• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Black Sunday

steve41337

Reaction score
I have read posts mentioning decreased trading power as a result of Black Sunday . . . what is that all about? What is Black Sunday? Does it effect deeded properties?

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Black Sunday is a name given to the day that the trading system for the SA resorts changed to supposedly be in line with the way other exchanges around the RCI world were done. Effectively, the trading power of many, even most, resorts/units was impacted. Many resorts lost significant trading power, as even white weeks in SA used to trade quite well. Now this is no longer the case. In fact, however, many units now trade better, but you need to be careful if you decide to purchase a SA week. Yes, deeded weeks were effected.
I still like my SA weeks, but many do not.
Connie

steve41337

Reaction score
Connie . . . thank you for filling me in . . . I have four weeks banked from my Siilversands which I have owned since 2003. I just this yesterday traded a week for my use so I don’t loose it (the first time I have ever used a TS week). Other than the searches I did after I first bought Silversands a lot of time has passed (including Black Sunday) before I am again searching. My one bedroom red week seems to trade about the same as it did back in 2004. I booked into the GasLamp in SanDiego . . . but I had to do an ongoing search and grab it fast when it came up. I also had opportunities to book at the Coronado and Town & Country all located in Downtown San Diego area. I was only able to get a studio but we don’t plan on being in our room that much so it’s a good trade for us.

Strong1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

If your SA weeks were deposited before Black Sunday they will continue to trade as normal (I believe trading power is "assigned" when you deposit your week). So, if you deposit SA weeks now, after Black Sunday, you will see the effects on trading power on the new deposits only.

Hope this helps,
Colleen

cookie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Black Sunday Date

So if I deposit as soon as my weeks come into my account, what deposits would be effected?

Thanks.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another point that might negate the Black Sunday "spell" is to use your SA weeks to get points in return. I have a SA week and now I also own points. I can deposit my SA week into RCI, and then later convert the weeks to point under the current system that RCI offers. As far as I can tell, this avoids the Black Sunday dilemma, since points are points.

cookie

TUG Member
Reaction score
So how do I become part of the RCI points program? It is time for me to renew my RCI membership.

Thanks for your help.

Kim

Quickdraw

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a SA timeshare to use in the Points for Deposit program at RCI points.

Could someone give a little advice about what SA timeshares will give the best bang for the buck: points in PFD/$ spent and maintenance fee?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Devil In The Details.

cookie said:
So how do I become part of the RCI points program?
To get into RCI Points (as I did in a penny-ante way last year) I had to buy an RCI Points timeshare somewhere & pay money to join up with RCI Points (even though I already belonged to RCI Weeks).

Not only that, when I bought my resale week at an RCI Points timeshare resort, I had to make sure the particular week I was buying was already converted into the RCI Points system (& that it stayed converted after ownership transferred to me). Otherwise, if the week was not converted to points, then it's not part of the RCI Points system & neither am I -- meaning that I not only don't get any automatic annual RCI Points for the timeshare week, I also can't do Points For Deposit with it. (Points For Deposit means getting RCI Points for regular non-points timeshare weeks located at regular non-points timeshare resorts by depositing them into RCI Points instead of into RCI Weeks. Points For Deposit is done year by year, at the owner-member's option, if the owner is already an RCI Points member.)

To work within the RCI Points system, the particular timeshare week involved has to be both (1) at an RCI Points timeshare resort and (2) either born into RCI Points (i.e., a unit at a timeshare that started out in RCI Points from Day 1) or converted later into RCI Points.

Maybe RCI Points would attract more customers if all the whereases & therefores weren't so all-fired complicated.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
cookie said:
So if I deposit as soon as my weeks come into my account, what deposits would be effected?

Thanks.

As stated above, any weeks deposited now (post-BS) will have the "new & improved" or the "new & decreased" trade power. You won't know the 'new' trade power until you deposit them. Best wishes.

Phil