• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana Villages - Amelia Section Tour Update, Best Developer Deal, Feedback Welcomed

ackerdl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone:

A few days ago many of you gave me some great advice before by tour here at Vistana Villages. I thought I would return the favor and summarize what I learned on the tour on Valentine's Day 2/14/07, including where the pricing currently stands for what I was looking at.

Sales Pressure: None --- absolutely none. Awesome salesperson who made it clear from the beginning that there would be no pressure, no haggling. He kept his promises. Extremely knowledgeable, listened well and tried to craft the best package that we would be interested in. His name is Mark Henes and I proudly pass his name along in the hope that he can help someone here (hopefully his supervisor is looking here, too). I have his contact information for anyone who would like it. He represented his company very well and was interested in developing us as "long term clients" of their company. He's one of their Senior representatives -- has worked for Starwood for 7 years and is an owner himself. Very knowledgeable and helpful. Interestingly enough, he shared that he is compensated not on sales volume but on owner satisfaction --- refreshing! I'm not sure if this is true or not for the other sales reps who sell to the "first time" lookers (not those on second looks such as ourselves).

Mandatory vs. Voluntary: Our salesperson confirmed that the Amelia phase is Voluntary (vs. Mandatory). I'd be interested in the opinions on this board as to why this decision was made by Starwood as well as thoughts on whether this raises or lowers the value of the purchase. If I understand it correctly, people could not buy an Amelia resale and use it anywhere but here in the Starwood system with Staroptions. Of course, they could deposit and trade it thru Interval. He did not confirm or deny that Starwood was getting away from doing Mandatories.

Progress and features: First, they are well in progress on the construction of the Amelia Phase (their new phase after Key West). 3 buildings are up, and a lot of ground is broken for several more (failed to ask how many total will be built). We toured a 2BR Lockoff. Very nice, very plush! The Amelia phase appears very similar to the quality and the design of the Key West phase with some noted upgrades. The televisions in the Amelia phase are all flat screen. Also, I noticed that the second bathtub is also a whirlpool tub. (This is not the case in the 2BR Keys units we are staying in -- not sure about 2BR Lockoff Keys units). They also did a few things with arches and curves on the walls that are very nice. Furniture and color are also similar with a few cosmetic upgrades on the furniture. Same great looking granite countertops. Curtains seem to be a bit higher quality (or maybe we just liked them better). Color scheme is generally yellow (walls) tan / brown (furniture and carpets) and burgundy (accents) vs. a little more green on the accents and carpets in Key West. The Key West buildings are cosmetically different on the outside (more white / cream colored with metal roofs) vs. the new Amelia phase, which appears more cosmetically similar on the outside to the bulk of the older phases of the Vistana Villages. We perceived high quality throughout the new units.

The tale of the tape: 2BR Amelia Lockoff measures at a whopping 1,588 square feet (1,004 + 584) vs the plain 2BR non-lockoff (1,102). For comparison, the Key Wests are: 2BR lockoff 1,486 (945 + 541), 2BR 1,126. The Bellas are: 2BR Lockoff 1400 (900 + 500), 2BR 1,080. The comment was made by the sales person that the pool / water features in Amelia will be superior to the others on-site and will include a waterpark (not sure what that means --- maybe water slides(s)?).

The pricing and my best deal: Current 2BR Lockoff pricing for the High Season (not Platinum) is $24,900 for 81,000 Staroptions and 33,000 Starpoints annually. $1,126 annual maintenance fee + taxes (maintenance fee alone is $950.75). Because we are on an Explorer package (we toured the Vistana Villages about 16 months ago) we were entitled to the old pricing at that time: $20,900. In addition, we received a $1,495 discount for the price we paid for our Explorer package (which included 7 nights at Vistana Villages + a rent-a-car). With those credits + a $545 debit for closing costs, our bottom line came out to $19,950. The Starpoints "gift" available was 120,000 Starpoints + 12,000 Starpoints for both my wife and for me for opening up a Starwood Amex card. We signed the contract, knowing that we can rescind it in 10 days. The discount and the Starpoints gift was interesting enough to consider. I also wanted to get hold of all of the Starwood literature and "legalese" in the case that I buy resale (which is most likely).

Feedback needed: As I am looking at this, the Starpoints gift used wisely equals approximately 2 nice 1-week European vacation stays at some category 4 or 5 hotels that would normally be cost-prohibitive due to the currency exchange rates ($300 - $600 per night). Although tempting, I'm not sure that the $9,950 difference vs. my original target price for a Vistana Villages mandatory resale of 81,000 Staroptions is worth it. Would we really pay our own $ to stay in Europe for 2 weeks at $300 - $600 per night ..... ?

Any further advice?

Requalification: Oh, he did confirm after checking that a voluntary resale could be qualified with a developer week. He was not able to put this in writing at the time (partially our fault for being in a hurry), and I let him know that this would be a contingency on us not rescinding the deal (he is working on the language now). Interestingly enough, he thought that it could go the other way --- that if I bought this week that I could also qualify a voluntary resale week in the near future. I expressed my surprise and also asked him to get that in writing. If this pans out, I will surely share with the board.

Where my mind is now: Rescind and start looking for an 81,000 point+ mandatory resale week, unless he comes thru with any surprises that allow for this purchase + the qualification of a voluntary resale in the near future.

Thoughts?

Dave

msweaver

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave,

I would personally not purchase a "volunteer" SVN week, especially from the developer. As much as Starwood likes to tout how much they protect owners' "resale value", the very fact that this new section of the resort is voluntary is an indication of where Starwood's true intention lies. They don't give a %#$%* about owners' resale value! What concerns them most is that people are buying mandatory VV units on the resale market and getting into SVN on the cheap.

What concerns me more is the long term value of the SVN system to members at VV and other SVN resorts. Opportunity to use StarOptions at other Starwood resorts is predicated on available units being released by owners who are part of the SVN. As resales occur (and they will), voluntary resorts will lose SVN weeks and the number of available weeks for other SVN owners will go down. Making it more difficult to "trade" into those resort.

Unfortunately, the decision for VV Amelia to be a voluntary resort is motivated by simply one thing: increased sales profit by Starwood.

I have been considering purchasing a VV unit for some time, but I would definitely opt for a mandatory week in the older section of VV.

Best of luck,
MW

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
ackerdl said:
he thought that it could go the other way --- that if I bought this week that I could also qualify a voluntary resale week in the near future. I expressed my surprise and also asked him to get that in writing. If this pans out, I will surely share
If this does pan out thats great!
Congrats on your purchase

Last edited by a moderator:

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave:
You wrote a very nice report but you seem to not have read what others have written in other posts before and in detailed response to your specific question before you attended the presentation.

1 - You need to buy the resale before you make the developer purchase and you need to get 4 documents in writing regarding that resale before signing the contract for the developer purchase. Don't believe what some nice salesperson says. SVO will not honor it.

2 - You can purchase a Key West MANDATORY developer for same price and incentive as the Amelia VOLUNTARY. MANDATORY is much better.

Congrats on your decision to purchase a timeshare but you can do much better. You should start over.
Duke

Bill4728

Reaction score
Dave:
You wrote a very nice report but you seem to not have read what others have written in other posts before and in detailed response to your specific question before you attended the presentation.

1 - You need to buy the resale before you make the developer purchase and you need to get 4 documents in writing regarding that resale before signing the contract for the developer purchase. Don't believe what some nice salesperson says. SVO will not honor it.

2 - You can purchase a Key West MANDATORY developer for same price and incentive as the Amelia VOLUNTARY. MANDATORY is much better.

Congrats on your decision to purchase a timeshare but you can do much better. You should start over.
Duke

I couldn't agree more.

There is no reason to buy at a voluntary phase of a resort when you can buy resale at the mandatory phase of the same resort. If you just had to own at a brand new voluntary resort (like princeville) then I can understand buying voluntary from the developer. Or if you had a voluntary resale you are trying to requalify, but they I'd buy in the mandatory section of the resort. The big difference is in what you'll be able to get when you sell the unit. There may be a $5000 -$10,000 dollar difference in the price when you go to sell.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am not convinced that Sheraton/Starwood/Westin cares to maintain their older properties. Proof of that is their recent slip to Silver Crown with RCI. Our experience was not great last visit, January of 2004. That does not bode well for the future of any of their properties, if you ask me.

Buying from the developer is just plain crazy. I don't get Staroptions and would love a better explanation of them, but if you can get Staroptions with a "mandatory" resale, then you should do just that.

If the Amelia section is so appealing, I guarantee that as an owner, you would get that section, no matter where you buy, over an exchanger like me.

I want to point out again, as I do all the time, Orlando is SO EASY to get into via the cheapest exchange weeks. We can get Vistana Villages with our week that has $504 maintenance fees through II, anytime we want. I saw list this morning that literally had almost every week listed from mid-April through next year, choose your check-in day of the week!

Those Staroptions sound like a great benefit and the internal trading with II for other Westin resorts would be another great reason to buy through Starwood, but I don't know much about the points. Can you explain how they work, what it costs to use them and the best way to take advantage of them?

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see where the OP states he bought Amelia section I'm assuming he bought in the Keys section and is just relaying tour info on the Amelia section

Bill4728

Reaction score
Why would anyone who knows about mandatory vs voluntary buy in the Amelia phase?

If you wanted to buy from the developer at VV, wouldn't you just buy in the mandatory Key west phase and greatly increase the resale value of your TS? I can't think of a single reason to buy in the Amelia phase.

armlem2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too think it is crazy to buy from the developer. I paid $ 6500 for VV 81000 staroptions this year. The reason to buy staroptions is to get into Harborside and the Westins since they hardly ever show in II. I never saw more than one with two Marriotts I use to own. I bought VV solely for the chance of getting into the beautiful Starwood resorts. As a voluntary I bought
Sheratons Plantation Beach for 3000 because it had no staroptions it was much cheaper. I was going to requalify it for the 81000 staroptions with a very cheap silver week when I ran across the VV for 6500, bought it and sold the SBP. If you want to requalify 81 or 148,100 staroptons buy those at a voluntary resort and find a cheap off season to buy from the developer, maybe an EOY. Save your money for the plane fares:) As others have said Orlando is easy to get into, VV is suppose to have 1500-1800 when built out and there are 8 Marriotts there. Easy to get a nice resort there. JMHO GL.

PS I got real lucky and got Harborside 6/30-7/6 on my first try this year. I will probably never go to VV.

Last edited:

RoverJohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Starwood still have in their inventory and sell Developer Units that are Mandatory, not Voluntary? Are the prices comparable to Voluntary Developer units like Amelia or are they much higher? And what is the price for a EOY Mandatory Developer unit?

John

armlem2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would think they still have mandatory but why buy a mandatory unit from them when you can buy one on ebay or another resale site for considerably less. There is no benefit other than to trade your week in for starpoints which most people on this site don't think is a good value.

RoverJohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, this is a rather sheepish admission that I bought an Amelia week. Yes, the points were important, the Explorer refund helped, but most important was the ability to re-qualify a unit that I had purchased on eBay last year. I was amazed at the options available to me on re-qualification. Now I am having misgivings - if Amelia is Voluntary, my newly purchased week loses great value in any potential sale in the future. I purchased primarily for the options, not the resort itself as I will probably never use it. I wanted into the Starwood system. Unfortunately, I was away from a computer and I did not know (and was not informed by the sales agent) that Amelia is a Voluntary resort, not Mandatory like all other Vistana Village units. Being 61, I want to make sure everything will transfer to my daughter. Do SVN/Options and points and all the other benefits of ownership, including Elite Status, pass to a family member, or are they extinguished at transfer. I am now considering rescinding the sale and maybe re-buying a Mandatory Unit later, possibly an EOY. I'd appreciate any help, either posted or emailed. Bargaining positions would be helpful. I still have 6 days to rescind.

John

oneohana

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi John,

As of a couple of weeks ago there were a few Kierland EOY left. I was told by a rep from *wood that SVN options and points could be passed down to family members. However, I haven't seen it in writing anywhere. It may be a few years til we find out from someone what the limitations are.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
When we purchased directly from Starwood, we were told that the deed could be passed to our children. Since it would not be a resale or anything like that, your children would have the deed and the Staroptions and ability to trade for Starpoints every other use year. That is my understanding.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
passing it on

we have three starwood timeshares and have three kids. if i give one to each one individually they will not have the elite status. i was told to make up a trust for us so the 3 shares and elite status will go to each of my children. everything will be under the trust and they keep all the benefits that we have now. if and when i go to 5* the platinum staus would also go under the trust so all the kids can enjoy that also.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to make sure everything will transfer to my daughter. Do SVN/Options and points and all the other benefits of ownership, including Elite Status, pass to a family member, or are they extinguished at transfer. I am now considering rescinding the sale and maybe re-buying a Mandatory Unit later, possibly an EOY. I'd appreciate any help, either posted or emailed. Bargaining positions would be helpful. I still have 6 days to rescind. John

Hi RoverJohn,

The info you are seeking is buried in the bail of hay of legal documents Starwood gave you when you purchased. Each issue (StarPoints, StarOptions, Elite Status) is probably covered in a separate legal document.

My Westin Kierland (an SVN Mandatory Resort) purchase paperwork included the following documents that attempt to explain what happens when I attempt to transfer my ownership interests to my children:

STARPOINT (SPG hotel point) BENEFITS

“Starpoints Disclosure Statement – Non-Florida Projects” (VR!DA151 (Rev. 2-28-06))

General Terms and Conditions – Paragraph 1

“… With respect to the Resort, only Owners of Vacation Ownership Interests in the Resort who acquire their Vacation Ownership Interest directly from the Seller of the Resort or from resales brokered by an authorized resale company, a subsidiary or affiliated company of such seller, or transferees of such Owners by will or intestate succession, or present or future children of such Owners who have otherwise succeeded to their parents’ interest (collectively, “Eligible Owners”) are eligible to participate in the Starpoints Conversion Program.”

SVN ELITE BENEFITS

“Starwood Vacation Network Elite Level Enrollment Form” (VO!DA045 (Rev. 7-11-05))

Paragraph 6

“I understand that only authorized SVN Resorts may offer or enroll SVN Members into SVN Elite. SVO Interests purchased through an unauthorized third party broker or on the resale market do not qualify for SVN Elite Membership. I understand that my SVN Elite Membership and related benefits are not transferable.”

STAROPTION (Internal SVN trading currency) BENEFITS

Since the Westin Kierland is a mandatory resort (meaning all StarOptions transfer to the new owner, even a resale purchaser), the issue of what happens to the StarOptions when transferring my interest to a child is moot for Kierland, but NOT moot for voluntary resorts such as Vistana Villages Amelia phase.

These documents suggest that I can transfer the SPG (hotel points) benefits to my children, but I can’t transfer my elite status to them (unless of course one interprets the SVN elite paperwork to conclude that I’m not actually “transferring” my interests to them, because my children are already “eligible owners” as defined by the “General Terms and Conditions” of the “Starpoints Disclosure Statement.") (Thanks SVN for putting out such crappy legal docs).

Your purchase documents control your situation and only you have access to them right now. If they appear confusing to you, I suggest having an attorney review them with you BEFORE your rescission period ends.

Do not trust or believe anything a salesman tells you. If what you want isn’t clearly in your purchase documents, it doesn’t exist, no matter what anyone at Starwood tells you. You expressly agreed to this limitation in your purchase document. For example, paragraph 5(d) of my Kierland purchase document says “[y]ou understand and acknowledge that no salesperson, broker or other person has any authority whatsoever to make any representation, agreement or warranty, express or implied, for US, except those expressly set forth in writing in this Agreement and the documents named in Paragraph 4.”

If you are remotely in doubt about these issues, RESCIND NOW before it’s too late!

Also, since Starwood is still selling Vistana Villages Key West Phase (a mandatory resort), and it is essentially priced the same as Vistana Villages Amelia Phase (a voluntary resort), and both resorts are located at the exact same place, why would you ever, ever, ever in a hundred million years ever make a developer purchase of the Amelia phase (especially since you are only using it to requalify a prior resale and you do not intend to ever actually stay in the Amelia Phase)?

Even if the whole children can inherent SVN status thing issue works out for you, I would still RECIND NOW and at least redo the requal deal with a Key West phase developer purchase.

Good Luck
--nodge

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Actually, this is a rather sheepish admission that I bought an Amelia week. Yes, the points were important, the Explorer refund helped, but most important was the ability to re-qualify a unit that I had purchased on eBay last year. I was amazed at the options available to me on re-qualification. Now I am having misgivings - if Amelia is Voluntary, my newly purchased week loses great value in any potential sale in the future. I purchased primarily for the options, not the resort itself as I will probably never use it. I wanted into the Starwood system. Unfortunately, I was away from a computer and I did not know (and was not informed by the sales agent) that Amelia is a Voluntary resort, not Mandatory like all other Vistana Village units. Being 61, I want to make sure everything will transfer to my daughter. Do SVN/Options and points and all the other benefits of ownership, including Elite Status, pass to a family member, or are they extinguished at transfer. I am now considering rescinding the sale and maybe re-buying a Mandatory Unit later, possibly an EOY. I'd appreciate any help, either posted or emailed. Bargaining positions would be helpful. I still have 6 days to rescind.

John

Rescind and Research.
Do not let the TS salesman tell you anything about this being a 1-time offer - won't be true.
Consider Kierland resale.

On a side-note - 78F in Burlingame yesterday! We were at the Apple Store and had lunch outside across the street at the Crepes place - in February no less - incredible.

armlem2

TUG Member
Reaction score
John why not rescind and be on the safe side. You know you can buy at a mandatory and requalify what you want. You or family members will get a higher resale value in the future should/when you/they decide to sell. Also now you know you can use buy an EOY and requalify your unit saving yourself a ton of money. These are things your sales rep didn't tell you so you owe him/her nothing. Save yourself thousands and use it for plane fare.

RoverJohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
To all who gave advice, thank you. and such sound advice!!!!!!!!!! I will recind tomorrow, even if I have to lose my Explorer refund. I will then do more research and possibly seek out an EOY at a Mandatory resort to requalify my Desert Oasis week. I may change my Desert Oasis ownership to include my daughter.

Thank You again - John

Bill4728

Reaction score
John,

The only reason I can think of to buy a voluntary from Starwood is if you must own at that resort. Princeville and Cancun come to mind. But VV has both voluntary and mandatory phases. If you don't want to lose your explore discount, just ask starwood to sell you a unit in the mandatory phase.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
John,

The only reason I can think of to buy a voluntary from Starwood is if you must own at that resort. Princeville and Cancun come to mind. But VV has both voluntary and mandatory phases. If you don't want to lose your explore discount, just ask starwood to sell you a unit in the mandatory phase.

True, but aren't all the new resorts Mandatory now?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I just don't get the fact that so many buy in Orlando. II's Getaways offer 1/2 bed units almost every week for $350-550. I'd rather pay when I want to go this way rather than own in Orlando with higher maintenance.

Of course, buying at a SVN mandatory property makes sense regardless of location if the price is right. Though even using those StarOptions to go to Orlando might be a waste of money, in my opinion, since you'd get more value from them using them elsewhere. Just my $0.02... :)

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just don't get the fact that so many buy in Orlando. II's Getaways offer 1/2 bed units almost every week for $350-550. I'd rather pay when I want to go this way rather than own in Orlando with higher maintenance.

Of course, buying at a SVN mandatory property makes sense regardless of location if the price is right. Though even using those StarOptions to go to Orlando might be a waste of money, in my opinion, since you'd get more value from them using them elsewhere. Just my $0.02... :)
True there are many TS's in Orlando. To get the the most requested weeks at any of the top resorts is still not easy.We go there 2 or three times a year its driving distance.your correct in that SOs can be used at better resorts in SVO. Having the choice is why people buy.

Last edited: