• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MGA and MG5 -- What's the difference?

Arb

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
In a search this morning, I turned up both of these entries. Can anyone on the TUG BB tell me the difference in the two???
Carole

Bill4728

Reaction score
Many resorts in II have more than one resort code. Sometimes it means that the units are owned by different groups and sometimes the code meaning is just a minor accounting thing. The the case of the Marriott at Lake Tahoe the two codes are just a stupid accounting practice and don't mean anything.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
If this is Grand Timber Lodge in Lake Tahoe, it's not stupid, it's two different resorts. One is the timeshare version of Grand Timber and the other is the fractional ownership side of Grand Timber. I believe there are some differences in the units.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If this is Grand Timber Lodge in Lake Tahoe, it's not stupid, it's two different resorts. One is the timeshare version of Grand Timber and the other is the fractional ownership side of Grand Timber. I believe there are some differences in the units.
MGA is Marriott Grand Residence Club. MG1, MG3 & MG5 also show up on searches as the same resort but are not listed in the directory for II. I'd guess they are developer deposits from undeclared inventory and not units accessible to members there at all, an accounting issue in a sense as Bill suggests. When resorts do a phased roll out they "declare" units into inventory. In this case a unit usually means a collection of rooms and not a single room. Once declared, they are part of the timeshare type system and no longer under direct control of the developer. Ideally they would declare each unit just prior to selling the first increment there. If they keep completed but unsold inventory under the developer roof they can rent it out, use it as bait for potential buyers, not pay maint fees on it, etc.

BTW, when a resort has multiple sections with distinct codes such as Lawaii Beach for example, they can put you in any section you want no matter what section you match to. Thus you can't use this as a way to stay away from lessor desirable portions of a given resort. Unfortunately.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
MGA is Marriott Grand Residence Club. MG1, MG3 & MG5 also show up on searches as the same resort but are not listed in the directory for II. I'd guess they are developer deposits from undeclared inventory and not units accessible to members there at all, an accounting issue in a sense as Bill suggests. When resorts do a phased roll out they "declare" units into inventory. In this case a unit usually means a collection of rooms and not a single room. Once declared, they are part of the timeshare type system and no longer under direct control of the developer. Ideally they would declare each unit just prior to selling the first increment there. If they keep completed but unsold inventory under the developer roof they can rent it out, use it as bait for potential buyers, not pay maint fees on it, etc.

BTW, when a resort has multiple sections with distinct codes such as Lawaii Beach for example, they can put you in any section you want no matter what section you match to. Thus you can't use this as a way to stay away from lessor desirable portions of a given resort. Unfortunately.

Now my head hurts. ;)

Arb

TUG Member
Reaction score

So, bottom line, when I click on MGA or one of the numbered elements of Grand Timber Lodge, I get the same sort of accommodations?

Also, I've read here that parking at MGA is at a price, but in one of the TUG reviews, the reviewer said that parking one car is free. Does anyone know for SURE which way it is??
Carole

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
So, bottom line, when I click on MGA or one of the numbered elements of Grand Timber Lodge, I get the same sort of accommodations?

Also, I've read here that parking at MGA is at a price, but in one of the TUG reviews, the reviewer said that parking one car is free. Does anyone know for SURE which way it is??
Carole

Better read the posts after mine. Apparently I was wrong.

Bill4728

Reaction score
NO, MGA & MG5 are the codes for one resort- Marriott Grand Residence Club at Lake Lahoe. The Timber Lodge is the standard Marriott TS, next door to the Grand Residence. It has a completely different ID code (MML). Both codes MGA & MG5, will get you into only one resort, Marriott Grand Residence Club -Tahoe, all with the same accomodations

RE Parking:
The last I've seen, the parking is free for any Marriott owner. Non-marriott exchangers will be charged a fee for parking (but not sure if this is true).

Last edited: