Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > General Discussion > TUG Lounge

TUG Lounge The place for all discussions that don't fit into the other defined forum areas. Posts discussing politics, religion, and controversial social issues that are not directly related to timesharing are not permitted.

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old December 3, 2006, 10:00 AM   #1
pcgirl54

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Marriott Barony Beach Gold
Gorton or Creton Recipe

DH Memere used to make this pork pate. My MIL made it but it was too dry and she would never release the recipe to her children. I know my FIL who was French Canadian used to make westerns with it and used it as a spread on toast. My husband is looking for a recipe just like Memere's. I do not care for it but he loves it.

Thanks so much.
Old December 3, 2006, 11:32 AM   #2
MULTIZ321
TUG Member

Resorts: CELEBRITY RESORTS PALM COAST; CELEBRATION, ORLANDO; SEAWATCH AT ISLAND CLUB, HHI; RHC (POINTS)
Pcgirl54,

Here is Emeril Lagasse's Creton Recipe http://www.recipezaar.com/17992

and another Creton recipe

and a traditional Christmas Cretons recipe from Quebec

and an interesting Chowhound thread on Cretons and a recipe if you scroll down

Richard
MULTIZ321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2006, 05:06 AM   #3
grest
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 8, 05

Resorts: Mt. Amanzi, Strand Pavilion, Seapointer, Place on the Bay
Yum! We had creton regularly when I was a kid, and in fact my mom still makes it all the time...but she can't seem to write down a recipe...she goes by taste and instinct, and it always works. I'll be back home in Maine for Christmas...will try to figure it out. Meanwhile, if you are in Lewiston, ME sometime, there is a privately owned grocery store called Bourque's Market, known for its great meats...they make creton, delicious creton, every week, both in the pork and turkey variety...I never heard of people ordering and getting it by mail, but it might be worth a shot..
Connie
grest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2006, 06:52 AM   #4
DianeG

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05

Resorts: Paniolo Greens (HI), Presidential Villas (SC), ex-Club Vacances Magog (QC)
Creton

Creton is not creton if you don't add cloves... creton shouldn't never be made bland.

My mother has been experimenting with various meat versions. Personally, I really can't tell the difference much when the pork is blended either with veal or turkey. The key is still to marble the creton with enough fat and to season it with enough onion, bit of garlic, bit of salt, more pepper, dash of cloves and bit of cinnamon. Sage is also nice in creton.

My local butcher carries an all-lamb version of creton that is now my absolute favorite. However, my hubby prefers the more traditional pork versions, which is quite funny because he's a Prairie-boy of Icelandic descent. He's been living in Quebec long enough now to merrit the title of 'Anglo-Québecois' He likes his creton on 'brown' (wholewheat) toast, on the side with beans. If we go out for breakfast locally and doesn't get either with the usual bacon & eggs, he feels seriously cheated
DianeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2006, 06:47 PM   #5
pcgirl54

TUG Member

Resorts: Marriott Barony Beach Gold
Thanks so much. Nice to know there are versions of this. Keep those posts coming.
My FIL parents were from an area south of Montreal. Both his parents were from large farm families of 17-18 children. Creton was his mother's special recipe. None of them sadly are no longer with us.