• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Practicality of Penthouse Units at Ko 'Olina

Dewnay

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the practicality of owning a penthouse unit at Ko Olina. It seems to me that it would be nice to stay in one but trying to reserve a week during a high-demand time would be difficult due to the limited number of units. I don't think there would be any trading advantages with II, right?

Comments, please.

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are correct that there is no trading advantage through II. Even if there was, don't spend the $$$ for a premium unit if you plan on trading very often.

As for making reservations, there will be 50 platinum owners per unit no matter which view you buy.

It's nice to know in advance that you will be getting a great view, but you have to decide for yourself how much (if anything) extra you want to spend for this perk.

ZCar

Reaction score
We own an OV Penthouse at Ko'Olina.
The great thing is that you'll always be assigned a Penthouse.

In the new Hale Moana (building 2), the OV's are on the top 16th floor. In june we had 21608 Guest Suite lockout only and the view was fantastic. The following week, we were in 1017 Master Suite in Hale Kona (building 1).
In Hale Kona, OV's are on the 8th & 10th floors, right up front. True, there aren't many OV's and less IV's, but we have never had a problem reserving.

The ONLY difference I know of, is that the OV Penthouse has higher ceilings. Any Villa directly below the Penthouse will have nearly the same view, but one cannot be assured of an assignment to one of those.

We have never exchanged it, but believe that there is no distinction with Interval. Just the lucky person who gets it will be happy. (One loses all rights to view catagory when exchanging through Interval).

We're quite pleased with the Penthouse purchase and the resort is really great. The extra dollar value is for you and only you to decide.