Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > General Discussion > TUG Lounge

TUG Lounge The place for all discussions that don't fit into the other defined forum areas. Posts discussing politics, religion, and controversial social issues that are not directly related to timesharing are not permitted.

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old August 24, 2006, 07:09 PM   #1
Jimster

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 11, 05

Resorts: Orange Lake in FL; Silverleaf's Holiday Hills in Branson, MO.; and Murray Valley, Queensland, Australia UA 1K
Exploded Potatoes Recipe?

Does anyone have the recipe to Exploded Potatoes served by Frisco's in the Washington DC area?
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2006, 07:40 PM   #2
Jestjoan

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05
Lightbulb

Ask Uncle Phaedrus and his readers http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/mostpopular.htm
Jestjoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2006, 08:57 PM   #3
philemer

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 17, 04

Resorts: ID, TX, UT & SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
Does anyone have the recipe to Exploded Potatoes served by Frisco's in the Washington DC area?
Sounds like it might be the same as 'twice-baked' potatoes. Try a google for this. Sounds good. "Honey, could we have twice-baked potatoes for dinner?"
DUCK!!

Phil
philemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2006, 01:34 AM   #4
debraxh

TUG Member

Resorts: Kona Coast Resort, Mountain Retreat, Paradise Village
I googled with no luck. What are exploded potatoes?
debraxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2006, 05:59 AM   #5
grest
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 8, 05

Resorts: Mt. Amanzi, Strand Pavilion, Seapointer, Place on the Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by debraxh
I googled with no luck. What are exploded potatoes?
Ditto...must be one of them fancy la-de-da gourmet things
Connie
grest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2006, 09:43 AM   #6
Jestjoan

TUG Member

close.........

But without question, the best part of any trip to Frisco's is a treat they call the "Exploded Potato." The medium is enough to be a meal on its own; I wouldn't want to run up against a large. Baked potatoes are chopped, skins on, into bite-size bits and blended with bacon, butter, sour cream, chives and we can't guess what else. It's decadent comfort food at its very best. The flavor is beyond any french fry or potato salad you'll try. We would attempt to recreate the Exploded Potato at home, but we're thinking our arteries would appreciate it if we didn't try.

From Frederick Eats

Last edited by Jestjoan; August 25, 2006 at 09:46 AM.
Jestjoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2006, 06:50 PM   #7
MULTIZ321
TUG Member

Resorts: CELEBRITY RESORTS PALM COAST; CELEBRATION, ORLANDO; SEAWATCH AT ISLAND CLUB, HHI; RHC (POINTS)
Exploded Potatoes

Jimster,

Couldn't find a recipe but here are some links

Exploded Potatoes + Frisco's

Another Frisco's Exploded Potatoes Review

Richard
MULTIZ321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2006, 10:29 PM   #8
Jimster

TUG Member

Resorts: Orange Lake in FL; Silverleaf's Holiday Hills in Branson, MO.; and Murray Valley, Queensland, Australia UA 1K
potatoes

I would still like the recipe if anyone knows it. LOL It is not a twice baked potato as it would put that to shame. Yes, it is a special dish from Friscos!
Old August 25, 2006, 11:24 PM   #9
debraxh

TUG Member

Resorts: Kona Coast Resort, Mountain Retreat, Paradise Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestjoan
But without question, the best part of any trip to Frisco's is a treat they call the "Exploded Potato." The medium is enough to be a meal on its own; I wouldn't want to run up against a large. Baked potatoes are chopped, skins on, into bite-size bits and blended with bacon, butter, sour cream, chives and we can't guess what else. It's decadent comfort food at its very best. The flavor is beyond any french fry or potato salad you'll try. We would attempt to recreate the Exploded Potato at home, but we're thinking our arteries would appreciate it if we didn't try.

From Frederick Eats
Sounds pretty yummy, but I'd like to add cheese
debraxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2006, 07:53 AM   #10
Cat

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 16, 04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
I would still like the recipe if anyone knows it. LOL It is not a twice baked potato as it would put that to shame. Yes, it is a special dish from Friscos!
It would appear that you're not going to have much luck, as I understand it's a closely guarded secret that many have tried to glean for years, without any success.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2006, 09:09 AM   #11
Janis
TUG Member

Resorts: Royal Sands(15), Lawrence Welk Resort (25), Pelican Resort (51)
The secret ingredient they add is the Ranch Dressing that they serve with the salads at the restaurant.
Janis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2006, 12:00 PM   #12
MULTIZ321
TUG Member

Resorts: CELEBRITY RESORTS PALM COAST; CELEBRATION, ORLANDO; SEAWATCH AT ISLAND CLUB, HHI; RHC (POINTS)
Janis & Jimster -

It appears that you've both eaten and enjoyed the elusive recipe of exploded potatoes. I'm curious - I've read various desciptions in reviews - e.g., "homefries on crack"; "warm potato salad"; and Jestjoan's descripiton from Frederick's Eats - "Baked potatoes are chopped, skins on, into bite-size bits and blended with bacon, butter, sour cream, chives and we can't guess what else. It's decadent comfort food at its very best. The flavor is beyond any french fry or potato salad you'll try."; and lastly, Janis' mention that they have "Ranch Dressing".

Does the Frederick's Eats description include many of the ingredients that you think are in the recipe?

Thanks
Richard
MULTIZ321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2006, 10:22 PM   #13
Jimster

TUG Member

Food

Yes, many of the items mentioned are included. Part of the issue is what they do to the potatoes before they deal with the ingredients and I'm not sure of that. Also when you walk near the kitchen you see a very impressive inventory of herbs and spices. I'm sure they add their own ingredients and make large batches of them. I read one blog of a person that says she has tried many many times to recreate the recipe but with no success. My guess is it is a family secret but I thought I'd ask to see if others knew exactly how these were prepared.
Old August 27, 2006, 10:35 PM   #14
Cat

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 16, 04
It's a "trade secret" in the commercial kitchen, practiced by top chefs, when making potatoes to do the boiling or parboiling (depending on their treatment when combined with other ingredients) in de-fatted chicken stock. Adds a whopping uppercut of flavor.

In fact, I often do that when making plain boiled potatoes to accompany a roast or chops. It draws raves. Rich in flavor, but practically zilch in calories.

Although I've never had them, there's a shot that this might be a practice to contribute a super-flavorful canvas upon which to paint the other ingredients.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2006, 07:00 AM   #15
Janis
TUG Member

Resorts: Royal Sands(15), Lawrence Welk Resort (25), Pelican Resort (51)
It sounds pretty close. Although, I don't really taste any sour cream in it. Plus, they are kind of greasy - so I'm thinking oil instead of butter. I'll have to go conduct some additional research this week (!) and let you know what I taste.
Janis is offline   Reply With Quote