian

Brian,
Thanks for the reply. I purchased for $31,250 - a Summer Platinum lock-out at Timber Lodge in Lake Tahoe , I will receive 105,000 incentive points if I make 3 finance monthly payments (I can prepay on a Marriott credit card all but $10,000 before the 3 payments are made), maintanance is $760 and we would get 110,000 points for a trade in.

So what do you think? Still worth it, or should I consider the secondary market...or perhaps a different Marriott, purchased directly from Marriott, as some have suggested or wait for a preconstruction somewhere as you have suggested?

Thanks,

Jeff

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
I think that the 105,000 points your were offered is minimal. They can easily go higher, if you are willing to haggle with them. Also, if you are running this purchase through your MR card, that will also bring you over 90,000 points. More if you have the newer MR card that gives you five times. If you decide to go through with this deal, I'd maximize my points.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff...you hold the cards right now, so make them work for the sale -- no salesman likes to lose the commissions once you've signed and they will fight hard to keep you active, so be firm.

I like the location for you living in SanDiego as you'll be able to use it easily without major transport costs. But they are real stingy on points IMO for $31,000 ... so I'd rescind (follow the rules) and tell them you want 200,000 incentive points just to buy, 105,000 for financing and be sure to pay off the loan in 3 months because their interest rate is criminal, and ask for this year's non-use points at no maintenance charge...no go, no deal. They'll call you back but if they don't keep looking for that major pre-construction deal of a lockoff suite somewhere.

On the other hand, if you love the place keep it and enjoy. 110k points for $760 is OK...is that every year or EOY? I got over 500k for buying a TS in 2002 for less than $19k -- tougher to get that now but those days will come again.

Brian

korndoc said:
Brian,
Thanks for the reply. I purchased for $31,250 - a Summer Platinum lock-out at Timber Lodge in Lake Tahoe , I will receive 105,000 incentive points if I make 3 finance monthly payments (I can prepay on a Marriott credit card all but $10,000 before the 3 payments are made), maintanance is $760 and we would get 110,000 points for a trade in.

So what do you think? Still worth it, or should I consider the secondary market...or perhaps a different Marriott, purchased directly from Marriott, as some have suggested or wait for a preconstruction somewhere as you have suggested?

Thanks,

Jeff

Dan B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you PwrShift for your reply this thread # 16. If I deposit 2 Marriott wk's in I.I. to trade for 2 Marriott wk's in Phuket Thailand in Jan or Feb 2008 and then use my FF miles to book my flight " NOW " for 2008, what will happen to my FF miles if I cannot get the dates in Phuket that I booked for air ??????.
Inorder to use FF miles, I must book one year in advance, However I.I. may not have the reservations IF AT ALL till about 2 to 3 months from travel time and even then the dates may be off a little. WHAT TO DO ??????.

thanks again, Dan B.