• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ready to buy Aviara gold - push me

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello

Done the stuff - read this message board for some time now -- joined TUG -- two weeks ago we stayed at Aviara ...this is it ... I have to have one of these!

Steve1000 wrote in another thread ..."If you buy from an "authorized reseller" you can get ability to do internal trading (as a practical matter this would allow you to trade to the Four Seasons Scottsdale at Troon North and possibly some other Four Seasons timeshares). I believe there are 3 or 4 authorized resellers including Triwest, Smart Choice Arizona, and Hotel Timeshare Resales."

I am looking at Tri West - they have 248 units ... really ...but wait - they must have a 'bunch' of FourSeasons units they are selling for the 'company' as the prices aren't much lower than the price quoted by 'Robert" at Aviara.

Both Smart Choice (doesn't list prices - want an offer first) and Hotel TS lists a few ...and if there is a 'fourth' - I do not know who that is.

Any comments on the path to go down?

So - is the use of 4 'approved' resellers a good way (for the company - that is ) to maintain a higher resale price? Just what 'premium' would you place on buying a unit from an approved ...verus what discount be expected to forgo the trades internally?

I have not seen any discussion on the ability to trade for "hotel rooms' at other locations. The web page I was told doesn't work (yet?) ...and a gold location will have 1750 'points' towards hotel stays - subject to a cap of 25% of users in Jan thru March 'trade in period' if that makes sense. Just what does 1750 get you??

I have seen Marriott at Newport - still want Aviara! Yes I know the MF's (and the taxes are on top of that as quoted by sales rep ) ...I guess I need a week so I can lose the 'title' of renter and get the better golf rates on repeat play ($250 then $50 thereafter).

And help for this 'semi-newbie' and 'Aviara wantabe' is appreciated.

Regards
Greg Henderson

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Update

Hello

boy - that seems so long ago - only this Jan.

Some points --
-when you buy resale you do NOT participate in trading for hotel rooms ( albeit one can say the hotel room option might be not a big deal)
-use Tri West - they seemed very good - they know that low ball offers don't help - we got a unit with 2007 use ...as an extra kicker - and keep the 'price' above $15k ( seemed like a unofficial limit )
-FSA says 40# limit for dogs -- but said can be flexible - $100 extra cleaning fee for dogs
-golf - can buy week pass--first round is $250 - then $50 every round thereafter.

Have yet to see any TS that comes close to FS ( but then I really don't like huge resorts like Westin in Maui, etc ).
Regards
Greg

Steve

Reaction score
Hi Greg,

I'm glad that you are pleased with your purchase. I have looked into purchasing at Four Seasons Aviara and probably will at some point in the future.

However, I would suggest that buyers consider other options rather than Tri West. They have a large inventory, but their prices are much higher than you can find elsewhere. I have found several annual gold weeks available for around $10,000. You pay a huge premium when you use Tri West.

Also, Tri West has very high closing costs. Twice as high as the industry average, and Tri West will not negotiate.

For great service, much better prices, lower closing costs, good inventory, and all the benefits of an "approved" Four Seasons resale agency, I would recommend Smart Choice Timeshare Realty. www.timeshareaz.com

If a person doesn't care about buying from an approved reseller, then there are a lot of places where you can find good deals on Four Seasons weeks.

Steve

Last edited:

RoverJohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that you consider not buying from an authorized reseller and go for the lowest available price. There is some question as to the value of internal trading - I found it to be very limited. If you already have an Interval International account, you can trade there. And most importantly, when you sell, you will go through the authorized reseller and pay the 10% commission. I believe that the only entity that benefits from purchasing from an authorized reseller is the authorized reseller.

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...snip ....Also, Tri West has very high closing costs. Twice as high as the industry average, and Tri West will not negotiate. Steve

Hello Steve

I didn't give much thought to closing costs -appreciate the reminder to do better next time. I wonder is there is a good 'ADVICE' section on closing details or to search. Still a bit green on the need for title insurance.

As always -- this TUG message board is full of really smart people- thanks.

ps - wonder is the 10k gold weeks passed ROFR ?

Regards
Greg H

Steve

Reaction score
Hi Greg,

I have heard from vary reliable sources that Four Seasons almost never exercises their right of first refusal. I am quite certain that the $10,000 annual gold resales have been allowed to go through...and probably a number of deals at even less than that. Unlike Marriott, Four Seasons does not have an active ROFR program even though they maintain that contractual right.

As for title insurance and closing costs, I think that many resale companies charge way too much. I personally think that $400 TOTAL COST...including the county recording fee...is the maximum that a buyer should ever pay for even the most expensive timeshare purchase. There are companies that will handle the complete closing process for $300...such as www.timesharetransfer.com I have also handled a few closings myself for virtually nothing, but I don't recommend this unless you have some experience in title or real estate.

Although I work in the title industry, I don't believe that title insurance is necessary for most timeshare purchases. It's certainly not worth the several hundred dollars extra that some closing companies try to charge. Unfortunately, some resale companies give buyers and sellers a ton of misinformation. While not as bad as the developers, they nevertheless mislead people in order to pad their profits.

Steve