• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana Resort no longer with RCI?

tanguayc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just saw a post where Vistana Villages will no longer be able to exchange with RCI. Does this pertain to Vistana Resort as well? I have heard nothing about this. We are owners at Vistana and belong to RCI points. Will we need to change companies as well? If so, what happens to our ongoing searches we have?

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tanguayc,

Starwood Vacation Network (SVN) is no longer affiliated with RCI. This includes Sheraton's Vistana Villages (6059), Sheraton's Mountain Vista (6060), and Sheraton PGA Vacation Resort (6091). SVN members no longer have the option to use RCI.

However, owners of weeks at Sheraton's Vistana Resort (0450), Vistana’s Beach Club (2153), Sheraton's Broadway Plantation (4322), Sheraton's Desert Oasis (5247), or Villas of Cave Creek (7876), may continue to use RCI if they wish.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pay no attention to the weasels

So as a Vistana Resorts owner, who has converted to RCI points, we proceed as always?

Yes. What company the developer decides to go with after you own has no effect on you. In fact if a resort has affiliation with an exchange company and then "switches" any owner, whether they owned when the resort was affiliated or not, can still belong to and trade with the original exchange group as well as any new one the resort may hook up with. The arrangement for exchange is between the owner and the 3rd party company not the resort and the exchange company they may prefer. You call the shots and can ignore whatever bull the sales weasels or management may try to spew. Any exclusive exchange arrangement ends once the week is sold to an individual. It is only due to II/RCI choice that they will only deal with resorts who sign up rather than taking any owner who is interested. The control that developers continue to hold over exchanges tied to points systems rather than weeks is another reason why most developers have moved to multi-resort mini systems and away from the week for week model where the owner of the time had the control. That may be good or bad for the buyer depending on what they want out of thiner ownership.

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the complication in this case is that, for members of SVN, we do not technically have our own external exchange company accounts, rather we are included in the master Starwood account. That is why we do not pay for exchange company membership. So when Starwood's master account switches, so does our "free" account. So while you may get a "free" membership in II, you will need to pay for your RCI membership in the future if you want to keep it.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Can Believe It, But I'm Having Trouble Following It.

Yes. What company the developer decides to go with after you own has no effect on you. In fact if a resort has affiliation with an exchange company and then "switches" any owner, whether they owned when the resort was affiliated or not, can still belong to and trade with the original exchange group as well as any new one the resort may hook up with. The arrangement for exchange is between the owner and the 3rd party company not the resort and the exchange company they may prefer. You call the shots and can ignore whatever bull the sales weasels or management may try to spew. Any exclusive exchange arrangement ends once the week is sold to an individual. It is only due to II/RCI choice that they will only deal with resorts who sign up rather than taking any owner who is interested. The control that developers continue to hold over exchanges tied to points systems rather than weeks is another reason why most developers have moved to multi-resort mini systems and away from the week for week model where the owner of the time had the control. That may be good or bad for the buyer depending on what they want out of thiner ownership.
OK, so if I own a week at an RCI-affiliated timeshare resort that quits RCI (but they don't quit till after I'm all registered, signed up, & deposited with RCI), I can still keep on doing RCI deposits with that week year after year indefinitely into the future? Or future RCI Points For Deposit likewise?

If so, what does RCI do with my deposited weeks at that non-RCI (former RCI) timeshare? The timeshare is no longer affiliated with RCI, so the resort no longer shows up in the RCI Dream Book. Not finding it in the Dream Book, the RCI members looking for prospective timeshare exchanges won't know it's available. Possibly RCI members searching on-line might find a deposited non-RCI week -- might -- but with the RCI web site so dicey these days, that's questionable. And in any case, would that non-RCI resort even show up in the RCI on-line Resort Directory?

If RCI members don't know they can look for or request exchanges into that non-RCI timeshare week on deposit with RCI, it seems doubtful RCI would have much success exchanging it out. What's left? Renting it out I suppose.

Anyhow, the whole situation of doing RCI deposits with ex-RCI timeshare weeks seems semi-complicated & bigtime problematic.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

geekette

Reaction score
RCI will find a way to get the week occupied. If not exchange, EV, Last Call or one of their rental outlets to the public.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
If that is the case, why is Vistana Villages still listed in RCI's directory?

Joe
Joe,
Starwood owners are able to use up any existing deposits and travel on existing exchange vacations. For now, RCI still has some inventory at SVN resorts in 2007; however, these are all being transitioned to I.I. and we won't have any inventory in 2008.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
AwayWeGo,

In many instances, owners can continue with their first exchange company, as timeos2 says. They can continue to deposit their weeks, and RCI will continue to offer those weeks for exchange, as long as those members wish to stay with us.

However, club ownerships such as Sunterra and Starwood may not allow this. They are able to determine which company will receive the inventory they hold for their owners. In these cases, the owners must move to the new exchange company with their club.